As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BF tournament results

uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
Anyone here know the results from the BF2 tourney this year?

As a part of the winning teams from both previous PAXes I am understandably curious.

uc4life on

• Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Heya Doc, Stormy here.

I'll lay this on you straight, we came in second. Things weren't right, though.

For some reason, the tournament ran for 7 hours (15 teams... we didn't get the bye, but whatever, we rolled through our first two rounds). As a result of the delays, when we played the final two rounds we got pushed to lesser computers that couldn't run the game properly.

Actually, when I say 'we', I mean Team Fucking Huge. The other teams we were playing against in the final two rounds got to continue to use the 'good' computers for some inexplicable reason. The AMD machines we were using would drop us over and over if a certain number of us were all on at once -- 6+ (or so we thought at the time).

X, Potter (year 1 huge Potter) and I elected to go to the other side of the room and play on our BYOC rigs for the Semifinal round, which was dicey since Voice comm wasn't working all day and I was playing Commander. Not a good situation. Then the brilliant tournament organizers pulled a map out of their ass that wasn't on the maplist that was handed out beforehand -- Sharqi Peninsula.

Finally, a stroke of luck: Sharqi is likely my best map, and I proved it in the armor by going 37-2. The rest of our guys kept having problems dropping out during the round, but 5 or 6 of us were able to stay online and cap the flags. The other team continually threw themselves underneath the Stormy bus and I ended up having the game of my life in the process, sending us to the final.

The tournament organizers wouldn't let us switch back to the working computers after that debacle. We weren't happy about playing another round against a team had a huge advantage - by simply being able to play the fucking game.

Potter and I posted up down on our BYOCs. The other team won the toss and chose (another non-announced tournament map) DaQing Oil Fields. Wally decided to risk it back down with the other 5 guys on the shitty AMD rigs, since he was trying to be a squad leader. This turned out to be a pretty bad deal in the end, as he ended up having his computer reboot 6 times, and was effectively out of the match. We were doing extremely well in the final round, though: we had the refinery and the middle base, both helicopters, ahead by 35 points, and the Chinese back on their heels in their own base, yours truly commanding and doing my 'tank whispering' thing, killing lots of soft targets. Everything looked good, even with 7 guys.

Then we really started having problems: Gnawl's rig crashed - and so did the helicopter (with Monkey in it), so we lost our helicopter crew, and the other side ended up grabbing ours for the rest of the game because Gnawl had to reboot his entire computer. Wally really never got a chance to play, and at least two other guys had to rejoin at least once -- from a crash to desktop. It was 8 versus 5 guys playing from the middle of the round. I usually like those kind of odds, but we could have used you, Doc. :)

And oh yeah, the whole tournament was so delayed that they decided to only let us play a single-round, single-elimination style, one side only, with no restarts due to technical difficulties. Yes, even the *final* was only allowed to go for a single round - aaand if that isn't enough for ya, they even capped the round time down to 15 minutes, just to get rid of us.

So yeah, with one arm and four fingers of our other hand tied behind our backs, TFH lost the final.

But to tell you the truth, TFH needed a kick in the pants like this. We never saw the whole team together for a single practice, and only really picked up playing again in the final two weeks before PAX in our respective squads. Some of us (*cough Mustardlord cough*) actually only started playing BF2 Saturday afternoon, between rounds 2 and 3, after 364 days of World of Warcrafting since PAX 2005. We put some rookies (like one had never played the game before) down in seats 7 and 8 before BK and Mustard showed up 2 hours late. So, we really phoned this one in, man. Next year we are going to be ravenously hungry for it like we were in 2005. In fact, I'll bet we do all 8 BYOC in 2007, have big fuck-off widescreens, joysticks for the pilots and lug in our own Vent server FTW.

But then again, maybe my buddy Geiger rolls up with his team Paradigm Shift and cleans us all out. Who knows. PAX was outta control this year, like 20K people, so next year the level of competition is going to be naturally higher.

Hope you are well. Give the wifey's tummy a rub from Uncle Stormy.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Stormy.

I want to play BF2 again.

Hold me.

Are Frendy / Sladvan / Jdarksun / etc. still around?

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm sure that they are, but interest has certainly shifted to BF2142 (and likely Quake Wars). TFH is in the beta for BF2142, and I'll bet that those (extremely) good PA'ers you just named are too. If you need a beta invite, drop me a line at stormy.pa@gmail.com. (I know people).

I'm [PA]Storm Shadow on xfire. Hook me up with an invite and we'll play sometime.

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't know if I merit being qualified enough to play in the beta, if you even remember playing with me back in the day, but I'll drop you a line. I want to shoot people with space rifles!

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Well....shit

I knew this would happen without me! Were the strategy maps laminated?? I think not!

Anyway, I agree with your "needed the kick in the pants" thing. God willing and the creek dont rise, I will be there next year. Hopefully I will get my choice and get Ft. Lewis so I wont even have to travel. We will definately have to get organized like we were last year.

Im on a tasking right up in Seoul so I havent been able to get into 2142 yet. :( But as soon as I get back to the barracks I will be getting as much time in as I can.

Shoot me some contact info to my e-mail, I dont have it here with me.

...and how am I gonna rub my wife's belly here from Korea? You are much closer......but dont get any ideas :P

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Whoa whoa whoa, your wife is back stateside already? I thought she was staying with you..? Anyways, I gotta come out to Korea soon. My brother is there, too, now, with his wife. Bulgogi and kim chee FTW.

And yes, we all forgot our laminated maps. Even me. *hangs head*

(I still have it, though!)

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    I want to throw in my two cents for Team Win, the guys you played in the last round. Sure you can say that we didn't deserve to win - say whatever you want about it. The main issue here is that we didn't get to finish out that last game.

We didn't get to pick our systems. We just sat where they pointed. It was nice, at least, that they let us stay seeing as the previous times we left we were hit with an hour wait at least.

None of us had BYOC. It was a crap shoot on the systems - one of our guys had a busted mic port or his system config got messed up as well as another not being able to tab into vent to set it up.

I would have been more than willing to play that map again on equal systems. Why didn't you talk to us before you went to the organizers? I personally would have more than backed you guys up on finishing the last match.

Our armor team did fumble the ball. They didn't hold and we let you borrow our tank. On that note, with the second 2 man delay spawn we 100% had your back base and I knew our guys would recap our main. We certainly were at a ticket disadvantage but I don't think 35 was accurate. That would be 65 - 100 assuming you didn't lose anything and I can remember the initial amounts of that map. I recall something more like 68 – 85. We were behind 70ish to 90ish on karkand as US but we capped them out hard. It is really messed up that you were short on guys because of tech problems but I don't think you could have called the game at any point and if I really thought we were done I would have claimed defeat.

Next year I would like to see a dedicated bank for BF servers and a more structured tournament. The one 10-15min round business is total nonsense. BF2 or 2142 - we'll be there if it is a rematch you are looking for.

Lortext

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Whoa whoa whoa, your wife is back stateside already? I thought she was staying with you..? Anyways, I gotta come out to Korea soon. My brother is there, too, now, with his wife. Bulgogi and kim chee FTW.

And yes, we all forgot our laminated maps. Even me. *hangs head*

(I still have it, though!)

Yeah man, she never came out here, she is gonna fly out for a week in october but thats about it. I am taking my mid-tour leave in february so I can be there for the birth, If I missed it she would never let me forget :D

uc4life on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2006
    Everyone from the tournament admins to Khoo knows the BF2 tournament didn't go so hot this year. A certain amount of that is our (pax staff) fault, a certain amount of it isn't, but it's all our responsibility and I definitely accept the full brunt of the blow.

An apology won't do you much good, but we tried our very best to make the best out of a bad situation, and next year we WILL have these problems resolved.

So thanks for your patience, and again I'm sorry for the complications.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Thanks DiscoDave, hearing that makes me hopeful for next year. On the bright side the heavy downtime gave our combined team the opportunity to talk strategy.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    My friends and I (four of us) tried the PC freeplay for a bit on Sunday, but none of us could stay connected to either the 32 or 64 player BF servers for more than 2-3 minutes. I got disco'ed every time I saw another player. We ended up walking out of the PC freeplay at about the halfway mark of our alotted time.

We couldn't figure out why that would be happening either. Was there something up with the network?

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Let me guess. You were on the silver machines?

The network itself was fine. There were a few minor switch and cable problems, but that sort of thing is fairly unavoidable at a large lan. However, we had a lot of problems with the silver systems. We suspect they were overheating.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Anything that could go wrong with the Battlefield 2 tournament, did. Hardware problems, software problems, communication issues, scheduling problems, and participant interference.

The biggest problem was that the contingency plan for the tournament wasn't fleshed out, and ended with a final match that resulted in an unfun affair for both those playing and those running the tournament.

Battlefield is easily the most difficult game to run tournaments for due to the massive team sizes, the generally less competitive audience, and buggy dedicated server software. This doesn't excuse the poor handling of the tournament schedule or dealing with problematic hardware, but makes it clear that the Battlefield tournament needs to have much more planning than the other tournaments to run smoothly.

I was responsible for this tournament, and I'd like to apologize to all involved, especially Team Fucking Huge who were forced to play under crappy circumstances.

Fall on
  • Options
    EmodEmod Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah I could have been a heck of a lot more pissed about the way it was run if I didn't realize what a challenge it was for the people running it. My group was the misfit hodge-podge group thrown together that played after most in the first round were done. We didn't expect to get past the first round, but we weren't even given a chance.

After waiting nearly 2.5 hours, we walked in and were told to join a particular server. Some of us were setting configs, others were having computer issues, but we were told that we'd be notified when the event was starting for real. After finally getting my key config set and video at something other than 800x600, I got into the game. One of our guys was on their side and one of theirs was on our side since no one was told what side they'd be playing. Then suddenly we're told the round is over and the other side won. I got to fire maybe 20 rounds and we didn't even have the right people on the right sides. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed.

Still, PAX was fun and I didn't let this taint my weekend. I just hope that next year I get to lose because I get my ass handed to me, not because of miscommunication.

Emod on
  • Options
    ScorpinoxScorpinox Registered User new member
    edited August 2006
    Hey, Scorpinox from team Win here, this tournament definitely was messed up. First of all the delays were horrible, 90ish minutes between the 1st and 2nd round, started out late too.

The first round we were supposted to be told when we'd go "live" but noone ever saw it, on my team at least. We played as if we were practicing, and actually played like 5 rounds after the "live" round because we didn't know it was over. Regardless, we beat the other team ~95-0 every time so it wasn't like it was disputed we won, but it would've been nice to know we were live.

We kicked ass the next two rounds, almost never giving up a flag and controlling everything, finishing them off quickly.

Final round, that was a close one, opposing team controlled 2 points and the 3rd was neut, so we had no spawns. However me and 3-4 others were about to capture one of their flags and we had a couple at another flag, this was when the opposing team got a few disconnects, so we quickly capped the 2 flags, then then 3rd and ran them out with the other team having 5-6 people. When the round was over it was very odd because we weren't sure if the round was going to count with the other teams problems, so we stood up and waited around for a while until we got the word we apparently won. I would've like to shake the other team's hands and tell em good game but i think they shot outta there.

Finally, 7 people in our team got 100 tickets and 1 person got 200, which was odd because i'm not sure why that 1 person got the most, he wasn't the team captain and don't believe he was the "MVP". I don't care much anyway as I ended up giving some of mine away anyway.

Scorpinox on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    DiscoDave wrote:
    Let me guess. You were on the silver machines?

The network itself was fine. There were a few minor switch and cable problems, but that sort of thing is fairly unavoidable at a large lan. However, we had a lot of problems with the silver systems. We suspect they were overheating.

I don't remember the color of the machines, but they were AMDs, if that helps. Numbers 101, 99, 98 and 97. Actually, my buddy on 101 had his screen go all corrupt in that "yeah, it's overheating" fashion. But all 4 had constant server disconnects, which I don't normally associate with overheating, but I suppose it's possible.

My most up-to-date video card is an NVidia 6600GT in a Shuttle XPC case. I had to cut a hole in the side of my case to prevent it from overheating while playing WoW. Artifacts up the wazoo.

Anyway, I've run medium sized LAN parties (~40 player BF1942). I know how hard it is. Props to you guys for getting done what you did!

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Scorpinox - someone got 200 tickets? Are you sure he didn't have 100 from winning something the day before?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    In fact, I'll bet we do all 8 BYOC in 2007, have big fuck-off widescreens, joysticks for the pilots and lug in our own Vent server FTW.

Stormy, You already read my mind...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Lortext wrote:
    Scorpinox - someone got 200 tickets? Are you sure he didn't have 100 from winning something the day before?
    I personally handed out tickets, and I can say with reasonable assurance that this would have to be the case.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Please don't let my recounting of the days events to my teammate be misinterpreted as any kind of dispute to the officials decision, or diminish the victory of team WIN. I don't dispute or argue with officials. It is a thankless job, and I'm not about to make it harder.

When I fought Tae Kwon do for ISU my coach would *never* allow us to dispute a decision. Not only was it disrespectful, but if it came down to that, we only had ourselves to blame. "Why didn't you knock him out?" he would say, and we immediately knew he was right.

We didn't knock you out.

We didn't practice properly, didn't plan, didn't show up on time, didn't bring our own computers and didn't plan to win. Any four of us should have been able to beat a team that was thrown together the day of.

Also, I alpologize for not coming down and shaking your hands. I was the last guy alive, but on the other side of the BYOC, and my team had already gotten up and were flooding back to talk to me after the game ended. They were understandibly a bit confused, since this was the first time we'd ever lost a single round in three years, but it doesn't excuse us from being gracious.

Congratulations on being the undisputed champions. See you next year.

PS: Fall, thanks for helping us make the best of a bad situation. You just needed more help, and I plan to be part of the solution next year, on many fronts. (you'll see!) :)

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    Dr. DeezeeDr. Deezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Stormy, if you wanna help make tournaments go smoother, get in touch with me or Fall(out).

My email is johndonner@gmail.com (I'm the guy responsible for the past two CS tournies).

Dr. Deezee on
This discussion has been closed.