As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think her attempt she created was pretty awesome (with the trailer park theme, woot! =) ), especially considering how short of a timeframe she had to work with =(

Are you doing Zero suit or the full suit next year Lyanth? For truly, the full Samus suit would be the most awesome thing ever in the history of mankind if you could do it. =) I'm psyched to see it! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think her attempt she created was pretty awesome (with the trailer park theme, woot! =) ), especially considering how short of a timeframe she had to work with =(

Are you doing Zero suit or the full suit next year Lyanth? For truly, the full Samus suit would be the most awesome thing ever in the history of mankind if you could do it. =) I'm psyched to see it! =)

As the Eternal Head-Representative of the LHH--'cause I want to be--she has some AWESOME stuff in mind. Of course, there is plenty of time for everyone to either wait in suspense and/or let it sit in the back of their minds and simmer.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Excellent! =)=) I'll choose to both wait in suspense and simmer on it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, hey guys, Pure Buttons did their writeup on the button trading game:

http://www.purebuttons.com/thebuttonpost/uncategorized/pax-08-button-trading-game-is-a-huge-success/
    PAX ‘08 is over, and we appreciate the opportunity to supply the buttons for all you buttoneers. From the emails and messages we have been receiving, the button trading game was larger than anyone had anticipated, with about 175 different button designs. Some of the amazing button designs are on the penny-arcade forum.

And before we leave you with the video of the presentation of the button case, we would like to once again that all of you for allowing us to be apart of this event. And you should stay tuned, we got some ideas in the works that just might make PAX ’09s button trading game more EPIC than ’08s. We will not let you down.

Theorizing on their ideas, GO!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got a question and I'm sorry if it has been covered in one of the pages here, but I haven't much time lately to keep up: how much money did we raise? How much did the case cost, and how much money did we give to Child's Play, if any? I'm curious to know.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm? Child's Play? Oh!!! With the case money? I had forgotten about that!

Ugh, I'm an idiot, I just realized I forgot to donate to the case fund, too. =( -5 points for utter absent-mindedness. =(

How did the donation total turn out?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Ugh, I'm an idiot, I just realized I forgot to donate to the case fund, too. =( -5 points for utter absent-mindedness. =(

I know it was a huge amount, more than $400 if I'm not mistaken (and I very well may be). I guess that's what happens when you're asking for donations from a group of people who have already shown that they're willing to spend money on something fun. I'm pretty sure that effing awesome custom case we had made wasn't cheap, but we could have ~$100 left over.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nice! =) That's awesome!

Aye, I feel like a bit of a tool forgetting to donate after all of that. =( There was so much going on, and for a while I wasn't sure if I could go... I'll toss money toward the next project for certain. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I mounted all my buttons yesterday. Maybe when my phone isn't dead I'll post a pic. :)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love how a good half of the pictures with my pin in it, its upside down. :P

Common... Nobody knows that Skeith stands... well, upside down?

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Brian, I totally mounted your button upside down, noticed it, and went "eh." I should fix that...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I have a question. Right now I am waiting on my house to be rebuilt and we are looking at a finish date of april/may depending on weather. What I want to know is, once I get into my house where the heck am I gonna put all of these buttons? Are you guys putting them in cases, hanging them on something, or are they like mine and still in a plastic bag? I wanna display them when I am able, I am just not sure how the heck I am gonna do it. So what are you guys/gals doing with your buttons?

Rayman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rayman wrote: »
    Ok, I have a question. Right now I am waiting on my house to be rebuilt and we are looking at a finish date of april/may depending on weather. What I want to know is, once I get into my house where the heck am I gonna put all of these buttons? Are you guys putting them in cases, hanging them on something, or are they like mine and still in a plastic bag? I wanna display them when I am able, I am just not sure how the heck I am gonna do it. So what are you guys/gals doing with your buttons?

Hide them in your walls.

jonxp on
  • Options
    DoubleDayDoubleDay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

Hide them in your walls.

This tactic works for just about anything really.

Depending on how many you got, you can get a decent 1" or so deep frame for relatively cheap,

DoubleDay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DoubleDay wrote: »

Hide them in your walls.

This tactic works for just about anything really.

Depending on how many you got, you can get a decent 1" or so deep frame for relatively cheap,

I guess I should elaborate. Hide them in your walls, and then come up with a complex series of clues to lead future generations to the treasure. Sorta like National Treasure, except a much cooler discovery than just money and artifacts.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess I should elaborate. Hide them in your walls, and then come up with a complex series of clues to lead future generations to the treasure. Sorta like National Treasure, except a much cooler discovery than just money and artifacts.
    But they might interfere with all of the Cat 6 cable we are gonna have in the walls...

Rayman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But they might interfere with all of the Cat 6 cable we are gonna have in the walls...

Nah, just be REALLY careful when you're attaching the pins to the cable.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Does that mean we need galss walls now so we can enjoy them?

Rayman on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have absolutely no idea what the hell to do with all my buttons. I've been wracking my brain about it, to think of something cool. I'll probably end up having a friend paint some foamboard or something into a cool background for deh buttons.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Does that mean we need galss walls now so we can enjoy them?

Only if you put away the slingshots!

jonxp on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I know it was a huge amount, more than $400 if I'm not mistaken (and I very well may be). I guess that's what happens when you're asking for donations from a group of people who have already shown that they're willing to spend money on something fun. I'm pretty sure that effing awesome custom case we had made wasn't cheap, but we could have ~$100 left over.

Thanda's under the weather right now, but I'll bug him to post the figures as much as possible. From what I remember, at one point when talking to the spider guys (the people who made the case) the case was going to cost more then what was raised. But they said that they were going to eat the extra costs. But I think that's old news, so hopefully the real news is something better.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I took one of the t-shirts i got at pax and put them on that, and i'm going to hang it up soon

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alright, so I love buttons, and I have 3 buttons ideas for 2009, maybe 4. We'll see... Okay, maybe 5...

Officer on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, I'm planning my badges for next year, and I won't even be there!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    lol LPM! =)

But don't say "won't" just yet! It's my hope that there'll be something we can help you win to get you guys there. Some kind of international entries allowed contest. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for it!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This... comming from the one who got to go on bioware's ticket... should be encouraging for you :)

What a great community we got here.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    LPM, seriously. You must be at PAX next year. I want to see more of you and your boy. You guys are brilliant to spend time with.

By the gods, I'll start a "Bring LPM to PAX" donations fund if I have to.

Officer on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Officer wrote: »
    LPM, seriously. You must be at PAX next year. I want to see more of you and your boy. You guys are brilliant to spend time with.

I'm all for this idea - you guys are awesome! I have my pic with you guys on Flickr and Facebook.

And you too Mr. Recruit sir!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm all for this idea - you guys are awesome! I have my pic with you guys on Flickr and Facebook.

And you too Mr. Recruit sir!

Oh snap! I've been jiggered!

Officer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    =)=) Woot! Let's make this happen! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OK, just to make it clear, its not a financial issue for me, its an amount of annual leave issue; but it will be for Lewie - he will just have graduated, and will (hopefully) have just started his first full-time job, and won't have had time to save up/ accrue time to take as leave.
    I think its absolutely lovely of you to want us to be there, if we can, we will; we will definitely be there in Boston (being yet another American city I've wanted to go to for some time).
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 to you, though!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So here's a bizarre lol-worthy story...

my buttons finally arrived, close to 3 weeks after PAX! :lol:

The lesson I learned is... buttons with black background and smallish text = NOT READABLE except under really bright light. I need to go for something way, way brighter and more eye catching for my next attempt. On a higher note, my bonus buttons (the Something Awful :awesome: smiley) turned out GREAT and I am going to hang on to them, I got about 64 buttons in the order, of which around 10 had bad alignment of the image, so 50 good-looking buttons!

P.S, huge thanks to Eye-Shuh for giving me a button for nothing in return!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hey I hear some people are looking for ways to mount their buttons. Here's what I did and it was ridiculously easy.

I went to a craft store and bought some foam. (it was about 10$) The size I got was perfect but you could always trim it if you need a smaller size.

Then I cut some plywood to the same size as the foam.

I found some black fabric and cut a rough rectangle, big enough to cover the face of the foam and the sides, and including an extra couple of inches to staple.

I used a staple gun and streched the cloth around the foam and wood, kind of like a canvas.

http://painting.about.com/od/oilpainting/a/stretch_canvas.htm - the image on the right hand side of the site shows the order in which you should staple the fabric.

After I was done I trimmed the extra fabric and this is what I got. Except for getting the materials, it took less than 30 mins.. the hardest part was probably putting all the buttons on. :)
    media1.jpeg

I hope this helps!

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love how in any collection of buttons that has my button in it, mine jumps right out atcha.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love how in any collection of buttons that has my button in it, mine jumps right out atcha.

lol maybe that's because you're looking for it.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sumi wrote: »

lol maybe that's because you're looking for it.

Quiet you... Whateva, maybe I am! :P

Officer on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here, I'll deflate that ego, and say that I lost track of how many people I had to explain what your button was referencing to.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Doesn't make me feel any worse. Just makes me feel bad for the people who are ignorant of the awesomeness of Reboot.

Nor did I ever say mine was one of the best. Personally, I think there were some unbelievably badass ones. Mine was just one of the most easily spotted among a collection because it has bright colors.

Officer on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Doesn't make me feel any worse. Just makes me feel bad for the people who are ignorant of the awesomeness of Reboot.

Nor did I ever say mine was one of the best. Personally, I think there were some unbelievably badass ones. Mine was just one of the most easily spotted among a collection because it has bright colors.

I love Reboot but I did not notice your button was Reboot oriented. I just thought it was a design you chose.

I totally see it now though.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    [Slightly off topic] I liked this button thing so much I made some 2.25" buttons for my company picnic. PureButtons did a great job!
    20080906_ClickPicnicButton.jpg

DJBreslin on
This discussion has been closed.