As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why can't all Wii games look that good god damnit.

Graviija on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Graviija wrote: »

that's a really good question...

Guek on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Developers are LAZY.

Edit: The Wii has AT LEAST the power of the original Xbox, and actually a bit more so. If we got stuff as awesome looking as Riddick and Conker on the Xbox, there's no reason we can get stuff just as good if not a bit better looking on the Wii. But nobody wants to spend the time to get such amazing graphics outside of a few devs.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »
    y'all better be buying this game come December...

deadly-creatures
    IGN preview

Anyone who doesn't buy this is a bad person.

i just can't stand that many creepy-crawlies in at once. i must pass.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Developers are LAZY.

Edit: The Wii has AT LEAST the power of the original Xbox, and actually a bit more so. If we got stuff as awesome looking as Riddick and Conker on the Xbox, there's no reason we can get stuff just as good if not a bit better looking on the Wii. But nobody wants to spend the time to get such amazing graphics outside of a few devs.

do you have citations for these bold claims? i have heard it has somewhere around ps2-ish power, but i don't really understand how computers/consoles work.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's tech specs are pretty much a tiny bit better than an xbox.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Developers are LAZY.

do you have citations for these bold claims? i have heard it has somewhere around ps2-ish power, but i don't really understand how computers/consoles work.

Are you serious? It's beefed up GCN hardware, which by itself was already much better than the PS2, and some developers even claimed that if developed for properly was better than the Xbox.

Logic only dictates that it'd be better than the Xbox, at least.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have seen actual tech documents, and I can say it is more powerful than Xbox. Not by much, but still. The reason why you don't see things like normal mapping so often is simply because Wii uses quite different standard for creating shader like effects, and majority of coders have never been forced to deal with it. It is pretty much different world. till, when on proper hands, you can get lot of shit out from Gamecube / Wii's GPU. For example, Gamecube's launch game, Rogue Squadron II, featured 2 x FSAA, bump mapping, normal mapping, self-shadowing and dynamic lightning, so these things are certainly possible. Only 3rd party Wii game that I know using normal mapping is Dewy's Adventure.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    klonoa trailer

does anyone recall a western release being mentioned for this game?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    does anyone recall a western release being mentioned for this game?

Yup. Namco is asking about in online survey in which at least GoNintendo has taken part:

klo1.JPG

klo2.JPG

Which Klonoa you would prefer? :P

Source

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This article just went up on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=276095

Most interesting thing being 2 player SPLIT SCREEN!!!!!!

I've been following MH: Tri pretty closely and this is the first mention i've seen of this, also interesting about not having to use Mote+Chuck is good for those who don't like it (Me? I love me some sword swinging waggle!)

Buttons

Buttons on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just to add it here too, if you were waiting for disaster: day of crisis, or fatal frame you dont need to wait any longer, because reggie said he doesnt really feel very good about those games so a release in the US is very unlikely.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit sin and punishment 2? Why didn't anyone tell me about this shit?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    elkatas wrote: »

I have seen actual tech documents, and I can say it is more powerful than Xbox. Not by much, but still. The reason why you don't see things like normal mapping so often is simply because Wii uses quite different standard for creating shader like effects, and majority of coders have never been forced to deal with it. It is pretty much different world. till, when on proper hands, you can get lot of shit out from Gamecube / Wii's GPU. For example, Gamecube's launch game, Rogue Squadron II, featured 2 x FSAA, bump mapping, normal mapping, self-shadowing and dynamic lightning, so these things are certainly possible. Only 3rd party Wii game that I know using normal mapping is Dewy's Adventure.

Rogue Squadron II was so hot on the GC. It's too bad more developers aren't putting the effort into programming for the Wii. Kinda sad that a 7 year old launch GC title looks better than plenty of the stuff on Wii.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    carmofin wrote: »
    just to add it here too, if you were waiting for disaster: day of crisis, or fatal frame you dont need to wait any longer, because reggie said he doesnt really feel very good about those games so a release in the US is very unlikely.

Let's make few things clear before false information spreads. Reggie hasn't said anything about Fatal Frame. Nintendo's rep said that they aren't currently publishing it, Tecmo USA said that they aren't currently ready to discuss about the game. Which isn't exactly surprising, because Tecmo is currently going big merger with Koei, which will probably also affect recent publishing contracts. Except game to be stuck in legal limbo for months.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Let's make few things clear before false information spreads. Reggie hasn't said anything about Fatal Frame. Nintendo's rep said that they aren't currently publishing it, Tecmo USA said that they aren't currently ready to discuss about the game. Which isn't exactly surprising, because Tecmo is currently going big merger with Koei, which will probably also affect recent publishing contracts. Except game to be stuck in legal limbo for months.

As long as we get it eventually

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Rogue Squadron II was so hot on the GC. It's too bad more developers aren't putting the effort into programming for the Wii. Kinda sad that a 7 year old launch GC title looks better than plenty of the stuff on Wii.

Yeah, but then again, both Rogue Squadron games were practically from different world. If you could render them in HD, they would put many next-gen titles to shame.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Buttons wrote: »
    This article just went up on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=276095

I've been following MH: Tri pretty closely and this is the first mention i've seen of this, also interesting about not having to use Mote+Chuck is good for those who don't like it (Me? I love me some sword swinging waggle!)

Buttons

What game are we talking about here? Link is blocked :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Buttons wrote: »

Buttons

What game are we talking about here? Link is blocked :(

Monster Hunter Wii.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Guek on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Yeah, but then again, both Rogue Squadron games were practically from different world. If you could render them in HD, they would put many next-gen titles to shame.

Seriously.

Those games pushed more polygons and at a higher framerate than any other console game for something crazy like 3 years. And the amazing thing about Rogue Leader is that the game was developed in nine months.

I really don't know how Factor 5 does it, but they are damn good at it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    you guys should check out the title screen for deadly creatures. Seriously not for the squeamish.

Guek on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kotaku is reporting a buy 2 wii games get 1 free deal at target.

Source:http://kotaku.com/5072762/buy-two-wii-games-at-target-get-one-free

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Diagnosis: SLAUGHTER!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lightgun games are fun, but I never feel compelled to actually have them.

I must have Overkill.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you guys should check out the title screen for deadly creatures. Seriously not for the squeamish.

OH GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Anyone know how long the buy-2-get-1 deal at target is going to last?

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

One of the recommended trailers that came up was for Bikini Zombie Slayers.

Odds of US Release... 100000:1 against.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So this is pretty cool I thought: The Unfinished Swan.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    not wii though

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is sure to result in either my wife having a heart attack or me getting kneed in the balls. Possibly both.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If...someone was that afraid of spiders, why would they have the game in the first place? I assume you don't see the title screen unless you actually, like, have the game.

Graviija on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    not wii though

Quoted from right below the video:
    This tech demo for the upcoming Wii game The Unfinished Swan

Also, it looks equal parts uneasy and goofy.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »
    not wii though

holy shit, that has so much potential

METAzraeL on

• Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    not wii though

Yeah, that's pretty much the message that burned through my head when I saw the
    "Don't be afraid"

That concept, with the right creative director, could be the stuff of nightmares. Nice ambient sound.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

One of the recommended trailers that came up was for Bikini Zombie Slayers.

Odds of US Release... 100000:1 against.

I'll take that bet.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    nlawalker wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Yeah, that's pretty much the message that burned through my head when I saw the
    "Don't be afraid"

That concept, with the right creative director, could be the stuff of nightmares. Nice ambient sound.

seriously. I can imagine exploring for a bit, then hearing something off to the left. You shoot some balls over, and finally you get a splash on a (monster/ghost/puppy/etc) and you just book it, running into walls and getting stuck in dead-ends.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

klo2.JPG

Which Klonoa you would prefer? :P
    Noooooooooo! D:

It's weird hearing real voiced in the game. I hope the Important Parts aren't ruined by shit English voice acting.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    not wii though

yeah but look at the first comment.
    this game is for xbox360 and that kind of misinformation is what you get when you count on blogs ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone played or seen good footage of the 007 QoS game for Wii? Wii is the only version that has local multiplay (from what I've read anyway) and I was thinking of picking it up.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I interviewed the creator of The Unfinished Swan, its being made on XNA and he is currently looking at the Xbox community games, but is undecided.

Interview will be up in a bit.

LewieP on