As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's no way he's straight, he's in De[chat] Mode!

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    Fighting games reached their pinnacle somewhere around Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Unless they make an MvC3.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fighting games are kind of a silly genre in general

Elendil on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Why was the AmPol thread locked and unlocked?
    Because I split off three pages of off-topic crap from it, and I didn't want anyone posting more off-topic crap while I was doing it.

Thank Christ. It's tiresome how people drag their personal issue of the weak bullshit in there.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Fighting games are kind of a silly genre in general
    You're a silly genre

Bama on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Will, I may be going to Boston in the next few weeks. I'm supposed to punch you in the cock.

come down to NYC for a bit and drag him with you

I'm going to feel bad when I say to my friend that I'm going up there to visit him and hang out and drink lots of craft beer, but then I leave to meet people I know from the internet.

at least you know where your priorities lie

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Will, I may be going to Boston in the next few weeks. I'm supposed to punch you in the cock.

Sweet. It's literally been days since I've had my donger bruised.

Srsly though if you're around drop me a line and we'll get lunch or something. Most of the rest of the Boston crowd is probably at school or something, but I might be able to round up a few.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    Fighting games reached their pinnacle somewhere around Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Unless they make an MvC3.

Sadly, that's rather unlikely.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MikeMan, I am angry at you for making me infract you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MVC2 and Smash Brothers Melee are the two pinnacles of fighting games.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

I'm going to feel bad when I say to my friend that I'm going up there to visit him and hang out and drink lots of craft beer, but then I leave to meet people I know from the internet.

bring him with you.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    And just to beat everyone to the punch:

I've been so fetch all week.

Fixed.

:)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I am sad. I had a flawless record and fucked it up by forgetting the report button.

Oh well.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

Srsly though if you're around drop me a line and we'll get lunch or something. Most of the rest of the Boston crowd is probably at school or something, but I might be able to round up a few.

Yeah, are you EVER coming to NYC?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    So I used to play SoulCal on the DreamCast a whole lot with my then-roommate. I just bought SoulCal 4 for the 360, and while it's a much fuller and better-polished game than the original, I've been feeling like I'm kind of forcing myself to play it and trying to enjoy it. I guess issue one is that playing against the AI in a fighting game just isn't as much fun - I don't have the reflexes to respond to their moves in time, it's not really possible to guess their attack patterns, and the AI seemingly has no ability to respond to me spamming the same attack pattern over and over.

Also, maybe fighting games feel a little anachronistic anymore. I mean, for a while around 2000, every other game was a fighting game, but today it just feels kind of disjointed and facile. Also, I know that the story in SoulCal has always been nonsensical, but now it just feels puerile. I think I'm requiring more out of a game these days.

Maybe I'd like it better if I had someone to play against.

Yeah that's why I don't pick up fighting games anymore, I mean they just aren't my bag and playing online is not the same.

Maybe I'll try to get some PA people who have the game to play against me. Really in order for fighting games to be any fun, you really need to have regular opponents, and Frankie won't touch it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

I am sad. I had a flawless record and fucked it up by forgetting the report button.

Oh well.

Snitches get stitches...and infractions.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Frankie won't touch it.
    This really ruins a lot of otherwise fun activities.

Bama on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

bring him with you.

"I know these people from this forum I frequent. They're all really cool, I promise. They won't kill us or anything."

That's exaggeration, but I really don't see anything like that going over with this guy. Kind of a homebody. Homebody that can cook like a motherfucker, though.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He didn't make you do anything

Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you have to mod

Just look at Will

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You didn't even get a yellow card warm up, right to the point infraction. I always wonder if a mod likes someone they are infracting do they get a twinge of "Baby why you gotta make me hit you?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If by pinnacle you mean horribly unbalanced, yes. :P

Seriously, I love MvC2, but as a technical fighting game it is awful. At high levels everything turns into projectile spam between the same four characters until someone dies of block damage. Melee probably never would have had a compeditive scene if it didnt have Nintendo fandom giving it a boost due to balance issues.

SC1 is still my favorite fighter. Well, actually, Power Stone 2 is but a lot of people probably wouldn't call that a fighter.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yeah, are you EVER coming to NYC?

I was hoping to go in Aug, but my company is sending me to Greenland, so it kind of puts a crimp in it. I imagine I'll be coming down sometime this year, since I have several weeks worth of vacation I need to burn before the end of the year.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Oh well.

You fucked it up by posting.
    As your post count increases, the probability of getting an infraction approaches 1.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Oh well.

As your post count increases, the probability of getting an infraction approaches 1.

That's true.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Seriously, I love MvC2, but as a technical fighting game it is awful. At high levels everything turns into projectile spam between the same four characters until someone dies of block damage. Melee probably never would have had a compeditive scene if it didnt have Nintendo fandom giving it a boost due to balance issues.

SC1 is still my favorite fighter. Well, actually, Power Stone 2 is but a lot of people probably wouldn't call that a fighter.

Well I never played MVC2 at as high a level, but Melee was probably one of the most balanced fighters ever. And that's saying a lot.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Character balance be damned, Tekken Tag Tournament was a damn fine fighter.

and yea, the Power Stone games were all sorts of fun.

Bama on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »

I used to play Tekken Tag Tournament with one hand.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited August 2008
    lunch time!!!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    With my left hand.

(I am not left-handed.)

Feral on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I really didn't care for smash brothers.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

bring him with you.

"I know these people from this forum I frequent. They're all really cool, I promise. They won't kill us or anything."

That's exaggeration, but I really don't see anything like that going over with this guy. Kind of a homebody. Homebody that can cook like a motherfucker, though.

Most of the PA people I've met are pretty personable and not too strange. It's always kind of a crapshoot with internet folks whether you're going to get a borderline Aspergers case, but so far I've had pretty good luck with it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »

The Tekken series was my least favorite fighter. It was all memorization of super-long combos with precise timing, and I hate that shit. Fighting games should be about strategy, prediction and reaction IMO, and Tekken just devolved to practicing mega-combos.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well I never played MVC2 at as high a level, but Melee was probably one of the most balanced fighters ever. And that's saying a lot.

Sheik and Marth are fucking brutal compared to everyone else no matter what your level. Fox and Falco only become as good once you're able to gimpkill with the shine. Then you have, say, Pichu, Yoshi, Samus, and Bowser on the other end. Melee was dominated by one thing: speed.

Brawl may not be as technically deep (aka glitchy), but at least they balanced it out.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Samurai Showdown was always fun

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mike got infracted?

hilarious!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

bring him with you.

Most of the PA people I've met are pretty personable and not too strange. It's always kind of a crapshoot with internet folks whether you're going to get a borderline Aspergers case, but so far I've had pretty good luck with it.

Hopefully I wasn't too strange at the time.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That was a weak infraction.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Oh well.

Just shy of 24000 and still going strong

Whooooo

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anytime people talk about smash brothers in a serious hard core term, God kills a nerdy chick. Think of the nerdy chicks you lonely wall humping bastards!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Greenland, Will? What is there? Even all the old military bases are gone, right?

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.