As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek Online - Engage!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess if they want different factions, like WoW's Horde/Alliance, then they are limited somewhat. Otherwise yeah, there are dozens of races to use. Off the top of my head:

Human
    Vulcan
    Andorian
    ...Those blue ones with the line down the middle (the barber in TNG was one of them)

Depending on when the game is set:
    Klingon
    Romulan
    Bajoran
    Cardassian

There's really no excuse for them having to limit themselves to Homo Sapian.

Except as a sure fire way to sell expansion packs.

Bigity on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder how many people will actually play as Klingons who are not members of the Federation. I can't imagine you can create your own alien species and play on the Klingon faction, it just doesn't seem like it would fit with lore, unless maybe you are more of a rogue/solo entity who has decided to side with the Klingons.

I'm suspecting, since you can create your own alien species as a character, that the game is going to end up letting you create your own homeworlds as well. Cryptic seems big on player created content, as they have mentioned their engine being built to allow it, and they want there to always be new discoveries. That seems like the easiest way to do it, much like Spore.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I wonder how many people will actually play as Klingons who are not members of the Federation. I can't imagine you can create your own alien species and play on the Klingon faction, it just doesn't seem like it would fit with lore, unless maybe you are more of a rogue/solo entity who has decided to side with the Klingons.

I'm suspecting, since you can create your own alien species as a character, that the game is going to end up letting you create your own homeworlds as well. Cryptic seems big on player created content, as they have mentioned their engine being built to allow it, and they want there to always be new discoveries. That seems like the easiest way to do it, much like Spore.

Actually, I have no interest in the federation, would definitely go for Klingon.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know there are diehard Klingon fans but I could see this being even worse than Alliance vs Horde or Space marines vs Everyone Else.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never been much of a ST fan, I mean, I've caught most of the series on TV at one point or another, and I'd go Klingon every time. Not so much because I like Klingons, but rather because the federation is a bunch of tools.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yes, I like the look of most of the Federation ships (at least TOS designs), but man...the amount of PC in the air could choke a gas cloud monster.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess if they want different factions, like WoW's Horde/Alliance, then they are limited somewhat. Otherwise yeah, there are dozens of races to use. Off the top of my head:

Human
    Vulcan
    Andorian
    ...Those blue ones with the line down the middle (the barber in TNG was one of them)

Depending on when the game is set:
    Klingon
    Romulan
    Bajoran
    Cardassian

There's really no excuse for them having to limit themselves to Homo Sapian.

not to mention Trill, Bajoran, Betazoid, many many others.

I'm failing trekkie 101 but wouldn't it be fun to be the race that used references to events from TNG? Shaka...when the walls fell.

Wouldn't it be cool to start out as a Borg? you assimilate your skills from other people, converting them to Borg along the way.

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know there are diehard Klingon fans but I could see this being even worse than Alliance vs Horde or Space marines vs Everyone Else.
    Why the hell would anyone want to play Space Marines? Again? Give me unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors from space and I'm happy.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey, I like the Ultramarines. But not really any of the other chapters. I would vastly prefer Tyranids for a video game though.

Bigity on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can envision entire Klingon fleets.

speaking nothing but actual klingon.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All I want to do is play as a Ferengi and sell bootleg copies of The Picard Song out of back of my crappy Warp 1 starship. If they can do this for me, I'm in for life.
    The Picard Song
    Sers though. Even though they have a long way to go, I'm pretty excited about what I see and hear so far.

knigge on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That song put me into a trance.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That song is so good. So good.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wont play this unless i can fly at warp 10 to every unexplored planet in the galaxy and womanize everything. And name my character Dirk. I always imagine this when i take over other peoples worlds in Sins of a Solar Empire. Engage the orbital rape bombardment.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wont play this unless i can fly at warp 10...
    Really? I'd recommend against it.
    ST-VOY_Threshold.jpg

knigge on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Didn't warp 10 used to mean infinite speed, before it got raped to all hell and back in pretty much every series? I think TNG was mooooooostly trying not to mess with it too much (though I remember them doing it at least twice), but Voyager... good lord.

Glal on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    knigge wrote: »
    I wont play this unless i can fly at warp 10...
    Really? I'd recommend against it.
    ST-VOY_Threshold.jpg

This is why i WANT to be able to fly at warp 10. I wanna see my dude get all messed up and mutated and crap. Chances are the game is going to be super shallow and a knock off of EvE online though since many MMO's seem to just look at what is popular then just copy it and add in something they say is revolutionary but in all actuality its just some cocked up thing we've already seen just renamed to something else.

Also Voyager was like the worst star trek ever....actually Deep Space nine was worse. Space Station? Come on that just takes the fun out of the whole thing.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's the backstory on that picture?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

http://agonybooth.com/recaps/Star_Trek/Voyager/Threshold.aspx
    SUMMARY: Tom Paris, navigator of the starship Voyager, discovers a way to travel at warp 10. Which, until now, was apparently a "theoretical impossibility", and means the same thing as achieving "infinite velocity". His test flight is a raging success, except for the part where he mutates and his body can no longer process oxygen or water, and his head expands to twice its normal size and various body parts fall off. The holographic Doctor races to find a cure, but not before Paris kidnaps Captain Janeway, subjects her to a warp 10 shuttle flight, and causes them both to mutate into... no, no, it's just too stupid. You'll never believe me if I just blurt it out like this. Read the whole recap, and just maybe you'll believe an ending this idiotic was actually scripted and filmed.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also Voyager was like the worst star trek ever....actually Deep Space nine was worse. Space Station? Come on that just takes the fun out of the whole thing.
    DS9 had some great stories. It's failing was putting those stories in Star Trek. Though, some of the stories we a little eh... I'm looking right at you, Vic Fontaine.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Chances are the game is going to be super shallow and a knock off of EvE online though since many MMO's seem to just look at what is popular then just copy it and add in something they say is revolutionary but in all actuality its just some cocked up thing we've already seen just renamed to something else.
    That's only true when they copy WoW (or if you like, Everquest), where the basic concept has been honed and polished into a very high quality product where you need loads of resources just to reach that level, let alone surpass it.
    With EvE, it's not exactly hard to think of changes that would make it more fun and accessible to a broader public that don't require high investments to made work in MMO form. Like, hey guys, how about direct ship control? I heard this new fangled space sim called Wing Commander had it, oh, 16 years ago (or Elite or whichever one you prefer).

As far as space sim MMOs go, I'm cautiously optimistic about Jumpgate Evolution.

Glal on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This looks Great. Set Phasers to Farm!!

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. No multiplayer ships. Okay. The away-team section better be pretty goddamned compelling, then, because we already *have* EvE Online.

Also: AI-only crewmen sounds like the game is going to be heavily influenced by Enterprise--specifically, they'll focus all of their resources on special effects and the actor playing the commander character, and then they'll saddle him with a cast that cannot fucking act.

SammyF on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why does EvE keep coming up as the end-all, be-all of space MMOs? EvE is hella boring.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    While EVE is an awesome game, it's not for everyone. It has the same appeal as a spreadsheet for some. I get that. They're not trying to make EVE 2.0 and thank god for that.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SammyF wrote: »
    Hmm. No multiplayer ships. Okay. The away-team section better be pretty goddamned compelling, then, because we already *have* EvE Online.

Also: AI-only crewmen sounds like the game is going to be heavily influenced by Enterprise--specifically, they'll focus all of their resources on special effects and the actor playing the commander character, and then they'll saddle him with a cast that cannot fucking act.

You shut your dirty mouth.

Trip and the Flox kicked ass.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

As long as I can get a cloaking bird of prey that I can use submarine style tactics against others with, I'll be happy.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The official forums for this are hilarious. People have been fantasizing about something like this for so long that the game must be exactly just so or else.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »

http://agonybooth.com/recaps/Star_Trek/Voyager/Threshold.aspx
    SUMMARY: Tom Paris, navigator of the starship Voyager, discovers a way to travel at warp 10. Which, until now, was apparently a "theoretical impossibility", and means the same thing as achieving "infinite velocity". His test flight is a raging success, except for the part where he mutates and his body can no longer process oxygen or water, and his head expands to twice its normal size and various body parts fall off. The holographic Doctor races to find a cure, but not before Paris kidnaps Captain Janeway, subjects her to a warp 10 shuttle flight, and causes them both to mutate into... no, no, it's just too stupid. You'll never believe me if I just blurt it out like this. Read the whole recap, and just maybe you'll believe an ending this idiotic was actually scripted and filmed.

that was the lamest episode ever

they turn into lizards and mate

then change back into humans

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it's a goddamn bloodbath over there.

The basement-dwellers want ships that can ONLY function if crewed entirely by other players. Like, some guy would be captain and he would give orders and then the rest of them would play little Puzzle Pirates-like minigames on their consoles in order to do stuff. Because that sounds fucking thrilling. Oh, you get the steer the ship and fire the phasers while I monitor energy readouts from a nearby nebula? Fuck you. And that's just the beginning of the insanity.

They also think anyone who doesn't know everything there is to know about Star Trek is an incompetent douchebag who should die in a fire.

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I posted on some old STO forums back when it was first announced and didn't look like a cartoon. those were decent forums (fan site I think)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ceno wrote: »

The basement-dwellers want ships that can ONLY function if crewed entirely by other players. Like, some guy would be captain and he would give orders and then the rest of them would play little Puzzle Pirates-like minigames on their consoles in order to do stuff. Because that sounds fucking thrilling. Oh, you get the steer the ship and fire the phasers while I monitor energy readouts from a nearby nebula? Fuck you. And that's just the beginning of the insanity.

They also think anyone who doesn't know everything there is to know about Star Trek is an incompetent douchebag who should die in a fire.

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?
    Is there something wrong with using puzzle quest as a reference on how to do multi-crew ships? I'd love something like that myself.

Doesn't have to be required, just an optional thing with some benefits to it.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?
    Is there something wrong with using puzzle quest as a reference on how to do multi-crew ships? I'd love something like that myself.

Yes, it sounds retarded, that is what is wrong with it.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?

Yes, it sounds retarded, that is what is wrong with it.

Whoops, I made a mistake. I meant to say Puzzle Pirates. Either way, I would love to have multi-person ships in one form or another.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?

Perhaps the puzzle is getting the borg chick to ah..'assimilate' before you do, or at the same time at least. Oh wait, that's probably more a Japanese MMO.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It is rather cool that space stations will be guild halls.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, you see a guild hall and call it "awesome," while I see another venue in which I'll have to interact with the mouthbreathers on the game's forum, and I call it "horrifying." Just give me a couple of social hubs where I can collect quest assignments, and give me a fast ship so I can get the fuck away from these people and play a game that will hopefully be fun on its own merits.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    when are guild halls ever used? as long as there is stuff to actually do in a game, people are going to be out doing them. if they aren't doing them, chances are they're logged off doing something else.

unless you design an entire game around there being absolutely nothing to do (ala SWG), people aren't likely to socially congregrate unless they get xp for standing around in a certain spot.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They should make guildhalls have;

a) Player owned merchants
    b) Point of travel
    c) Guild buff NPC

That'd make them useful

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Or a place to replenish crew (red shirts, anyone?) and a location required for more extensive repairs (could be done while off-line?), some short-term length requirement like that.

Bigity on