As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

you tard, i tard, we all tard for YouTards (youtube thread)

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dunno. I kind of like him.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, he's likable, but he's still an asshole.

Tam on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like how at one point the camera is far enough back that you can see he's holding a drink.

I love the idea of this motherfucker showing up for a videotaped rebuttal half-cut on rye.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    WidepathWidepath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Widepath on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how Hitchens is being an asshole there
    he's making a specific assertion that women tend not to be that funny, and that's because they don't need to be
    he takes care to explain that he's not saying there are no successful women comedians, but that those women that do succeed tend to emulate male comedians in many respects

I don't agree with him entirely, but I think he's more or less correct that humor does not come as naturally to women as it does to men

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    damn you and your rationality, druhim

Tam on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    he's making a specific assertion that women tend not to be that funny, and that's because they don't need to be
    he takes care to explain that he's not saying there are no successful women comedians, but that those women that do succeed tend to emulate male comedians in many respects

I don't agree with him entirely, but I think he's more or less correct that humor does not come as naturally to women as it does to men

I think it also stems from how men are far less reserved when it comes to being completely disgusting. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have fart jokes.

And to his point about how genuinely funny women are usually dykes, or at least a little butch, well I can't argue that either; The funniest women comic I've ever seen, Elvira Kurt, is a lesbian.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited November 2008
    The only thing that he says that I'd like to see expanded (maybe I should read the article...) is his inclusion of "Jewish humour" in that list.

What the fuck is Jewish humour, anyway? I mean, I realize many comedians or comedy writers are of Jewish descent, but if it was only funny to Jews they wouldn't be popular... and if it was only about Jewish things and the Jewish experience, would the comedy really be that palatable?

I never got that.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I think his opinion that humor is somehow masculine and not feminine is wrong. I don't think he's being a complete asshole, but he's saying something that could be construed as mean due to what, I think, is a misinterpretation of the nature of humor.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    As7 wrote: »

I think his opinion that humor is somehow masculine and not feminine is wrong. I don't think he's being a complete asshole, but he's saying something that could be construed as mean due to what, I think, is a misinterpretation of the nature of humor.

I think you're doing it wrong.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If you gave him an enema he'd be buried in a match box.

Awesome.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The title of the fox segment, alone, is enough to not like these guys before they've even started talking.

Goatmon on

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This is much better science.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was really hoping for that englishman to snap.

Also, do you know how big a bus is?

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

whuh

e: Oh right. I think Hitchens is American now. Or a citizen anyway.

Tam on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    HAHAHAHAHA

what the fuck

Goatmon on

• Options
    Rampant EntityRampant Entity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    science rules

Whenever I hear someone say this I always have the urge to shout out, "BILL BILL BILL BILL."

The theme is burned into my skull.

Rampant Entity on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tam wrote: »

whuh

e: Oh right. I think Hitchens is American now. Or a citizen anyway.

Correct.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    science rules

Whenever I hear someone say this I always have the urge to shout out, "BILL BILL BILL BILL."

Bill Nye had that affect on all of us.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

ITS CRUSHING MEEE!!!

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    science rules

effect

Raneados on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terrible. Just terrible.

Let me play it again just to make sure.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it's not youtube but there's an awesome video on here of a monster truck rally filmed with the tilt-shift technique, so they look like micromachines

there's a pseudo-tiny truckosaurus and everything, it's really cool

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    science rules

effect

shut uuuuuup

Goatmon on

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    no wait watch this oh god

nom nom cat

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh God hahaha is that cat really making those noises?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    doesn't really sound like it

redhead on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hitchens is a professional ass; a shock-comic without the comedy; a quieter, less-successful Fred Phelps.

The dude wrote a book about how Mother Teresa was a crazy cult leader only in it for the money.

People need to be criticized, but that's not what he does. He makes extreme claims and uses purposely incendiary wording. If his goal were to further the causes he claims to in his critiques, he would be working against himself rather aggressively.

Shack value brings publicity, publicity brings sales. I won't give him any more credit than that.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    science rules

effect

shut uuuuuup

itt: Goatmon don't talk English good.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Belruel wrote: »

Two things:
    1) No subtitles means I have no idea what's going on. Yet that dog clearly has the best lines and delivery.
    2) I don't know shit about what's "normal" on Japanese television these days, but black dude with Asian chick? How progressive. I can't think of a single fucking commercial I've seen in North America with that.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not thinking of anything off hand (I haven't kept up with TV in fucking years) but I'm pretty sure there have been at least a few sporratic ads with a couple involving a black dude and a white chick, which amounts to the same thing in America.

Also, here's that ad, with subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtsK5h1plk&feature=related

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Hitchens is a professional ass; a shock-comic without the comedy; a quieter, less-successful Fred Phelps.

The dude wrote a book about how Mother Teresa was a crazy cult leader only in it for the money.

People need to be criticized, but that's not what he does. He makes extreme claims and uses purposely incendiary wording. If his goal were to further the causes he claims to in his critiques, he would be working against himself rather aggressively.

Shack value brings publicity, publicity brings sales. I won't give him any more credit than that.

His book on Mother Theresa by no means called her "crazy"... he said that she exploited her status to get money in order to spread Catholicism.

You're exactly right when you say he uses overly incendiary wording, however, as it sometimes overshadows the fact that he actually otherwise argues with a tremendous amount of rationality and reason. At least, it obscures that fact to those who refuse to listen to what he says beyond his one-liners and attempts at acerbic wit.

I think it's a fallacy to believe that he has nothing to say worth listening to because he says it in an offensive way. If that's the case, then you can dismiss what a rapper says in sociologically relevant music because he curses, or Sartre because he writes in French. Simply because you're unable to appreciate it, understand it, or even find it "in poor taste" doesn't mean it holds no water in rational debate.

Just a note, he also wrote books on how great he thought Jefferson and Orwell were.

To place him as a "shock-comic" is overdoing it. He's using a literary and oratorical style that have been in fairly respectable use for some time. Churchill used it. Nietzsche used it.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He's not a "shock comic", he's less than a shock comic. A shock comic is at least (usually, at least a little) funny. Calling him a "shock comic" wouldn't be overdoing it, it would be giving him credit he doesn't deserve.

How is "If you gave him an enema he'd be buried in a match box." "fairly respectable"? How is naming his book on Mother Theresa after a sexual position "fairly respectable"? He's done work outside of this genre- he at least manages to be more than two-dimensional- but his work in it is what he's known for, what he has chosen to portray himself to be in the public eye. This work isn't reasonable criticism, even if some arguments that could otherwise be used as reasonable criticism are found in it. This is shock value, and it makes any attempt at reasonable criticism of the same figures much more difficult than it should be.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    poor bunny :(

laughingfuzzball on
This discussion has been closed.