As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bangai-O Spirits

• Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    Why do people go crazy over Treasure? I've never really gotten it.
    Do you like shooting stuff?

If not, I can understand not "getting it".

Seol on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    err, bestbuy is saying the 19th for this now... does anyone have any further information about this discrepancy?

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's the deal with this game? Gamestop/Ebgames say that it's ready to ship if you order online, but there are no brick&mortar stores that have the game.

Bestbuy shows it shipping the 19th or something.

Other stores either don't have it or show some odd date like 2-6 weeks or something.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope this has the same musical menu that the original had. That thing kept me amused so much longer than it was meant to.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    has anyone been able to find this yet?

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Comes out tomorrow for me (shipped today). I'm going to hop over to Gamestop, chances are they have one or two copies.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    What's the deal with this game? Gamestop/Ebgames say that it's ready to ship if you order online, but there are no brick&mortar stores that have the game.

Bestbuy shows it shipping the 19th or something.

Other stores either don't have it or show some odd date like 2-6 weeks or something.

Ship date was today. Arrives in store tomorrow. The usual.

Got my reservation call tonight. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shit yes

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope my credit card comes soon. I really want to get this game.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I hope my credit card comes soon. I really want to get this game.

.... not a good tradeoff. Even for Bangai-O.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    agh! my gamestop still doesn't have this.

anyone else had any luck?

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

Picked it up this afternoon. My Gamestop only received one copy, which I snagged before they had the chance to gut it and plaster it with stickers.

Crossposting impressions from elsewhere:

Stages are a lot shorter, but harder, and there's lots more of them. Not even the Core bosses are *total* pushovers anymore. (They reflect your shots back at you if you aren't right next to them.)

A lot of the challenge in certain stages just comes from figuring out what weapons you're supposed to be using. (Hint: Napalm > NinjaBots)

Not really keen on having to collect fruit to recharge your super weapon, and I'm having to adjust a little bit to only having up to 3 of them stored at a time, but these changes were probably done for difficulty-balancing purposes and aren't bothering me too much.

The DC game is a very carefree, relaxing, almost cathartic game. There's a lot more action onscreen in the DC version than in Spirits, but it's a much more laid back game. In the DC version, your "EX" bar recharges automatically as you destroy stuff (you don't have to collect fruit for it), so as long as you only use it when you actually need to, you never run out of super shots. You don't have to aim or charge them either. It's a blast to play, but not a whole lot of thinking is required and very rarely is it challenging at all.

The core gameplay of Spirits isn't much different, but the controls are so much more complex (while thankfully not being counter-intuitive) and there's a lot more variety in enemies and situations. I'm starting to get the Wario Ware comparisons. One stage I was playing earlier just drops you into a tiny little field with 6 huge robots that rush in and surround you on all sides and destroy you faster than you can say "Huh?" Took me about 8 retries of foolishly trying to figure out a good weapon configuration and battle strategy before I noticed that a few dozen soccer balls are placed right below your starting point and are much more effective tools for clearing that stage.

Only real drawback is that there isn't much story dialogue and it's not as wacky as the first game.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm seems like they changed what I like so much about Bangai-O.... It really sucks that Bangai-O is like the only game (I care about anayway) that doesn't support the vga adapter. (which is how I have my DC hooked up)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yea, I got the pre-order call last night, but apparently the game didn't come in today. I guess I'm one of three pre-order customers who are pretty pissed. :P

Really, I'll live. I'm just annoyed there was no more communication from the corporate level. My bad for not buying Madden instead. ;-)

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bangai-o was one of my favorite DREAMCAST games. I think I'm gonna go play it now.

Srsly.
    IT'S A DESSERT TOPPING YOU COW!

I never messed with my N64 to get it "import ready" (it's supposed to be easy, right?). :-(

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gamefly decided to ship this out 2 days before they said it was available, thus fucking up my scheme to send something back today and have it received/ship Bangai-O tomorrow. Now it's at low availability.

sigh

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    WinyderWinyder Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Snagged the only copy at one of the Gamestop's this evening. So far, the lack of a true story mode is just a little irking, but meh. We all play this to see giant missles fly out of our robot and cloud the screen. This strikes me as a good quick game to play between rounds of CivRev on the flight out to PAX.

Speaking of, anyone actually try out the multiplayer on this? Some of the stages strike me as being designed to be hit by four different guys at once.

Winyder on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is pissing me off to no end because the controls dont seem to make any sense, even the stuff in the tutorial doesn't seem to translate into the actual game, If I have break assigned to Y, and Bounce assigned to B, WTF DOES IT FIRE BOUNCE WHEN I PRESS Y OR B OR Y AND B TOGETHER, IT DOESN'T MIX, IT JUST FIRES THE GOD DAMNED BOUNCE MISSLES, I HATE YOU BANGAI-O I HATE YOU SO MUCH. /vent

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    metal_spidermetal_spider Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is pissing me off to no end because the controls dont seem to make any sense, even the stuff in the tutorial doesn't seem to translate into the actual game, If I have break assigned to Y, and Bounce assigned to B, WTF DOES IT FIRE BOUNCE WHEN I PRESS Y OR B OR Y AND B TOGETHER, IT DOESN'T MIX, IT JUST FIRES THE GOD DAMNED BOUNCE MISSLES, I HATE YOU BANGAI-O I HATE YOU SO MUCH. /vent

This got me initially as well.

You'll have to tap Y+B (and similarly L+R) for the weapon fusion to disengage. The hypen joining both weapons/EXs will toggle on and off to indicate whether they are fused together or can be fired off separately.

ie
    Linked : Bounce-Homing (able to fire off a combined shot using either Y or B)
    Unlinked : Bounce Homing (Y fires off bounce, B fires off homing)

metal_spider on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there's no civet fruit I don't want to go on.

august on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Only real drawback is that there isn't much story dialogue and it's not as wacky as the first game.

:|

august on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is stupid hard, but now that I've gotten a little more used to it, I don't hate it as passionately as I initially did.

I *AM* a little annoyed that the game pretty much grinds to a fucking halt on some of the later levels, only to reveal a second or two later that I have in fact died.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the later levels? man, it pretty much grinds to a halt on the first level (fireworks I believe its called) =\ Also,I cant be the only one who found this absolutely hilarious in the tutorial
    "due to screen limitations not all of the projectiles will show up"
    "That sounds like a bug to me!"

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what the heck people?

no matter what area code i type in, gamestop tells me that there are no bangai-o's within a hundred miles!!!!

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm actually a little wary of this because they changed the controls. I really liked the controls in the original.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    tarnok wrote: »
    I'm actually a little wary of this because they changed the controls. I really liked the controls in the original.

If you used the default controls on the DC version, you should be able to adapt easily. If you had to use ABXY controls to get anywhere, you might have some trouble with this.

I never did like the ABXY mode (the face buttons on the DC controller are too far apart for my liking), so it wasn't much of a jump for me. You just need to practice a little bit to figure out how to switch between all the aiming modes:

- press a direction and then immediately hold the shot button = you will continue shooting in that same direction but can freely move the ship in any direction
    - hold down the firing button and THEN start moving = free shot, both the ship and your aiming will correspond to any further directional inputs
    - double tap the shot button and hold it down after the second tap = you will lock yourself in place and can aim in any direction while standing still

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tarnok wrote: »

If you used the default controls on the DC version, you should be able to adapt easily. If you had to use ABXY controls to get anywhere, you might have some trouble with this.

I never did like the ABXY mode (the face buttons on the DC controller are too far apart for my liking), so it wasn't much of a jump for me. You just need to practice a little bit to figure out how to switch between all the aiming modes:

- press a direction and then immediately hold the shot button = you will continue shooting in that same direction but can freely move the ship in any direction
    - hold down the firing button and THEN start moving = free shot, both the ship and your aiming will correspond to any further directional inputs
    - double tap the shot button and hold it down after the second tap = you will lock yourself in place and can aim in any direction while standing still

I don't remember changing the controls, but I remember the controls being like having two d-pads, one controlling your robot and the other the direction you shoot. What you describe sounds much more complicated.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, I find that if you press and hold the fire button, then move, the Bangai-O starts auto targeting stuff, which is good for getting rid of those couple stray shots that usually hit. It's even better for circling stationary baddies, since eventually you stop targeting their bullets and start hitting them.

I think the reason the game seems really hard at first is because it's basically trial by (missile) fire. I haven't played the DC version before, so I go in playing thinking it's like a normal SHUMP, which leads to getting WTFPWNED. Now I've gotten used to the whole "bomb the fuck outta everything" gameplay, playing this game puts a smile on my face like none other.

Oh, and wait till the game introduces the Longai-O. They're ASSHOLES.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what the heck people?

no matter what area code i type in, gamestop tells me that there are no bangai-o's within a hundred miles!!!!

It would. If a store got it yesterday, it would tell you today that there are copies. All the store locater can tell you is whether there were any copies of a title at close of business the day before. Most stores seem to not have gotten them... those that did only got a couple, and probably sold them. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    daaaanngggggg man.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    simsidesimside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This got me initially as well.

You'll have to tap Y+B (and similarly L+R) for the weapon fusion to disengage. The hypen joining both weapons/EXs will toggle on and off to indicate whether they are fused together or can be fired off separately.

ie
    Linked : Bounce-Homing (able to fire off a combined shot using either Y or B)
    Unlinked : Bounce Homing (Y fires off bounce, B fires off homing)

This got me too, except tapping the buttons together sometimes doesn't work, plus I can't really tell the difference between these and when it's better to use one over the other, or when you have time to use them when you're not bombing.

I'm seriously failing at this game so badly that I get embarrassed playing it by myself. After getting pretty fed up with playing the tutorials again and again and trying to learn the controls, I had 17 stages worth of lessons on call in my memory for about 3 seconds before I got blown up in the first area. :| I had to shut it off after that.

I'm normally really good at shooters, even bullet hell shooters, but this... this is like having my pants pulled down in front of the class and having those kids I used to beat up like Donpachi, Ikaruga, and Strikers 1945 laugh at me.

simside on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    Why do people go crazy over Treasure? I've never really gotten it.

The vast majority of their games have been of exceedingly good quality, many of them considered to be true classics of the platforms of their release. In fact, I can't even think of a single Treasure game that wasn't good.

Stretch Panic was pretty atrocious. Also, Silpheed could be considered average if you wanted to be extremely generous.

Otherwise, they are gold.

I loved Stretch Panic. It doesn't feel like a complete game, but the actual bosses are amazing. Silpheed was meh.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well that's dissapointing to hear. I could accept the reduction in 400 screen clearing missiles but having to collect fruit to recharge your super meter? Lame.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I never played the original, but most levels have so much fruit you can pretty much constantly spam your EX anyway so I don't see how it could be that big of a deal.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never played the original, but most levels have so much fruit you can pretty much constantly spam your EX anyway so I don't see how it could be that big of a deal.

I think the real problem is that the DS simply cannot handle rendering the game properly.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I think the real problem is that the DS simply cannot handle rendering the game properly.

Neither could the Dreamcast, though.

If this game didn't slow down on massive missile barrages, it'd be close to impossible.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    simside wrote:
    I'm normally really good at shooters, even bullet hell shooters, but this... this is like having my pants pulled down in front of the class and having those kids I used to beat up like Donpachi, Ikaruga, and Strikers 1945 laugh at me.
    I think the reason for that is that in those games you just mentioned, bombing is treated as if you're covering for mistakes, or in Ikaruga, used strategically. In Bangai-O, you're able to maintain an almost constant bombing spam, which sometimes you NEED to do. Almost everything that blows up drops fruit, and if you time your bombing right, most of the time nothing's is left between you and the fruit.

Estoc on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As far as gameplay goes, is this very similar to the Dreamcast game? I've heard good things about the DC game, but its pretty hard to get, and I'm afraid I'll go through the trouble for nothing if I don't like it. Is the DS game a good way to try it out, before making the commitment to the DC version?

Dirty on
  • Options
    simsidesimside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Estoc wrote: »
    simside wrote:
    I think the reason for that is that in those games you just mentioned, bombing is treated as if you're covering for mistakes, or in Ikaruga, used strategically. In Bangai-O, you're able to maintain an almost constant bombing spam, which sometimes you NEED to do. Almost everything that blows up drops fruit, and if you time your bombing right, most of the time nothing's is left between you and the fruit.

Yeah, I think that's my problem, it's sort of backwards to what I'm used to, and I'm constantly afraid of bombing and running down my gage even though that's the point. It's going to take some getting used to.

simside on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, your EX weapon is your primary weapon in Bangai-O. The main method of combat is to purposely throw yourself into dagerous situations and time your EX counterattack so that it fires off as many shots as possible.

I hardly ever bothered with normal shots in the DC game unless extra precision and care was absolutely necessary. (It usually isn't.)

Sixfortyfive on