As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Activision is the new EA: Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters, 50 Cent canned?

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    As long as Brutal Legend dies the ignoble death it so richy deserves then I will bow before my new gods at Actiblizzon. I'll replace Pimpuchi with I dunno, Pimp GH man? Pimp Thrall? Pimp Tony Hawk!

20070409380pxzm7.jpg
    I believe that this entire situation requires a bigger version of that image that I've edited.
    Hateyoutodeath.jpg

Though who the fuck thought it was a good idea to shitcan Ghostbusters, I mean seriously you have a game that would print money and you go naww I don't think so.. and you.. I just.. BUGHA!!!

bio_grimes.gif

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Noooo not Brutal Legend i waited years for a game like this YEARS

Green Lantern on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why the Tim Schafer hate? I don't get it.

Schide on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Something tells me that a few of those games will get picked up by other companies. Preview builds of Ghostbusters and 50 Cent, for example, have shown them to be pretty far along in development. I don't think EA or whoever would pass up the opportunity to make a quick buck on those. Unless, of course, ActiBlizz still owns the rights to those games and won't sell them, in which case tough cookies.

On a related note, I hope to god no one picks up the rights to Brutal Legend. I don't care how much I get flamed for this, that shit and it's creator deserve to die.

You may be the minority here since tim shafer has quite a lot of fans here. Day of the tentacle is a testament to how awesome he is.

Viscountalpha on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the dude probably has no clue who tim schafer is

creator of some of the best games of all time.

he's yet to make a bad game :/

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • rippa2krippa2k Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TIm Schafer is a genius, without him, our gaming past would have been very, very different... imagine monkey island without insult swordfighting!!

BRUTAL LEGEND MUST NOT DIE!!!!!!!

rippa2k on
    My Niko is going to start wearing purple, wearing purple, da-da-da-da-da!

latekillerbean.png
  • HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fuck! Please save Brutal Legend.

HtR-Laser on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm scared it might die. the general public just doesn't appreciate games like Brutal Legend any more

i mean, can you imagine monkey island being released nowadays? that shit wouldn't fly. clearly brutal legend is different, but that doesn't make me any less scared

on the other hand, he is one of the computer gaming/video game gods, so i'm sure he can find a publisher

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I originally came to this thread to rally for Brutal Legend's cause, which I still am.

But c'mon, they're going to shit can GHOSTBUSTERS 3? FUCKING, GHOSTBUSTERS 3?

GHOST BUSTERS, MOTHERFUCKING, THREE????

One should never cancel anything that has Bill Murry in it, LET ALONE, something that has Bill Murry in it, and is titled goddamn, GHOSTBUSTERS anything.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the dude probably has no clue who tim schafer is

creator of some of the best games of all time.

he's yet to make a bad game :/

Oh believe me, I know exactly who he is and what he's done for gaming.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=3317945#post3317945

Let's just say I'm not a fan.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    I originally came to this thread to rally for Brutal Legend's cause, which I still am.

But c'mon, they're going to shit can GHOSTBUSTERS 3? FUCKING, GHOSTBUSTERS 3?

GHOST BUSTERS, MOTHERFUCKING, THREE????

One should never cancel anything that has Bill Murry in it, LET ALONE, something that has Bill Murry in it, and is titled goddamn, GHOSTBUSTERS anything.

Dude, we're getting Ice Age games! Remember how awesome those movies weren't?

HtR-Laser on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TripKMA wrote: »
    Who... who ya gonna call now? :cry:

He-man!

Kelor on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

He-man!

I can picture it now; A dark, gritty, re-imagining of the He-Man universe in the style of, and from the director of 300.
    Fuck, I'd see it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

He-man!

I can picture it now; A dark, gritty, re-imagining of the He-Man universe in the style of, and from the director of 300.
    Fuck, I'd see it.

The Dolph Lundgren live action movie is one of my guilty pleasures.

Kelor on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure Ghostbusters is safe since it's being pretty much bankrolled by Akroyd and co.

FyreWulff on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

He-man!

Fuck, I'd see it.

The Dolph Lundgren live action movie is one of my guilty pleasures.

YES! Let this be our final BATTLE!

I liked Skeletor.

DarkWarrior on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This would explain the rumor the popped up in Game Informer last month that Tim Shafer was looking around for another publisher as he was unhappy with Activision.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will maim people if Brutal Legend gets canned.

I will murder people if Ghostbusters gets canned.

Lynx on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, a lot of this is bad, but I'd really hate to see Massive get destroyed in this. World in Conflict was the first RTS that I really got into since Warcraft III.

SteevL on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Thank you... thank you so... so much.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brutal Legend being canned would suck. I didn't like Psychonauts but I can't say I didn't look at the previews for Brutal Legend and smile.

And Ghostbusters would be a travesty if cancelled.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

He-man!

Fuck, I'd see it.

I'll pass.

I like He-Man, but 300 sucked.
    Oh believe me, I know exactly who he is and what he's done for gaming.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showt...45#post3317945

Let's just say I'm not a fan.

I never played Psychonauts, so I dunno. But Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango give that guy a lifetime pass...

... to my heart.

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    The Ghostbusters: The Video Game website now boasts an Activision logo in the top left corner.

MagicPrime on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Activision killing:
    Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Nobody can convince me this world is worth living in any more.
    If 50 cent's game survives this, and Ghostbusters doesn't....then there are no words left for me to say....D:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Activision killing:

If 50 cent's game survives this, and Ghostbusters doesn't....then there are no words left for me to say....D:

They'll be combined into one game where 50 cent blows up ghosts in the Middle East while Bill Murray provides recon support.

Ganluan on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, I hate to be happy when something is cancelled, but WET can die in a fire. It's derivative to the point of satire; I swear it could pass itself off as a Daikatana sequel if they changed the name.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I.... what?

From a business standpoint, this seems like a really, REALLY stupid decision by Activision. Ghostbusters and 50 Cent (much as we hate that one) are almost dead-certain to sell very well even if they turn out to be crap, and the other games have a decent shot (Jack Black in a rock-themed game after one of YOUR OWN PROPERTIES made rock cool again?). I could understand canning an unproven IP that isn't shaping up well, but this is goddamn ludicrous. It's as if they had a quota of people to cut or something.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GHOSTBUSTERS better not be cancelled! :shock:

*Edit* Oh, ok phew...so they say it's not...CRIPES that would have been one hell of a stupid move. (Hair pullingly stupid)

Scotty on
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really hope the Riddick game gets picked up; Escape from Butcher Bay was way better than expected and I could totally go for more of that (especially since the first one is not backwards-compatible on the 360).

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am relieved to hear that Ghosbusters should be safe, but I fear for Brutal Legend. I require more Tim Schafer in my life.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    stryker116 wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Activision killing:

They'll be combined into one game where 50 cent blows up ghosts in the Middle East while Bill Murray provides recon support.

50 Cent kills 'em all

The Ghostbusters sort 'em out

UnbreakableVow on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Phew!

I'm so glad that I'll be getting my Ice Age sequel. Best game ever.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really hope the Riddick game gets picked up; Escape from Butcher Bay was way better than expected and I could totally go for more of that (especially since the first one is not backwards-compatible on the 360).
    Well it's not like you would have got that much more anyway. It's a remake with some added levels.

-SPI- on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Well it's not like you would have got that much more anyway. It's a remake with some added levels.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the game is double the length now.

bloodyroarxx on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I.... what?

From a business standpoint, this seems like a really, REALLY stupid decision by EA. Ghostbusters and 50 Cent (much as we hate that one) are almost dead-certain to sell very well even if they turn out to be crap, and the other games have a decent shot (Jack Black in a rock-themed game after one of YOUR OWN PROPERTIES made rock cool again?). I could understand canning an unproven IP that isn't shaping up well, but this is goddamn ludicrous. It's as if they had a quota of people to cut or something.

Activision. A stupid decision by Activision.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sagroth wrote: »
    I am relieved to hear that Ghosbusters should be safe, but I fear for Brutal Legend. I require more Tim Schafer in my life.

It's not the first time he's needed a new publisher for one of his games. He'll get it all sorted :)

And it's nice to see Ghostbusters taken care of. It's understandable though that people would be worried. They completely killed their panel at Comicon at the last minute with no explanation, apparently. That's a shame too, because it was where they were supposed to go into a lot of detail about multiplayer.

Aoi on
    edited July 2008
    When something like that happens the knee-jerk reaction is to cancel any press-conferences or expos until everyone gets their stories straightened out. The panel people probably knew the game wasn't getting canceled but help off the panel on request of the PR department who for the most part cut off all contact when big things like this happen.

Atleast until they have time to formulate responses.

MagicPrime on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    143999 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I.... what?

From a business standpoint, this seems like a really, REALLY stupid decision by EA. Ghostbusters and 50 Cent (much as we hate that one) are almost dead-certain to sell very well even if they turn out to be crap, and the other games have a decent shot (Jack Black in a rock-themed game after one of YOUR OWN PROPERTIES made rock cool again?). I could understand canning an unproven IP that isn't shaping up well, but this is goddamn ludicrous. It's as if they had a quota of people to cut or something.

Activision. A stupid decision by Activision.

*smacks head*

Old habits die hard. I meant Activision.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Sagroth wrote: »

It's not the first time he's needed a new publisher for one of his games. He'll get it all sorted :)

And it's nice to see Ghostbusters taken care of. It's understandable though that people would be worried. They completely killed their panel at Comicon at the last minute with no explanation, apparently. That's a shame too, because it was where they were supposed to go into a lot of detail about multiplayer.

I'm afraid to admit that Ghostbusters concerned me more until I was reassured that it wasn't dead. I mean, the game is like a love letter to my childhood.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800