As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ikariam On] kitten-poem-wielding pirate-based alliance

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Send out a request to everyone in the alliance who has logged in recently with whom you do not already have a treaty.

So pull up a museum in one tab, then the diplomacy/alliance list in another tab, and start sending those dong requests.

Hmm. I should probably go ahead and join the alliance then. :P

Edit: Gotta build that embassy, will try to join in however long it takes to build an embassy +30 minutes.

Edit edit: Entered my app as Digitalwolfe.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not seeing an app here; which server are you on, again?

Edit: Try numbers 2 and 3 both worked; you're in now. :)

Darian on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What a tard -- I just set up this colony last night, and I come online this afternoon to find some Rank5 city guy named Freedom on the same island pillaged my colony lol...

I hope he liked that 100 crystal (which he can mine on that island) and 120 wood he got...

JediNight on
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does it matter what I pillage with against an inactive undefended town? Do certain units gain/load more loot?

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Your units can die due to the wall, so you want to send enough that your attack won't be wiped out, but other than that it doesn't matter.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone have sulfur or marble they can trade? I've got wine on my main island to trade atm. First colony is glass, but not enough people to mine out much of it yet.

JediNight on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have 36k sulfur and 14k marble free to trade if you want anything. However, I'd like to hold some of that sulfur in case these Pssst guys take down a few of my ships.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Con_norCon_nor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am now in the midst of two declared wars at the same time. :)
    Granted, I have not taken any action on the former, and the latter is not effective until tomorrow morning.

Con_nor on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just to let you guys know, I still have no power due to Ike and am remaining in vacation mode till that resolves. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Glad to hear that you are safe/healthy, at least. We'll try to struggle on without you, for now.

Darian on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, good luck with all that. Here in Ohio we got hit with the leftovers and it wasn't fun, so I can't imagine what it's like to be right there for it D:

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Con_norCon_nor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In northwest PA people were taking office chairs and holding up blankets and sailing along the road.

Con_nor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Are your Spy Hideouts currently bugged the fuck out? Cause mine are, and it's kinda shitty.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bugged in what way? Mine seem to be behaving normally, as best I can tell.

Darian on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earlier, sometimes what would happen is parts of the hideout screen would appear, but you not be able to do anything. You'd get only part of the screen and no links of any sort would work. The bug was mentioned on the forums and appears to have been fixed since then.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    CavDawgCavDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We be wishin' ye kitty folk a happy Speak Like A Pirate Day.

May this day be bringin' ye much pirate speak!

CavDawg on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arrr! May your treasure chest overflow with booty!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How high do you all build your shipyards? Steamrams have 13 listed as the optimum level, is there any benefit to going beyond that if you don't have much interest in mortar ships or subs?

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Level 16 is the soft cap as far as I'm concerned. Yea, level 17 isn't that much higher costs, but I'm a cheap ass. I have 4 colonies at level 16.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Me shipyards be all at 10 or 16, dependin' on how much marble th' city be havin'.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The archers have taken their first in a long string of beatings.

Attacker:
    Swordsman...935 (lost: 154)
    Phalanx...165 (lost: 15)
    Gunsman...45 (lost: 9)
    Steam Giant...73 (lost: 30)
    Cook...13 (lost: 1)
    Doctor...22 (lost: 5)
    Defender:
    Phalanx...24 (lost: 15)
    Archer...413 (lost: 287)

The penetration has begun. Also, I've demolished around 90 flamethrowers in this little incident.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Soooo. Back from Italy and read to Un-Vacation myself. What is the order of the day?

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Burtle and I have been killing archers, Con_nor keeps stirring up trouble, Skarsol is waiting for power restoration after hurricane Ike went through, and it's mostly quiet otherwise.

Anything interesting happening in the west?

Darian on
  • Options
    MinrhaelMinrhael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, anyone know precisely how spies breeching walls works? I got pounded by 100 archers in a city I thought was safe due to my walls being opened by 5 spies in the first round plus a few ram holes; I've now built up the hideout and stocked it fully, but I'm assuming his spies are still in the city. Unfortunately it's on the same island so his complete lack of fleet doesn't hurt him any.

If he attacks again, do his spies have to make a success roll against my defending spies to breech the wall or is it automatic? If the latter I'm not going to bother moving in significant defending troops until I have enough to obliterate him.

Minrhael on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Each spy in a city has a % chance to open a breach in the wall before the first round of combat; it is not automatic, but I do not know whether defending spies are considered in the equation.

Swordsmen are good units to build quickly to make an attacker pay for breaking into your city; but why in the world would he be attacking someone who is active on the same island? I only do that if the person has several million gold and/or seems to be going inactive soon.

In other news, EL Chefo has had his military decimated, and he appears to be responding by abandoning Burrito Barn. If anyone spots his new colony in your neck of the woods, please let me know.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DPX is looking for people to give away building materials to.

If your total score is below 70k and any of your islands are not softcapped (21+ saw mill, 16+ luxury), feel free to drop an application http://board.ikariam.com/thread.php?threadid=18257&page=3.

Darian on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    haven't posted in awhile for this game but I'm still playing. But since I have all 5 of my towns at 23 and everything except the Futures researched it's turned more into resource:the waitening.

Regardless I seem to be losing a dong a day or so in my museum. I'm still over my max so I can't send out dong requests; so I'll just throw it out there: If you're new with a museum and you can send dong requests; or if you're old and for some reason I'm not on your list and you can send requests, toss me one.

My main town is Kingshand (53:18) EDIT: Oh, on Beta.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those bastards changed Economic Future. It was supposed to be 2% less building costs, now it's like a +10 version of Utopia at all my cities. Bastards! I just finished it minutes ago!

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    On the other hand that boosted me up to top 100 on "Levels of Research" and into the top 300 of total scores.

captaink on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think the change is better.

2% building costs by the time you can even get economic future is totally irrelevant vs. the resource income you'll have at that point (likely at least 5 towns pumping out resources with zero use for them). i think it would make a bit more sense though if the +pop/happiness was the Science Future (yay...2% research points when you have 3 whole entire things to research left!!!!) and economic future was a 2% increase in resources gained.

The military/sea ones at -2% upkeep is fine though, I'd rather that than a reduction in buying cost.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

2% building costs by the time you can even get economic future is totally irrelevant vs. the resource income you'll have at that point (likely at least 5 towns pumping out resources with zero use for them). i think it would make a bit more sense though if the +pop/happiness was the Science Future (yay...2% research points when you have 3 whole entire things to research left!!!!) and economic future was a 2% increase in resources gained.

The military/sea ones at -2% upkeep is fine though, I'd rather that than a reduction in buying cost.

There are future techs beyond the first level (and those 3 things are doozies, in any case) -- each of the future techs has multiple levels which stack as far as I can tell, based on the description of Economic Future:

>Effect: +10 Satisfaction and +20 max citizen number in every town. Multiplied with the level of this research.

The level 2 seems to take twice as long to research as level 1, for what it's worth.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »

There are future techs beyond the first level (and those 3 things are doozies, in any case) -- each of the future techs has multiple levels which stack as far as I can tell, based on the description of Economic Future:

>Effect: +10 Satisfaction and +20 max citizen number in every town. Multiplied with the level of this research.

The level 2 seems to take twice as long to research as level 1, for what it's worth.

None of them are worth the time spent, in any case. I'm stopping research. 2% less upkeep is not worth it compared to 5,500 extra gold per hour from turning scientists into citizens.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I stopped as soon as I got Euphoria. I don't have diving boats or bombardiers. I needed my gold to fund my useful troops instead of those shitty ones.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Whee new patch. No more instant training of spies for high level hideouts! So glad I wasted all that marble leveling them up...

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So, they rolled out a new update? Or something.

It gives me the option to "Defend Town" and "Defend Port" now which could be cool if someone ever gets mad at us again.

[strike]Edit: Also, I can't see what is on my pillage ships as they are returning, so thats pretty sucky.[/strike]

New view that shows the boats is awesome.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm more worried about the "multiple pillagers hitting the same city at the same time" mechanics, if they were implemented. Has anyone run into that yet? The attackers become defenders if the town is hit by someone else while you are pillaging it, according to reports on .org

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm. We could try it out on our sulfur island if you want to see.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm game; you've got twenty minutes from now to launch an attack on Gore...

Darian on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So about how much time a day does this take to play?

Pb on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pb, initially you can probably lose yourself in learning/poking around for an hour or two. After that, it's all how much time you want to spend with it. You can get away with like 20mins a day.

Also, was there an update? All my scripts done broke.

TyrantCow on