As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GROAN ON] Team Fortress 2 : We Don't Have Zombies, (but we have each other)

1575859606163»

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I decided I want to learn how to play an offensive engineer. Other than being rude, swearing, and spouting lots of racial slurs (I kid!), does anybody have any advice? As I understand it, the best way to do it is to plant lvl 1 sentries in unexpected places and shotgun people around it and to it, then move up with the weapons of the fallen. Don't upgrade your gun as it just wastes metal.

Are there any use for dispensers? Is it a good idea to try to get a lvl 3 up if you've got it in a brutal spot near their base?

Again, I'm talking about offensive engi, I know most all of the defensive engi stuff and generic engi stuff, so don't tell me that hitting my stuff will make it build faster.
    Use your pistol to kill people at long range.

tofu on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I decided I want to learn how to play an offensive engineer. Other than being rude, swearing, and spouting lots of racial slurs (I kid!), does anybody have any advice? As I understand it, the best way to do it is to plant lvl 1 sentries in unexpected places and shotgun people around it and to it, then move up with the weapons of the fallen. Don't upgrade your gun as it just wastes metal.

Are there any use for dispensers? Is it a good idea to try to get a lvl 3 up if you've got it in a brutal spot near their base?

Again, I'm talking about offensive engi, I know most all of the defensive engi stuff and generic engi stuff, so don't tell me that hitting my stuff will make it build faster.

Pretty much(for the first part.) I've noticed upgrading it to level 2 is the best. 3 is overkill as it'll die quickly and you've wasted 200 metal. You pretty much have it down though. Sneaky sentry spots - level 2, shotgunnin' nerds the whole nine. I say no to dispensers unless it's out of the way where noone will kill it. They're useful for ammo to heavies and such but that's it. You're better off scavenging.
    iowa wrote: »
    Do it before class starts on the 25th yus

AGREEIN' WIT DIS RIGHT HERE

What on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Use your pistol to kill people at long range.
    It's also great for sniping other engies' sentries.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Northeast unite.
    yea but fuck Boston.

that place sucks.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Edit - Let me Lime green that shit for emphasis.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    westside

tofu on
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    new thread started.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I was playing offensive engy on Freight yesterday for the first time in a longgg time.

1) don't try it if you already have more than 1 engineer on the team. You need to rely on the combat classes of the team to distract the enemy so you can get your level 1 up. I usually find other engineers to be a burden because they always try to upgrade my sentry and then I feel guilty when I blow it up 2 seconds later because the front lines have moved up.
    2) I used my pistol more than my shotgun. Try to keep your distance and get assists with the pistol until you see an optimal time to set the sentry.
    3) If you don't see a good time to build a sentry then fall back and throw up a teleporter. They're just as important as sentries.

also duld doesn't know what he's talking about lvl 2 sentries r bad

iowa on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    So I'm planning on making an Eastern and Western division and people can choose what division they'd like to be in.

Schedule matches for 7pm Eastern and 7pm Pacific on each night of a week. If we want this to be fun I think it needs to be fast, and if we want to get it done in a week two divisions with 3 teams each is enough.

Is putting it the week of the 11th to the 16th too early? Will people be able to schedule their evenings about a week in advance?
    for me it's too early, sadly i'm out on vacation the 14th to 19th...the one freaking week out of the year that i'm going to be out of the state on vacation....friggin boo....

hopefully we have another one soon

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    VaLiantine wrote: »

LOL and why is that?

Cause you're from NY and just hate anything Boston?

NYC actually is a dump and anyone I've ever met while there were just complete and utter dickwads.

Then again, Boston is much like that.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

LOL and why is that?

NYC actually is a dump and anyone I've ever met while there were just complete and utter dickwads.

People in NYC are only dickwads because if someone is actually being nice we assume they're about to ask if we like comedy and try to get us into some tourist trap comedy club hell hole.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

LOL and why is that?

You got New Yorkers done to an art.

It ain't a dump though, we got shitty parts but there are some great places in Manhattan and the other boroughs.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

LOL and why is that?

I lived in NYC for 17 years, and have been in Boston for 8 years and here's the scoop. Both cities would be fantastic if it wasn't filled with assholes. Much like every other city in the world. :)

So what's this, they got rid of the health bonus on the Backburner? I leave TF2 for one week and everything is on it's head. :(

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Monsty on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Drop teleporters and dispensers in odd corners whenever you can, lead people into sentry guns, and shoot everything that moves.

The biggest, most blindingly important thing about offensive engineering is to realize that you are essentially a slow scout with more midrange punch... And the ability to bring down the wrath of god on the enemy team when they least expect it, and sometimes when they do.

Your sentry gun takes the back seat to your shotgun, pistol and wrench. While you don't have the kablooie of the explosive classes, you do have the means to clean up after them and convince people to run away while you drop your equipment.

Since your sentry is usually in an unsafe position and will rarely hit level three, you need to learn to use it as a support weapon. Luring enemies around a corner past an unorthodox sentry location is a great way to clear out cp defenders. Blowing it up after a kill or two and placing it elsewhere is the way to ensure that they'll bite it just as hard when they come looking for revenge. Sitting there wrenching the thing next to a doorway is usually just a fancy way to get killed.

When it comes to weapons, we all know that the shotgun is a shotgun, and is therefore awesome, but the pistol is an incredibly useful weapon that Engineers often neglect. It's a great backup weapon since you can switch to it far faster than you can reload your shotgun, (If you have time to reload your shotgun, you have time to fire your pistol.) but it's also excellent for picking off Medics behind Heavies, spraying fire into crowds and, this is a common one, killing suicidal Pyros.

How to kill a Pyro with a pistol:

1: Watch Pyro charge team mates, notice that your team mates run away in a straight line.

2: Back up so that you have a good view of his path as he chases them.

3: Shoot Pyro as he travels in a straight line, still backing up.

4: If he notices you, run past whomever just respawned while waving your arms and screaming like a little girl.

Thing is, the front line classes aren't well equipped for finishing targets if they miss their big shots, but an Engineer can sit there and unload clip after clip, hopefully saving a team mate or two from fiery death. This is where having dispensers down where the fighting is helps, fire breaks teams. Dispensers break fire.

It's a good idea to drop dispensers as the line of battle changes, but try to put them in somewhat stable locations. The biggest thing is not to be afraid to relocate. A dispenser takes a little while to bring up so putting it down in a big melee usually doesn't help, but a little behind and to the left? It never hurts.

Now teleporters rock, but lots of players, myself included, tend to neglect placing them because we haven't gotten far enough ahead for it to seem worth dropping. This is because we are stupid. If it makes the run shorter for someone, it's worth it. Picking up a few giblets on the way to the enemy base should provide more than enough metal for a new teleporter anyway.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stop posting in here.

OH GOD

Asiina on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    YOUR NOT MY REAL MOD!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    p.s. i can't believe no one commented on my bawstin video.

you guys encourage terrorism.

R.I.P Brad Delp.

I was gonna, but was taking a nap. That early mornin fo' twenty makes me a wee bit tired.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Thing is, the front line classes aren't well equipped for finishing targets if they miss their big shots, but an Engineer can sit there and unload clip after clip, hopefully saving a team mate or two from fiery death. This is where having dispensers down where the fighting is helps, fire breaks teams. Dispensers break fire.

I wonder how long it would take for an Engineer to completely run out of pistol ammo firing as quickly as possible. I need to test that out some time.

jothki on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Warning: Thread has reached critical mass. Structural failure imminent.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
This discussion has been closed.