As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can still get 10% off if you order by October 25, they just emailed me a new discount code, "SLIMMER".

They emailed me about this even though I had placed an order... but I figured I'd pass it along because Jesus Christ guys this show was awesome.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You can still get 10% off if you order by October 25, they just emailed me a new discount code, "SLIMMER".

They emailed me about this even though I had placed an order... but I figured I'd pass it along because Jesus Christ guys this show was awesome.

Ray: Open your stream Egon I think we got this one!

Winston: I told you this thread was rising from its grave!

Egon: This seems to be a class-5 Necro-Post Ray, you're going to have to adjust polarity before it picks up momentum!

Peter: If you ladies are done gossiping could we please trap this thing!? I think I feel my face melting off!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was not going make a whole new thread for that, dude.

Once I get the set I'm gonna post about how sweet it is here, too.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was not going make a whole new thread for that, dude.

Once I get the set I'm gonna post about how sweet it is here, too.

I'm just fuckin' with ya man. I just felt like doin some context-sensitive fan-fiction for a bit.

Thank you for the info, I may actually get this thing after I cash that check tomorrow.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Super necro-post away!

So Time-Life has released a video of what the firehouse-themed box will look like. I'm excited.

Love the animated panels!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is just a really good package design. Makes me wanna dump ectoplasm ontop of it like the old firehouse playset I had.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is just a really good package design. Makes me wanna dump ectoplasm ontop of it like the old firehouse playset I had.

Hell Yeah! Slimed that sucker more times than I can count.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you did end up ordering the set from Time-Life, call them to make sure your pre-order doesn't get canceled, because their system is stupid and doesn't distinguish between pre-orders and back-orders, so since the set was delayed a lot of pre-orders are being automatically canceled.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I started watching the Cthulhu episodes and I was surprised how well it held up all these years. The music, as mentioned, is fantastic, and the show still manages to be kinda creepy.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm gonna buy it most-likely after Christmas when I have lots of stuff and some spending money.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I come into any sizeable amount of money this christmas, I'm totally buying this instead of cigarettes and chinese food.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is pretty awesome. I'm so in, just as soon as I can afford it (which won't be till after new years, likely).

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    god I preordered this in august

can't wait

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    god I preordered this in august

can't wait

Make sure to call them up tomorrow and verify your order is still on, TLB. I'd hate for a cool dude like you to miss out on this shit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh I did a few weeks ago

though they pushed back shipping to November 25th

but it's free FedEx

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man it's estimated for me for 12-31.... :(

Also how did you get free shipping?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh the shipping isn't free at all

they just upgraded all orders to Fed Ex for free since they pushed it back so close to the release date

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In further Real Ghostbusters news, the first two episodes are on Comcast OnDemand, with more sure to follow.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antimatter wrote: »
    In further Real Ghostbusters news, the first two episodes are on Comcast OnDemand, with more sure to follow.

holy God yes.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Guys I just got my set in the mail.

It is sooooo awesome. I might take some pictures of it later to show you all, but right now I'm just watching some extras and then am going to watch the first disc.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's the one based on the movies not the one with the f'ing gorilla right?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Dark, does it have anything about the Extreme Ghostbusters on it? because that would be rad!

Bucketman on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »
    That's the one based on the movies not the one with the f'ing gorilla right?

what the hell kind of question is this

get the hell out of here

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So Dark, does it have anything about the Extreme Ghostbusters on it? because that would be rad!

Well considering the Extreme Ghostbusters is a different property made about a decade after The Real Ghostbusters, I don't think you should be surprised that it isn't included in this set.

However, in an interview on one of the discs Maurice LaMarche does mention it.

Guys did I mention that the box this set comes in looks like the Ghostbusters' firehouse, and that all the discs come in steelbook cases? It's really slick.

I watched the first two episode and if I ever saw them I certainly don't remember them. Apparently the episodes in the first season for the network all have songs by some artist called "Tahiti", and they dropped the songs in later seasons to cut back on costs (according to another interview). You learn something new every day...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I need this set. If my bank account didn't keep stealing my money for not having enough money I would get it.

Maybe sometime next month.

It'll be my Christmas present to myself.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Paying in installments is good.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    God damn this is like the best 80s cartoon ever.

A lot of the SatAM shows from our youth haven't held up very well against the test of time. I can't stand watching the original Transformers cartoon outside of the film, for example. But The Real Ghostbusters is different. One of the writers said that they never approached the show as a show "for kids" but tried to target it at teenagers and young adults, and it really shows.

The monster designs are fantastic, the humor is great, the animation is higher-quality than a lot of shows from the time. This is like the best nostalgia purchase I have ever made. When it was on television I was so young I can't even remember the episodes except for the scant few that we had on VHS, and the Boogeyman episode summary from the Viewmaster discs we had. So pretty much all these episodes are brand-new to me. So maybe I can't count it totally as nostalgia? Oh come on, I had a Ghostbusters jumpsuit I wore in public all the time when I was four years old, of course this is nostalgic.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I Loved that show so much back in the day. Anything where characters get morphed into weird stuff usually piques my interest, and Ghostbusters had that sort of thing almost every other episode.

Like the Grundel, which possesses that kid and tries to turn him into one of his own kind.

Or the time Egon gets possessed by a ghost and goes all crazy, or when he gets bit by a werechicken.

or when a cartoon gets loose into the town and everybody starts turning into cartoons animals, including most of the ghostbusters, and Egon turns into a chicken again for some reason. (Recurring theme?)

Or when slimer was turning into an actually scary ghost, in a jeckel/hyde fashion.

That was just a bonus, though. The cartoon was great in every regard, whatever the story was.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Like the forth ep or something, Venkman gets possessed by a demon named Wot and there is some hella freaky lighting on his close-ups when he is talking all possessed-like.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

A lot of the SatAM shows from our youth haven't held up very well against the test of time. I can't stand watching the original Transformers cartoon outside of the film, for example. But The Real Ghostbusters is different. One of the writers said that they never approached the show as a show "for kids" but tried to target it at teenagers and young adults, and it really shows.

The monster designs are fantastic, the humor is great, the animation is higher-quality than a lot of shows from the time. This is like the best nostalgia purchase I have ever made. When it was on television I was so young I can't even remember the episodes except for the scant few that we had on VHS, and the Boogeyman episode summary from the Viewmaster discs we had. So pretty much all these episodes are brand-new to me. So maybe I can't count it totally as nostalgia? Oh come on, I had a Ghostbusters jumpsuit I wore in public all the time when I was four years old, of course this is nostalgic.

This explains so much

SO MUCH

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, there was one episode where this totally unstoppable ghost turned out to be a guy who had messed with some locked chest that wasn't meant to be taken, and he was turned into it's guardian.

So to fix things, they put the chest back and the monster turns back into a guy, only now he's dead so he just passes on. Kind of bittersweet.

Also bittersweet was the ghost train engineer who hijacks a train and changes it's course so it's going to crash, just so he can put it right again to stop it from crashing and make up for failing to stop the crash that killed him.

Ghostbusters had a shit ton of one-shot characters with some fucked up personal history, and always self-contained stories. You don't see that kind of writing a lot in today's cartoons.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited November 2008

This explains so much

SO MUCH

What does it explain exactly

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I too had my own Ghostbusters jumpsuit. It's the only thing my mother has ever sewed for me. I think I was around 8 when she made it. Best halloween costume ever when you combine it with a PKE meter and a proton pack.

1zn4zlz.jpg

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You gotta sew the logo back on dude.

Can't have your childhood in disrepair. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't sew. I think it was glued on initially anyway.

Don't cry though, I have a new, grown-up version that I made for Halloween. I'm currently planning out a harness I can make for my iPod and a pair of mini-speakers that looks like an EKG reader.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This cartoon did not age well for me.

Meiz on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I also had a GB suit as a child, my grandmother made it for me on Christmas. I wore it too the haunted house in Halloween of that year in full gear (Goggles, Trap, Pack, PKE Meter).

So is the RGB box set a limited editon or is it going to be something TimeLife keeps in production so long as the demand stays up?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also, there was one episode where this totally unstoppable ghost turned out to be a guy who had messed with some locked chest that wasn't meant to be taken, and he was turned into it's guardian.

So to fix things, they put the chest back and the monster turns back into a guy, only now he's dead so he just passes on. Kind of bittersweet.

Also bittersweet was the ghost train engineer who hijacks a train and changes it's course so it's going to crash, just so he can put it right again to stop it from crashing and make up for failing to stop the crash that killed him.

Ghostbusters had a shit ton of one-shot characters with some fucked up personal history, and always self-contained stories. You don't see that kind of writing a lot in today's cartoons.

The Sherlock Holmes episode is one of those that makes you go D: at the end.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So is the RGB box set a limited editon or is it going to be something TimeLife keeps in production so long as the demand stays up?

I'm confidant saying it's not limited edition, but I don't know how long a wait you're going to have if you order it now/after Christmas, seeing as it just came out and all the pre-orders are being filled.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I'm confidant saying it's not limited edition, but I don't know how long a wait you're going to have if you order it now/after Christmas, seeing as it just came out and all the pre-orders are being filled.

I don't care when i get it, so long as they keep making it and I can.

MagicPrime on