As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the big ass LONGBOARDING thread (no surfers allowed)

Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
longboards: dear god, but why?
  • because they're awesome
  • you look totally sweet when riding them
  • they are unbelievably fun.
  • see #1

so tell us xenocide, what are longboards?

well it's a board that is long, duh

but let's consult wikipedia on this subject, as well:

Longboard (laaaawwng-boooord):

A longboard is a skateboard with a longer and sometimes wider shape used for longboarding. They are most commonly used for either downhill racing or transportation. Longboards can be shaped in various different ways, depending on the type of riding intended. Their greater weight and bulk makes them less suitable for many skateboarding tricks, but contributes to a fluid motion by providing more momentum. Longboarding is often compared to surfing on concrete, and the design allows big turns or quick short carves similar to a surfboard.

now that introductions are out of the way, how about some sick fucking videos YEAH

pacific northwest longboarding
vancouver bc crazy longboarding
my personal favorite

tricks and tips-

beginner longboard tips
tip #2 in same series

do you have what it takes to ride a very long board?*

*if so, let's discuss the shit out of it.

i wanted love, i needed love
most of all, most of all
someone said true love was dead
but i'm bound to fall
bound to fall for you
oh what can i do
Xenocide Geek on

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been meaning to learn how to surf, but... damn you.

ege02 on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, two posts?

I've been longboarding since I got out of high school ('05) with several friends. I live in Gainesville, Fl (University of Florida/Gators woo!) so there isn't much to ride what with Florida being fairly flat..

That said, there is one fairly nice hill that my friends and I used to bomb all the time. We found a place outside of town that's kind of like a drainage ditch going down hill.. tons of fun.

In the end though I've stopped doing the dangerous stuff (going against traffic, bombing big hills, walking down and up the board while going downhill..) and settled for using my longboard for transportation on campus.

Sadly I was going down a hill on campus and my back truck snapped off. I handled it well, but I don't have the money for new trucks so it's been broken for quite some time..

I rode a 56 inch beauty: DREGSTANKERBLUE-bottom.jpg Dregs Supertanker.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anyone know where I can get one of these in Vancouver? I asked a sales rep at a local West 49 and he looked at me like I was from another planet.

Azio on
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Longboards are way too easy to ride.

An Angel on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is the most hipster shit.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get one of these in Vancouver? I asked a sales rep at a local West 49 and he looked at me like I was from another planet.

Try looking online. Anything you find in a skate shop or clothes store will probably be shit and overpriced..
    An Angel wrote: »
    Longboards are way too easy to ride.

I think they're more stable and able to turn better than regular skateboards because their built more for speed than... tricks.. which may be why they're easier to ride at slow speeds.

At least in my experience. I've always been MUCH faster on my longboard while bombing hills than a friend who solely rides shortboards. And in the end.. I've always found speed/a nice ride more fun than showing off tricks..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well at least we can all agree they're cooler than riding an electric skateboard.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My friend started longboarding awhile ago and I'd like to try it out. Any tips for finding a good beginner board?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't longboard but I would definitely smoke a bowl with the guys in that first video.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

you're stupid.
    My friend started longboarding awhile ago and I'd like to try it out. Any tips for finding a good beginner board?

i bought my brother a longboard for his birthday, first one he had... it was a sector 9 padang, and it has served him well

as for longboards being easy to ride, yeah, hopping on one and scooting around is easy. but that's barely even scratching the surface of what you can actually do on a longboard, like, the scary stuff.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited July 2008

you're stupid.

From the guy on the long board. Don't forget your army-style cap and iPhone next time you're cruising the streets.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    From the guy on the long board. Don't forget your army-style cap and iPhone next time you're cruising the streets.

Most, and I'm talking 30-40 people, I know who longboard got into it because of surfing. It's a close alternative. Something to practice on when the waves are shit or you live too inland. Labeling all longboarders as "hipsters" is kind of ignorant. The guys you see on the sidewalk cruising around town.. they're hipsters. The guys bombing hills and skitching cars.. they're longboarders.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fuzz wrote: »

Try looking online. Anything you find in a skate shop or clothes store will probably be shit and overpriced..

My local Zumiez or Zumeiz or Zebedeedo or whatever sells some pretty decently priced Sector Nines.

Anyway, yeah, I started skating around 9th grade or so and was introduced to longboarding last year. Haven't looked back since. My campus is all hills so for the 35% or so of each semester that we're not covered in ice and snow and other forms of old man winter's hellwraith, I'm longboarding around all the time. And now that it's summer, I get to go to awesome places like Montauk on the weekend and impress chicks with my incredible ability to glide on past.

It's good fun.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Most, and I'm talking 30-40 people, I know who longboard got into it because of surfing. It's a close alternative. Something to practice on when the waves are shit or you live too inland. Labeling all longboarders as "hipsters" is kind of ignorant. The guys you see on the sidewalk cruising around town.. they're hipsters. The guys bombing hills and skitching cars.. they're longboarders.

Fair enough. The only people I see on long boards are people with messenger bags, with their iPod, on their way to the office or to the university. It smacks of total 'hipsterism' to me, but if there are people out there who use them in order to keep their surfing or snowboarding skills tuned up during the summer, then all the more power to them.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have you considered the possibility that the majority of those people are actually perfectly fine and you are just being extremely judgemental, projecting your own insecurities upon random strangers that you perceive as being too trendy?

Azio on
  • Options
    washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What would you do if your commute home was bombing a big hill with a stoplight at the bottom? Do they make any with built in brakes or weird shit like that? It's awesome to go bomb some hill someplace where you have the freedom to slow down at the bottom of the hill but what do you do when you can't?

washout on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Have you considered the possibility that the majority of those people are actually perfectly fine and you are just being extremely judgemental, projecting your own insecurities upon random strangers that you perceive as being too trendy?

If I was insecure, I'd be one of those guys on the longboards on the way to the office.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why exactly are you so angry at people who ride longboards as a method of transport?

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Fair enough. The only people I see on long boards are people with messenger bags, with their iPod, on their way to the office or to the university. It smacks of total 'hipsterism' to me, but if there are people out there who use them in order to keep their surfing or snowboarding skills tuned up during the summer, then all the more power to them.

What is wrong with being a hipster?

ege02 on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    If I was insecure, I'd be one of those guys on the longboards on the way to the office.

They aren't hurting you or themselves. Your anger is... confusing.

That said, I busted my ass snowboarding for the first time last winter and I'm sure I'd kill myself on one of these things.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey now, this is interesting. I'm an avid snowboarder, and I detest how rusty I feel during the summer layover. Does longboarding really help keep a snowboarder like myself in tune?

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

you're stupid.
    iPhone

Now you went too far

An Angel on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey now, this is interesting. I'm an avid snowboarder, and I detest how rusty I feel during the summer layover. Does longboarding really help keep a snowboarder like myself in tune?

In my experience, snowboarding is far more taxing on the body than longboarding. I suspect this is because when you snowboard you're constantly carving, which is basically your muscles generating force against the snow, making the board turn.

ege02 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bombing down big hills is A.

Not staying up while doing so, C-

The story you get to tell about how you almost hit an oncoming semi, A+

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There was this guy back in my hometown who would ride around downtown on a longboard with those insane looking "off-road" wheels. I always wondered if he was actually capable of riding that thing on, e.g., dirt trails.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    There was this guy back in my hometown who would ride around downtown on a longboard with those insane looking "off-road" wheels. I always wondered if he was actually capable of riding that thing on, e.g., dirt trails.

The larger the wheels, the easier it is to ride on less smooth roads. Big wheels are typically for off-roaders.

Think about the difference in wheel thickness between a mountain bike and a road bike.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bombing down big hills is A.

Not staying up while doing so, C-

The story you get to tell about how you almost hit an oncoming semi, A+

That Vancouver, BC video, where the guy hits the back of a truck? Brutal. I'd hate to hit something full stop going 20-30 miles an hour.

Or at all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Today, I taught my dog to pull me along on my board while he walked. It's pretty fantastic, if incredibly lazy.

Reckless on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My friend got hit by a car while longboarding once.

We were riding over an overpass together on the sidewalk side, me on my scooter and him on his longboard. We were moving past the off-ramp from the highway and a car came up behind him, slowing down just enough to knock him off his board and stop on top of the board. The board was actually ok, as was he, considering that he promptly jumped up and started yelling "WOOOOOO I JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR YEAHHHH FUCK YEAHHH." It was a total adrenaline rush, I'd imagine, to be hit by a car and not have any injuries -- the dude is not an asshat or anything, he wasn't trying to get run over. It was pretty funny, definitely.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    washout wrote: »
    What would you do if your commute home was bombing a big hill with a stoplight at the bottom? Do they make any with built in brakes or weird shit like that? It's awesome to go bomb some hill someplace where you have the freedom to slow down at the bottom of the hill but what do you do when you can't?

I don't believe they make brakes.. there are certain longboards that have an extra wheel in the middle.. apparently with practice you can use that as a brake..

What you gotta do is plan out your route ahead of time. To be on the safe side walk up and down the hill first, take notes of potholes and such (Pot holes cause instant crash and in some cases broken wheels/trucks. It sucks :(), places where traffic comes in, and make sure you have plenty of room to slow down/stop at the bottom.

I know, this doesn't exactly have "awesome bad ass" written all over it and honestly riding around not caring is lots of fun.. but I've had too many incidents to treat it in such a way anymore..

At the very least make sure you can see the bottom of a hill before you bomb it. I remember bombing a curving hill that ended with a sudden brick wall.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    dingydingy Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    some good video links in here. Here are a couple more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjagcs3doZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-V67gMD-tg

and if you are looking for a longboard go to http://www.landyachtz.com they have all types of boards for carving beginners to boards for world championship racers

dingy on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like fun but nothing is more fun than kitesurfing. And kiteboarding has the highest ratio of hot chicks. I can assure you.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    1NV1KT051NV1KT05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love longboarding, it's really relaxing. I had my board custom made by a friend of mine, and I'm always looking to hook him up with some work, so if anyone is interested PM me and I'll hook you up. I designed the artwork using Illustrator and he did the rest, I've seen him work with mediums like wallpaper, he's a hell of an artist. Here's the final product after I added gear: Edit: She's 42" long.

th_DSC02657.jpg
    th_DSC02656.jpg
    th_DSC02658.jpg

Besides that, check out this sick video of an amazing board: Whirling Dervish

Happy carving all.

1NV1KT05 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    funny this thread got bumped, in time for my injury

so on thursday i was bombing down a hill by my house, nothing too major. i was going prolly 15mph, wearing shorts, flip flops, and a tshirt. everything was goin schweet, had my weight planted forward to prevent speed wobbles...

... bam, next thing i know my board has 100% stopped, and i'm flying through the air for a good, oh, 7 feet. my shoulder hits the ground, and i slide for about 15 feet until i finally stop.

my entire right side is fucked up - my knee, my back, my shoulder, my elbow, and especially my wrists. fortunately, no broken bones, but both my hands are completely devoid of strength, and i was given wrist splints by the doctor to wear. my right wrist is the size of a fucking balloon, with a bruise that's like, a 8" long and 3" wide going down my entire right arm

lesson learned? wear protective gear. i'm lucky my head didn't get fucking owned.

it's sad too because what threw me off my board was an itty bitty rock - it was just shaped like a pyramid. acted like a perfect wheel stop.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Damn Xenocide, same thing happened to me about two weeks ago - tiny rock took me for a spill and I've got a hairline fracture in my tibia plus a lot of brusing. The x-rays also found a bone tumor in there that I'm getting removed in December.

Reckless on
  • Options
    *shrug**shrug* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I definitely saw some of those people in the Vancouver BC video longboarding through downtown Van. last Christmas, wearing Santa hats and weaving through traffic. There was like 70 of the motherfuckers. Must have been some of the same.

*shrug* on
  • Options
    1NV1KT051NV1KT05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Check out some amazing info on the website: Faltownskateboards. Also check out the Skate Skool link (Tricks 7-12) for a great tutorial on making slide gloves, which are a must for beginning sliding. I just bought the gloves I'm going to use, I picked up a pair of Kinco Suede Cowhide Unlined Drivers but the hardware was out of UHMW plastic till Friday. Anyway, there you go.

1NV1KT05 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]