Options

Entering Canada via the US

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so an american want to come visit me up here in Canada. She would be coming by bus.

It says
When entering Canada from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification.

What kind of ''photo identification'' is acceptable in your experience?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
Jean on

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    State issued ID

Cauld on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Driver's Liscence or a Miltary ID Card would suffice.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm that's interesting.

I am not a U.S. citizen but I have a Virginia issued drivers license. Does that mean I can also just go in? Odd.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She have no driver license but have a BMV issued ID. That should be good enough no?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The quote says you need a Birth Certificate and an ID.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basar wrote: »
    I am not a U.S. citizen but I have a Virginia issued drivers license. Does that mean I can also just go in? Odd.

You would also need an American birth certificate.

edit: ninja'd

Papillon on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The quote says you need a Birth Certificate and an ID.

Ah, k. Thanks.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Make sure it is an actual birth certificate. Not the novelty kind you get with your footprint on it... I am not kidding.

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if your photo id is expired will they still accept it at the border

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jean wrote: »
    She have no driver license but have a BMV issued ID. That should be good enough no?

Yes, as long as its state issued. I would not expect them to be ok with an expired ID, though if its clipped and you have the slip of paper they give you until your new ID comes in the mail, they'd probably accept that.

Cauld on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To come back in to the US I'm fairly certain you have to have a passport now.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tralev wrote: »
    Make sure it is an actual birth certificate. Not the novelty kind you get with your footprint on it... I am not kidding.

Yes, it needs to be a certified-copy, with the little seal on it.

I used that and a driver's license to go US->Canada & back 2 or 3 years ago, no problem.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »

Only by air. You're covered with ID via land until January.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, I thought that passports would be required for all crossings(this was a recent change, maybe it hasn't quite been implemented yet), except for Washington state, since it has a special agreement with Canada to accept Washington driver's licenses.

Edit: I guess Satan covered what I was thinking of.

But Washington state is still different and I think their D.L.s work for everything.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wouldn't it be extremly stupid to prevent an american citizen from entering back into her own country? You dont need a passport to leave so I dont see how it would be intelligent to ask one to get back. Lot of americans would be stuck in Canada and Mexico if that was the case

Jean on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only by air. You're covered with ID via land until January.

Until June 1, 2009 actually. But yeah.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A follow up, do they do car searches when you come back into the united states now? In case I may or may not be bringing back vegetables. :winky:

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    A follow up, do they do car searches when you come back into the united states now? In case I may or may not be bringing back vegetables. :winky:

IIRC, yes, they do.

Not that it matters. :P Veggies = Good! Fruit = BAD. In general.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

IIRC, yes, they do.

Not that it matters. :P Veggies = Good! Fruit = BAD. In general.

I don't think he's talking about what you think he's talking about.

Also, the reason for much of the confusion over passport vs. birth cert/ID is that they've changed the rules back and forth over the past couple years. They changed it to passport, then when there was a huge backlog at the passport office they delayed the change.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wouldn't it be extremly stupid to prevent an american citizen from entering back into her own country? You dont need a passport to leave so I dont see how it would be intelligent to ask one to get back. Lot of americans would be stuck in Canada and Mexico if that was the case

When I went into Mexico a couple years ago I walked across the San Ysdiro border. All that was there to mark the border was a set of those revolving door style gates that only go one way. There was no one there to check any ID or remind you to bring ID so you can get back into the US, so I would have been screwed if I had forgotten my ID, since they sure has hell checked my ID on the way back.

Basically, it's up to you to be smart enough to check what you need to come back.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if your photo id is expired will they still accept it at the border

No

Quethal on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They will "randomly" search your vehicle if you look suspicious (ie: have brown skin), if you are a known shit-disturber, or if the vehicle looks suspect.

Azio on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This was my understanding as well.

When I checked in February for my trip to Toronto, I could get into Canada with either a US passport by itself, Or a state issued ID and a birth certificate. However, to come back across it was explained that a Passport was required.

I didn't check into any deeper than that and just took my passport to be safe.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well, you do need one to leave, if you want to get to your destination. You don't need a passport to get into the US or Canada by boat or road, provided you have a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

You do need some form of ID to get into any country. You can't just say "I'm american, I promise" and hope they let you in. It doesn't work that way. If you don't have ID and somehow ended up in a different country after some sort week-long drinking binge or something, you can go to the Embassy and get some papers that will let you cross the border. From what I've heard, that is a huge pain in the ass.

Really, just get a passport.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    They will "randomly" search your vehicle if you look suspicious (ie: have brown skin), if you are a known shit-disturber, or if the vehicle looks suspect.

Searches are rare, but they do happen. I've been back and forth several times and never been searched - this includes times returning with car loads of drunk 19-22 year olds after having visited the, ahem, Canadian Ballet. But at least half the time I've seen at least one other vehicle be directed into the parking spaces for the searches. They do seem to take more care with the interview when returning to the states these days, however. It's not even always those who seem suspicious - my wife's family was searched once when it was a car with Mom, Dad, two kids a dog and a bunch of camping gear. And Mom and Dad were abous as Ward and June cleaver as they get. The dog was pretty shifty, I guess.

Best not to risk your vegetable smuggling.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »

Searches are rare, but they do happen. I've been back and forth several times and never been searched - this includes times returning with car loads of drunk 19-22 year olds after having visited the, ahem, Canadian Ballet. But at least half the time I've seen at least one other vehicle be directed into the parking spaces for the searches. They do seem to take more care with the interview when returning to the states these days, however. It's not even always those who seem suspicious - my wife's family was searched once when it was a car with Mom, Dad, two kids a dog and a bunch of camping gear. And Mom and Dad were abous as Ward and June cleaver as they get. The dog was pretty shifty, I guess.

Best not to risk your vegetable smuggling.

Take anything across but meat, oranges or apples without Canadian or American stickers.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.