As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post military education benefits

EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been in the Army for 7 years and I have 1 year left of IRR before I ETS out completely. I have completed 2 deployments to the Middle East and used only 1 semester of the MGIBill-Chap. 1607(REAP) benefit. I am now entering IRR and have been told I will no longer be eligible for the 1607 benefit while in IRR and even after I separate in 2009 (Since I'm National Guard, and unless you do 8 full years, that 10year window doesn't apply to you).

I think total, I have 12k in student loan debt, and I've been enrolled at school since 2001 (damn you Army, I'd be finished if it weren't for the deployments). I have enough money to finance myself for 1 semester of school, but the next semester will be the one I'm inquiring about.

I know that the Webb GI Bill does not take effect until August 2009, so my questions are:
1. Are there any other veteran education benefits I am eligible for? The VA website only lists veteran benefits for Vietnam/Desert Storm era vets.
2. Should I just take out student loans for this upcoming year of school? I wanted to keep it under 20k, but if loans are the best course, I suppose I don't have a choice.

And before anyone suggests re-enlisting, I'm not going to; I already know there are upcoming mob orders for the next 3+ years. My goal is to finish school, after 2 deployments I've seen enough of the Middle East and big Army that I wish to never have to deal with that again.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
Evigilant on

• Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You could be very likely eligible for FAFSA grants which is pretty much free money for military college students depending on you GPA. My grades arent all that great but I still got 1k just for applying and qualifying. Only problem is that I think its too late to apply for this school year... You at Belvior?

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You could be very likely eligible for FAFSA grants which is pretty much free money for military college students depending on you GPA. My grades arent all that great but I still got 1k just for applying and qualifying. Only problem is that I think its too late to apply for this school year... You at Belvior?

Oh I did the whole FAFSA, but according to my school, since it's taken me so long to finish and I've been enrolled for 7 years, I'm not meeting their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements, so I'm being denied financial aid.

I'm appealing that right now.

And, no, I'm not at Belvoir. I was at Richmond, Artillery unit. That was real nice because it was close as hell to school (VCU).

Evigilant on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ah ok, I can see where that'd mess up your application and what not. I'm sorry man. I really hate it when people make it unconditionally hard for military to better themselves after they've given so much. I have a bunch of friends that go to VCU and they all seem to like it.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Where are you registered to vote, soldier? My suggestion would be to contact your Senator or Congressman to get some help with the Vets. benefits package. Part of me wants to suggest contacting Webb's office since you're in VA but generally speaking, Congressional courtesy dictates that each member be given the opportunity to serve his/her own constituents, so as much as Webb will want to help you, it might be that all he can do is refer you to someone else's office.

Whoever you talk to, you've been working for the Government long enough that it's about fucking time the Government went to work for you. Contact your Senator or Representative(particularly if the Representative is a Democrat since party influence matters more in the House, or if any of your representatives serves on a VA committee) and get them to cut some of the red tape for you; you've certainly earned it.

ADDED : aside from going through the VA department, it ought to be noted that Virginia Commonwealth University is a public school; try contacting Gov. Kaine's office and explain the situation, maybe they can work someone out with the state dept. of education and have VCU overlook the SAP requirements for FAFSA.

SammyF on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Evigilant wrote: »
    Oh I did the whole FAFSA, but according to my school, since it's taken me so long to finish and I've been enrolled for 7 years, I'm not meeting their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements, so I'm being denied financial aid.

And, no, I'm not at Belvoir. I was at Richmond, Artillery unit. That was real nice because it was close as hell to school (VCU).

Isn't there a exclusionary clause for veterans and military deployment for any college or institution that accepts government loans and such?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    bowen wrote: »

Isn't there a exclusionary clause for veterans and military deployment for any college or institution that accepts government loans and such?

Apparently there is, but I don't know if my school is part of the organization. http://www.soc.aascu.org/

I went ahead and sent them an email, so I'll see what they have to say. After this, depending on the answer I receive, I'll submit my appeal as well as email the gov/rep/senator.

Edit: Apparently, VCU is not according to their list. Guess it's submit appeal and email the gov/rep/senator.

Evigilant on
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How many days total did you spend overseas? I was active duty as opposed to guard/reserve but the way I had it explained to me, it was less what you signed up for and more what you did. I was under the impression that if you served a certain number of days "Active duty" ie: your deployments, you would be elligible for benefits just like anyone else. Also, individual colleges offer scholarships etc. to veterans, just depends on the college you plan on attending.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    honkymcgoo wrote: »
    How many days total did you spend overseas? I was active duty as opposed to guard/reserve but the way I had it explained to me, it was less what you signed up for and more what you did. I was under the impression that if you served a certain number of days "Active duty" ie: your deployments, you would be elligible for benefits just like anyone else. Also, individual colleges offer scholarships etc. to veterans, just depends on the college you plan on attending.

The first time over, I was overseas 12 months (after leave and everything, around 18months total). The second time, 9 months overseas (after leave and everything 13 months total). So just short of 2 complete years.

The reserve/guard GI Bill works like this:
    The 1606 is the regular reserve/National Guard GI bill.
    The 1607 is the reserve/NG based on years of active duty service (i.e., deployments) based on <1 year, 1<3 years, >3 years, scaling based on how much you served.

The VA reply to my question:
    "In order to retain your eligibility under the REAP/Chapter 1607 benefit after you are discharged, you must first complete an 8 years of qualifying reserve service. Qualifying service is either active duty or reserve service, not service in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve). If you do not complete the qualifying service, then once you are discharged [or enter IRR], you lose eligibility to Chapter 1607 benefits. However, under the MGIB - Selected Reserve benefit, Chapter 1606, we can extend your eligibility period beyond your discharge date because of your call to active duty. Your extension will be the time you served on active duty, plus an additional four months, for each period of active duty service."

And I just realized I'm losing the MGIB kicker as well, which was another $200 a month.

Evigilant on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The first time over, I was overseas 12 months (after leave and everything, around 18months total). The second time, 9 months overseas (after leave and everything 13 months total). So just short of 2 complete years.

The 1607 is the reserve/NG based on years of active duty service (i.e., deployments) based on <1 year, 1<3 years, >3 years, scaling based on how much you served.

"In order to retain your eligibility under the REAP/Chapter 1607 benefit after you are discharged, you must first complete an 8 years of qualifying reserve service. Qualifying service is either active duty or reserve service, not service in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve). If you do not complete the qualifying service, then once you are discharged [or enter IRR], you lose eligibility to Chapter 1607 benefits. However, under the MGIB - Selected Reserve benefit, Chapter 1606, we can extend your eligibility period beyond your discharge date because of your call to active duty. Your extension will be the time you served on active duty, plus an additional four months, for each period of active duty service."

And I just realized I'm losing the MGIB kicker as well, which was another $200 a month.

Man you guys sort of get shafted. I mean its not like you guys werent over there doing the exact same thing we were, thats a pretty raw deal.

honkymcgoo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Man you guys sort of get shafted. I mean its not like you guys werent over there doing the exact same thing we were, thats a pretty raw deal.

This was a major campaign issue in a few Congressional Districts back in 2006. In my opinion it still ought to be. It's utter crap what's been done to the Guard in recent years, and since everyone knows its crap, it negatively influences recruitment and retention. Considering the importance Guard units play domestically during disaster scenarios, this ought to bother the hell out of Americans, both veterans and civilians alike.

I missed that the OP was a guardsman in his original post, which iirc means you are registered in Virginia? Definitely call Sen. Webb's office if that's the case. DO NOT EMAIL. Due to privacy laws, most Congressional offices now refuse to take new casework via email (because any random schmoe who knows your name could, let's say, start fiddling with your taxes). I know a few people who work in his office, I'll see if I can find the person who handles veterans issues in the Richmond constituent service office. ALSO: don't call both the House member and the Senator. I should have mentioned that they'll frequently avoid double-tracking constituent services because it frequently leads to working at cross-purposes.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's not letting me ninja edit for some reason.

I just called some folks I used to work with to clarify the rules on constituent services in these situations. Here's the deal: DO NOT EMAIL. Privacy laws have pretty much eliminated their ability to start a case file based on an email, otherwise someone who knows your name could try and start fiddling with your taxes or something. You have to send a fax or a letter to your local constituent office. For Richmond, that office is:

Sen Jim Webb
    Richmond Office
    507 East Franklin Street
    Richmond, VA 23219
    Phone: 804-771-2221
    Fax: 804-771-8313

The easiest way to begin this process is to fill out and sign a privacy release form with a description or cover letter detailing your situation. A PDF of this form can be obtained here. DO NOT START A CASE WITH MULTIPLE OFFICES - in other words, DO NOT CALL BOTH YOUR HOUSE REP AND YOUR SENATOR. They avoid double-tracking on constituent service work to avoid working at cross-purposes.

I know a couple people in his office, I'll see if I can find the contact info for the case worker who oversees veterans issues. Thanks for your service.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    SammyF wrote: »
    It's not letting me ninja edit for some reason.

I just called some folks I used to work with to clarify the rules on constituent services in these situations. Here's the deal: DO NOT EMAIL. Privacy laws have pretty much eliminated their ability to start a case file based on an email, otherwise someone who knows your name could try and start fiddling with your taxes or something. You have to send a fax or a letter to your local constituent office. For Richmond, that office is:

Sen Jim Webb
    Richmond Office
    507 East Franklin Street
    Richmond, VA 23219
    Phone: 804-771-2221
    Fax: 804-771-8313

The easiest way to being this process is to fill out and sign a privacy release form with a description or cover letter detailing your situation. A PDF of this form can be obtained here. DO NOT START A CASE WITH MULTIPLE OFFICES - in other words, DO NOT CALL BOTH YOUR HOUSE REP AND YOUR SENATOR. They avoid double-tracking on constituent service work to avoid working at cross-purposes.

I know a couple people in his office, I'll see if I can find the contact info for the case worker who overseas veterans issues. Thanks for your service.

Oh my gosh, thank you so very much. If there is any way I could repay you, let me know.

Here's hoping Sen. Webb's office can help.

Evigilant on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I used to work for the Democratic Party of Virginia and helped get Sen. Webb elected in 2006 so he could work on veterans affairs, his GI Bill, etc. Knowing that he's making a difference for service members who might be falling through the cracks is its own reward, I assure you. :) Again, thank you for your service!

edit: um but if you really want to help a guy out, vote Obama? :wink:

SammyF on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure of the program/bill name, but Virgina & Illinois are the last 2 states that still do this. If you enlist in the service and then return to the state as a resident then they owe you at least 4 years of college.

edit: um but if you really want to help a guy out, vote Obama? :wink:
    Screw Obama and his corrupt pal Tony Rezco. Because of all the garbage they've pulled my country (Cook, Illinois) has the highest sales tax in the state and country. Rod Blagojevich can go to hell too, his own party (Democrat of course) is going to impeach him.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Considering the importance Guard units play domestically during disaster scenarios, this ought to bother the hell out of Americans, both veterans and civilians alike.

It bothers the fuck out of me, and I hate the military. I think if you serve, everyone should get equal benefits.

Good luck, I hope to hear good news about it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Considering the importance Guard units play domestically during disaster scenarios, this ought to bother the hell out of Americans, both veterans and civilians alike.

It bothers the fuck out of me, and I hate the military. I think if you serve, everyone should get equal benefits.

Good luck, I hope to hear good news about it.

I agree, at least when youve served over seas. I mean, if you serve during 6 years of peace and only do like 1 hurricane duty, thats one thing. But when you spend the same amount of time doing the same job over there as active duty folks? Then youre entitled to the same shit.

honkymcgoo on