As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interesting... I'm intrigued, and I look forward to seeing your design for next year! =)

(URGH, must stop checking forums and start working... why do I do this to myself?)

Oh, an interesting story for you, if you're there The_Reflection!

Your button was on my backpack, and apparently somehow the faceplate of it came OFF of the rest of it. Luckily, a lady behind me picked it up and gave it to me, I didn't even realize it had fallen off! So right now I have a bunch of buttons, and a The_Reflection... well, it's like a Pog, or a medallion, sort of (except with rounded corners), which I thought was awesome. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YAY!

DSCN0361.jpg

Now if only I could find a hammer and some nails I could put it on my wall!

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that's awesome, Eyeshuh. Took me a second to realize that it spelled out PAX 2008 :D

edit: also, I'm an "A" rank button, *flex*

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In all actuality, I think someone stole my TWEWY button that redhalo gave me. I seriously think it was stolen, because several people were asking me about it all weekend, and then after setting my bag down at the xbox booth to watch major give his preview, it was gone... weird part is, I found a couple of pins that had fallen off someones bag, and returned them to their original owner (i dont remember what they were exactly anymore, but I remember one was a maochan button, so i gave it back to him)... except the twewy one :P

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm... the thought hadn't occurred to me that someone would outright steal the buttons. Maybe that happened to some of mine too then? There *was* an aweful lot of them missing from my bag. =( That would suck if it was the case. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    In all actuality, I think someone stole my TWEWY button that redhalo gave me. I seriously think it was stolen, because several people were asking me about it all weekend, and then after setting my bag down at the xbox booth to watch major give his preview, it was gone... weird part is, I found a couple of pins that had fallen off someones bag, and returned them to their original owner (i dont remember what they were exactly anymore, but I remember one was a maochan button, so i gave it back to him)... except the twewy one :P

Yeah, I had originally thought that I could keep all my buttons on my bag. I changed this plan when they started falling off. I kept enough buttons prominently displayed to advertise myself to other buttoneers, but yeah, I kept the rest in a ziplock bag.

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    that's awesome, Eyeshuh. Took me a second to realize that it spelled out PAX 2008 :D

edit: also, I'm an "A" rank button, *flex*

Haha, well, if I recall you were one of the cute Canadians. What's with that anyway? Are all boys cute in Canada?

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got 43 different buttons, but.. I lost one of them. It either fell off, or something. :( Thank you everybody, who gave me buttons! I will not be a lamer, and have some to trade next year!

MeeOk on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    What's with that anyway? Are all boys cute in Canada?

I had an amusing thing here written out about life in the frozen tundra turning us into gods among men...but I didn't want to see Haterot's response to it, so I'll just say:

"awwww, now you gone and made me blush :oops:"

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lots of Canadians -are- cute. The boys and the girls. What the heck, man.. I miss living close to the border.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My total is 104 buttons. Thanks for playing you guys! SAY NO TO DRUGS!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    134, ride the pig!

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    nephthysnephthys Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    There were a few instances of "false advertisement" when I approached people wearing buttons not from the exchange. Those bastards =D. j/k.

Haha, same happened to me more than once XD I learned to start doing a quick visual check to see if I noticed any familiar buttons before pouncing upon the person in question.
    Also, next year, I will have a far superior design. I will make my button something coveted and something people want to wear EVERY MINUTE OF THEIR LIVES. I mean, like, even more so than this year (MS Paint + 15 minutes of time FTW)

Yours is actually one of my favorites because it looks so hectic and smushed together that I just laugh at how awesomely rushed it appears XD

nephthys on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I feel soooo bad that I ran out of buttons on Friday afternoon. Definitely planning to make more next year! Also, I heard talk of some of the VIPs getting in on it because they thought it was so awesome.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    I feel soooo bad that I ran out of buttons on Friday afternoon. Definitely planning to make more next year! Also, I heard talk of some of the VIPs getting in on it because they thought it was so awesome.

I wanted one of yours soooo bad :( The only times I saw you, you seemed busy, and that was only on the first day... never saw you again :(

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got the Liger Button before it was cool.

Houn on
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought about doing this but decided not to participate.

How foolish of me. This looked like one of the coolest events going on throughout the weekend. It's awesomeness was permanently established when I witnessed the case presented to Mike & Jerry at the 2nd Q&A. Count me in for next year.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i missed the giving of the button box due to collecting Family Fued prizes.

Did anyone take a video or pictures?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Officer on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, finally got back home and fully rested, and all I can say is you guys are awesome! The buttons were a really fun idea, and I got to meet a ton of fellow forumers for the first time. I ended up with exactly 100 unique buttons, not counting the DTS or Expo Hall ones, so I'd call it a successful run!
    buttonbundle.jpg

Thanks to everyone for being friendly about button trading during PAX. There were a few pins I missed (Eye-shuh, I played Mario Kart with you during Friday's line and never actually found you!), but I still had a blast collecting and hunting for awesome designs, and nearly ran out of pins at the final Sheraton exchange (wish I went outside for the picture!). I don't know how feasible buttoneering will be next year but in any case, I hope to see all of you again next time around!

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now I know why I have so many of my own buttons left over... only one picture so far has one of mine in it. sob/cry ;-)

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    MandaristaMandarista Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There were a few instances of "false advertisement" when I approached people wearing buttons not from the exchange. Those bastards =D. j/k.
    Hey now, I'd planned on wearing some buttons of my own long before buttons were "cool" around here.
    I've been wearing my buttons to other cons too, for as long as I've owned them, sooo....
    Neener! :lol:

I didn't get a chance to get into the "real" button thing this year, partly because I didn't think it would be as big as it was, partly because I know I'm not one of the "cool kids" around here and thought people would just think "who the heck is that chick anyways?" :P

Though I did get some buttons from RL friends, and a few "sympathy" buttons from people who thought I was trading when they found out I was a day late and a dollar short so to speak on the whole thing.
    I just might get in on all the button-y goodness next time around....

Mandarista on
    Screw Frodo..... TASSLEHOFF LIVES!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    (Eye-shuh, I played Mario Kart with you during Friday's line and never actually found you!)

Oh noes! We will most definitely have to make sure we exchange next year. :)

That is awesome we played the Kart though. That line was a little crazy, so I'm not surprised we didn't see each other after.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MeeOk wrote: »
    Lots of Canadians -are- cute. The boys and the girls. What the heck, man.. I miss living close to the border.

Hey glad I was one of the ones that wasn't too creepy to give you a button for a hug.

I need to figure out some way of having all my buttons displayed. The camera bag I put them on is somewhat expensive, and I can't put them on my large brown bag since I take it snowboarding. Maybe I could make some sort of canvas or wire sculpture.

I think I'll just take one or two around on hats, I know I lost a couple during the con as well, ontop of redhalo's getting mangled.

And yay, I see my button on the bottom left of eye shuh's display.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanted to say that I'm sorry I didn't actually meet too many of you in person. Being stuck in my theatre made it hard, and I think a lot of people didn't think to ask me, or didn't have time due to me running around like a chicken w/ my head cut off. So thank you Moe for taking my bag of buttons to the Sheraton & getting a shit ton of them traded for me, I had so much fun looking through all of them. And thanks to those of you that did indeed seek me out and get a button. :)

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanted to say that I'm sorry I didn't actually meet too many of you in person. Being stuck in my theatre made it hard, and I think a lot of people didn't think to ask me, or didn't have time due to me running around like a chicken w/ my head cut off. So thank you Moe for taking my bag of buttons to the Sheraton & getting a shit ton of them traded for me, I had so much fun looking through all of them. And thanks to those of you that did indeed seek me out and get a button. :)

I accidentally found you Saturday night during 12 Monkeys when my cohorts and I were wandering around.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    ArcheiousArcheious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One word, EPIC.

That is all, carry on.

Archeious on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I... have a lot. Somewhere *around* 100-ish. I'll count for sure and take a picture once I both manage to find a more orderly way of keeping the buttons than what I have currently (they're still on my messenger bag like they were at the con) and manage to sort the swag buttons out from the trade buttons.

Best button-trading moment for me: Zephyril asking to trade with me while playing Mafia at the Prototype 161 booth, making a big deal about how he'd been wanting mine, then *pinning it to his costume*. Seeing it show up again a bit later when I found a pic of him over at Kotaku in a cosplay pics post was just kinda *neat*.

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    RyosenRyosen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also need to figure out some sort of display options like Cuzza's scarf. Was kind of a pain putting them on my messenger bag.

Yosh was saying that he was going to take one of the swag shirts and use that as a button display. I would've done the same. Pin it to some foam-board, throw it in a shadow box, and hang it up. You can get the supplies at any craft store.

Ryosen on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ryosen wrote: »
    Also need to figure out some sort of display options like Cuzza's scarf. Was kind of a pain putting them on my messenger bag.

Yosh was saying that he was going to take one of the swag shirts and use that as a button display. I would've done the same. Pin it to some foam-board, throw it in a shadow box, and hang it up. You can get the supplies at any craft store.

This is my plan as well. I found an unstained shadow box at a craft store that should fit them all perfectly.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Liger wrote: »

That would be awesome! I <3 Felicia Day's "not yet existant, but maybe it will be" PAX 2009 button! (Don't tell my wife! =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    nephthys wrote: »
    Also, next year, I will have a far superior design. I will make my button something coveted and something people want to wear EVERY MINUTE OF THEIR LIVES. I mean, like, even more so than this year (MS Paint + 15 minutes of time FTW)

Yours is actually one of my favorites because it looks so hectic and smushed together that I just laugh at how awesomely rushed it appears XD

Haha, awesome. Also, I'll make the link point to something special and cool next time, like a one time gift for fellow buttoneers. =D

Final count: 130+ uniques plus, I had four duplicates =P

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A right royal buttoning!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    well i just counted and i have 18 buttons left, given that i gave out a good number for nothing in return and i only started with 54 i'm guessing that my button was one of the more difficult to track down.

i think next year instead of the sheritin we should meet at the smoking pavilion at the con center

super... on
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A few people asked me for this information, and I figured here was the best place to put it.

The company that built the case for us:
    Spider Technologies
    10720 Stephenson Rd.
    Onsted, MI. 49265

They did an amazing job and exceeded every expectation I had.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lordthanda wrote: »
    A few people asked me for this information, and I figured here was the best place to put it.

The company that built the case for us:
    Spider Technologies
    10720 Stephenson Rd.
    Onsted, MI. 49265

They did an amazing job and exceeded every expectation I had.

More importantly, how do we send a thank you note?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Doesn't anyone have a better photo of the case where you can see the buttons a little better?

Earley on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earley wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone have a better photo of the case where you can see the buttons a little better?

I got some decent close-up shots when the box was by BYOC, but I was just using my iPhone. I'll get them posted after work. I'm sure there are better shots out there than mine. Darkphibre?

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    After viewing the button collection photos in this thread I have not seen a picture of my button... :cry:

What's up with that yo?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    More importantly, how do we send a thank you note?

Perhaps a letter to that address? :P~

Anyway, I ended up with exactly 110 buttons with about 10 of my avatar left over (I was letting people pick which button they wanted and even gave both if asked nicely).

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
This discussion has been closed.