Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Suikoden: Episode 24 - The End

SchideSchide You have dreamsEverybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So once upon a time I had this crazy idea of LPing all of the Suikoden games in order, well, at least the main series. This was more of a joke than anything serious because I said I wanted to do video LPs of them. Since that was a joke and would have been wretched, I didn’t think much about it. Lately however, after reading more screenshot LPs, I have come to believe that I want to do a screenshot of the entire series, seeing as how I was going to play through them this summer anyway. That might be a tad overly ambitious however, so I’ll just start off with the first game and see how it goes. So comments and criticisms, etc, I won’t be doing anything special, just commenting and explaining things about the game and cracking jokes and whatnot. Also I can easily post videos of boss fights or anything else interesting, so there’s that. Description time.

Suikoden_US.jpg

Ew, yeah, I don’t know why they made this the NA cover, it’s pretty damn ugly.

suikoden.gif

Better

Suikoden was an RPG that was released for the PSX in December of 1996 in North America after being released in Japan a year earlier. I was probably released in PAL format for Europe and such later, but I don’t really care. Hey let’s save some time and get a brief description from Wikipedia:
The Suikoden series is loosely based on a classical Chinese novel, Shui Hu Zhuan (Traditional Chinese: 水滸傳; Simplified Chinese: 水浒传; Hanyu Pinyin: Shuǐhǔ Zhuàn, Water Margin), by Shi Naian and Luo Guanzhong. Shui Hu Zhuan is rendered as 水滸伝 in Japanese, and read as Suikoden. Each game centers around relative themes of politics, corruption, revolution, mystical orbs known as True Runes, and the "108 Stars of Destiny" — 108 protagonists also very loosely interpreted from the source material. Though the games follow an irregular chronological sequence, the entire series takes place within the same world among overlapping histories. In some cases, several characters appear in multiple installations.

Sensational. Ok well that talks about the series as a whole, here are some specifics about the first game.

Being an early PSX title, Suikoden thankfully forewent the ugly, blocky polygonal graphics of the time (I’m looking at you, Wild Arms) and went primarily with a simple extension of classic 16 bit era sprites, with of course smoother animation, more frames, and all that nice stuff. As in most RPGs, the combat in mainly laid out in a turn based format, similar to Dragon Quest where you input your party’s moves and they perform them, then the enemy side takes its turn, and so on. We’ll get into the specifics later. Another feature of the entire Suikoden series is that in addition to normal battles which take up the majority of the game, there are also two other types of battles, duels and army battles, which again will be looked at more in depth when the time comes. Ok, good enough.

The first Suikoden’s protagonist is this guy:

tirmcdohl01.gif

He has a bandanna and a bo staff. His name in canon is Tir McDohl, but you can change his first name if you want. I did not because lazy. Also, those transparencies are ugly.

You’ll meet plenty of more characters in the coming whenevers.

One more thing, please tag all storyline spoilers for this game and further games until after I actually get to them. Thanks.

Episode 1 - Support Your Local Emperor

Episode 2 - Astronomy Domine

Episode 3 - The Beltway Bandits

Episode 4 - Run Like Hell

Episode 5 - The Village Green Preservation Society

Episode 6 - Mountain Jam

Episode 7 - Tumbling Dice

Episode 8 - Castles Made of Sand

Episode 9 - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Episode 10 - Dogs

Episode 11 - Stealing Stealing

Episode 12 - Life During Wartime

Episode 13 - Infrared Roses

Episode 14 - Jailhouse Rock

Episode 15 - Deserted Cities of the Heart

Episode 16 - Interlude

Episode 17 - Cavern

Episode 18 - Windy

Episode 19 - Vampire Blues

Episode 20 - Sleepy Time Time

Episode 21 - Is This Cloud Valley

Episode 22 - Rescue Rangers

Episode 23 - Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Episode 24 - The End

Schide on
x7SZWSn.jpg
Amazon Wish List -- Backloggery -- 3DS Friend Code: 3282-1850-1742

• SchideSchide You have dreams Everybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Episode 1 – Support Your Local Emperor
    Spoiler:

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this is one of my favorite games ever

be funny or I'll slit your throat

bar-cc-1.jpg
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you meant it was released in 1996, not 2006. :)

They probably changed the cover because they thought westerners would be frightened by the large eyes. How times have changed.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • Shady3011Shady3011 they cant troll you if there dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is not a blue dot post!

Give me some LP!

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love you so much. Suikoden is my favorite RPG series and this game brought so much joys to me when I bought it on a whim.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited July 2008
    That box art is awesome.

Dan Akroyd is a magical elf!

Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm serious

proceed with caution

bar-cc-1.jpg
  • SchideSchide You have dreams Everybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    admanb wrote: »

They probably changed the cover because they thought westerners would be frightened by the large eyes. How times have changed.

Ah, thanks.

First portion is up. I don't know if my funny will be up to Javen's standards, but it's about the best I can do.

Oh hell, I forgot to put no spoilers stuff in the OP.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Well say, it seems I don't know how to edit the thread title. Little help?

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Suikoden is an awesome series and I endorse this LP fully.

sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Use the advanced edit and change the title from there.

bO0v7.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    admanb wrote: »

Ah, thanks.

First portion is up. I don't know if my funny will be up to Javen's standards, but it's about the best I can do.

Oh hell, I forgot to put no spoilers stuff in the OP.

Good stuff, although I think it'd be better with more humorous summation of dialogue and less direct transcribing of it.

edited July 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

Use the advanced edit and change the title from there.

Got it, thanks.
    Good stuff, although I think it'd be better with more humorous summation of dialogue and less direct transcribing of it.

Yeah, I realized after I finished the first update that this way too much too long and probably wasn't necessary. I will definitely be condensing more in future updates. Which won't exactly be every day because these things still take hours to do.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Oh hey, nothing to see here. No way is this a ninja edit. Nope.

sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Great work, can't wait to read more!

Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Episode 2 – Astronomy Domine
    Spoiler:

Of course once again, comments and suggestions are welcome.

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good stuff, definitely better without all the transcribing.

This saves me a lot of effort because I was thinking about replaying this recently.

• CoreCore Registered User
    edited July 2008
    One of my favorites if not my favorite game of all time. I have played this game at least 10-15 times through. It's kind of funny cause I can just scroll through the pictures and know exactly whats going on. Keep up the good work. Though now I'm getting the urge to play through again...at least its a somewhat short game.

core_pa_sig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Episode 3 – The Beltway Bandits
    Spoiler:

Gamerstube is being a bitch about converting, so just use the Vimeo links for now.

Since I'm playing ahead, I'd like to ask right now if anyone has suggestions for a name of a certain something that we'll be naming in a bit.
    Spoiler:

Any suggestions?

x7SZWSn.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Last chance to name the thing you can name!

First if any gets it.

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited July 2008
    How about... How about CASTLE ANTHRAX.

It's a pity you couldn't rename the main character as Zoot, too.

edited July 2008
    Anthrax it is! You want that all in caps or normal?

I didn't want to start the thread without having some content so I couldn't let anybody name Tir. Ah well.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Anthrax as written is fine! I just like emphasizing stuff with caps on occasion. Also, I'm not sure weasels work too well as electric razor replacements.

• TheEternalCowboyTheEternalCowboy Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Posting primarily out of an obligation to my avatar, which has remained unchanged since 2004. Also, I haven't played this game in what feels like 10 years or so.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of other Suikoden games, if I may, I loved Suikoden V. I never beat it, however, because I was really off put by the punishment if you didn't get all 108 characters, which I'll spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    I don't like that kind of punishment, and some of the characters were very difficult to get even with guides. That ruined me wanting to finish the game. I like my happy endings.

Does Suikoden IV have a similar slap in the face? And how is Suikoden IV? I know it's one of the least favorites in the series, but is it still worth playing?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Speaking of other Suikoden games, if I may, I loved Suikoden V. I never beat it, however, because I was really off put by the punishment if you didn't get all 108 characters, which I'll spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    I don't like that kind of punishment, and some of the characters were very difficult to get even with guides. That ruined me wanting to finish the game. I like my happy endings.

Does Suikoden IV have a similar slap in the face? And how is Suikoden IV? I know it's one of the least favorites in the series, but is it still worth playing?
    Spoiler:

But I don't remember Suikoden V recruiting to be any more difficult than the other games. Of course at this point I've forgotten a lot about the specifics of it since I haven't played it since it came out.

IV is...IV is ok, but definitely the worst of the series. For one it did away with the six person party and anything that worked with that and made it 4 person parties, which severely screwed with some of the basic stuff, mainly the fact that you had two less spots in your party with about the same number of recruitable characters. I also found the main character to be very dull, and the graphics fairly bland overall. Also, you have to sail between islands for a fair amount of the game, and it takes frigging forever and has random encounters along the way. But it probably has one of the coolest "castles" in the series.

If you can get it cheap and like all the other games and recurring characters and the references it has, there's no reason not to get it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

But I don't remember Suikoden V recruiting to be any more difficult than the other games. Of course at this point I've forgotten a lot about the specifics of it since I haven't played it since it came out.

IV is...IV is ok, but definitely the worst of the series. For one it did away with the six person party and anything that worked with that and made it 4 person parties, which severely screwed with some of the basic stuff, mainly the fact that you had two less spots in your party with about the same number of recruitable characters. I also found the main character to be very dull, and the graphics fairly bland overall. Also, you have to sail between islands for a fair amount of the game, and it takes frigging forever and has random encounters along the way. But it probably has one of the coolest "castles" in the series.

If you can get it cheap and like all the other games and recurring characters and the references it has, there's no reason not to get it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

I already own it, I've just never played it. I had V, which I traded in for some reason. I regret that, but I just really didn't like what would happen if you didn't get all 108. I don't necessarily want to spend all my time looking at a guide so I don't miss any, because that's what you had to do. If you don't do certain things at certain times along the story, you'll miss a lot of characters. Being forced to do that just isn't fun, primarily if you want the good ending, and I just want to sit down and play my JRPG without breaking the pace.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    I think my favorite of the series was 3, though I liked 1 and 2 a lot, too. 3 just seemed so much more polished, and it had a griffin called Fubar, that you could ride.

A GRIFFIN CALLED FUBAR.

edited July 2008
    Spoiler:

edited July 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • FrosteeyFrosteey 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoiler:

It has the same thing in principle (just about), but it's much less pressing in execution. Really no big loss.

Barely worth playing. There's so much wrong with the game, from both a general perspective as well as a Suikoden angle.

I did like some of the character designs, though. I really liked Wendel (the 5% of the game I could actually use her was great!). Despite her not doing anything of any amount of importance, she's still one of my favorite characters in the series. And there were some more, like Flare and Olan and a few others. Of course, this is balanced out by characters that made me long for the days of Gengen...

---

I'm too lazy to actually go back and quote, but...
    The main character of Suikoden 4 was painfully lacking in pants and the ability to run in an acceptable manner

They could have just had him be a generic dual-wielding protagonist (which would actually put him pretty near the top of that particular category), but it was simply not to be.

And this manages to not be the biggest problem with the game...

---
    Kay wrote: »
    I think my favorite of the series was 3, though I liked 1 and 2 a lot, too. 3 just seemed so much more polished, and it had a griffin called Fubar, that you could ride.

A GRIFFIN CALLED FUBAR.

2 was prettier (1 was, and is, ugly), and it would be overall about as polished as 3 if it weren't for some of its gaffes in the war battles and a few other things. It's still pretty solid overall, though.

But I will concede that Fubar is not on my long list of complaints about 3.

frosteey.gif
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to take this time to note that the Gamebridge is a piece of shit. It keeps uninstalling itself, leading the crappy software that comes with it to stop recognizing it, but then when you try to reinstall it the software then crashes, forcing you to restart and possibly remove it and then reinstall it. Then that will happen again because the Gamebridge hates you.

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • Zealous OneZealous One Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Good stuff so far. I love 2 and played the hell out of it, but I've never actually gone through 1 before, so it's fun seeing some of the differences, as well as a few characters I recognize. Keep it up!

sig.gif
    edited July 2008
    Episode 4 – Run Like Hell
    Spoiler:

I tried the text one size step up so that it isn't engulfed in the pictures and maybe easier to read. Let me know if that makes it suck or not.

Also, now is the time that you can maybe choose party members. I've gotten to the point where you get party options, so suggest away. Now, what I could do is stop playing ahead and let you guys choose my party (as much as the game permits) for every update. But then I wouldn't have any updates buffers. Let me know what you think.

Possible party members for update...I guess it will be 9 (2 open slots)
    Spoiler:

x7SZWSn.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I vote Tai Ho and Yam Koo, the drunken fisherman brothers extraordinaire!

• GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    whats the deal with people naming their castle ANTHRAX

I've always done that just out of habit because I am unoriginal and was ripping off monty python.

Is there some sort of secret in the game i was finding without realizing it?

Also 2 and 3 were both amazing. nothing has really gotten back to that level for me in the RPG world since.

3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
    edited July 2008
    Suikoden II is probably the second- or third-greatest RPG ever, depending on my mood.

edited July 2008
    II is my third favorite, that hasn't changed in years. Tai Ho and Yam Koo and good because I can demo their Unite attack. Although I would have done that anyway.

I suspect people naming their castle ANTHRAX is just do the Monty Python connection. I'm pretty sure there's nothing secret about it.

x7SZWSn.jpg
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User
    edited July 2008
    You should have snagged that Fortune rune in the beginning. I love doing that. On the way there, you can usually pick up a couple Water Rune Fragments from those blue slugs to pop in Tir's weapon. Regen and doubled exp make him essentially invulnerable for the first half of the game. I guess it's cheese though.

Has anyone discovered a way to make Gremio not suck ass? Story wise,
    Spoiler:

And I demand that you utilize Fu Su Lu immediately when he becomes available and never stop.

Keep it coming.

edit: Tai Ho and Luc. We all know Luc is a fucking demon, but he's damn good. I'm pretty sure he's the best mage in the game until Crowley.

edited July 2008
    My votes are for Tai Ho and Yam Koo for a while, then maybe Camille and Sergei. I can't even remember who Sergei is.

I -do- remember that there were so many trash characters (poor Gremio), and some that were so insanely good you were retarded not to use them (Hi Luc! Hi Flik! Hi Victor!)

Oh oh oh! Are you getting the squirrels? Or is it dogs in 1, I forget.