As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

speakers picking up radio signal

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got some new speakers + subwoofer for my computer and they are picking up radio signals. How can I stop this?

HalberdBlue on

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You cant really. Are you close to a radio station brodcast tower? Or is it someone doing their ham radio out of their basement at a riddiculous power?

If it is a neighbor or someone you can turn them into the FCC I think. Then someone will tell them to stop or be fined.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

you'll need to be pretty creative, though.

CrystalMethodist on
  • HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha, I had actually thought about a Faraday cage, but I think it's a little drastic. I am quite close to a radio broadcast tower; we have one on campus. It didn't happen to my old speakers though, so I thought there might be something I could do to fix it. I'm good with a soldering iron and not afraid to tinker around circuits.

HalberdBlue on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha, I had actually thought about a Faraday cage, but I think it's a little drastic. I am quite close to a radio broadcast tower; we have one on campus. It didn't happen to my old speakers though, so I thought there might be something I could do to fix it. I'm good with a soldering iron and not afraid to tinker around circuits.

Whatever shielding the wiring has on your new speakers must suck. maybe you can replace them with better sheathed wire?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    It's entirely probable that your old speakers just weren't very good and didn't react sufficiently to the weak signal on the wires to make audible sound.

You could run your wires through metal conduit. That'd create a Faraday cage around the wires, which are acting as an antenna. It'd have to be fully enclosed metal conduit though. Or you could wrap them in a metal mesh, I'm sure you could find something vaguely suitable at a hardware store.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it happening while you're listening to music, or just when they're on but you're not sending any audio to them?

Reckless on