As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alteil: that card game that's being advertised on the front page

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey all. So I was sitting on my ass at work doing nothing, when I noticed a one of the adds on the main
penny-arcade site wasn't one I had seen before.

www.alteil.com

So I figured I'd see what it was (expecting nothing good), and discovered that it was infact, something interesting. Since it's way too much effort to try to explain the game, and the hyperactive tutorial does a pretty decent job explaining it: http://www.alteil.com/tutorial/tutorial.swf.

That should teach the basics. so far the game isn't too popular, but I'm hoping some people here will be interested.

Also: It's based in flash, so you can play at work. That's gotta be a good incentive.

(also it's free, but you can pay money to buy more cards in normal TCG fashion. You can get this money free though with some work)

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eh, i really don't think i have the patience to learn another ccg. looks pretty cool, though.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've yet to play a game of this, but that tutorial assumes that you're a complete idiot and is very annoying. Not a good first impression.

Peewi on
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    (also it's free, but you can pay money to buy more cards in normal TCG fashion. You can get this money free though with some work)

Hey, I get free money for working! This sounds right up my alley!

edit: Okay, I'm registered as DogRaper, is there a PA guild yet?

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I haven't made a PA guild or anything (since for some reason I can't actually play at work. Not sure why) I'll try to set something up tonight. Any recomendations for names?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    crappy mcsuck guild?

PikaPuff going through the tutorial now

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man, I was like, "Fuck the tutorial" and went straight to the arena and played a game with a dude and it was pretty easy to get the hang of so now I have one unranked game under my belt and I know how to play a little and I don't have to click through eons of text.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Really? I didn't understand shit, when ever I tried to choose a card it said something like "not enough *blablabla*".

Probably spell points. You have to assign some to whatever color is attached to the card you want. I don't know how much you're supposed to put in a color, but I put three in the color of my card file (purple) and I can cast whatever I want as long as I have the number of points in the blue circle equal to or greater than the card I want to use.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I got down to 1 lp, cast some armagheddon spell, and the guy lost 3 points and died

I'm guessing each card sent to the graveyard = 1 LP lost?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I got down to 1 lp, cast some armagheddon spell, and the guy lost 3 points and died

I'm guessing each card sent to the graveyard = 1 LP lost?

Each card they cannot bring back/ressurect = 1 LP lost.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also I had 2sp+, but I couldn't revive some cards that died. I also cast spells for no reason

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also I had 2sp+, but I couldn't revive some cards that died. I also cast spells for no reason

In order to revive a card you need to have another one of that card.

Peewi on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn you OP! I made the same thread about the same game and no one reply, I guess everyone hate me here. I guess its the title, very well done.

Anyway, this CCG is very easy to learn, try the flash tutorial in the main site.

Some quick term.

Soul Skill: If you place it to the top 5 panel of your deck, it activate as you take damage.
    Action Skill: If you have manually activate it.
    Auto Skill: Will activate even if you don't want it to.
    Close SKill: activate when the card's lp hit 0
    Open Skill: activate when the card first come out.

There are also some skill that only activate at night time (night, morning, noon, once per turn).

4 types of theme:

~Red- High attack power, cards can level up if you have enough points put into color red.
    ~Yellow-balance..... I don't see anything really special, being argued in the forum being the weakest of all deck till new cards release in the future
    ~Blue- Cards with mostly female anime girl arts. More of a quantity over quality deck..... most cards have small effects that buff other cards... so if you have a lot of cards on the field you'll have a swarm of nearly impossible to kill monsters.
    ~Purple- If this is a MMORPG, necromancer will fit the description of this deck.

This should get you started, you'll learn to love it as you play it.

Don't forget to play Mirage Master once a day, you get some free money to cumulate so you can buy cards.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You cast spells most likely due to your soul cards. Go edit your deck, the top 5 cards appear on top of your deck are the cards you used as your soul. Each cards give you different amount of Life Points, as you take life points damage, whatever "Soul Skill" the card has will activate.

Any cards can be use as soul card, but some have high lp but sucky to no effects, some have low lp but very strong effects.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    luposlupos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hi all,

Full disclosure "I WORK ON THIS GAME". Not trying to be all sneaky and trick anyone. That out of the way, we have an html tutorial. It's got all the content of the flash with a bity less of the condicension (sp?).
    it's here: http://www.alteil.com/index.php/tutorial/html
    Glad a few of you have given it a shot, and thanks to those of you trying to promote it. Sadly I'm going to have to change dograpers name, it's an EULA thing, but Ill deal with that tomorrow so get all the dogs you can for tonight.

We do also have a forum with a lot of answers to comon questions if you care to browse and I'll try and check this thread if anyone cares to ask me anything.

Ok, quasi sales pitch over.

lupos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ALTEIL.com GM | XBL: lupos | My ALTEIL GM Blog
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DogRaper, we hardly knew ye

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hhhahahahahaaahaha YES.

now I can fear every game I play, in case a company lurker is waiting to take action. thanks for the info, lupos.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Totally trying this out. I went with Gowen, anyone know what that word means? Is it like Japanese for something or a crazy made up word? I expected it to be like fire based, but from what I've seen so far that's not exactly true.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ishbu wrote: »
    Totally trying this out. I went with Gowen, anyone know what that word means? Is it like Japanese for something or a crazy made up word? I expected it to be like fire based, but from what I've seen so far that's not exactly true.

It's not Japanese.

admanb on
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh well, color me uncultured. At any rate, it's a pretty fun game. Although who goes first seems to have a big impact on if you win or not.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    All four of the names are written in katakana, so they're not japanese.

And who goes first is agility.

This is a really interesting new concept to me in card games.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hooooly sheeeeeeeeet. came back with 1lp vs their 7lp. just kept blocking and using cards I had three of

ruby carbuncle is almost a staple for your soul deck

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm finding this kinda interesting. I picked yellow, and I'm kinda enjoying the flexibility. I'm very jealous of some of the +Def combos that (blue?) gets. Freaking invincible last guy due to that soul ability that gives like +50 def till the end of the game.

Anyway, I'm Deke in the game. We'll see if it holds my interest enough to get my cash. :)

deke55555 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What? Nooo!
    Dammit. Invalid ID or password?

Time to sign up the ole surname. McSodomy.

edit: I can't read a EULA! It's against my religion!

moar edit: Okay, nevermind, I'm DogLover? Because apparently you only rape the ones you love.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well I just signed up as AdeptPenguin picked the red faction, whatever the hell they are...the training arena however is completely dead =(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I advocate trial by fire. Skip the training area!

deke55555 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, i just won my first game...neither me nor the other guy had any idea wtf was going on, it seemed like units were taking random damage, i.e on the last turn one his cards took 30 damage killing it..none of my cards did it..he didn't think he did it..but it opened him up to me doing two iczar attacks and finishing him

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, i just won my first game...neither me nor the other guy had any idea wtf was going on, it seemed like units were taking random damage, i.e on the last turn one his cards took 30 damage killing it..none of my cards did it..he didn't think he did it..but it opened him up to me doing two iczar attacks and finishing him

Was it maybe a soul card or auto ability thing? I see those go off at what are apparently appropriate times.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You've got these 5 cards, called soul cards. You don't play them as regular cards, but once you've taken some damage they go off. One of them probably did some random damage.

You can see them in a little list of 5 cards under your avatar in the game, or in the top row of the deck editor.

deke55555 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    you have 1lp, the 5 cards you pick as soul cards have an LP stat that gives you more LP.

let's say you have 5 cards, A-E, that each give 2 LP and each have a SOUL ability. you will have 11LP for the game.

each time a card's LP is killed, its soul ability activates. in this case, when you have 9LP, card E is used, then 7, 5, 3, and 1 for the other four cards.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ahh alright, i get it now, the tutorials explanation of that was basically gibberish =p yeah it looks like it was one of my LP cards "Do 20 damage to all units under level 3"

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    haha that card would kill everything on my field

wait that's not funny

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, do the soul cards not have HP when they're soul cards?

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    you got a playing deck and a soul deck, you can't summon cards from the soul deck, they're tiny icons near your avatar picture. so they don't have hp. they add to your LP

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This game is pretty fun, even though I suck at it. One thing that's confusing me, is that I have no idea how it's decided which enemy unit is attacked.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    *breaking official alteil announcement*

It's agi(ility) based. But, if more than one card has the same agility, the computer randomly decides who goes first. It can be rather nerve wracking if you got a particular strategy in the works and it's all based on the out come of a particular round. Gives it a nice "roll of the dice" feel i think.

*and now back to your regularly scheduled non-alteil employees*

lupos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't think he means who goes first, but more like, If I have a guy with range 1 on my front line, and the opponent has two guys on his front line, how is it decided which one mine will attack? Is it completely random?

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    lupos i hate you you were all in the chat lobby being all hip and i made a room and you didn't join in within the 30 seconds I had the roomup. I tore down all the posters I had of you and cried in my bed huggin my dollies.
    I don't think he means who goes first, but more like, If I have a guy with range 1 on my front line, and the opponent has two guys on his front line, how is it decided which one mine will attack? Is it completely random?

that's random. that's why some guys have the action skill that lets you attack a target within range. those let you choose.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »
    So, do the soul cards not have HP when they're soul cards?

If a card is a soul card, only it's soul skill and lp matter. If its not a soul card, everything but those two matter. And in case anyone gets into deck building, you can only ever have 3 of any card in a deck. So 1 soul and 2 in the file. 2 soul, 1 in file. 0 soul 3 in file etc....

lupos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    lupos i hate you you were all in the chat lobby being all hip and i made a room and you didn't join in within the 30 seconds I had the roomup. I tore down all the posters I had of you and cried in my bed huggin my dollies.

What's your iczer name and when was this? I skim around a bit but don't get to play all that much... stupid work. :(

lupos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i dunno, an hour before the maintenance. my name is [strike]DogRaper[/strike] PikaPuff.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png