As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2 Tournament: WINNAR IS POOP

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mandalore is a big fat liar who intends some big fat sabotage because he is big and fat.
    He makes Tyrannus seem like Tiny Tim.
    I really wouldn't listen to his opinion.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    myvillainmyvillain __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    asiina, if west or east ever needs a sub during the matches, they can try messaging me on steam. Decent chance I'll be around. I play all classes.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971260745

myvillain on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    ITT: Roland reveals how whipped he actually is.

Damn straight.
    Actually, I'm a bit more whipped than I let on.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    It's not. I can move Roland to West, Danarchy to East, and Walnut better be West or else he's getting such a paddlin'

nobody is allowed to move after that though.
    with roland we can't lose

tofu on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm cheering you suckers on.

Every last one of you.
    Except that guy who keeps stabbing me in the back when I'm not lookingthatissomeandon'tyoulovemewhydoyoudothatIneverdidanythingtoyo-

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm cheering you suckers on.

Every last one of you.
    Except that guy who keeps stabbing me in the back when I'm not lookingthatissomeandon'tyoulovemewhydoyoudothatIneverdidanythingtoyo-
    Stab!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Better hope I'm not a captain or Team Fun Boys is a-comin'. This is non-negotiable.

Monsty on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    look does anyone have a problem playing a class other than what they wrote down as preferred? It's not a big deal. If there's no one on a team who said they prefer the spy (scout, sniper, etc) then the team will have to switch off people on that class, I don't think it's really a problem.

iowa on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have a problem playing anything other than a sniper, with spy as a close second to least preferred.

I can't promise I won't suck, but I'll play whatever.

Bama on
  • Options
    DanarchyDanarchy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can pretty much play any class but here is my preferred order:

1) Solider/Pyro/Spy
    2) Engineer
    3) Heavy/Medic
    3) Scout/Demo/Sniper

Danarchy on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll play anything. I haven't played Spy in forever, and I make a crappy Scout, but whatever a team needs is what I'll play.

As far as top classes go; Engy, Soldier, Sniper, is more or less interchangeable with me, I don't play any one that much better than another.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    look does anyone have a problem playing a class other than what they wrote down as preferred? It's not a big deal. If there's no one on a team who said they prefer the spy (scout, sniper, etc) then the team will have to switch off people on that class, I don't think it's really a problem.

There are some of us who can't play every class with competence. I cannot hit the broad side of a Heavy with a sniper rifle.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What I'm doing to make the teams is using a random number generator to choose who goes on what team.

Then I'm tweaking the teams to make sure that
    a) every class is represented in each team
    b) the teams are more or less fair (the first time I did it, Enders, Flippy, and Morninglord were on the same team)

From there people can choose who they want their leader to be and how they want to divide up classes. If you want I can post the chart I made for what each person has said they could play.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think Morninglord is adequate compensation for having good players like Enders and Flippy on the same team.

Bama on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    please do

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My order of preferred class...
    (Taking skill and preference into consideration)

Spy > Engineer > Medic > Demoman > Heavy > Pyro > Scout > Soldier > Sniper
    Unless you don't mind me sucking, then it's...
    (Taking just preference into consideration)

Spy > Pyro > Engineer > Heavy > Demoman > Medic > Scout > Sniper > Soldier

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You could also compile a list based on class, number each player 1-x then run the random number generator against each player-class list. =D

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This sounds like a job for A*!

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »

yea i tried to understand that...

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My way is faster and easier. I just see what list randomness has given us then check to make sure there is at least one of each class in there.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My way is faster and easier. I just see what list randomness has given us then check to make sure there is at least one of each class in there.
    Oh yea sure you know better than folks that study this shit. :P

Bama on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I like Asiina's way better.

Less maths.

EDIT: Just meant to link that, not embed. But, whatever, you should all watch it anyway if you haven't already.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Is this algorithm relevant to this problem? Sounds more like a grouping problem than a path finding problem.

Maybe you could instead take each individual, and assign a rank to each class. This rank will represent how good this person is with this said class.

Then you could make an algorithm that tries every combination of individuals for three teams. Any combinations where a team would have a class with a maximum rank of 0 (That is, nobody in that team can play that class), the combination is immediately discarded. Among each team of the remaining combinations, find the class selection among the teammates that would give that team the highest score (which would be calculated by adding each individual's selected class rank together). Then finally, find the combination where the team scores are as similar as possible, calculated by picking the combination with the smallest standard deviation.

Edit: Alternatively, we should pick the combination that results in the highest average score among teams, and a minimal standard deviation. The two would have to be weighted some how in this decision, otherwise you'd have three teams of similar combined skill, but only because everyone is playing their worst class, or something like that.

You would have to do this twice, once for the west coast, and once for east. It's not efficient in the least, but with a database this small, it wouldn't take long if coded properly.

Edit The remake: I could probably code this if you'd like, in python probably, but I'd probably need until friday. I could probably do it today if I wanted, but I kind of have other priorities. Everybody would also have to list what they consider their skill is in each class (0 for refuse to play, 10 for I get headshots all the time).

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Or I could already be done the East division and now that we have a final list for the West division I can finish that in about ten minutes.

PS I got tired of waiting for Walnut so Cryo is now filling the last spot in the West division.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Is this algorithm relevant to this problem? Sounds more like a grouping problem than a path finding problem.

Maybe you could instead take each individual, and assign a rank to each class. This rank will represent how good this person is with this said class.

Then you could make an algorithm that tries every combination of individuals for three teams. Any combinations where a team would have a class with a maximum rank of 0 (That is, nobody in that team can play that class), the combination is immediately discarded. Among each team of the remaining combinations, find the class selection among the teammates that would give that team the highest score (which would be calculated by adding each individual's selected class rank together). Then finally, find the combination where the team scores are as similar as possible, calculated by picking the combination with the smallest standard deviation.

You would have to do this twice, once for the west coast, and once for east. It's not efficient in the least, but with a database this small, it wouldn't take long if coded properly.
    I'll admit that I just used A* because it was the first thing that came to mind. You can just think of it as finding a best path through a decision tree of class assignments. Once all the necessary class assignments are made the teams can be formed randomly or using a similar method with skill in the assigned class as the "cost."

Bama on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Asiina, thank you for setting up this tournament.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    Gin Soacked BoyGin Soacked Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    marty wrote: »
    Dear Edcrab and Marty.

You are both terrible.

Love, Asiina

Dear Asiina

You have smelly toes

PS: Send penis cookies

Love

Marty

EDIT: Fuck letter came back, says the address "Between the legs" isnt valid

My parents have retired and are now living in scootland. I am visiting them because I am sick of London and whatwith its stabbings and all. London needs moar pyros olol

Glasgows the murder capitol of Europe ya know:P

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh yea, this too.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Or I could already be done the East division and now that we have a final list for the West division I can finish that in about ten minutes.

PS I got tired of waiting for Walnut so Cryo is now filling the last spot in the West division.

Are you sure? I'm starting to like the idea of this tournament team balancer... I could make it generalized for games of different team sizes and different kinds of classes...

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anytime that Maths thing is posted I watch the entire thing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Are you sure? I'm starting to like the idea of this tournament team balancer... I could make it generalized for games of different team sizes and different kinds of classes...

You can do all the maths you want, but I'm almost done making the team lists.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

i was going to say exactly this.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Teams are up, you may now commence complaining!

TEAMS
    East1
    Jesuits
    Spets
    kdrudy
    Duld
    Veitsev
    DualEdge
    Handsome Costanza
    Enders
    Ozmodai
    East2
    lemur
    Gin Soaked Boy
    Littleboots
    Green Power Ranger
    MindLib
    Blackbeard
    Danarchy
    Barrettson
    TheSinisterMinister
    East3
    Morninglord
    Boson
    YardGnome
    The Cow King
    In Starscream We Trust
    redfenix
    Malkor
    Flippy
    Kreuts

West1
    Bama
    Yougottawanna
    DeadlySherpa
    Buddha
    Roland
    tofu
    Sueve
    Karrmer
    Fellhand
    West2
    Monsty
    The Lawinator
    Quaz
    Alex Wilder
    TK-42-1
    Toastmold
    iowa
    bigwah
    cryohazard
    West3
    Mooman
    WickedKarma
    Mandalore
    doug
    dnilb
    Mr Delish
    Starbuck
    Fig-D
    RandomEngy

Also if you guys want to get together and pick a team captain and team name that would be awesome.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Teams are up, you may now commence complaining!

TEAMS
    East1
    Jesuits
    Spets
    kdrudy
    Duld
    Veitsev
    DualEdge
    Handsome Costanza
    Enders
    Ozmodai
    East2
    lemur
    Gin Soaked Boy
    Littleboots
    Green Power Ranger
    MindLib
    Blackbeard
    Danarchy
    Barrettson
    TheSinisterMinister
    East3
    Morninglord
    Boson
    YardGnome
    The Cow King
    In Starscream We Trust
    redfenix
    Malkor
    Flippy
    Kreuts

West1
    Bama
    Yougottawanna
    DeadlySherpa
    Buddha
    Roland
    tofu
    Sueve
    Karrmer
    The Lawinator
    West2
    Monsty
    Fellhand
    Quaz
    Alex Wilder
    TK-42-1
    Toastmold
    iowa
    bigwah
    cryohazard
    West3
    Mooman
    WickedKarma
    Mandalore
    doug
    dnilb
    Mr Delish
    Starbuck
    14. Fig-D
    RandomEngy

Also if you guys want to get together and pick a team captain and team name that would be awesome.

Do you know which classes we are playing or do we discuss among the group to figure that out?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't want to be on Malkor's team.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    west 2 seems super strong..

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If you want I can post the chart I made to ensure every class is represented, but you guys can choose how you want to distribute classes.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The west division was harder to balance simply because there are more experienced players in the west. There's not a lot I can do about that. There's also an issue in the west that people put fewer options for classes, so to ensure every class was covered there was a fair bit of moving around.

Quaz moved, RandomEngy moved, Mandalore moved, and Starbuck moved. I think it's pretty fair. And if it ends up being an lol steamroll then sorry bout that, but it's a for-fun tournament anyway.

EDIT: I just noticed that Fellhand and cryo both put medic only (I was working off Walnut's class preference in one list) so I changed fellhand to West1 and put TheLawinator in West2. Sorry, about that. There should be no more changes.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The west division was harder to balance simply because there are more experienced players in the west. There's not a lot I can do about that. There's also an issue in the west that people put fewer options for classes, so to ensure every class was covered there was a fair bit of moving around.

Quaz moved, RandomEngy moved, Mandalore moved, and Starbuck moved. I spent some time on it and I think it's rather fair. And if it ends up being an lol steamroll then sorry bout that, but it's a for-fun tournament anyway.

I moved? I seemed to have been in west 2. I still seem to be in west 2. I haven't moved from my home, at least not for a little more than a year now...

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AWWW JEAH!! WEST TEAM 2 IN THE HOUSE! >.> I'm on the east coast though.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator