As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Games and Technology
a

Pojaco on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hear Rise of Nations (and possibly the sequal) are pretty good
    Seemed like a decent Age of Empires update from what I played of the first one.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Medieval: Total War 2 goes from the Dark Ages to the Renaissance, and is a great hybrid RTS/TBS.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alpha Centauri

Arceus on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    Alpha Centauri

Nice idea, except he's asking for RTS. It's even in the thread title.

Rise of Nations is a pretty fun game, and it spans different ages like you're asking for. It incorporates cultural borders similar to Civilization's, too.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    Alpha Centauri

Nice idea, except he's asking for RTS. It's even in the thread title.
    My bad, I saw "Civ" and blanked out.

Arceus on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire

e: Well, I guess Sins doesn't span ages, but it is still a hybrid empire building RTS. I would give it a try even though it doesn't do the whole Civilization/Age of Empires gimmick.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I hear Rise of Nations (and possibly the sequal) are pretty good
    Seemed like a decent Age of Empires update from what I played of the first one.

Absolutely, this.

W2 on
  • Options
    doolallydoolally Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rise of Nations, without a doubt.

doolally on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Sins of a Solar Empire

e: Well, I guess Sins doesn't span ages, but it is still a hybrid empire building RTS. I would give it a try even though it doesn't do the whole Civilization/Age of Empires gimmick.

It's very much a hybrid RTS / 4X game. Everything is in real time but things move at a much slower pace than the standard RTS. It's a lot more focussed on building your empire and trying to outdo your other opponents, sort of a 4X lite. Diplomacy and tech tree's are there, but they're more basic than a standard 4X game in order to suit the style of play.

Depending on the size of the universe and the number of players, games can last anywhere from around an hour to several solid days. You can be battling it out in one small solar system or across several galaxies. It's a pretty awesome game.

subedii on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll echo Rise of Nations as well. The sequel is pretty good too, but I just couldn't quite get into the theme as much. Still a great game to play, however. And as a bonus, they're both pretty old, so you should be able to get them on the cheap.

Empire Earth was a similar game, but in my opinion, never quite as good. Didn't have as many units or anything, but still a fun play.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Incidentally, if you don't mind RTS's that don't span several periods, Company of Heroes is one of the best out there. Really epic WWII RTS.

If you're leaning more towards macro strategy instead of micro and squad level tactics, then Supreme Commander might be a better choice.

subedii on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks everyone. I've been playing tons of CoH, and found that I didn't really enjoy Supreme Commander. I'll pick up Rise of Nations today and give it a spin. This thread can be locked.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rise of Nations is most definitely what you're looking for. Much more complex than any other game I've played of its type, but very well-balanced and easy to get into.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rise of Nations is pretty damn sweet. I just wish they changed the scale on that game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved Rise of Nations and I still play it from time to time. Rome: Total War is pretty great, and it has a sort of Age of Empires progression. I guess that Medieval 2: Total War is probably a newer version of the same thing though.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, time for a rise of nations game on?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Populous DS

Notice how the eras aren't so much medieval-->renaissance etc., but GameCube-->Wii etc. Nifty little touch.

Opium on
  • Options
    reignofevilreignofevil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God.... Is that you?
    Your doing a fine job.

reignofevil on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I could never understand how to play populous. I wanted to, I really did, I just... couldn't figure it out.

Raslin on

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Empire Earth 2 was pretty good. It was a little rough around the edges, but it lead to some interesting multiplayer games.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I could never understand how to play populous. I wanted to, I really did, I just... couldn't figure it out.

Uh, you flatten ground so your dudes can build. Then, once your population gets big, you use the menu to create warriors, and cast spells at the enemy.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I meant more of the controls than anything. Nothing seemed to do anything >.>

Raslin on

• Options
    edited July 2008

You play the PC or SNES one? On the SNES, its pretty straightforward. I never played the computer version though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    alpha centauri

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    alpha centauri

Not real time.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

You play the PC or SNES one? On the SNES, its pretty straightforward. I never played the computer version though.

Genesis, actually

Raslin on

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

Don't worry, I never could figure out how to play the Ceaser games back when I was kid. Granted, I was 10.

Also, I'm throwing another vote for Rise of Nations and the expansion. Very good games.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, Populous is being remade for the DS? Holy shit, I used to spend hours playing that as a kid though it took me a long, long time to figure out what everything did (I bought it used, hence no manual).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png