As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games Thread

• Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would argue that you are missing out. It is a hoot. I'd totally be down for some Catan, but I don't have a board either. I'll see if my friend will bring his.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am totally down for some Mechaton again this year, and I have been wanting to play Paranoia for YEARS, so I'd love to get in on that.

I also have Zombies!!! 1, 2, two copies of 3, and 5. Zombies!!! (the exclamation points are part of the name!) is fun, quite easy to pick up, and if you limit the sets you use, can even be a fairly fast game. Plus, you kill zombies in it! I'm willing to bring my sets along and play some games if there's any interest.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    bbqninjabbqninja Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never really played a table top game before I might try to play some if there are patient groups for a first timer with alot of questions to ask

bbqninja on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I also have Zombies!!! 1, 2, two copies of 3, and 5. Zombies!!! (the exclamation points are part of the name!) is fun, quite easy to pick up, and if you limit the sets you use, can even be a fairly fast game. Plus, you kill zombies in it! I'm willing to bring my sets along and play some games if there's any interest.

...You my friend... you have become my new best friend.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    wtnukewtnuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am totally down for some Mechaton again this year, and I have been wanting to play Paranoia for YEARS, so I'd love to get in on that.

Killing zombies sounds like something I could get into.

wtnuke on
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would be interested in Paranoia and I'd drag my friend into it. How long does it typically last? The last time I did an RPG was 8 years ago with D&D but I've been itching to play again. Is Paranoia noob friendly?

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Put me downne for Munchkins; I may have the Superhero set by PAX. Zombies!!!! sounds like fun, too so I'll have one of those also, please. I saw a pic from last years PAX, and it was of a table with tons of games stacked on it, like Munchkin and Settlers, so as to prevent the moment when you walk into hte room and realize the extra $80 you paid for an overweight bag was all for nought.

I haven't heard anything about D&D 3.5. That's what I'm playing right now, but my once a week fix is just barely satisfying my appetite. How easy would it be to sit down and play 4e, only having played 3.5?

This question applies to all the tabletop RPGs; are there going to be pre-gen chars or are we expected to bring our own? KKKSHAW! Oh, man, I just had a brain ninja! What if there was a section devoted strictly to making characters for all the different games? It could be headed up by some veteran players (people who have the rulebooks almost memorized) who would sort of streamline all the stat generation, and give guidance on the other stuff (alignment, race, etc).

Aliasunknown on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    teopeht wrote: »
    I would be interested in Paranoia and I'd drag my friend into it. How long does it typically last? The last time I did an RPG was 8 years ago with D&D but I've been itching to play again. Is Paranoia noob friendly?

Paranoia is beyond noob friendly. In fact it is not allowed for the players to know the rules. Or if by some chance they do know the rules, they cannot express any knowledge of said rules. Knowledge of the rules by the player is treason and will likely result in the death of the character.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ape2020 wrote: »
    Well I'm meeting up with 2-3 other people to play a miniature game Anima: Tactics.
    Anima: Tactics is a skirmish miniature wargame set in the world of Gaia, created for the Anima: Beyond Fantasy role playing game that has been a major hit in Spain. Anima: Tactics is a fusion of East meets West with Japanese video game style art, honor, and mysticism combined with Medieval arms and magic.

Anima: Tactics is a no-holds barred skirmish combat game that pits heroic characters against each other in the struggle between Light and Dark. In this gritty battle, alliances change and heroes must struggle with their own souls to decide which side of the line they stand on. Draw the line and throw down the Gauntlet. Conquer your foe by utilizing your characters special powers in devastating combos.

Get into the game with a Light or Dark starter game that includes 2 characters, rules, dice, character and asset cards, action counters and more. Increase your force and tactical flexibility with heroic character blisters from the light, Dark, or Neutral factions. Each Blister pack contains a highly detailed metal miniature, a character card, advantage card, and all the action counters and spell counters you need.

This game will be demoed by Cipher Studios at the Fantasy Flight Games booth. We fans will run some scenarios to play that can include multiple groups on Saturday about noon. We would welcome all to play and will bring at least two terrain boards to play on. Maybe if we can generate enough interest we can get a little tourney going. Its a very easy game and here are some of the figures painted to give you an idea of the models.

Character Figure Shots.

Official site were you can download the rules.

Okay thats enough pimping I hope to see many gamers try it out.

-ape2020

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get a small tourney together as I'm planning on running an official tourney for it. Sign-ups will be available in the Tabletop HQ.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    majin23x wrote: »

Paranoia is beyond noob friendly. In fact it is not allowed for the players to know the rules. Or if by some chance they do know the rules, they cannot express any knowledge of said rules. Knowledge of the rules by the player is treason and will likely result in the death of the character.

The more I read about Paranoia the more I want to play it. And apparently be executed by a computer?

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    majin23x wrote: »

The more I read about Paranoia the more I want to play it. And apparently be executed by a computer?

When I run Paranoia, it's kind of like Calvinball. How amusing the player can be is about 10x more important than the "rules" which I basically pull straight out of my ass.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I would be interested for any sort of eurogame but I really have no idea how much time I want to spend walking over to see if maybe I can find a game and then walking back if I can't repeat.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indeed, yes it is noob friendly. Keep in mind, though: I might suck as a GM, especially at first. There are guidelines I will try to follow which should prevent most mistakes that detract from the fun.

This game requires a LOT of secret passing of notes. (Does DS Pictochat let you send private messages? Maybe we can use that for note passing. Or if there are only four players, each player takes one of the four Pictochat rooms and I bounce between rooms.) Some of these notes may say "this is a fake message. Pretend I said something insightful, write something brief on the bottom of the note, and pass it back to me."

There is indeed a combat system and die rolls and all. If I award you "points" (little Wal Mart poker chips probably) you can redeem those for +1 die roll modifiers per token. So if your one-in-a-million surprise betrayal of another character NEEDS to succeed, you can spend all your points on that die roll. Note that I may choose to ignore the die roll and do whatever sounds the most fun for everyone, so if you spend all your points and then my secret die roll is a 1, you might succeed anyway.

This game even has a combat system for Phoenix-Wright-esque treason accusations between players, so if an accusation makes sense I roll for 'treason damage' and the receiving player's punishment could vary, up to and including immediate execution by the computer. Some (wiser) GM's don't use this system, but I'm a newbie GM so I need every crutch I can get. :-P

Essentially the world of Paranoia is a super-flawed "perfect society." In theory the Computer's eyes and ears are everywhere, every citizen will turn you in, and everything is run efficiently and lawfully. In practice the Computer doesn't really have resources to observe everything at once, but likes to pretend it does. CPU time is limited. Backup tapes get lost. Departments are also flawed: as in the real world there are silos of power, and people aren't as efficient as they should be. Paperwork gets lost. Equipment orders get filled incorrectly. Oops, you were accidentally issued a TacNuke shell for your mortar, and nobody knows the difference until you fire it. Experimental equipment is designed by committee and implemented poorly. Your cutting edge device worth millions of credits might be nearly useless, or might be superpowered and unbalancing and prone to explosive malfunction.

In case nobody saw it back when I posted it, I copied the "choose your own adventure" introduction thing from the rulebook and put it in a post: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2278972#post2278972 It will help if you have a D20 and a small piece of paper to write a few letter codes on, but I've scrambled the success and failure roll numbers so you can just pick a number in your head and it'll work. (So 1 through 6 might be failure, but those numbers randomly map to 8, 12, 15, 16, 18, and 20.) So in fact you can do the whole thing with nothing but your mouse and web browser. This might give you a better idea of what Paranoia is like, theme-wise.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Ape2020Ape2020 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PucSpifo wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get a small tourney together as I'm planning on running an official tourney for it. Sign-ups will be available in the Tabletop HQ.

Well if you can please info me of time and rules as I'm reporting everything back to the Anima: Tactics forums.

Hell I've meet the Ciphers Studio people when I got them to come to Sakura Con. I didn't have much time to play myself since I was the miniature gaming coordinator but I was amazed how well received this game was. We were able to run a nice little newbie tourney with about 10 people.

-ape2020

Ape2020 on
    Where are the DEMONS???
    Bring on the PAIN!!!
  • Options
    wtnukewtnuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Put me downne for Munchkins; I may have the Superhero set by PAX. Zombies!!!! sounds like fun, too so I'll have one of those also, please. I saw a pic from last years PAX, and it was of a table with tons of games stacked on it, like Munchkin and Settlers, so as to prevent the moment when you walk into hte room and realize the extra $80 you paid for an overweight bag was all for nought.

I haven't heard anything about D&D 3.5. That's what I'm playing right now, but my once a week fix is just barely satisfying my appetite. How easy would it be to sit down and play 4e, only having played 3.5?

This question applies to all the tabletop RPGs; are there going to be pre-gen chars or are we expected to bring our own? KKKSHAW! Oh, man, I just had a brain ninja! What if there was a section devoted strictly to making characters for all the different games? It could be headed up by some veteran players (people who have the rulebooks almost memorized) who would sort of streamline all the stat generation, and give guidance on the other stuff (alignment, race, etc).

4e takes some getting used to, but it's much more tactical and really focuses a lot on the battles. It's really a pretty different game from 3.5, but a lot of the changes are good things. The powers system is pretty interesting overall, as well as the reshuffling of classes and races. Do you live locally here in Seattle? I'm really interested in getting with a group to play 3.5 or 4e once or twice weekly. I could DM if necessary, although I'm not particularly good at it (to be fair, I've not done much of it). Either way, I'd be more than happy to show you the books and talk to you about how the game is run if you want, either in person or via e-mail (amm371@gmail.com). My name's Aaron.

wtnuke on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    I will be running Mechaton games for any interested parties, time TBD. Mechaton is a lego wargame played like a very simple version of Warhammer. The rules can be picked up in a minute flat, and you play with units that lose pieces as they take damage, trying to control vital points on the battlefield. It really is tons of fun, so come on by. I will bring a couple armies, but you're more than welcome to show off your own creations. Try to build them roughly to this scale:
    showymechwq8.jpg
    mechatonarmyus9.jpg
    quadmechlegotw0.jpg

You need about 4 mechs per player (it's a small scale game).

I'm completely sold and will be purchasing the rules book later tonight. I have a fuckton of legos and all I've ever seemed to build with them were mechs. That and it doesn't sound like I will have to carry much with me for this. Seems like a perfect choice.

redhalo on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    I will be running Mechaton games for any interested parties, time TBD. Mechaton is a lego wargame played like a very simple version of Warhammer. The rules can be picked up in a minute flat, and you play with units that lose pieces as they take damage, trying to control vital points on the battlefield. It really is tons of fun, so come on by. I will bring a couple armies, but you're more than welcome to show off your own creations. Try to build them roughly to this scale:
    showymechwq8.jpg
    mechatonarmyus9.jpg
    quadmechlegotw0.jpg

I'm completely sold and will be purchasing the rules book later tonight. I have a fuckton of legos and all I've ever seemed to build with them were mechs. That and it doesn't sound like I will have to carry much with me for this. Seems like a perfect choice.

As the father of 3 sons, I have about 200 litres of lego to build with (I wish I was making that up). I'm down.

We played something like this when I was a kid, but it involved breaking off pieces of your unit to throw at the enemy units in an attempt to detroy them. The 2x4 standard bricks worked best IIRC. I don't think this would be too PAX friendly :lol:

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Chess.

Yes, I said chess. There needs to be a chess set at tabletop.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You should try checking out some of the RPGA events being run at PAX. It's a great way to get introduced to 4th Edition.

Canticle on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The Derm wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »
    showymechwq8.jpg
    mechatonarmyus9.jpg
    quadmechlegotw0.jpg

As the father of 3 sons, I have about 200 litres of lego to build with (I wish I was making that up). I'm down.

We played something like this when I was a kid, but it involved breaking off pieces of your unit to throw at the enemy units in an attempt to detroy them. The 2x4 standard bricks worked best IIRC. I don't think this would be too PAX friendly :lol:

That's a related game often played after your third consecutive failure to get a single die over 2.
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Chess.

I know just the set. (NSFW)

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    Johnny5Johnny5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bored at work surfing the net and came across this. Thought others might be interested in this info.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/db48

Johnny5 on
  • Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chess.

I could be down for some chess. Not the best at it, but not nearly the worst either.

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    ShadowMattShadowMatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Catan is one of my absolute favs... I've never played the electronic version.

I'll be there! We should make a huge Catan WORLD and play!

ShadowMatt on
    tick.jpg
    Goodbye, plucky, pimply teen. I think you're ready now to hear the truth. This wasn't really a magic hubcap. The magic was inside you all along.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So heads up everyone, tournaments have been announced:

Tournament schedule

Also, chess will be available.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They have Starcraft on the tabletop games tournament. What crucial piece of information am I lacking that causes that to make no sense to me?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    They have Starcraft on the tabletop games tournament. What crucial piece of information am I lacking that causes that to make no sense to me?

There is a fantastic Starcraft board game by Fantasy Flight Games. They released it last year at GenCon and we held the first ever SC BG tournament at PAX.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    SentosSentos Rainbow Afro United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man Paranoia sounds very fun, and since i'm pretty much a noob at most table top games there is even more incentive.

Count me in, at least if my schedule can fit in a game.

Sentos on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not that it's nearly as deep as any of the other games listed in here, but I'll be carrying at least one Fluxx variant with me for the duration of the con, if not more, and will probably bring that out in the tabletop area (if not elsewhere). That's a good quick game, right?

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I try to remember to bring along Chrononauts

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not that it's nearly as deep as any of the other games listed in here, but I'll be carrying at least one Fluxx variant with me for the duration of the con, if not more, and will probably bring that out in the tabletop area (if not elsewhere). That's a good quick game, right?

I will have zombie fluxx on me. Brains will be eaten.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SentosSentos Rainbow Afro United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

...You my friend... you have become my new best friend.

hmm... after looking up a little on this game. I'm feeling like i want to spend some time in a zombie apocalypse. I'm in, of course if i can fit in a game.

Sentos on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mspencer, i will follow you to the ends of the earth to play paranoia, just know that

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Since I've posted a few wordy Paranoia posts and haven't been roasted for them yet, should I go to Dice and Men and make a Paranoia thread there, and post player primers and other walls of text there?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    It's not Dice and Men anymore, it's Critical Failures

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    For everyone looking at Zombies!!!, we are holding a tournament, Friday night, Tabletop tournament room 3, 2000-conclusion. Sign ups will be available in TT.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been painting Mordheim figures for the past few days, and by the time the expo rolls around I should have everything we'll need for 4 complete warbands, including terrain. I haven't painted like this in a long time, it's awesome.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    Since I've posted a few wordy Paranoia posts and haven't been roasted for them yet, should I go to Dice and Men and make a Paranoia thread there, and post player primers and other walls of text there?
    It's not Dice and Men anymore, it's Critical Failures

That's a yes.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, I'll admit following my previous post... I'm bringing a pile of Looney Labs games. My gamebag typically has at least two flavors of Fluxx, both versions of Chrononauts, all 11 colors of Icehouse pieces, a Volcano board, a bunch of various other small games that fit into it... Basically, I come *prepared*.

I may also be bringing an Avalon Hill-version RoboRally augmented with complete boardsets from the Garfield Games version and from Armed and Dangerous, if I can stuff it in my suitcase.

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, I'll admit following my previous post... I'm bringing a pile of Looney Labs games. My gamebag typically has at least two flavors of Fluxx, both versions of Chrononauts, all 11 colors of Icehouse pieces, a Volcano board, a bunch of various other small games that fit into it... Basically, I come *prepared*.

I may also be bringing an Avalon Hill-version RoboRally augmented with complete boardsets from the Garfield Games version and from Armed and Dangerous, if I can stuff it in my suitcase.

freakin' sweet. I haven't played RoboRally in years.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There is also a RoboRally tournament at PAX, so come and sign up for that :)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
This discussion has been closed.