As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Call of Cthulhu-DcotE-Final-The end of God and Man

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello and welcome to the Let's Play for Call of Cthulhu-Dark corners of the Earth

logotx1.jpg

Hello! After my Alice Let's Play I thought this would be a good next one :D

The plan is to do the levels in parts; also planned is do this game without pissing myself in fear. More likely to achieve the former rather than the latter.

'I saw him on a sleepless night when I was walking desperately to save my soul and my vision.'

So then what is this game?

This game is a horror FPS, a FPS with a difference. Unique to this game compared to most shooters is the sanity system (think Eternal darkness style). The more horrifying the scene the more our hero (Jack Walters, Private detective) loses it. Crack up to much and you die, usually with the weapon you have at the time.

This game has almost no HUD of any kind, which makes it rather distinctive. You can tell your health by the on screen effects, the worse your condition the harder it is to see and move. All healing must be done through the use of separate healing items. For example you are hurt in the leg, select the precise area needed on the inventory screen and Jack will apply the bandage (which takes time, not good if something ‘unpleasant’ is heading your way).

A lot of the combat can be avoided, which seems to be the better option most of the time, as the game is not very frequent with ammo or even weapons

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.'

Some story?

The game's protagonist is Jack Walters, formerly a police detective with a talent for solving cases with apparently insufficient evidence who after a rather disturbing visit to raided house in Boston, went insane for years.

Now earning a living as a private detective, whilst also attempting to trace his own actions during the period of mental disturbance that he now cannot remember, Jack is contacted to take up a missing person case in the town of Innsmouth.

Over the course of the game, Jack slowly unravels the strange and terrible secrets behind Innsmouth, the Burnham case, and even the Boston incident that initially landed him in the asylum. In an environment filled with murderous cultists, deep-sea monsters, and alien horrors, Jack must try to survive and remain sane despite the horrors of the new case and his afflictions.

'We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.'

Quiz thing

An idea I have is too do some sort of ‘thing’ to keep you all involved, a quiz perhaps, or maybe something else (you guys help with that bit) with the idea of whoever does the best at 'it' wins the game we are Let’s Playing. Ie. Call of Cthulhu Dark corners of the Earth.
Give me some ideas for that folks yeah? :p

This is where the videos for each part will go up. I will initially upload to Youtube, but I can and will upload elsewhere if people wish.

Right then, let’s all go and get insane:

Videos

Starting with two lots today 'some i prepared earlier' yadda yadda :P

Prologue Set (3)
Welcome to Innsmouth set (2)
Of Maggots and Monsters set: (4)

Attack of the Fishmen set (3)

There's something down here set (3)

Something is following me set (2)
What's happening to me set (2)
Jailbreak set (2)
Escape from Innsmouth set (2)
Back in the Asylum cutscene (Story only-no commentary)
The dark Refinery set (3)
Shaggoth, Marsh and Cthulhu set (4)
The order of Dagon set (4)
A dangerous voyage set (3)
Devil's Reef set (2)
Air filled Tunnels set (3)
Yithian Lightning Cannon Model D set (2)
The end of God and Man set (3)
Bonus videos (1. Watch after Attack of the Fishmen set due to spoilers :) )

Bonus video 2 (Watch after 'A dangerous voyage' set)
Bonus video 3 (Watch after 'Air filled Tunnels' set)
I made this thread after bothering mods without reading the rules. Sorry about that. I didn't need to ask them for permission, but meh. :P

'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.'

All quotes courtesy of Mr H.P. Lovecraft.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. I'll be watching this thread intently. I loved this game.

Also, your accent makes this LP even better.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    Awesome. I'll be watching this thread intently. I loved this game.

Also, your accent makes this LP even better.

Hey thanks!

I'll be doing the next one for monday.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you missed a couple of items (was there a medic box in the market basement as well?) but other than that, so far, so good.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Praise Shub-Niggurath!

This game is awesome! Can't wait to watch.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cool game. Wasn't there another Lovecraft themed game that came out around the same time, or am I imagining it?

Food on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game really never got enough attention, though I suspect whatever the box art thought it was trying to do didn't help much.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    God fuck yes I love this game. I love you.

I'a R'lyeh I'a I'a Cthulhu Ftaghn

The only good Lovecraft game that's not a point and click.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quite enjoyed this, so I will be following your progress as well. Best moment had to be the scary hung woman.

pabh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    pabh wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed this, so I will be following your progress as well. Best moment had to be the scary hung woman.

Made me jump in my chair D: (even when i knew it was coming, bastard loud sound effects)

Yeah I missed the health pack, which I noticed while playing the recording back after my 5th attempt. I'll subtly grab it before the next one :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Helloween wrote: »

Made me jump in my chair D: (even when i knew it was coming, bastard loud sound effects)

Yeah I missed the health pack, which I noticed while playing the recording back after my 5th attempt. I'll subtly grab it before the next one :D

:D fantastic, I think the lets play can only be improved by you being scared shitless, so anything you can do to increase that is probably good:lol:

pabh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

:D fantastic, I think the lets play can only be improved by you being scared shitless, so anything you can do to increase that is probably good:lol:

I'll do the next one in the dark or something haha. So no one got any ideas for quiz questions or something else to do during the videos? Win prizes people :p
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This game really never got enough attention, though I suspect whatever the box art thought it was trying to do didn't help much.

Well...

dcoteboxdu6.jpg

D:

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want this game, badly

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want this game, badly

Then help me think of an idea for something fun to do with the LP :p. Quizes? Questions? Something like that. Guest commentary perhaps. The version I'm giving away is the PC one, which I think is region free.

When we get an idea going, the person with the most points/best questions etc etc wins the game.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked this when I played through it. It's got some regrettable bits, but I've never played something that made me as scared as I was in some parts of this game.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How about filling the commentary with as many Lovecraft quotes as possible?
    (Unlikely to win, but I do already own the pc version)

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OH FUCK YES

I can't wait to see
    the escape from the hotel

Keep the footage of you dying horribly multiple times to make a montage. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    OH FUCK YES

I can't wait to see
    the escape from the hotel

Keep the footage of you dying horribly multiple times to make a montage. :D

I will don't worry. Just hope theres enough HD space left to record all that :P
    Xagarath wrote: »
    How about filling the commentary with as many Lovecraft quotes as possible?
    (Unlikely to win, but I do already own the pc version)

Thats not a bad idea tbh. Or guess which book the quote comes from I duno. It's just something to make it a bit more interactive rather than me just prattling on all the time.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would also note that this must be infinitely better to play on PC than on Xbox, since that controller is about as precise as a chainsaw is for a vasectomy.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want this game, badly

Then help me think of an idea for something fun to do with the LP :p. Quizes? Questions? Something like that. Guest commentary perhaps. The version I'm giving away is the PC one, which I think is region free.

When we get an idea going, the person with the most points/best questions etc etc wins the game.

Hmm, make up some questions that involve your videos so that whoever wins the game is the most loyal fan :P

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would also note that this must be infinitely better to play on PC than on Xbox, since that controller is about as precise as a chainsaw is for a vasectomy.

Now that bring tears to my eyes...

Yeah it's better with the PC but no graphics options what so ever is irritating. Lazy version is lazy.
    I want this game, badly

Hmm, make up some questions that involve your videos so that whoever wins the game is the most loyal fan :P

Thats an idea. Things that crop up in the videos as questions...hmmm.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game fucking ruled. Will be watching this one.

Zilart on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is one of my favorite games of all time.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love this game so hard.

Will definitely be watching :)

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Next update! I demands it! I must play vicariously through you (can't find my game :( )

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Heh. Didn't think there would be this many people intrested tbh. Ok. I'll try and do a video tonight. hows that? :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds good. I've enjoyed it so far.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Next section is up!

Of Maggots and Monsters:

Please let me know what you think :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MOAR!

Very nicely done. I could never finish this game (I'm a big chicken). Keep it up.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate getting in early on a lets play. at least this is FPS. I remember the GTA SA lets play at something awful lasted about a year. Though that dude completely re-did the story. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to watch more.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd love to play this game. This needs to be on Steam.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MOAR!

Very nicely done. I could never finish this game (I'm a big chicken). Keep it up.

Me too D:

But I'll grow a pair for you guys :P. The first time through I'm suprised I managed it. I can bearly do Silent Hill and this easily matches it.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved this game, though I never finished it because I had to return it to the video store where I rented it. D:

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is very entertaining so far.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great LP! Now I AM ALL WHATS IN THE SAAAFE

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    AntillesAntilles Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I remember playing this game... so awesome. One thing that happened to me that really gave away the mood in Innsmouth, and that I haven't seen in the two LP's I followed so far, was one of the normal (i.e. thin) citizens sitting on a bench in front of the Order, sobbing like crazy and pissing himself. I think it was the same citizen who was told not to speak to strangers... In any case, it was a neat little touch, I though.

Anyways, the LP's pretty good so far, hope you've got the staying power to finish it.

Antilles on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    im gonna watch this whole set cuz i own the game but it wont play on my 360 :(

also i am totally not gay but you have a nice voice

Barcardi on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahh, I'll be watching this LP very closely. Always wanted to try out this game, but could never find a copy.

Igort on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh awesome, I never got to finish the game because of a game breaking bug with my save/360 backwards compatability and didn't have the balls to replay to where I was.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hello out there?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hello out there?

After me? :P

New videos have been uploaded, I'll post them later on.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!