As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

recommend me a puzzle game

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for something to hold my interest for a few days. I have a crappy computer (733 mhz) so I'm looking for some sort of free non-CPU intensive puzzle game, preferably one that isn't timed and makes you think. I really want to play Dorf Fortress, but I think this computer would poop itself if I tried to run it.

HalberdBlue on

• fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.thinkfun.com/RUSHHOUR.ASPX?PageNo=RUSHHOUR

Requires no batteries, is lots of fun and has new puzzle packs.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    HOLY CRAP. That is actually PRECISELY the game I was thinking of when I made that post. I played it (or a variant of it) years ago, and was hoping someone might post it if I made a thread like this, I just couldn't recall what it was called and "moving blocks around to get one to escape" didn't seem like a very good description for a game. Thanks!

HalberdBlue on
    edited July 2008
    Hah, looks like I spoke too soon. Anyone know of any other online versions of that?

HalberdBlue on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Desktop Tower Defense or any random variation of Bejeweled would probably be right up your alley.

KVW on
  • Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god I'm going to look like a shill for Caravel because this is the second time today I've mentioned this in a recommendation thread:

DROD. http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/Games.html King Dugan's Dungeon is free--it's the last one on the list.

I have no idea how many hours of gameplay there are. Tons, just in the first game.

It's been called the "best puzzle game ever made."

Cold Koala on
  • starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geezus, 733 mhz, how old is that thing?

*ahem* this isn't exactly a puzzle game, but you might want to try Liero, if you can find a copy somewhere. It doesn't run on XP, but I still believe it is the best game ever, especially if you can find a friend to play with you (on that 733 machine)

starlancerii on
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hah, looks like I spoke too soon. Anyone know of any other online versions of that?

I have looked for an online version with no luck. The game is worth finding. They also have train and safari versions. The best single player game, not requiring a tv/monitor, I have ever played.
    KVW reccomends DeskTop Tower Defense. That is an excellent way to spend some strategy time. It looks simple but requires some thinking to make up a decent defense.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fishdom is ridiculously addictive

azada is a good puzzle (like, mind puzzle, do this to do that) game

ihmmy on
  • LerageLerage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think a version of what you're looking for is called Klotski - it used to be a free game on (I think) Windows 95 - there are plenty of free versions online, I loved that game!

Lerage on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Isn't Klotski just a tetris clone? I mean it allows you choose some oddball pieces, but it's not super awesome.

Alternatively
    Chips Challenge.

Seriously. I love that game. I'm not sure where to get it free legally though. Ran on my old 386 just fine.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    I forgot to mention that I am on a Mac.

HalberdBlue on
  • LerageLerage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klotski

It's a game where you move the blocks to get another block out - I thought it seemed similar to the game that was posted very near the start, and what the OP had been looking for for ages...

Lerage on