As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Pineapple Express

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall was extremely hilarious. Dunno where it was "misogynistic" or "sadistic"...

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall was extremely hilarious. Dunno where it was "misogynistic" or "sadistic"...

The entire movie basically focused on the failings of Sarah and how she was a terrible vapid slutty whore. Sarah got about 5-10 seconds to give her criticisms of the guy and the rest of the entire movie was about how terrible of a person sarah was.

that sad I enjoyed the movie thoroughly

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    I don't think Forgetting Sarah Marshall was misogynistic. Hell, I thought they went out of their way to show that Sarah was actually a real person and not some crazy bitch that deserved every bad thing that ever happened to her.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The entire movie basically focused on the failings of Sarah and how she was a terrible vapid slutty whore. Sarah got about 5-10 seconds to give her criticisms of the guy and the rest of the entire movie was about how terrible of a person sarah was.

Just because Sarah was a terrible girlfriend doesn't really make the movie misogynistic. Heaven forbid the woman be the source of all the crap in a relationship

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008

Just because Sarah was a terrible girlfriend doesn't really make the movie misogynistic. Heaven forbid the woman be the source of all the crap in a relationship

It's not like they didn't show that she had fairly solid reasons for breaking up with him either

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Right, he was a lazy bastard who didn't really care about her needs and just sat around all day. I think that they actually portrayed the way a real relationship would function...one person gets comfortable and just stops caring, the other feels bored and unfulfilled so they find someone else. The roles could have easily been reversed in this movie...I liked it because of how real the reasons were, especially because Jason Segal based this on a lot of things he experienced in life. I don't find it misogynist at all...I find it realistic, with a bit of crazy humor sprinkled on top.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The part about her being humiliated by her new boyfriend, attempting to reconcile with her ex in a moment of vulnerability only to be rejected, and finding out she has an STD, all while watching her career go down the tubes to the point where she has to take the lead in a show about an animal psychic, is what I was referring to when I said the film was misogynistic.

Considering the premise of the film is supposed to be about getting over your ex, seeing the ex herself receive a punishment 100 times worse than anything she did seemed both cruel and unnecessary.

Never mind the double standard shown in the film's treatment of Sarah's new boyfriend.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The part about her being humiliated by her new boyfriend, attempting to reconcile with her ex in a moment of vulnerability only to be rejected, and finding out she has an STD, all while watching her career go down the tubes to the point where she has to take the lead in a show about an animal psych, is what I was referring to when I said the film was misogynistic.

I've not seen the movie so I admit I could 100% be wrong but if this all happened to a dude I wouldn't say it was sexist against men. I mean, bad things can happen to female characters.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    The part about her being humiliated by her new boyfriend, attempting to reconcile with her ex in a moment of vulnerability only to be rejected, and finding out she has an STD, all while watching her career go down the tubes to the point where she has to take the lead in a show about an animal psych, is what I was referring to when I said the film was misogynistic.

I've not seen the movie so I admit I could 100% be wrong but if this all happened to a dude I wouldn't say it was sexist against men. I mean, bad things can happen to female characters.

I was literally about to type the same thing. Whats wrong with sometimes portraying the female as someone who screwed up? I can assure you, in all my years of dating, I've been physically FORCED to watch movies where men are always the fuckup and I have never screamed about it being based in misandry.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's sexist because, when all of these things happen to her, we're supposed to laugh and say, "Well, she had it coming." There's no sympathy for the character at all, even though cheating hardly warrants a punishment that grave.

And like my edited post says, there's a male character who cheats on Sarah without remorse or concern for her feelings or the impact his actions have on others, and nothing bad happens to him at all. Sure he's a bit of a dog, but he's funny and charming, so even the boy who had his girlfriend stolen by this man can't help but like him.

It's ridiculous.

Anyway, to clarify, I'm not saying the film is sexist and misogynistic because it portrays a female character as a cheater. Rather, I'm saying the film is sexist and misogynistic because we're supposed to delight in the cruel humiliation of a female character for cheating while, at the exact same time, laughing at the antics of a male cheater whose own sexual escapades far outnumber hers in terms of disrespect for a partner and general thoughtlessness.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    alright I see where you're coming from then. I don't know if I agree, or how strongly, but I definitely see your point.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I thought that most people understood that Aldus Snow was a douchebag though? Sure he provided fantastic comedic relief, but its not like people are looking up to him as a role model. You watch him on screen and you laugh at his idiocy while firmly planting your face in the palm of your hand.

I still think some parts of this movie are being taken more serious than they were intended to be.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    alright I see where you're coming from then. I don't know if I agree, or how strongly, but I definitely see your point.

Well yeah, I wouldn't expect you to commit to agreeing or disagreeing without seeing the film yourself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Toefoo wrote: »
    I thought that most people understood that Aldus Snow was a douchebag though? Sure he provided fantastic comedic relief, but its not like people are looking up to him as a role model. You watch him on screen and you laugh at his idiocy while firmly planting your face in the palm of your hand.

I still think some parts of this movie are being taken more serious than they were intended to be.

It's hard not to take the scenes seriously when they reduce the character to tears. I mean, when she's crying, are we still supposed to think it's funny? How about when the stress and sadness of seeing her career and new relationship crumble reduces her to trying to suck off her ex in a desperate attempt to bring something good back into her life, only to be rejected and left completely alone?

Maybe it's just me, but I think it stops being lighthearted when someone's life is, for all intents and purposes, ruined as part of some writer's juvenile and vindictive conception of karma.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I guess we should just agree to disagree. I honestly was not offended by the film at all... and just took it for what it is: hilarious. Nevermind which gender gets the brunt of the negativity in the film... I don't really focus on that when I watch movies >_>

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Toefoo wrote: »

It's hard not to take the scenes seriously when they reduce the character to tears. I mean, when she's crying, are we still supposed to think it's funny? How about when the stress and sadness of seeing her career and new relationship crumble reduces her to trying to suck off her ex in a desperate attempt to bring something good back into her life and he rejects her?

Maybe it's just me, but I think it stops being lighthearted when someone's life is, for all intents and purposes, ruined as part of some writer's juvenile and vindictive conception of karma.

I don't necessarily think it was supposed to be presented as karma or vindication. You know deep down that Jason's character still feels strongly for Sarah. But he's overwhelmed with hurt for what she did, so he just moves on and tries to be with Mila Kunis. In all honesty, I loved Kristen Bell in this movie, and I think the movie was really trying to show you that things happen in relationships that you don't plan for and that you don't expect. Both of them did each other wrong...one was lazy and unreceptive to the other, while the other felt the need to just find someone else to fill the void. Both made mistakes.

I still see this as just a comedy about two people who loved each other but both equally made entirely stupid decisions, which is how most relationships end up. I do agree that Sarah should have received more closure in the movie as to where she ends up, but at least its hinted that she's still working...I mean she's doing a detective show with Jason Bateman :lol:

I totally understand where you're going with it, but I just disagree about the sexism. Thats the beauty of movies though; they're left up to interpretation.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    What the fuck is with all the spoilers?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That NPR interview is amazing.
    I am super excited for this, it looks even better than Step Brothers and Superbad, and I nearly cried in both of those.
    Trailer!
    In case you've not seen it.
    6212_large.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I love James Franco when he gets to be funny. Freaks and Geeks was the best.

That's what I'm looking forward to in this one. Apatow and Franco on the big screen.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Linking this here so I don't lose it

http://i35.tinypic.com/wgzub9.jpg

Medopine on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I can't wait to see how this ends.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I can't wait to see how this ends.

Bunnies and AK-47s. And pot.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Personally I love how you can see the harness through his pants

And also how he majestically floats through the air

Medopine on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Apatow is involved, but more importantly this movie has the exact same writing team that did Superbad. In fact, it's the writers' first movie since Superbad.

I'm looking forward to it. LOTS.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No one else saw this yet?

It was great. I'm not a huge Apatow fan, and I like Seth Rogen generally but I wasn't really into Superbad or Knocked Up but this movie was damn good. It had a lot less fat on it than those movies, it was as funny as any comedy I've seen in theatres maybe ever, and the action was actually entertaining.

I'm glad I saw Rogen on the daily show calling it an action movie because I hadn't picked up on the fact that there was that much action. But going in knowing that made me enjoy the movie a lot more. It's almost (almost... but not quite) an action spoof (not spoof like Naked Gun, spoof like Hot Fuzz). I wouldn't say it goes all the way with that but it comes close.

also (not real plot spoiler, it was in the old 5 minute clip that came out but I am spoiling just in case)
    when Rogen hits the cross joint and blows smoke out and then quickly sucks it back in the entire audience applauded. It was quite an experience. I think they were bummed by Franco's hit right before it.

Variable on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No one else saw this yet?

It was great. I'm not a huge Apatow fan, and I like Seth Rogen generally but I wasn't really into Superbad or Knocked Up but this movie was damn good. It had a lot less fat on it than those movies, it was as funny as any comedy I've seen in theatres maybe ever, and the action was actually entertaining.

I'm glad I saw Rogen on the daily show calling it an action movie because I hadn't picked up on the fact that there was that much action. But going in knowing that made me enjoy the movie a lot more. It's almost (almost... but not quite) an action spoof (not spoof like Naked Gun, spoof like Hot Fuzz). I wouldn't say it goes all the way with that but it comes close.

also (not real plot spoiler, it was in the old 5 minute clip that came out but I am spoiling just in case)
    when Rogen hits the cross joint and blows smoke out and then quickly sucks it back in the entire audience applauded. It was quite an experience. I think they were bummed by Franco's hit right before it.

I just got back from seeing it with cel. Hilarious. The way they portray stoner conversations was spot on.

re: your spoiler -- Dude, tell me about it. It was impressive.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It really was.

It really really was.

Variable on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After watching Knocked Up I'm uncomfortable at the sight of Seth Rogen as much as the chick in the movie the morning after they meet.

variant on
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i actually thought this movie was way mediocre. the jokes just fell flat and werent that funny overall. and the action? it was meh. another case of the trailer being better then the movie.

i went home and rewatched superbad, which i still think is great.

pineapple express was an alright movie but dissapointing considering everyone who was involved.

ufo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I 100% disagree :D. I think it is the first movie they've done that I actually want to watch a second time.

Variable on
  • Options
    ufoufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    personally i think superbad, knocked up, and forgetting sarah marshall were leaps and bounds funnier then this movie. i mean dont get me wrong its an alright movie however compared to those its just well not that good.

i dont know about you but at my theatre which was packed and sold out the laughter just wasnt really constant. i mean when theres a comedy and there isnt a part on opening night that the whole theatre is laughing so hard that you cant hear the next lines, well its not the best sign.

ufo on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So Newsweek had an awesome little article that basically said "WARNING: THIS IS A STONED-MAN FILM IT IS NOT AN ACTION FILM IT IS ABOUT DRUGS!"

Thanks, Newsweek! I really dodged a bullet there!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So Newsweek had an awesome little article that basically said "WARNING: THIS IS A STONED-MAN FILM IT IS NOT AN ACTION FILM IT IS ABOUT DRUGS!"

Thanks, Newsweek! I really dodged a bullet there!
    Heh, "don't go into this movie thinking it's an innocent story about people getting shot and blown up, it also contains offensive content such as drugs"

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god, one of the smaller scenes did it for me.
    When they wake up and the car battery's dead.

"The battery's dead."

"What do you mean, dead."

Mainly, the joke was sold by Franco's serious face.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This movie was fucking hilarious. Saw it in advance with a bunch of teenage/college kids who were all high or drunk out of their minds. Great movie. Also helps that in some ways Saul and Dale are like how me and my close friend Austin are.

We don't smoke, though :P

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ufo wrote: »
    personally i think superbad, knocked up, and forgetting sarah marshall were leaps and bounds funnier then this movie. i mean dont get me wrong its an alright movie however compared to those its just well not that good.

i dont know about you but at my theatre which was packed and sold out the laughter just wasnt really constant. i mean when theres a comedy and there isnt a part on opening night that the whole theatre is laughing so hard that you cant hear the next lines, well its not the best sign.

well I'm sure that happened enough in my theater to make up for yours.

Variable on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who knows I might just be insane but I HATED this movie. I saw it last night after hearing awesome reviews everywhere and the trailer looked pretty funny. Honestly the only thing I chuckled at was the
    Fuck the police.
    part.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Seth Rogan and his crew but this one was a def miss for me. Everyone else in the theatre sure seemed to piss their pants to it though. Maybe its the fact that I don't smoke, who knows really. I read here in this thread a lot of people who don't smoke and still loved it so I doubt thats it. I heard a guy coming out of the theatre say "I think they actually want you to smoke a joint before seeing this movie to make it funnier..." Apparently he didn't like it much either.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was underwhelmed, tbh.

Still a great movie, but a bit uneven at times I thought, and not as hilarious as I'd wished.

Franco was pretty fucking genius though.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I also think a lot of the gems were in the previews, which kinda sucked

Medopine on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    IS this movie like rah rah weed weed we're high it's funny?

Because that isn't funny.

Duki on