As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Direct X 11 - Dx10 hardware compatable (Screenshots in OP)56kilorape.

Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed UnicornIf ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
News from GameFest, DirectX 11 was unveiled.

The company calls DirectX 11 a "big step forward for gaming, adding features onto existing DirectX 10".

Key components of DirectX 11, will include:

o Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows
o Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware, as well as support for new DirectX 11 hardware
o New compute shader technology that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor
o Multi-threaded resource handling that will allow games to better take advantage of multi-core machines
o Support for tessellation, which blurs the line between super high quality pre-rendered scenes and scenes rendered in real-time, allowing game developers to refine models to be smoother and more attractive when seen up close.

Well that's good, DX10 compatible and some good features, lets just home it's not the tremendous clusterfuck like DX10 was.

Some more Dx 11 info and tech screens

directx11clownuz4.jpg

Looks a bit waxy but hey, still nice.

directx11seaoj4.jpg

Best water ever? Needs to be in a game environment before the medal goes out.

directx11staircasetx2.jpg

Not sure what is being demonstrated, possibly global illumination ( light bouncing off objects)

Waka Laka on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One the one hand, fucking so much yes. Love my 8800GT and don't have the money to replace it right now.

On the other, my 8800GT has a non-variable-speed fan and I totally would replace it at the drop of a hat to be able to run my computer while asleep.

Still, awesome. Yay software-only upgrades.

Khavall on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah uh, all DirectX's are backwards compatible. People didn't worry that 9 wouldn't work on 10 cards, so it's not a surprise at all that 10 will work on 11 cards. Unless the article is saying that 11 will work on 10 hardware, but that's like saying PS3 games will work in a PS2.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Raere wrote: »
    Yeah uh, all DirectX's are backwards compatible. People didn't worry that 9 wouldn't work on 10 cards, so it's not a surprise at all that 10 will work on 11 cards. Unless the article is saying that 11 will work on 10 hardware, but that's like saying PS3 games will work in a PS2.

Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware

seems to suggest that in fact it is a software only update, where DX11 will in fact work on DX10 cards.

Khavall on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am excited for the GPGPU thing. Unfortunately, Toady One probably won't put it in dwarf fortress, because he needs it to be cross-platform. Drat.

Anyone care to explain the tessellation thing? I assume it means: mathematical model of surface -> polygons, but I'm sure I'm missing something about it. Hardware support for it or something?

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    apparently DX11 will have physics acceleration

I am intrigued

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I assume that's what they are saying. DirectX 10 hardware will be able to use these new features, DirectX 11 hardware will be optimized for them.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I seem to suffer from a busted video card right now, so this is interesting. Was thinking about getting a DX10 card now.

Echo on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have of yet had no reason to upgrade to Vista to get DX10; perhaps DX11 will give me a reason.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I care mostly about the multi-threading, as I have a quad core. It'll be nice to get more use out of the other two.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have of yet had no reason to upgrade to Vista to get DX10; perhaps DX11 will give me a reason.

Vista gets a much worse rep than it deserves. I was so resistant to get Vista until I actually got it, and I have no complaints in any way at all.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Vista gets a much worse rep than it deserves. I was so resistant to get Vista until I actually got it, and I have no complaints in any way at all.

Using on-board sound, then, I'd gather?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

DirectX 10 HARDWARE will be compatible with DirectX11, not DirectX 11 will be compatible with previous versions.

To anyone who recently bought an Nvidia 280 series, you can already take advantages of GPU accelerated games ( GRAW 1 and 2 PC, Operation Downtown Destruction, Unreal 3 ( PhysX pack ) etc etc) with the latest Firmware release. There are options to allow PhysX emulation through CUDA. This will become available also to people with 8800GTs and above soon.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I care mostly about the multi-threading, as I have a quad core. It'll be nice to get more use out of the other two.

I'm fairly certain that the multiple core thing mentioned in the article refers to only the DirectX API being optimized for multiple cores (though I wasn't aware that was a problem with the API - so maybe I'm wrong on this). I'm not sure how they'd be able to magically insert multithreading into any app that uses DirectX 11.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm using an Asus Xonar PCI-E card, Vista runs fine with it.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, just get Vista already. It has SP1, and really is super sweet when you have a dual core system and 2 gigs or more of ram. Shut up about it being a system whore because we have left our AMD4000+ single core processors behind 2 years ago.

There I said it.

As for DX11. I can only imagine the kind of crap this is going to get from the fanboys. Hopefully they follow through on the backwards compatability though.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wabbiteh wrote: »
    I am excited for the GPGPU thing. Unfortunately, Toady One probably won't put it in dwarf fortress, because he needs it to be cross-platform. Drat.

Anyone care to explain the tessellation thing? I assume it means: mathematical model of surface -> polygons, but I'm sure I'm missing something about it. Hardware support for it or something?

If I recall correctly from my graphics course (a few years ago, so I may be completely wrong), you are essentially correct. Tessellation is the process of breaking down a surface (or existing polygon) into triangles. In the case of (non-planar) surface -> triangles, this is a necessary process because frame-buffer renderers work by (after some matrix transformations) drawing 2d triangles to a rectangular mapping of pixels.

Tessellation is also used to subdivide existing triangles into more triangles. In the old days of per-vertex lighting, this was necessary to get good-looking lighting. In today's world, this would be useful for doing displacement mapping. Which is basically like using a normal map to transform actual geometry, instead of just using it for 3D-looking lighting applied to a flat triangle. However, in order to get displacement mapping to look good, you need a lot of polygons, otherwise the displacement of the vertices won't be smooth (which looks terrible).

I am sure there are other uses for hardware-accelerated tessellation, but that is the one that immediately comes to mind.

Halibut on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

M-audio USB Preamp actually. Drivers are still in Beta, and getting protools to work was a fucking bitch, but I haven't had any problem with them that anyone other than someone who works with sound professionally would run into.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, just get Vista already. It has SP1, and really is super sweet when you have a dual core system and 2 gigs or more of ram. Shut up about it being a system whore because we have left our AMD4000+ single core processors behind 2 years ago.

There I said it.

While it's criminal for a modern desktop operating system not to allow the user to exploit that hardware to it's full potential, there's no reason for it to require that much hardware for smooth operation or perform poorly on technology two years old. It's sloppy. I'll eventually use it anyway.

Back on topic, I'm for any free upgrade which magically makes my video card capable of higher levels of l33t. So, I read the "better multi-core support" as, "Developers! Recompile your existing games with the Direct X 11 API and get free multi-core support!" Or is it more "Developers, we have made it slightly easier to use multi-threading, if you happen to be currently making a game."?

Frem on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Any kind of timetable for the release of DX11 yet?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shut up about Vista or go to GameFAQS or YouTube to have your enlightened conversations.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like Vista and I like DirectX, and I like this news.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Talking about vista, which version would be the best to get for games?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Back on topic, I'm for any free upgrade which magically makes my video card capable of higher levels of l33t. So, I read the "better multi-core support" as, "Developers! Recompile your existing games with the Direct X 11 API and get free multi-core support!" Or is it more "Developers, we have made it slightly easier to use multi-threading, if you happen to be currently making a game."?

It's more "Developers! Multi-threading won't be any easier, but if your game is multi-threaded there's a chance it'll run slightly better with DirectX 11 than DirectX 10!"

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's more "Developers! Multi-threading won't be any easier, but if your game is multi-threaded there's a chance it'll run slightly better with DirectX 11 than DirectX 10!"
    I thought that developers were finally starting to come to grips with multi-threading?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

I thought that developers were finally starting to come to grips with multi-threading?
    They are, but that has nothing to do with DirectX.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Home Premium is good enough, I'd say. You get stuff like Media Centre and Movie Maker, which aren't in Business.

Personally, I have Ultimate, since I wanted the advanced backup stuff that comes in Business (Complete PC Backup/Restore and Previous Versions), but also wanted the Home Premium-exclusive things (Business doesn't have Media Centre or Movie Maker.)

Anyway, this news is pretty nice, although I'd have to ask when the expected timeframe for games that'll actually use DX11 is. As far as I've heard/read, there aren't a lot of games out there which have DX10 support, since there's still a lot of people refusing to make the jump to Vista. Having just got a DX10 card, though, it's good to know it'll still be useful for a while :D

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One the one hand, fucking so much yes. Love my 8800GT and don't have the money to replace it right now.

On the other, my 8800GT has a non-variable-speed fan and I totally would replace it at the drop of a hat to be able to run my computer while asleep.

If you don't mind voiding your warranty, google "accelero s1 8800gt" and become free from the jet engine stock cooler.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, I don't mind Vista, I just have no reason to pay upwards of $100 to upgrade to an OS that only has one feature I would ever really consider needing: DirectX 10. Why? Because DX10 basically does nothing for me right now. It's either almost useless or a gigantic performance hit in 90% of the games that use it, and in the 10% that use it well, I just don't really see the need.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's more "Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Multi-threading won't be any easier, but if your game is multi-threaded there's a chance it'll run slightly better with DirectX 11 than DirectX 10!"

Fixed.

Yeah I read that as the same thing. :x

Shens on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Madpanda wrote: »

If you don't mind voiding your warranty, google "accelero s1 8800gt" and become free from the jet engine stock cooler.

Void Warranty? How do they know you have installed a custom heatsink when you can just take it off and put on the old one again? I don't remember ripping any stickers or VOID IF REMOVED labels on my EVGA 8800GT.

Shens on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

Void Warranty? How do they know you have installed a custom heatsink when you can just take it off and put on the old one again? I don't remember ripping any stickers or VOID IF REMOVED labels on my EVGA 8800GT.

Hold on a second. It's a passive cooling system but it's better than the fan currently provided? How does that work?

I would've expected having a dedicated fan blowing all the hot air out the back would be better wouldn't it?

subedii on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

I'd say Home Premium 64 bit. I am not sure the extra price for ultimate is necessary for a few more toys that you probably will not use. But most definitely 64 bit since you can have 4 gigs for well under a hundred dollars and 8gigs for $160-ish...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Hold on a second. It's a passive cooling system but it's better than the fan currently provided? How does that work?

I would've expected having a dedicated fan blowing all the hot air out the back would be better wouldn't it?

The fan that comes with the stock heatsink works fine. The problem is that the stock heatsink is garbage. With the passive cooling, you need to make sure you have decent airflow in your case. Everyone I know that is using the Accelero has no problem at all and in fact has cooled their card down ~20 degrees or more. It is fairly easy to install. If you have poor airflow or want a few degrees more out of it, they offer a 'turbo module' that is just two connected fans that you can attach to the S1.

Here is the review that sold me on the cooler: Click

Shens on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The heatsink has 4 heatpipes and a huge surface area. In comparison I have a 9600GT with a Accelero S2 (only 2 heatpipes) and in a case with only two fans (CPU: Zalman 7X00 and powersupply: Fortran Source something) it idles at about 50c which is comparable to a low cost GPU cooler with a noisy fan.
    With a 8cm fan at about 1000rpm (low enough that I can't hear it) it dropped to 34c idle.

Edit: Beat'd
    Also if you like me have no interest in swapping GPU coolers ECS elitegroup sells 8800GT and 9600GT with Accelero coolers.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    "Developers!" "Developers"

"Developers!"
    developers

I'll save my excitement and such for when I see it in action.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In regards to voiding the warranty, if you are carefull taking the stock heatsink off you should be ok if you need to RMA the card for some reason. The warranty voiding *may* come with the extra heatsinks that need to be applied to the video ram and a few other chips.

Some people, myself included, have been fine with using the stock glue they come with (I used some zalman copper video ram heatsinks I had laying around). However others, including a friend of mine, had issues with these staying on and had to epoxy the heatsinks on. Once you pass that point your warranty is pretty much doomed.

Also if you have a spare 120mm fan laying around, preferably something on the silent end, you can zip tie it to the S1 instead of buying the turbo module. Doing this dropped my idle/load temps by about 8c, from the S1 with no fan.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Clear Sky might make me install Vista, but probably only on a second partition. I have about 100 old games to play in my backlog, and trying to get them to work on Vista would be suicidal. Everything is perfect on XP so far.

But yeah, we don't really need to rehash this, I just wanted to mention that Clear Sky may give me a reason, if I can't access the new graphics goodies in XP (with a hack or otherwise).

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Clear Sky might make me install Vista, but probably only on a second partition. I have about 100 old games to play in my backlog, and trying to get them to work on Vista would be suicidal.

I don't see why it should be. I can't say I've run into problems running any old games on Vista, and for DOS games there's DOSBox.

Most I've had to do for the odd title is enable compatibility mode.

What games do you need to run?

subedii on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't see why it should be. I can't say I've run into problems running any old games on Vista, and for DOS games there's DOSBox.

Most I've had to do for the odd title is enable compatibility mode.
    Oh really? I just hear a lot of buzz about disappointed people that say "this doesn't work on Vista." Maybe it's not that bad, but again, there's the laziness and uncertainty factors. :)
    What games do you need to run?
    All of them.

Actually, my backlog isn't exactly epic, but there's a hell of a lot of stuff on there. If you have signatures enabled, just click on the giant rectangle.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't even know that I can handle DX10. :/ I doubt this will sell very well at all until the average person uses DX10, hell, even DX9.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png