As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

thinking about upgrading my computer

JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
i didn't see a computer megathread, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

After seeing cool stuff like Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Dragon Age, I was thinking about upgrading a bit. Money isn't a huge limiting factor but I'd like to be smart with my purchases. I am not clueless when it comes to upgrading, but I'm very out of date as I don't keep up with what's what (as you can see, my computer is an alienware that's a few years old). I'm not sure if it's even smart to upgrade now, but a step in the right direction from people that know better never hurts. Here are my current specs:

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4600+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows®
Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Motherboard
Graphics Processor: Dual 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GT - SLI Enabled
Memory: 2GB Low-Latency Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 at 333MHz - 4 x 512MB
System Drive: High Performance - 80GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache

Thanks in advance

JeffH on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I doubt it'd be worth it to upgrade at this point. Those specs will run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (Hell, I bet a pair of 7800GTs in SLI outperform my 8800 GTS). The limiting factor right now is your VRAM - 256MB isn't a lot. I'd say wait another year, then get a single near top of the line 1GB card.

If you REALLY want to spend money, maybe go to the X2 6000+ and a couple more gigs of RAM.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Might want to hold off a bit, unless absolutely necessary. Seems graphics cards are going to be seeing some huge drops in prices soon. See this news post on GTX 200 price drops. They suggest holding off until about August for the best savings.

KVW on
  • Options
    xenchuxenchu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd hold out for a few months - as said, your system isn't horrible at this point. If you're short on space, maybe pick up a 2nd hard drive, but otherwise, you should be good.

After the next generation of Intel processors and hopefully some more affordable video solutions from ATI/Nvidia I'd say it would be worth it to upgrade.

xenchu on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably best to list your PSU as well, I'm not sure what Alienware's use but I would hope they were high quality. And you'll need to find out all you can about the motherboard as that's going to be the sticking point.

Assuming your mobo could take it, an ATI 4850, 3-4GB DDR2, a new HDD with 16/32MB Cache and maybe a AMD X2+ 6000+.

The graphics card is a smart upgrade no matter what you're doing, you'll see a massive performance jump with the card. Memory and HDD should just get things ticking by quicker. And the processor will help out a bit in some games, but isn't essential.

And never buy alienware again.

Rook on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1. buy your parts from newegg (or something like tigerdirect)

2. you can will be able to play diablo 3 and SC2 just fine, as someone already said.

3. your computer looks good, if you were going to upgrade I second waiting for price drops and grabbing a new graphics card, but really what you've got is good, only thing that might be annoying is games without sli support.

If you end up waiting a while, keep in mind what games you want to play. Direct x 10 support from your operating system (vista only :|) and graphics card might be nice, right now everything is DX 9 so it doesn't matter (newer graphics cards support dx 10 but games don't use it).

Dman on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're buying a new computer to play games which aren't out, you should probably wait until those games are out.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Probably best to list your PSU as well, I'm not sure what Alienware's use but I would hope they were high quality. And you'll need to find out all you can about the motherboard as that's going to be the sticking point.

The motherboard is most likely a Socket AM2. If it's a 939 then he's stuck, but his processor is fine for the foreseeable future. His MB will be PCI-E because SLI requires PCI-E. His PSU will be sufficient since he's running two power hungry cards at the same time and we're recommending he drop to one. He's got four RAM slots and MBs have been able to take 4GB for a long time. I can't imagine an upgrade his MB couldn't handle considering the hardware already loaded onto it.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the help guys, I will end up waiting as suggested, guess I just got a little too excited after seeing Dragon Age ;) Makes much more sense to wait since the game is probably far away. Thanks for the help, and the suggestions for the future

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

The motherboard is most likely a Socket AM2. If it's a 939 then he's stuck, but his processor is fine for the foreseeable future. His MB will be PCI-E because SLI requires PCI-E. His PSU will be sufficient since he's running two power hungry cards at the same time and we're recommending he drop to one. He's got four RAM slots and MBs have been able to take 4GB for a long time. I can't imagine an upgrade his MB couldn't handle considering the hardware already loaded onto it.

If he's only got DDR1 ram, that's 184pin and DDR2 is 240pin. And I really don't think they made a AM2 that took DDR1 but I could be wrong. And alienware loves to overload the best onto a shitty frame.
    JeffH wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys, I will end up waiting as suggested, guess I just got a little too excited after seeing Dragon Age ;) Makes much more sense to wait since the game is probably far away. Thanks for the help, and the suggestions for the future

A new graphics card ($200) would still be a smart purchase if you game at all at the moment and blow your existing SLI out of the water.

Rook on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why 2 256 cards in SLI vs. a single 512 8800 GTS/X? I would be surprised if the SLI duo outperformed the single 512.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why 2 256 cards in SLI vs. a single 512 8800 GTS/X? I would be surprised if the SLI duo outperformed the single 512.

I wouldn't have dual SLI cards, nor alienware, if I was buying a computer right now, but such is life, you live, you learn.

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If he's only got DDR1 ram, that's 184pin and DDR2 is 240pin. And I really don't think they made a AM2 that took DDR1 but I could be wrong. And alienware loves to overload the best onto a shitty frame.

Ahh, that's correct. So he DOES have a 939 board, which means if he wants to upgrade his processor, he needs a new board, which means new RAM. And if he wants to his Video Card, too, he may as well buy a whole new system.

But I stand by my wait a year suggestion. I don't think an 8800 is going to outperform a pair of 7800s. According to Tom's Hardware, 2 x 7800GTX (512MB) is slightly faster than an 8800GTS (512MB) that's been overclocked. I know his are only 256MB, but I doubt the performance increase he'll see will be worth the price.

Wait at least one more graphics card generation. Then an upgrade will be worth it.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the 7800GT is still a capable card depending on what resolution you are running at. was running a single 7800GT at 1280x1024 and it was okay. I could run games like UT3 at medium quality at that resolution. I upgraded to a 22" LCD and at 1680x1050 the single 7800GT was starting to show it's age. I got a 4870 and my benchmark scores literally doubled. Granted since you're running SLI it won't be so pronounced, but I'll still be willing to bet you'll see a 50-75% increase in your gaming fps and 3dmark scores if you upgrade to a 4870, and you don't have to worry about the headaces of SLI.

I'm running a system very similar to yours actually, I have a 4400+ with 2GB of DDR1 on nForce4. so you can take my advice to the bank.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

Ahh, that's correct. So he DOES have a 939 board, which means if he wants to upgrade his processor, he needs a new board, which means new RAM. And if he wants to his Video Card, too, he may as well buy a whole new system.

But I stand by my wait a year suggestion. I don't think an 8800 is going to outperform a pair of 7800s. According to Tom's Hardware, 2 x 7800GTX (512MB) is slightly faster than an 8800GTS (512MB) that's been overclocked. I know his are only 256MB, but I doubt the performance increase he'll see will be worth the price.

Wait at least one more graphics card generation. Then an upgrade will be worth it.

I had a friend at a lan who had 7800GTs in SLI, and they were shit compared to our 8800s on any shader intensive game (any game in the last couple of years). Tom's hardware chart really has a poor selection of game benchmarks as most of them are fairly CPU dependant and not really pushing shaders at all.

Rook on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know what happened to the all purpose computer question thread? It used to have a regularly updated OP that had the best current parts for certain price ranges for both intel and amd based machines as well as alternate vid cards for ati and nvidia. I can't seem to find it through the search or any stickies and thought it would be a perfect solution for helping out the OP.

KVW on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Computer Build thread is in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern.

hippofant on