As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My student laptop thread (I want it all, and I don't want to pay for it)

littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
I have a question for you all so I figured I would make another laptop thread. I need a laptop for school; Here are a few of the characteristics I would like it to have:

It should:
-Have Windows XP or Vista, I don't care.
-Have a CD/USB Drive
-Be Quiet
-Have a decent battery life
-Not run too hot
-Not run like a complete piece of shit.
-Wireless functionality (built in or added on, whatever)
-It would be nice if it was somewhat stylish and not a brick.

It does not need to:
-Run games, or have any type of graphics card that costs more than 99 cents.
-Be really fucking fast.

Think of my dream laptop as the kind that every kid asks for when they go off for college. They're going to use it to learn and study and ooh and ahh. Except that's really what I'll be using it for, and nothing else. Browsing the internet and editing Microsoft Office Suite files will be 99% of the work done on this laptop.

So I ask you, citizens of the technology forum. For less than $750, what am I looking at? I think the fact that I don't care about the processor speed/graphics card to a major degree should help me in finding a lower priced one. I think. Is it still crazy for me to grab something like this on a budget?

newsig.png
littwentythree on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As much as I would recommend the Asus EEE 901 or the MSI Wind, they don't have CD/DVD drives.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It does not need to:
    -Run games, or have any type of graphics card that costs more than 99 cents.

Get anything with a Core 2 Duo and the Intel GMA X3100 integrated GPU. Presto, lots of computing power, good battery life, and utter shit for graphics.

Dell makes a huge lineup of these at the ~$500 mark.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a bit wary of any Nvidia 8x00 mobile GPU right now, until further word comes regarding a potential recall.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/10/all-nvidia-8400m-8600m-chips-faulty/2

Sucks, I have a XPS M1530 and Thinkpad R61, both with 8400s (NVS 130/135/140 is just a rebadged 8x00).

HP Home has a $200 off $999 coupon NB3408 right now that stacks with their listed discounts. For example the DV6700t SE has a listed discount of $150 so if you get the base price up to $999 it'll take off another $200, for a total of $350 off $999 - well under your $750 mark.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    As much as I would recommend the Asus EEE 901 or the MSI Wind, they don't have CD/DVD drives.

A USB attatchable DVD drive would be really cheap, if it's not needed on the move I'd say try and grab a 360HDDVD drive for the handful of dirt it costs at the moment.

Rook on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd probably go with the Latitude D531
    Mobile AMD Athlon TK57 (1.90GHz 256K) Dual Core
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1, With media
    8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™
    2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    120GB1 Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
    ATI® Integrated Graphics RadeonTM X1270
    Dell Wireless™ 1395 802.11g Mini Card
    6 Cell Primary Battery
    link
    for 579$

The EEE, and Wind look OK on paper, but realistically chances are the small screen size, crappy keyboards and processors will hurt your productivity enough it's just not worth the slight increase in portability.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The Wind looks great and the lack of a CD drive isn't a huge problem now that I think about it, but 10 inches of screen might drive me mad after a while.

How do dell laptops run? I see a lot of them, but, you know, DELL. Looking at the D531 right now.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dell is supposed to have great customer service so I would take that into account. I don't know why you would consider a laptop for college without an optical drive though...that would drive me nuts. "Hey man can I burn that CD real quick-never mind"

dodos on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would recommend something like this. For the price, it's a great machine. Of course, some of the Dell's mentioned above are good for the price too, but I always like to buy a little more so it lasts longer. And I know you said graphics don't matter for you, but it does have a good discrete graphics card, just in case.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't mean to be that guy, but if you're not running games on it would you be willing to consider a Linux system? There are some awesome UMPC's coming out with Linux on them. Enhanced security, list of Linux benefits etc.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    I don't mean to be that guy, but if you're not running games on it would you be willing to consider a Linux system? There are some awesome UMPC's coming out with Linux on them. Enhanced security, list of Linux benefits etc.

I don't have much against Linux, but I don't have much against Windows either and I've been using it for years. What would Linux help me do/help me do better that I can't already do with Windows?

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I would recommend something like this. For the price, it's a great machine. Of course, some of the Dell's mentioned above are good for the price too, but I always like to buy a little more so it lasts longer. And I know you said graphics don't matter for you, but it does have a good discrete graphics card, just in case.

That off-center keypad freaks me out, I'm left-handed enough already as it is.

Damn, I am picky. But these are some cool laptops and you guys are giving me some good ideas.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Dell Vostros appear to be rather nice. They're pretty much somewhat ugly-looking business versions of the mainstream consumer lines.

The e-value code 999-bqpr52k will get you a $50 discount on a Vostro 1510, if you get it in the next 24 hours. Not that you're buying within that time period or anything, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Frem on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

That off-center keypad freaks me out, I'm left-handed enough already as it is.

Damn, I am picky. But these are some cool laptops and you guys are giving me some good ideas.

That would be inconvenient if you're left handed. You could always get a mouse though, even a cheap USB one, if you don't mind the extra cost. They're pretty handy to have anyway.

Regarding Linux, from my experience I would say that it is:
    • Faster
    • More secure
    • More customizable
    • Better community
    • More stable (usually)

It has a learning curve (even easy versions such as Ubuntu), but it's pretty fun once you've learned it. I've always moved back to Windows eventually though, just because it's what I'm comfortable with. And Office is the best suite I've found.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pretty much the above reasons. There's usually a period of culture shock and then it's awesome. One understated advantage is excellent networking capabilities. SSH and Linux's inbuilt firewall immediately gives you capabilities that Windows users are accustomed to tossing coins over.

theSquid on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't have much against Linux, but I don't have much against Windows either and I've been using it for years. What would Linux help me do/help me do better that I can't already do with Windows?

Retain your virginity throughout college?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Retain your virginity throughout college?

PeregrineFalcon, spreading the truth, day by day.

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I have almost that exact same laptop, it's the intel variant however I think its the m-6750 not sure though, but it has wireless N as well. I got it for $599 cdn too :)

EDIT: Also LOL to the linux joke, thats gonna have to be sig'd I think

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

If you want something similar but with a Core 2 Duo instead of an AMD chip, next week Office Depot will have one for the same price, according to this circular. Also 14.1", also 3GB RAM, also 250GB HDD, also $630.

Here's a link to the full description/specs.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would ...avoid Gateway. I've seen too many that had issues to be comfortable buying one.

Frem on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    I would ...avoid Gateway. I've seen too many that had issues to be comfortable buying one.

This. My wife is on her third DVD drive in her Gateway notebook. Plus it had more crapware than any PC I had ever purchased ever. And it feels like a cooking surface when you use it.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have never had a problem with a gateway laptop, I have with a desktop once but not a laptop and I've owned two, got one for my GF and one for a family friend. They do have a lot of crapware, but you can download scripts to remove that shit pretty quickly.

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I had a Gateway that ate hard drives. The motherboard would just... eat it. Not to mention a whole host of other disturbing issues. Afterwards I disassembled it, put all the components into separate boxes and buried them all over Sydney.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

If you want something similar but with a Core 2 Duo instead of an AMD chip, next week Office Depot will have one for the same price, according to this circular. Also 14.1", also 3GB RAM, also 250GB HDD, also $630.

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I spent some time looking at laptops today and found that 14 inches was the perfect size for what I wanted (without being too small for me to want to use). I'll spend a few more days looking around, otherwise I'll likely go with this sometime in the middle of the week.

Edit: And I'd be formatting the HD and installing Windows XP. Gahhh preloaded programs.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Edit: And I'd be formatting the HD and installing Windows XP. Gahhh preloaded programs.

Just reinstall Vista. You should get a disk with it that will allow you to do a "clean" install of it. I mean, if it came with XP I wouldn't recommend spending extra on Vista, but since you have it you might as well stick with it. It works fine, and there's no real use living in the past.

But yes, a fresh reinstall is a must on any prebuilt computer from a major vendor. I don't think I ever even booted my Dell before popping the CD in and reformatting/reinstalling.

EDIT: Seriously, 99% of the negative things you hear about Vista are just geek urban legends, and the other 1% are things that you simply get used to (in that they aren't necessarily worse, just different).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But....we fear change.

I'll stick with vista I suppose.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I spent some time looking at laptops today and found that 14 inches was the perfect size for what I wanted (without being too small for me to want to use). I'll spend a few more days looking around, otherwise I'll likely go with this sometime in the middle of the week.

I'd also check this one out too.

Still a 14", but a Gateway. Comes with 4GB RAM, Vista 64-bit, built-in webcam and 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, but only Wifi a/b/g. The HP I posted earlier has 3GB RAM, Vista 32-bit, no webcam, 1.83GHz C2D, and Wifi a/b/g/draft-n.

It's $650 as opposed to the $630 HP at OD, but this one has no rebate. Depending on what sales taxes are like in your state, it could actually turn out to be cheaper, as rebates never include tax. Plus you'll probably get a few bucks in Bestbuy gift cards via RewardZone.

BubbaT on