As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm enjoying the game well enough so far, but I have a whole TON of nitpicks.

1) Not enough classes. Only 6? Really? City of Heroes shipped with like 16. Champions had at least 10. WoW had 8 at launch. Basically, what I'm saying is, this game has the fewest amount of character classes available that I've ever seen.

2) Some combat styles really suck at breaking objects. My first character was a dual pistols guy. Apparently shooting pistols at breakables is fairly ineffective. I actually had better luck punching them than shooting them.

3) As a follow-up to number 2, I also felt that the damage output on my dual pistols was completely broken. My pistol character did more damage with his fists than his guns. Kinda sad really.

4) Combat is way too spammy. Maybe its cause I'm playing on PC with a keyboard and mouse, but I haven't played a game that's such a click-fest since Diablo 2. Its a bit ridiculous actually. Also the hit detection is terrible.

5) I haven't delved too much into PvP yet, but the Legends battles are fucking retarded as hell. Every map, its like 90% Harley Quinn spamming her juggle move. Does nobody use any other characters? Is she the only character that's any good? I feel completely disadvantaged on Robin. I don't have the patience to even make it 10 games to get enough marks to unlock Harley. I was ready to retire for good from Legend PVP after 2 battles.

Lucascraft on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well... Harley is the free 'chip' people playing on the Villain side get.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited January 2011
    Ahh yeah, if she's the free one for Villains then I am never stepping foot in Legends PVP again until she catches the mega-nerf. She way outclasses Robin.

Lucascraft on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oblivi0n wrote: »
    Kinda disappointing as I bought a PS3 headset specifically for this (and yes the headset works). (Completely unrelated to DCUO, I was surprised to find out that PS3 has no party system a la Xbox Live.)

Other than this, I've been really digging DCUO.

It did...then it didn't. Ongoing issue.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited January 2011
    Honestly it sounds more like an issue of skill with the character, rather than her being OP. One has to be able to fight well, know when to block when to interrupt and when to roll/dodge in combat.

Arthil on
  • oblivi0noblivi0n Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oblivi0n wrote: »
    Kinda disappointing as I bought a PS3 headset specifically for this (and yes the headset works). (Completely unrelated to DCUO, I was surprised to find out that PS3 has no party system a la Xbox Live.)

Other than this, I've been really digging DCUO.

It did...then it didn't. Ongoing issue.

Thanks. At least it's not just me having problems.

oblivi0n on
    oblivi0n.gif
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Honestly it sounds more like an issue of skill with the character, rather than her being OP. One has to be able to fight well, know when to block when to interrupt and when to roll/dodge in combat.

When the whole team is all playing as the same character, and that character has a juggle move such as the one Harley has, its rather difficult to block and interrupt when they are doing it to you all the time. I don't know if you've ever been in a fight against 4 Harley's at once but it isn't fun at all.

Lucascraft on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    5) I haven't delved too much into PvP yet, but the Legends battles are fucking retarded as hell. Every map, its like 90% Harley Quinn spamming her juggle move. Does nobody use any other characters? Is she the only character that's any good? I feel completely disadvantaged on Robin. I don't have the patience to even make it 10 games to get enough marks to unlock Harley. I was ready to retire for good from Legend PVP after 2 battles.

You mean the spin? that's easy, breakout (tap block) and then block and you knock the crazy dame on her ass (and if you're already blocking when she starts, you don't even have to do the breakout, so 4 spinning Harleys means 4 stunned Harleys)... Then a couple melee taps, then a quick hold ranged to counter the inevidable block they almost always do as soon as they get up and stun her again! Her real gamechanging power is her bomb; thing takes out about 1/4 of your health in an instant and it's AoE. However it's like Fire's Call meteor in that she creates something to throw, and then can throw it, so it's possible to stun her before she throws it, pick it up yourself, and then toss it her way. :P

The most important powers for Robin, beyond the AoE stun at 1, is his tazer rope (3 on the bar) and his whirling staff o' doom (#2, and it's accually ranged, even though there is nothing flying around when he does it.) Especially #2; use it when your target is fighting someone else, and you'll take out a good chunk of thier health before they realise they're acually fighting two guys instead of one.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When the whole team is all playing as the same character, and that character has a juggle move such as the one Harley has, its rather difficult to block and interrupt when they are doing it to you all the time. I don't know if you've ever been in a fight against 4 Harley's at once but it isn't fun at all.

I know brah, it happened yesterday for me. I was on a team of 4 Robins in the ACE chemicals lab, and the other team was all Harley's and just juggling and finishing with the boxing glove. I do need to unlock some of the other characters, see if Nightwing or Batman work a little better.

TexiKen on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Robin has his own juggle move, you know.

All the characters have special attacks. Each character has every trait and move in their assigned weapon set. Except the Joker. Which has dual pistols, and a unique 1H version of his moves.

You can also become immune to juggling/stuns for awhile (At the cost of a little energy.) by hitting shift after being juggled or stunned. Breakout can also knock enemies back when you do that, giving you some breathing room and room to counter attack.

In other words, if you want to know how to do a character's advanced moves, just make a character with the right weapon, and look up their skill set.

Robin is a staff user. Harley is a 2H user. Robin is actually quite powerful in the right hands. It's just that alot of folks have spread the information about how to do Harley's finishers around, unlike Robin, which, like all the finishers, are damn powerful. Mega Smash is easily interruptible.

Robin has his own overpowered attacks, however. The staff spin move is unblockable, undodgeable, can do well over 500 damage per person to a group that's packed close together (Damage is usually distributed. Staff spin damage isn't.) and renders you temporarily invincible, for instance.

Archonex on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tried hard to get into this, but something is missing. don't know what. don't feel immersed or invested in the world at all.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I know brah, it happened yesterday for me. I was on a team of 4 Robins in the ACE chemicals lab, and the other team was all Harley's and just juggling and finishing with the boxing glove. I do need to unlock some of the other characters, see if Nightwing or Batman work a little better.
    The Ledgends matches can be overwhelming at first, but the important thing to remember is that most of your opponents (unless you're fighting level 30 characters) don't actually know how to fight. Your best bet is to start each engagement by blocking. If your opponent doesn't know what they're doing then they'll quickly stun themselves by trying to use a weapon skill and getting blocked, or they'll waste their energy doing a super move and not get much damage out of it, and probably stun themselves in the process. When they're down, hit them with your strongest move, then try to stun them with a quick weapon combo, and then switch back to blocking. Most sub-level 30 opponents won't catch on and can be quickly dispatched. Also, Ledgends characters get unlimited free sodas that heal most of their health. If you can survive through the cooldown you can stay alive indefinately.

Of course, this only really works one-on-one or one-on-two. If there are any more enemies than that, head off to a different objective point (if their is one). In the long run this can help your team achieve victory much better than wining individual battles will. Plus the rewards for wining the match are much better (usually double) than the rewards for wining any individual fights during the match. I've personally found Arkham to be the easiest type to secure an overall victory, especially if you can activate the environmental hazards and get the level working in your favor.

Cururu on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

All the characters have special attacks. Each character has every trait and move in their assigned weapon set. Except the Joker. Which has dual pistols, and a unique 1H version of his moves.

You can also become immune to juggling/stuns for awhile (At the cost of a little energy.) by hitting shift after being juggled or stunned. Breakout can also knock enemies back when you do that, giving you some breathing room and room to counter attack.

In other words, if you want to know how to do a character's advanced moves, just make a character with the right weapon, and look up their skill set.

Robin is a staff user. Harley is a 2H user. Robin is actually quite powerful in the right hands. It's just that alot of folks have spread the information about how to do Harley's finishers around, unlike Robin, which, like all the finishers, are damn powerful. Mega Smash is easily interruptible.

Robin has his own overpowered attacks, however. The staff spin move is unblockable, undodgeable, can do well over 500 damage per person to a group that's packed close together (Damage is usually distributed. Staff spin damage isn't.) and renders you temporarily invincible, for instance.

Acually, Robin's Staff Spin is basicly a ranged weapon attack as a power; Hit him with an interupt when he's doing that, and you stun him.

...and the melee tap tap tap hold hold is an awesome weapon combo for Robin (and staff users in general.) All hold might be better damage wise, but it takes so much time that in PvP the chances you can go through the whole combo without getting blocked is slim.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So guys, i got scarecrows screamer from a preorder i have not opened yet, anyone wanna trade for maybe Deathstrokes sword :).???

battledrill on

Foefaller wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

Acually, Robin's Staff Spin is basicly a ranged weapon attack as a power; Hit him with an interupt when he's doing that, and you stun him.

...and the melee tap tap tap hold hold is an awesome weapon combo for Robin (and staff users in general.) All hold might be better damage wise, but it takes so much time that in PvP the chances you can go through the whole combo without getting blocked is slim.

The all Hold's move is great when there's a large battle raging around you.

Noone tends to notice the giant 500-700 damage hits until their health bar is nearly empty, at which point they tend to freak out.

Archonex on
    edited January 2011
    It was admittedly hilarious being attacked by a bunch of people lower level than me on my Hero, and killing them simply by holding block and using my ability that reflected damage.

Was like watching a puppy that kept trying to run outside but kept bonking into a glass door.

Arthil on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After the full ten day free buddy trial I caved and purchased a full copy of the game. I've started two new villains on the Darkness Falls server, HeartofGold and Cyber OZ if the evil League is still doing invites.

It's very classy of SoE to include a full month's subcription when you buy the game if I may say so.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If by "classy" you mean "the standard expectation for an MMO"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited January 2011
    Every MMO ever has given a free month >.>.

I think.

Arthil on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No description needed
    fn9rf8.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well after playing with ummm..... 12 different characters, I finally was able to decide on 1 main Hero and Villain.

Overall I am finding the game pretty fun. Though what is with the lack of quests at like level 7? All I have in my journal is a lvl 8 quest and the Legends PVP one.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited January 2011
    7? Odd... you should have plenty up until around 9, where you get breadcrumb quests that send you off to other cities.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    7? Odd... you should have plenty up until around 9, where you get breadcrumb quests that send you off to other cities.

Well I did the Brainiac ones and I did the Huntress/Gorilla dude ones, I did all the exploration quests from the silly machine, I did the "hey go talk to that guy over there, he needs help" one too.

Am I just looking in the wrong places? My hero is in Metropolis and my villain is in Gotham if you have any suggestions on where to look for more.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited January 2011
    Your journal?

They're added automatically, it's kinda crazy since by the teens it's filled with missions.

Arthil on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have NEVER been without TOO MANY missions in this game. Ever.

Its kind of fun, actually, going through lower level ones and feeling seriously super.

Although a lot of chains do seem to get broken this way.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
    edited January 2011
    Your journal?

They're added automatically, it's kinda crazy since by the teens it's filled with missions.

Well what the heck.

What am I doing wrong then. :(

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    edited January 2011
    Iunno D:

Arthil on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think.

Oh, well this is only the third MMO I've taken part of since WoW first launched all those years ago, and I think back then they did charge the first month on top of retail price. Just been a while since I subscribed to a new online game.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited January 2011

I think.

Oh, well this is only the third MMO I've taken part of since WoW first launched all those years ago, and I think back then they did charge the first month on top of retail price. Just been a while since I subscribed to a new online game.

Nnnnope first 30-days was free.

Enjoying the game btw?

Arthil on
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What a fun game. I just leveled up my Dual Pistol Villain "Great Gatsby" and if it wasnt for having to go to work tomorrow I would keep playing all night.

battledrill on

MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Your journal?

Well what the heck.

What am I doing wrong then. :(
    Did you do the Booster Gold Quests? (if you walk around inside the police station, you will find a kiosk that also gives quests).
    Did you do the races? (Stand inside the purple beam of light with a flag in it and start a race).

And you can also go to the Watchtower and find the teleports to Gotham's East End and Metropolis Chinatown (the two other areas) and do the races and kiosk missions there.

Normally speaking the 3 rookie races and a few exploration quests from the Booster Gold kiosks should push up your level a notch or two, and then a lot of new quests should appear.

And always check your journal, if the quest displays a [?] it might not be finished yet.

But before you know it you should be flooded in non-PVP quests ;-)

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm having an issue where if I queue for an Alert as a controller I always get assigned DPS. My dude is lvl 17, so maybe it's not necessary yet but I am allowed to create a loadout as a controller. Not sure what the issue is.

wusoldjr on
    edited January 2011
    Eh, just ignore it and go with your Controller loadout anyway. Trust me, people love you guys, you give us Power <3.

Arthil on
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eh, just ignore it and go with your Controller loadout anyway. Trust me, people love you guys, you give us Power <3.

Also, once you get your dominance up in 350+ range, you not only are useful for your power restoration, but you are useful for crowd control. Once you're able to trap bosses, you become a near necessity for boss fights like the end of arkham asylum

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, does anyone know Vitalization is for? Power regen?

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
    edited January 2011
    Indeed.

Arthil on
  • KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On No Man's Land now on the PS3, playing as Doctor Improbable, if anyone else is still on the PS3 (And I friended Snowpocalypse and Dirt Carcass, if either of you is on tonight look for me).

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Your sidekick with be 'The Unlikely LPN', right?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Koldanar wrote: »
    On No Man's Land now on the PS3, playing as Doctor Improbable, if anyone else is still on the PS3 (And I friended Snowpocalypse and Dirt Carcass, if either of you is on tonight look for me).
    I got a gadget hero (Aguila) up to level 30 a couple of nights ago on No Man's Land, and I just started a fire villian (Doc Fosforo) there as well.

Cururu on
  • KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cururu wrote: »
    Koldanar wrote: »
    I got a gadget hero (Aguila) up to level 30 a couple of nights ago on No Man's Land, and I just started a fire villian (Doc Fosforo) there as well.

Great...will look you up tonight (Villain side).

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
This discussion has been closed.