As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Computer

pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
When I went off to college, my parents bought me a computer, and it happens to be the Compaq Presario SR1620NX (http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq-presario-sr1620nx/4507-3118_7-31589079.html).

The link has all the specs. I know very basic things about computers, and I don't play video games that are extremely graphic intense (I play Counter-Strike 1.6 + Source, HL2, TF2).

Throughout the years I have upgraded the video card to a GeForce Nvidia 6600 and have acquired some more ram (still less than 1 gig). I run TF2 at about 10-20 fps (it's terrible, but I love the game).

When I got home after the school year was over, my computer's fan started making a lot of noise (not loud or sporadic clicking), and I've checked for any wires in the way but there is nothing wrong. I blew the dust out and it still makes a lot of noise.

Also, my internet isn't working. Our internet connection is fine, and there is nothing wrong with our firewall (at least I don't think there is). It just simply says: "A network cable is unplugged".

I would like to do a few things to my computer, and I think I will need help with a lot of it:

-Upgrade my ram (how much ram is enough? I plan on buying at least 2 gigs, but if more is necessary, I can do that. Also, I don't need much help with this one, because I already know what ram to buy and where, thanks to the tech. forum in G&T.)
-Replace my fan: How do I do this? What do I need to know? My fan's length is 70mm.
-Get my internet working: I'm thinking about re-formatting my computer. I honestly don't know why my internet isn't working.
-Updgrade Video card: Most bang for my buck. I would like to run TF2 at a stable 40-60 fps on low/medium settings. How pretty something looks isn't that important to me.

I know I can pay for the ram, and I heard fans aren't that expensive, what can I do for a graphics card? I'd like to spend at most $150.

Also, there's a Build Your Own Computer thread on G&T, and there's a cheap one for around 400 dollars. Am I just better off going with that? I can't imagine myself upgrading my computer to a much better degree, or getting a really good one in the future. The game I'ev played consistently for the past 5 years was CS 1.6, and now I've picked up TF2 for a few months. HL2 I only need to play when a new one comes out, so I don't really need to look so far ahead. Computer games comes 4th or 5th out of all my favorite things to do. But I'd still like a decept FPS for TF2.

Thanks for your help.

pinenut_canary on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Two gigs is about all you really need. Replacing a fan is easy as hell. Just go to best buy or someplace and grab a 70mm fan, unscrew your current one, and plug the new one back in.

If the internet isn't working, it's possible the ethernet port is dead. That happened to my dad's computer and we had to buy a new ethernet card. Now, that doesn't mean that's what's wrong, but since it says that it's unplugged, that'd be my first guess.

SniperGuy on