As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL Thread - Favreth Down, Favre Yards to go.

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    shimsham

what was your take on the game against the bengals last night?

Rodg
    - Impressive. I liked how he looked a lot. He's got a hell of an arm but needs to take it down just a little bit because our receivers are having trouble hanging on to it, there were a ton of bobbled catches from guys that were some of the best receivers about making great catches last year. He made a few bad throws, mostly good ones though, and the INT wasn't really his fault from what I could see. I think once Jennings is in there it'll help.

Defense - It was basically 60% 1st string, 40% 2nd string and on down last night. With that said, while most of the starters were in, the the defense was really, really good. Our linebackers looked great, Barnett made a ton of great tackles. Our backup cornerbacks looks great but it looked like a lot of their plays were lucky because they flat out didn't see a lot of the throws until it was almost too late. Still liked what they were able to do. Can't wait to see all the starters.

Offense - Offensive line bothered me a bit, but I don't remember which of the starters actually played, and I doubt they would be going at full strength anyway. Brandon Jackson made a lot of great plays by breaking tackles and not giving up, I love that and hope he can be a sufficient backup to Grant and challenge for the job.

Brohm and Flynn - Disappointing but they're rookies so I wasn't expecting much. Brohm didn't get as much time in there, but even after settling down a bit he was still throwing way too high and making bad decisions. Flynn was off and on all night, mostly just all bad decision making. I think the team needs to find a veteran backup for this year until those two have caught up.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    as somebody who has seen brohm play pretty much every year of his college career (against Marshall or WVU) i can honestly say that i am looking forward to what he is capable of

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    as somebody who has seen brohm play pretty much every year of his college career (against Marshall or WVU) i can honestly say that i am looking forward to what he is capable of
    I hope so, I totally understand him struggling with his very first taste of an NFL defense. (lolbengals) I didn't watch Louisville play that much while he was there but I know he's capable.

I think Flynn will be better sooner, but I think Brohm has more potential in the long run. I think it'll be night and day for him between this preseason and the 2009 preseason.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ESPN First take created Skip Bayless and recorded a video of T.O catching a ball over him and then shoving him down.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    get back to work, butters

no madden for you

No you get back to work!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Waiting for Madden was boring last night. But playing Madden is pretty great.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ultimately I'm glad I waited until this morning. I was there at like 8:30 and they had a million copies and I got out with no line.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I played a ton last night and then flat out passed out.

Still happy because my first achievement in the game was because I did a Lambeau Leap.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm probably going to use him as my QB this year for my offline Niners franchise.

Also, one of my co-workers went to Fred Meyer at 7am and bought the special edition...its sitting on his desk...taunting me...

LTM on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoa, how do you do the celebrations?

Also, I just went out on my lunch break and picked up the collector's edition.

Mostly just for Madden '93

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will be getting this soon

that is if my podunk ass wal-mart has the collector's edition

here's hopin'

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When you score a TD there will sometimes be blue block areas that appear on the field or near the crowd. Run up to those areas and you do special celebrations.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    LTM on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh hells yes.

Sorry Jordyn

Oh hells yes.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TheHandofHorowitzTheHandofHorowitz Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    The name Twenty-Favre Inch Pythons is now my fantasy footbal team name.

YOINK!

TheHandofHorowitz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Are we waiting a couple of days for the league to be set up?

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    I hope so, since I won't be able to pick this up until thursday

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would imagine that you could start the league, and then leave it in a state of a limbo for a while, while everyone gets the game/accepts the invite to the league.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I some how have to magically get decent at this game.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nah, its more fun failing miserably.

If you're worried about winning you can't just run an offense entirely based around the world's wackiest trick plays...

LTM on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't be too concerned, I am HORRIBLE, and I have heard other people make disparaging remarks about their own skills.

Seriously though I am really bad at least at 08.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    oh, I'm terrible as all hell

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, several people can't get the game until this weekend so I'm waiting.

Plus it'll give people some time to get more comfortable playing before jumping into the game.

I'm looking to set it up on Saturday or Sunday. I'll try to post here a bit and see if people want to wait.

I'm busy until 4 pm CST today but I'll be up for playing some random games with PAers later today.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Yeah, several people can't get the game until this weekend so I'm waiting.

Plus it'll give people some time to get more comfortable playing before jumping into the game.

unacceptable

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LTM wrote: »

Oh fucking awesome.

Just delightful.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I love the receiving in this game. There have been several occasions where I call a simple curl, time the throw just perfectly and catch it with enough space for me to juke the corner, or break a poor tackle and run for a big gain. Doesn't happen every time, usually I'm tackled right away, or the safety gets to me, but it happens enough for me to feel awesome.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oh man in nhl 09 they changed it to like an mmo online apparently

you make a dude and take him online, and you can do 6 vs 6 all human controlled

this has a chance to be awesome or terrible

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    One think I like is that Madden 09 looks so god damn pretty. I think I could sit and watch replays all day.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So has it been mentioned how utterly wrong I was about Online Leagues? Because I am sorely disappointed.

Anyway, my G&T league is up, so if you're itching to join one (YES, you have to JOIN, there are no invites) head on over to my Madden thread and claim a team that is still open.

And now to throw in Head Coach and draw up my own plays.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, my boss saw my copy of the collector's edition and told me that he did indeed pick it up when he went out to look at carpeting.

Then we talked about the game for a while and then he came back over a few minutes later to tell me that his wife's mother was sick and therefore he has to work from home.

You bet your ass I'll be watching live.xbox.com to see if is playing Madden.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gamespy gives a generally glowing review, but says this:
    A really annoying AI flaw has crept into nearly every game we've played thus far, so it bears mentioning. When the CPU makes a grab, and sees nothing but daylight to the endzone, they'll often run towards the sideline and out of bounds. Even when they only have a few steps of momentum taking them to the sideline, they'll still walk out when they could have easily turned it upfield for an easy ten yards or a score. Receivers will also attempt sideline catches when they're clearly out of bounds, or a few yards away from the sidelines.

Anyone encounter this yet?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    So, my boss saw my copy of the collector's edition and told me that he did indeed pick it up when he went out to look at carpeting.

Then we talked about the game for a while and then he came back over a few minutes later to tell me that his wife's mother was sick and therefore he has to work from home.

HA HA HA HA HA! Catch him red handed and blackmail him.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »

HA HA HA HA HA! Catch him red handed and blackmail him.

Being the Vice President of Technical Services gives him a decent amount of leeway.

Plus I'm heading out a half hour early too, but my excuse is because I have to go by the car dealership.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I should try that sometime. I pass by like 5 dealerships on my way to and from work every day.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I actually do have to go, that's the sucky part.

So I won't be playing Madden any earlier.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gonna get this in a few hours. Still kinda sad I have to trade Brawl to get it

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nobody plays games on the Wii.

Duh.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I might trade-in Halo 3 and CoD 4 for this, since I never play either one

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I might trade-in Halo 3 and CoD 4 for this, since I never play either one

I don't how much you can get for Halo but you can get $22 for CoD4 at gamestop. Which is why I traded Brawl cause that was $30

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.