As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gmail issues.

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My Grandfather is on Vista and uses IE.

He's having an issue that whwn he loads up Gmail, it continually loops loading, forcing him to switch to basic HTML via a link in the bottom of the window.

I dont know what caused it, but I've tried a few things for him.

Changing the gmail bookmak to https:// and also the link that stops it checking your browser. No Luck.
The most tantalising hint is that if I clear the cache-cookies etc... It loads fine. Once. As soon as it tries to remember who you are and automatically login - it starts looping again.
Also - loading the inbox from the Gmail notifier seems to work ok too.

Anyone help?

Just so you know... My grandfather is 85, he's pretty good on new tech, but it would be a big deal for him to switch to using a different browser. I need to try to get this working with IE if possible. Similarly with "why not just use the notifier?" - He's a creature of habit, so I really want this to work the way it's supposed to - rather than a workaround.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is your grandfather using the new or old version of Gmail? If he's using the new version, are you able to try the old version? Some browsers can't load Gmail 2 for some reason or another.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've actually had this problem rather regularly with Firefox 3, myself. I leave my Gmail open all day long, and eventually it gets stuck in a loop and dies.

Honestly I figured it was their servers mucking up, and seeing that someone else is having the same issue on a different browser reinforces that a bit. Now I am off to googlefu and see if anyone else is having this problem. >.>

Edit: Googlefu fails, unfortunately, most people just clear their cache it seems... I normally just load the old version for a while and go back to the new version the next time I'm interested in that tab of my browser.

Aurin on
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had this happen as well. And it usually goes away after I close that tab and open a new one or close the browser and open it again. It rarely continues after that. Glad I'm not the only one that has had this happen though.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm, this keep happening - its been going for almost a week...

Is there a link that forces "Gmail 1"?
    Maybe I can just change his link... He'll never notice.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You should be able to just change the link to https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1 and it should be fine. I'm not sure if it would remember across different machines, but if it's just the one machine, it should work.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't had any problems in Firefox 2.x or 3.0 or in IE on both Vista and XP Pro.

Did you check your spyware or if there were new add-ons installed that might have 'broke' your browser? Try reinstalling the browser and seeing if it works properly.

Also, for your grandfather, I'd highly recommend switching him to Firefox or anything other than Internet Explorer.

KVW on