As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend ON] Games with exploration

Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Short version: Recommend me games like Metroid Prime.

Long, rambling, poorly phrased version: One of my favourite things to do in a game is explore. You know, wandering around, seeing something and deciding "I'm gonna go there right now!", that sort of thing. Or being dropped in a world and given no real briefing, but having to find your way around.

The former I find in games like STALKER or Oblivion. Morrowind especially, though I'm loathe to start it up again because I always end up playing the same swords-and-light-armour character. Any fun character builds would be appreciated. Also in the Zelda games to a lesser extent.

The latter is exemplified by the Metroid series, which I very much like. The Metroid Prime series especially, since they're usually a bit more sedate. I just finished MP3, I have a copy of MP1 being delivered soon (I had it before but traded it in) and I never got far in MP2 because BOOST GUARDIAN!!! But I love getting a new powerup and thinking "oh, I can go to that area I saw a while ago!" or entering a new area and seeing new sights.

So I'm interested in games in which exploration is a major factor. I have a PC, Wii, PS2, N64 and DS, all PAL systems (except the DS and PC of course). What can you guys recommend?

l4d_sig.png
Dr Snofeld on

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus! This is probably my favorite game for exploration, the environments and atmosphere are really second to none.

Darlan on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are of course the Metroidvanias: Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No, he does have a DS.
    DS games are region free so it's not technically a PAL system, is what I think he meant.

As for exploration games, the whole Myst series is basically exploration of fantastical but uninhabited islands with some puzzle-solving.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fallout series has some good exploration in the towns and such, some are quite large.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    There are of course the Metroidvanias: Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin. "Course you are apparently lacking an NDS..

i wouldn't bother with circle of the moon, the rest are great though, plus there's the new one out soon.

i hear cave story is similar too or something, never bothered with it though that on pc and there's aquaria too

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ratchet & Clank games are great for this.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arx Fatalis. If you're doing PC, Steam's got it for $10.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ClumsyHopeClumsyHope Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Second the epic Shadow of Colossus. Beautiful game for exploration, even on 'last generation' PS2.

ClumsyHope on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Everblue 2

seriously

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How about Steambot Chronicles for the PS2? Endless Ocean is also a great exploration game for the Wii.

The future is looking good for these kind of games. Let's jump in my time machine so we can go play Spore and Fallout 3 and Borderlands and perhaps even Sacred 2.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The real redeeming part of Freelancer was how gigantic it was. I spent hours finding as many systems as I could.
    I had a mini joygasm when I came across the Hispania.

Seriously, for a game that that dumbed down everything that made Privateer great, there were a fuckton of systems and very pretty places to go.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cave Story has a very Metroid / Zelda feel to it, although admittedly the progression might be a little more linear than those games. It still gives me the impression of exploring a strange alternative world. It's also one of the best indie developed titles ever made.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Seiklus It's pretty much all about exploration. It's impossible to die in the game (that I found anyway, and I even tried on a few occasions just to see). I actually found it very relaxing and laid back to play. All you're doing is going around this weird little world collecting different coloured baubles so you can get back home. Again, indie / freeware.

subedii on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The real redeeming part of Freelancer was how gigantic it was. I spent hours finding as many systems as I could.
    I had a mini joygasm when I came across the Hispania.

Seriously, for a game that that dumbed down everything that made Privateer great, there were a fuckton of systems and very pretty places to go.

It's a real shame too. I was waiting for so long for an expansion pack that would expand on the core gameplay mechanics. The rest of the game was there, and I thought the singeplayer was pretty fun and well done as well. It just needed more mission types and more stuff to do.

Although I have to admit, going online with it gave the game a much more open and free-form feel. It was almost like a mini MMO, with around 100 players per server, just carrying out their careers or joining up with others to do stuff.

It was always fun finding an abandoned wreck somewhere in a disused shipping lane that you followed.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't think Ratchet and Clank is that exploration-y. There's some exploring in the sense of exploring for hidden powerups, but that can be said for practically any 3d platformer. For the most part I think R&C is in the "course" school of level design, where you start at point A, then follow a path to point B. There's nothing wrong with this style of game, I just don't think of it as very exploration-y.

This also goes for Cave Story, although the style of the game is very reminiscent of Metroid. The emphasis is heavier on the platforming and combat, less on figuring out where to go or what you need to do.

All of that is just my opinion, of course.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, although many of the games suggested I've already played, like Cave Story and Freelancer (which was awesome). Fallout 1 I enjoyed, Fallout 2 less so, looking forward to Fallout 3.

I saw Steambot Chronicles in Gamestation a few weeks ago, decided to look it up when I got home to see if it was any good, and promptly forgot all about it. It did look more like Dark Chronicle to me though. Which isn't a bad thing, since I love that game with a passion.

Arx Fatalis I played a demo of ages ago, quite enjoyed it, since I was able to look past the aged visuals and interface. (I think my bar for graphics quality is naturally set lower than a lot of people. When I got my new PC and ran Bioshock with all the graphics options up my head a splode.) Though the demo ends after the tutorial area, so I don't know how open or linear the main game is.

Shadow of the Colossus is another game I've been interested in. The demo really impressed me ages ago. Would it be worth getting Ico too?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've never played Ico but I've never heard anything but the strongest praise for it. Might be hard to find though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus is worth whatever price you have to pay to get it.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Morrowind. I sunk hundreds of hours into the game and I still hadn't covered the whole map when I was finished.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ico and SotC are both good choices. I'd add on Beyond Good & Evil, Fallout 1 & 2, and one of my favorite games of all time, Bad Mojo.
    gwhkongebvwz9.jpg

See that roach? That's you. Your job, (for lack of anything better to do since you got turned into a roach) is to scour a seedy bar/motel for clues as to how to return to your normal form. The whole place is like a creepy Kafka-esque reflection of the characters that pop up in the game.

Such a great game. And even though it came out in like 1996, the Bad Mojo Redux version came out in 2004, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Skexis on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How can you mention Seiklus and leave out Knytt Story?
    It's an indy game for PC as well, has metroid style upgrades with lots of wall climbing, huge worlds and beautiful music. There's tons of levels for the game at the official website, but the main ones are pretty much the best.
    It's like a big piece of art in world form.

Wingo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    But I love getting a new powerup and thinking "oh, I can go to that area I saw a while ago!" or entering a new area and seeing new sights.

This is why I recommended R&C.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No one has mentioned Etrian Odyssey yet. Shame on you all.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    But I love getting a new powerup and thinking "oh, I can go to that area I saw a while ago!" or entering a new area and seeing new sights.

And that is why I've played them :P.

Cept Gladiator and the PS3 one.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »

And that is why I've played them :P.

Cept Gladiator and the PS3 one.

Assuming you mean Deadlocked (the last PS2 one) it is much less platform-y and exploration-y and much more shooter-y. The PS3 one goes back to its roots though.

Freelancer with the Discovery mod maybe? There's a thread around here somewhere.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arcanum, Mass Effect, Crysis, Grand Theft Auto, Oblivion, Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and maybe Pyschonauts would appeal to you.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I feel really guilty cos almost everything that's been suggested, I already have. Course, you mentioned Deus Ex, so I gotta reinstall it. And so the cycle continues...

I've never heard of Everblue 2 or Etrian Odyssey. What're they like?

And yeah, Ratchet: Gladiator is the PAL name for Deadlocked. They all have different names here. For example, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is just Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction.

Mass Effect's on my to-buy list too.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We've got a thread on Etrian Odyssey here. It's like a classic dungeon crawler on the DS. You explore the dungeon and draw your own map for it on the bottom screen. It's a fantastic game and the map making aspect of it really makes me feel like I'm exploring.

You could always go off the beaten path and get something like skate. You can explore the city on your skateboard. I really dig exploration in games myself and as long as you're not looking up where the best places to skate are then you're really finding your own way and seeing your own lines in the architecture.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No mention of Crackdown and the Grand Theft Auto's?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hahaha, just my luck.

I post a topic about how I like games where you find items and use them to explore more.

And then I get stuck in Metroid Fusion.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hahaha, just my luck.

I post a topic about how I like games where you find items and use them to explore more.

Bomb the floor. :D

It's threads like these that make me wish Assassin's Creed had a 'no-story, just everything unlocked!' mode. I would love to go clambering about on shit at the end of the game with no repurcussions.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus is another game I've been interested in. The demo really impressed me ages ago. Would it be worth getting Ico too?
    Ico really isn't an exploring game in the vein of your request, but, for whatever it's worth, Ico is my favorite game of all time.

I'd go on as to why, but I may as well link the Eurogamer review which says most of the reasons.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=2734

You really can't go wrong with Shadow of the Colossus either, though. Both games blow their peers right out of the water. In their sleep.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hahaha, just my luck.

From Super Metroid onwards, I love all the 2d Metroids so much. Although I do have a gripe about the whole objective giving thing in Fusion. Still, love those damn games. The original Metroid I would probably like if it wasn't quite so balls hard, and I hadn't been spoiled by newer games where you can have more than 3 shots on the screen at once, and etc.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Saucy!Saucy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Morrowind, you shitheads. Fucking Morrowind. I must have played for 10 hours before I even knew how to start the main quest.

Make sure you mod it, though; the ones you really need are Better Bodies, which makes everyone look like an actual real person instead of a horrible sausage monster, Changing Faces Replacer, a huge mod that replaces every head in the game with new ones that look fantastic and actually use less polygons than the original Morrowind models, and Cliffracer Extinction. Ask any fan of the game why the last one is necessary, they'll tell you. Fuck Cliffracers.

Saucy! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why is the last one necessary Saucy
    I admit I have never played Morrowind

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pikmin 2!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Saucy! wrote: »
    Morrowind, you shitheads. Fucking Morrowind. I must have played for 10 hours before I even knew how to start the main quest.

Make sure you mod it, though; the ones you really need are Better Bodies, which makes everyone look like an actual real person instead of a horrible sausage monster, Changing Faces Replacer, a huge mod that replaces every head in the game with new ones that look fantastic and actually use less polygons than the original Morrowind models, and Cliffracer Extinction. Ask any fan of the game why the last one is necessary, they'll tell you. Fuck Cliffracers.
    Morrowind was in their original post.

Dragon Quest VIII has a pretty expansive world to explore, and when its entirety opens up you get a real genuine sense of striking out on a journey.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why is the last one necessary Saucy
    I admit I have never played Morrowind

During any normal playthrough you'll fight about 17 gajillion cliffracers. They suck. Cliffracer Extinction makes them stop spawning after you've killed 100 of them as I recall.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Saucy!Saucy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cliffracers are these Pterodactyl like creatures native to the island of Vvardenfell. Before you hit level 5, there are a set number of them on the island, like every other monster.

But once you go past that point, they begin to spawn in two ways.

1. Randomly.

2. Every time you level up, in groups of 10 to 20.

Another thing is they can somehow detect you from 6 miles away, so unless you stay completely on Vvardenfell's coastline for the entire game, you will be fucking HOUNDED by them whenever you dare to step outside a city, cave, or generic dwelling. Since you spend a good deal of Morrowind tromping about outside, and away from the coast, this is a big fucking problem.

The solutions to this are either getting rid of them through mods, which nobody begrudges you for, or simply never leveling up past 5. You can only get your skills so high this way, though, since your attributes only level when you do and you can't train a skill past it's governing attribute.

I feel bad for the people who had to play this on the Xbox; doubly so because of the terrible character models. You can glitch yourself to be godpowerful at the very beginning of the game, there, though, so mabye it's not too awful.

Also, I didn't see Morrowind in the original post. But play it again. Or get Daggerfall, it's arguably better if you can get it running on a newer computer. As for interesting characters, try playing a pure mage and then turning yourself into a Vampire. Mage part optional, because good fucking luck using nothing but magic the whole game.

You have to have an extremely high personality to be able to do anything with Vampirism, and if you've cured yourself of Corpus you'd probably have to give it to yourself with the console, so watch out for that.

There are also a lot of mods out there for your general interests of chaos and destruction, including one that lets you burn structures down. Oh, the Telvanni towers I set fire to.

Saucy! on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SotC has a very real sense of exploration. You only do it to see more of the area - there are no treasure chests, hidden bosses, or any of that. The only thing you gain is greater sense of isolation, which works so unbelievably well in the game.

God, I'm gonna go play it again right now.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    SotC has a very real sense of exploration. You only do it to see more of the area - there are no treasure chests, hidden bosses, or any of that. The only thing you gain is greater sense of isolation, which works so unbelievably well in the game.

God, I'm gonna go play it again right now.
    (Actually there are a few hidden things to find, but they don't really do that much. die lizards! die!)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif