As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Zero suits" - looking for crits (mildly NSFW)

plufimplufim DrRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
OK, so I'm massively out of practice art wise, so I'd really appreciate any crits for this sketch I've thrown together. I'm trying to throw together a poster for an anime and games con, hence the subject matter and art style (yes, I know anime style is not hugely popular here). And yes, it's complete and utter cheese, but cheese sells. If I have time, I will do another poster that is a little more cerebral.

zero_suits_sketch3.jpg

I've gotten some other feedback already, but if you guys can find anything else I'd be very appreciative.

Issues so far:
Peach's right hand too small
Umbrella perspective off
Samuses chin a bit wonky, her expression doesn't convey a wink properly
Zelda's fingers a tad chubby

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
steam_sig.png
plufim on

• Options
    XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know its in sketch form, but try to clean up the linework a little bit before you show it around (like, clean up the erased eyes in Samus, theyre easy to see and distract soembody who hasnt seen the piece before)

So far mess with your layout a little bit. The leg anatomy isnt working cause youre not drawing the knees, so those thigs are going for way too long. Crop the image around the legs more and give it some more negative space at the top (easier to look at that way)

Anatomy wise Samus is the best of the bunch, Peach's face is looking a little awkward as is her neck (too thick?) As for Zelda it seems like you dont have a ton of experience drawing profile shots yet, so try looking for some more reference and see if it helps.

Xavi on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would also add the unfortunate (or fortunate- amirite guys!!!111) postion of samus's hand.. it kinda looks like she is grabbing peaches dirty girly bits

edit: maybe not grabbing, but definitely cupping

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How could she possibly fight space pirates with boobs that big?

Seriously though...damn...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would also add the unfortunate (or fortunate- amirite guys!!!111) postion of samus's hand.. it kinda looks like she is grabbing peaches dirty girly bits

...oh.
    hahaha, whoops.

Sorry about not cleaning the lineart more, I had to rush scan this before bed last night, and no editing tools here at work. Noted for next time.

As for the boobs - yeah, I went silly. I've seen worse on ZSS though. Not that it's a valid excuse, but.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    it kinda looks like she is grabbing peaches dirty girly bits

and you have a problem with this because?

Mustang on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For winky anime eyes, they wink up, not down. Youd think the emoticons would be a dead givaway...
    ^_^

vs

v_v

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    to comment on the post about cleaning up the sketch:
    not always a good thing, I personally am pro sketchy because we can obviously see where the person was struggling and can offer up suggestions based on that.

I am biased though because if I'm posting sketches, they are straight up sloppy ass messes.

and gibs, are you really telling the guy to conform to standard anime?
    gibsy. FOR SHAME!
    kidding duder I <3 you forever.

beavotron on
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    is peach the only one not look at the camera? kind of makes her look spaced out

while this is totally a stylistic point in how you translate the art styles of each game. i think peach should be shorter then samus

other then that it's a nice drawing

super... on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try to get slightly more dynamic in the poses. This may mean having to redraw almost everything, so I understand you may not bother (which is fine). You've got some SLIGHT movement and angles in the hips, but really try to emphasize that. Also, look up a bunch of references fo lady hips. They are either very small in your drawing, or they just don't exist. Lady hips, man! Also, maybe play down the bosom a bit. Don't anime/manga's like having girls of different boob-sizes anyway? That's what I remember from my anime-days, hah. May be something to consider. Also, all the palms of the hands seem too small., from the point of the wrist, to the knuckles.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Peach's skull needs more occipital mass. Also, her crown is way off center, partially resting in midair, instead of on her cranium.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It looks to me like Samus just has one of her eyes closed, instead of winking, which is what I'm assuming she is supposed to be doing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Usually when someone winks, the cheek is pushing it shut(McGIBS/Beaver, thats why the "Anime standerd" is ^_^ ). Right now it looks like she had a stroke on her left side. Also, I think(OPINION), depending if your right or left handed, you use the most comffy part of your face, she's right handed, she winks with her right eye. Look up picks of winking girls. You might find a better face pose for samus. Also, put some body movement to her.

with peach, better hand placement would be both hands on the umbrella. Also, the back of her head needs to be more round. Also her placement, have her stand a bit more out from samus's back and have her leaning back. That just seems, to me at least, a more PRINCES PEACH feel.

Zelda, her ear needs to be thinned out. Same with hands as you mentioned.

With all three, they need slender arms as well, they seem a bit too fat. Though, that can be your call.

I might of said a bunch of bull I dunno. So sorry if I offended in some fanciable way.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    sdrfhe1.jpg

yeaaa I contributed my faults!!

See (I totaly suck) samus face, looks a bit more natural. Pleas ignore the fact that their heads are too big.

Anyhoo I know my sketch is far from perfect as well. but note how peach and samus has more movement to their bodies. Note, I gave peach a bit more ASS so Mario has reason to tap that. Also, Note, don't draw zelda the way I did. I totaly screwed her up. Yours was fine placement and all. Just thinner arms, fingers/hand, and ear.

Also look how I did peaches hand placement, looks way more like what princess peach would act like. I wouldn't pay to much attention to how I drew their legs as well. Legs are not my strong suit.

But in all, what I was pointing out was better body movement, facial expression and hand placement is what to look for.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Those Samus boobies look kind of lopsided.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    she's got one old lady titty

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    she's got one old lady titty

Its like a flap jack....I want some IHOP...and a stripper...Do they serve pancakes at a strip club?

But yeah, she's all kinds of fucked up.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    bboyKRILLINbboyKRILLIN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, now keep in mind i've been drinking a little too much tonight, and i'm watching this crazy fucking Australian horror film with my mates as i'm writing this but i'm going to try be as coherent as possible (my spell checker is highlighting every fucking word i write at the moment, lol).

This isn't a perfect sketch, to be honest this is more about learning to breakdown the human form than the composition of the characters themselves, i quickly looked around the internet for bikini models and used them as a guideline to put these three lasses together, i suggest you do the same, it's not cheating to use reference, in fact it's essential for any artist.

Your characters anatomy as it stands right now is pretty skewed and could do with an overhaul, that is not an attack, just an observation, but it shouldn't take you too long to create a new illustration if you follow these steps to constructing accurate human form:

example01.jpg

Now the most important thing once you've got your skull drawn is:
    1. the neck and shoulders (the blue lines), they can convey a lot of the drama in the final pose, also, define where the crotch is going to be as well with a little mark so you have a rough framework.
    2. From the two shoulder points you can draw a curved line representing the rib cage converging into a point where you marked the croth (the red lines), expand the line of the crotch to represent the bottom of the buttocks and using that you now go into...
    3. from the edges of the neck, draw two lines down that come out from where you believe the rib cage to end and allow them to join the buttock line to represent the hips (the green lines).

Boom! a fantastic and believable figure that has mass and weight, that takes very little time to construct!! :D

This is what i've been taught over the years from various life drawing classes (and goddamn i hope they start up again when the uni reopens in a couple of months, i miss that shit), and while i'm far from perfect i can usually get a pretty solid figure out with a few rough drafts before committing to the final version.

bboyKRILLIN on
    BBOY KRILLIN's ART cause i likes to draws an stuff
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ...i'm watching this crazy fucking Australian horror film...

Wolf creek, I assume? That movie is even freakier for us Australian's because the psycho was known up until that point as being a presenter on a lifestyle show. It's like finding out the uncle who always has interesting renovation projects also has a collection of torsos in his basement.

...anyway, these last few pics have been immensely helpful. I think my biggest problem was I started my picture with samus, using a reference for the pose, and then tried to cram peach and zelda into the gaps. As a result, the anatomy of those two was the worse as i was trying to fit them into a small space. Taking these redraws into mind and all the comments thus far, I'll give the sketch another go tonight. Would have done so sooner, but work has interfered, as it often does.

I'll post it here when I'm done, although I may also ink it tonight if it looks right. I can digitally alter the inks if they're off a bit, but I do have to get a move on with this.

Cheers guys and gals :^:

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    OK, had been light on time, but will be able to get back to this soon. In the meantime, I was thinking of doing a second piece, essentially redrawing this old comic of mine but with more detail (same style though) - just to make the symbols clearer, etc. Is there anything about the layout that people think might need to be altered?
    NE041.jpg

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i always wondered, does zelda turn into a dude, or a women that looks like a man...? Interesting.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    OK! So, I decided that the only way to get this right was to draw each character individually. These have gone through several iterations now, but I'm pretty happy with them. Still, anything you guys spot would be helpful, since editing lineart in photoshops isn't hard.

peach_line.jpg
    zelda_line.jpg
    samus_line.jpg

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    PEACH
    peach_line.jpg

The handle is not coming out of the middle of the parasol.

The wrists are thick like a dude's

The profile view is really bland, i would suggest rotatating the character 20-30 degrees to her left. That way we'll have a 3/4 view of her back and ass. She would then be looking back over her shoulder at us, not just to her side.

The torso is too tall, and the ribcage is too thin.

Ditch the stray hairs coming out of her hair mass. Peach shouldn't have split ends.

I don't find the way the hair lays to be convincing at all. perhaps it's due to the chosen profile angle.

Her legs are disportionately thick to her body. I would thicken up the rest of her instead of trimming the legs, but that's your call.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    On peach, use line thickness on the umbrella to separate it from her head. It looks flat there.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    PEACH
    peach_line.jpg

Ditch the stray hairs coming out of her hair mass. Peach shouldn't have split ends.

just to clarify, you arent talking about the spikes, are you? Those are pretty iconic.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, I'm talking about the three sketchy lines that extend from her hair to the left of the earring. When i first saw them, I thought "folds in the umbrella material" and then i was all that would be stupid because the umbrella material is taut, not sagging. And then I realized its probably hair separating from the hairmass, split ends.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, this is what I ended up with. There are plenty of things I still needed to fix, but I just ran out of time. Thanks for all the help though guys, it definately made this a better picture.

posterweb3.jpg

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Isn't Zelda a Blond as well??

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Not so much in twilight princess.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Peach looks freakish. Zelda and Samus are good though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder BreadWonder Bread Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zelda's got a fat face

Wonder Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Peach looks freakish. Zelda and Samus are good though.

Yeah, I know. I probably should have scrapped her altogether and just kept zelda and samus. Still, I think I learned a lot from this. I might try and redraw zero suit peach again sometime, but I think now I need to draw something a tad more cerebral.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png