Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
The Zephyr Campaign
IC Thread

OOC Thread here

(Pretend there's a really cool introductory world framing piece here, because well... I couldn't think of one. :P)

Brottor Ungart Sheet.
Harmattan, Konstogar
Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
The crisp mountain air carried sound well. Every scream from a civilian's last breath. Every clang of metal against metal. The explosions, you could hear it all. Your city has become an amphitheater of death and destruction, and you were part of the band.

"Brottor! Fall back, NOW!" The captain of the guard orders you towards Gate Chamber. The armies have done what they could. But they simply kept coming. Falling from the sky, black knights. Dust and smoke made it hard to see them, but they were only several feet away. The last of the civilians rush towards your position. The town was lost. A lump of soggy flesh flies into a building beside you. You recognize his face through its pained expression.

"We can't hold them any longer!" A voice cries out. When the Guard realized it was fruitless to try and shoot them out of the sky, they turned the cannons to the ground. Where conventional weapons and tactics failed, magic and gunpowder prevailed.

"Do it!" Another voice calls out from the melee. When that line fell, they would rush into the gate chamber, straight to Gainsfield. If the Highborne weren't too keen on your kind suddenly coming to visit, no doubt they would less than happy to see these guys. The flare is in your hand. All you had to do was throw it.

Quinn Staci Sheet.
Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13
Maybe it was the fires but the town felt weird, dreamy. Standing in the town square the shop fronts glowed orange, the glass fronts exploding from the heat of the flames. Hard to believe a few days ago children were running around this square, old people were feeding birds. Now it was the front of the Merkaban invasion forces.

Reports were made about the Merkabans having Wondrous warriors, beasts of unimaginable power. The few troops and civilians who made it out of Lancet, Gainsfield and other places alive swore to this. But the only thing here were Lowborne regulars. They fought hard for every inch of the town, but there was no question as to the outcome of this fight.

But the Merkabans kept coming. Just ahead, you could make out the outlines of another group of them.

Ewan Stark Sheet.
Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
"...and we will wipe their accursed city off the map. The Merkabans will be made into an example, so that all Lowborne will know that we Highborne, united, are a force to be reckoned with. Today is the day of our Retribution!"

The united grunt of approval within the Dancing Lightning echoes loudly into your head. In the distance, you can hear the same roar coming from all the other warships. This was the largest operation in the history of Zephyr. You hoped you would get back from it. A lot of people died the past few months, many of them your friends. As a scout, you've been among the first to land on islands that the Merkaban attacked.

The Merkabans went from being an "ignorable threat to The Lands Above" to simultaneously pulling off a coordinated assault against the Highborne on the scale of well, this attack. They managed to keep the push going for months, but then they faltered. Even their Wondrous soldiers had their limits. Overstretched and under supplied, the Merkaban assault was doomed to failure. Now it was time to teach them a lesson, one for the history books.

Beneath you, the blue oceans drifted by. The sun was setting on a beautiful day. Massive waves slammed into the Wondrous walls that protected the port city of Merkaba. Those walls wouldn't do much against cannons. Beside you, your fellow scouts sat, waiting eagerly for the coming battle. Your group would be tasked with taking out Merkaban AA installations, so that the others could come.

"Man, I can't wait to see that thing in action." One of the scouts says, and nods out of the open bay.

Lothril Issrin Sheet.
Acacia Island, Acacia - Mage's Guildhouse
Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
"Kill the spy! Kill the spy! Justice for Lancet!"

"They haven't gotten any quieter." Wesley Rodith said. Through the window of the Guild master's office he could see a large crowd gathered. A group of soldiers stood nervously between the mob and its prey.

The guest of honor lay crumpled in the corner of the room. A Merkaban spy, a former friend, the man whose name you would never speak again. He was in your classes, you trained with him. Ie was suspected for some time and a few days ago when he finally slipped up, they got him. He wasn't in the best of shape, having been worked over by a number of individuals who would go unpunished.

"Lothril." The guild master calls your name, snapping you back to attention. "I know that you've felt frustrated over our decision to not allow you to fight along with the Knights, but understand that it was for the best. There is a task that I have for you now, that I feel I could trust you with."

You had a feeling where this was going.

Keegan Lyriao Sheet.
Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Broken Wing
Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Tuesday
"Keegan... no, Nightbird." the man's voice carries across the room as he lays there, staring at you. He is known only as Maestro.

The room you are in matches his pretentious name. At the center, across from where you're standing is a large brazier. Thick smoke billows out of it, a feminine form dancing rather seductively. Its hair flows wildly as she thrusts and pivots, vanishing into vents on the ceiling. Maybe at one time he was a legitimate mage from a respected guild. If he was, he definitely wouldn't have the two guards at the door, their eyes boring white hot into your back.

"You know those rumours, that the Lady ain't here. They're true. The Alabaster Citadel? Home to a goddess? What a lie. A lot of good people died the past few days... yet men like us, we're alive and well... if gods do exist, they have a funny sense of humor."

He makes a gesture, and the dancer turns to face you.

"I got a job for you, Nightbird. One my regulars can't handle. It's right up your alley... one for the history books."

He smiles as the smoky form of the dancer beckons you closer.

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
tastydonuts on
«13456787

Posts

  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Mm." Ewan nods has assent, and grips the hilts of his blades ever tighter. He hates flying, especially in ships as big as the Dancing Lightning. Scientifically, he knows the design is sound, but something so heavy with so many souls on it shouldn't be able to stay aloft.

    Ewan gazes out the bay, and squints into the distance. Trying to make out the Merkaban coastline, in his mind he is already drawing the conflict map.
    Perception Check-
    1d20+7 → [2,7] = (9)

    "So many scouts, so few targets." Ewan casually mentions to the young man next to him, as he leans in closer. "See to it that your hide is your first priority. You can't wear a medal if you're dead." Ewan sighs mightily and closes his eyes, mentally preparing for the drop.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn peers through the smoke, blinking rapidly as he tries to size up the threat approaching him.

    Hefting his morningstar, Quinn spits into the ground. So much destruction, so many civilians killed, and yet the Merkabans had sent a pathetic army to actually occupy the town. What were they thinking? He takes a step forward, blood-stained glass crunching under his boot, and prepares to charge.

    Jebu on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keegan watches the smoke for a moment before responding.

    "History books, eh?" he says casually, walking further into the room. He lifts an ornate vase and turns it over gingerly in his hands. "If there's history to be made, I'm the one that can make it." He turns to Maestro, scanning the room as he does, looking for exits and entry points and interesting shadows, noting it all and storing it away. He's not stupid enough to rob this place, but he can't help but case it all the same. That's just how his eyes see.

    "You have me intrigued, Maestro. Let's hear about this job."

    Denada on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ignoring his commanding officer Brottor doesn't budge. These were his comrades, these were his friends, and now he was being ordered to sentence them to death. Lighting the flare would be as if Brottor had brought the sword down on his comrades himself.

    I should stay here, I should fight. I shouldn't be fleeing like a coward... I can't abandon my people, that is what's most important... This is what has to happen...

    Swearing loudly, Brottor lunges into the melee a final time and then retreats from the combat, looking around for any straggling civilians. Taking the flare in hand he looks out at the destruction the Merkaban were causing, I can't allow them to gain access to the Gate...

    Brottor activates the flare and throws it into the air, with any luck the shells would destroy this division of the Merkaban as well as the Gate. As soon as the flare leave his hand, Brottor turns and enters the Gate.

    "Oh Gods, forgive me..."

    Lardalish on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Harmattan, Konstogar
    Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
    The melee was more like a massacre, you discover as you wade through it again. Your fellow soldiers were holding their own, barely. These things were effecient, ruthless. As soon as an ally got within reach of another, it would strike from behind without even missing a beat. The Merkabans brought devils into battle. But even devils could bleed.

    It would only take seconds for the cannons to zero on your position. The last seconds of your comrades lives. As the heavy wooden doors to the Gate Chamber close, you can hear and feel the thunder of the cannons going off. The Gate Chamber is spacious, and the remaining guards have setup a bulwark at the door. Towards the teleportation gate's circle you can see other guards tamping explosives into the structure's support columns. No doubt this scene was repeating itself in the other Chambers around the city.

    "The last of the civilians have been evacuated, Brottor. Now it's time for you to go." The Captain of the Guard says, as he holds out a sealed scroll for you.

    He looks haggard and worn, his hand is trembling slighty. You lost your unit. He lost most of his battalion, and the night was far from over.

    Quinn Staci
    Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13

    In the distance, you can see another group of Merkaban soldiers. It's a scouting party, same as yours. With the sound crackling fire and combat in the air, they don't hear the sound of your step. However, they can see you just as easily as you've seen them.

    The leader makes a few gestures to his men, who take up a simple line formation. They advance slowly on your position. It was nothing you hadn't seen before. In a fight with equal numbers, Lowborne cowards like the Merkaba didn't stand a chance. The soldiers who were with you draw their weapons, your two artillery take up their proper positions, as well. Looks like the streets were about to get another coating of blood.

    [Roll Initiative!]

    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    The Armada was still about an hour or two away from Merkaba. But in the rapidly darkening sky you can see the city's walls and lights. There were no Merkaban warships in the sky, their fleet having been scattered in the battles leading to this massive assault.

    "I don't need any medals, sir... I just want to out of dodge before they step in." He motions outside.

    The Dancing Lightning was currently nestled within the inner lines, but when the time came the ship would push its core to the limit, flying low to the ground to get the scouts to their designated attack points. With the AA out of the way, the Zephyr's most recent fleet addition, The Conqueror would most assuredly reduce the city of Merkaba to Ash with its two hundred and fifty two cannons. Next to The Conqueror, the Dancing Lighting looked like a toy. The presence of the other battlecruisers and battleships was merely icing on the cake.

    When you finished here, nothing would be left. The Coalition was going to send a message that would cow any of its enemies.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Broken Wing
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    "I can't tell you how happy that makes me, Keegan." Maestro grins as he uncrosses his legs and sits up.

    The guards at the door seem to relax, slightly.

    "So, what do you know about this place, eh, Keegan?*"

    He waits for a response, then continues. "Not enough. I'd bet. I talked up a few of those nutcase Tamerlaine worshippers, asked them about this place. They want to see some 'Collection' that the 'Lady' keeps in this place."

    He makes a gesture and the form moves her body in a way that no dancer could hope to match.

    "Some of the boys were able to get out of this box they're keeping us in, they found it. If I read them right then what they have cooped up in there is well... unimaginable. Now, what I want from there is simple. I can help you along the way to getting in there, but I can't tell you anymore until you commit."
    Passive Knowledge (History) Failed - (11), Roll a check in the OOC for more info.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "What's your name, scout?" Ewan opens his eyes and rests them on the beardless face of the young... boy sitting next to him. How old was Ewan when he was called into service? 16? 17? Only a few years ago, but time moved more slowly when you hung for hours upside down waiting for someone to walk in the door beneath you. This kid seemed like he was barely old enough to like girls, let alone grapple-drop through clouds of flak.

    "Which AA installment are you assigned to?" There was time enough left on the flight to ensure that even if this boy fell, he wouldn't be forgotten.
    Passive Perception/Take 10 check of 17 on the kid. Appearance, equipment, overall mood and disposition, etc.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Even as he was intrigued by the offer presented to him, Lothril couldn't help but stray back to thinking about his "friend" who lay in the corner of the room. He still couldn't believe how much he had trusted this spy. Suddenly, as if pulled by a rope, Lothril returned his attention to the matter at hand. The new offer from his master gripped him, but wondered what sort of errand his master could trust him with.

    "And what sort of task do you have for me, if it isn't fighting with the Knights?" he replies, still with a definite sense of disappointment in his voice.

    kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "I know that the Lady probably has more treasure than you or I can imagine. I also know that what you say is true; she isn't there to sit on it."

    Keegan rubs his chin as if contemplating the offer, even though he already knows what his answer will be. Visions of ancient relics and magical artifacts are dancing in his head. The sparkle of gold and jewels and untold wealth lights up his eyes. This is too good to pass up.

    "Something like this wouldn't be easy. The Caretakers have been a bit, withdrawn lately. Who knows what they're doing behind the scenes."

    After a moment he gives Maestro a devilish grin. "But hey, if it wasn't going to be a challenge, it wouldn't be worth stealing. I'm in."

    Denada on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor takes the sealed letter and salutes the Captain, briefly looking at who it was addressed to before putting it away. Standing at attention, Brottor addresses the Captain, "What about you, sir? If I can speak freely, sir? If you aren't leaving I don't think I should, I can be of help." Remaining at attention, Brottor awaits a response.

    Lardalish on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Harmattan, Konstogar
    Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
    The Captain looks you for a moment then smiles.

    "Our duty is to defend our people, no matter where they may be." You notice behind him the explosives have been set, and now the guards were running fuse wires towards the opposite corner of the chamber. He moves in closer, and continues to speak in a lowered voice.

    "Gainsfield may have been friendly towards us, but they are Highborne. They would never have simply allowed us to take shelter with them. Force was necessary to secure our people. This scroll explains what happened here, and why we have done what we have... that scroll, explains it all."

    THUNK. Dust that had settled into the stone walls of the chamber falls to the ground as the black knights are at the door.

    "You need to get it to their leaders, before any harm befalls our people up there. Go."

    The other Guardsmen take up their positions. The door would only hold for so long.

    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    "Iam. Iam Salom. I've been sent to Eastern Shoreline tower six!" It was one of the first towers. A rather easy one to take. Your pass would take you across the entire city and into an AA tower that also served as a miniature garrison. At least there was some fairness in the world.

    The sunset led into a clear, starry night. The lights of the city mimicked the stars above it. Even the Merkaban premier's compound was fully lit. Your past experience told you that from this distance, you were well within the range of their AA cannons. But not a single shot had been fired. There was no way they could not have seen the Armada approaching. Something was up.

    Lothril Issrin
    Acacia Island, Acacia - Mage's Guildhouse
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    "Fighting with the Knights can be done in a lot of ways, Lothril." Wesley turns from the window.

    "Take, what you're about to do now. I'm sure you've got an idea of what we want from you already. In a few minutes, a carriage will come by to pick up the spy. We're going to escort the prisoner to the port, where the Knights will take him to Foehn for questioning..."

    "*cough* I think... I've been questioned. Quite enough." The Spy speaks between breaths.

    [Insight: Success] But he won't coming with you, master. They were going to run a decoy. Mobs weren't known for their intelligence. With the mob thinned, you would have to get him to the port somehow.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Broken Wing
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    "I can't tell you how happy that makes me."

    "There's a key in there. This key will allow me access to a certain place I need to go to. You will know it when you see it."

    Maestro struts over to the brazier with the dancer, who reaches out to embrace him. He holds his hand up, and with some words she morphs into a shape that is a scale model of the Refugee area of Alabaster Citadel. The smoke 'zooms' in onto the position of a tiny humanoid figure. "You, are here."

    The figure moves along a path until it gets to a door.

    "We know that these doors only open for the Caretakers. They don't talk much, so we got nothing on how they open them. But! None of the other doors are like this. The trick is to get past those doors. I'll leave that to you, master thief." He smiles. "Now the path you're going to take once you get yourself past the doors is simple enough."

    The figurine turns left, then makes a right down a long corridor. It heads up a flight of stairs. You notice there are a few flights of stairs along this corridor, which is split into two levels. It continues along the upper level until it gets to a single door at a dead end. Through that doorway, it turns right. Then it enters another, larger room and the smoke takes up its initial appearance.

    "You got that, right?"

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "May Erathis guide you, Iam. Mind your training. The rest will follow." Without waiting for an answer, Ewan stands. The Lightning should have performed its accelerating dive by now. The rookies should be wretching in the aisles. But the ship hadn't dropped a foot since it leveled off after takeoff. Ewan threw a wary eye at a commander in the aisle on his way to the cockpit.

    "Something wrong, pilot? Far be it from me to complain about the ride being too smooth, but..."

    In his mind, Ewan pictures the worst... Merkaban fighters coming up fast and hard to the rear of the Lightning. This would be the worst time for a mid-air ambush.
    Passive / Take 10 -> 17 perception check against the pilots attitude.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keegan stares at nothing for a few moments while he commits the directions to memory.

    "Piece of cake," he says, turning his eyes to Meastro. "Do you have any other information for me? Any guards or Caretakers you're aware of?"

    Denada on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Standing to attention Brottor salutes the Captain, "Yes sir, I will deliver the message immediately. It has been an honor serving under you, Captain." Turning, Brottor enters the pad, following the civilians.

    Lardalish on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn Staci
    Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13

    QuinnSoloRound0.gif

    Initiative Order
    M. Unit (A,B): 23
    Z. Lights (A, B): 18
    M. Unit (C,D): 14
    Z. Ranged (A, B): 12
    *Quinn : 10
    *M. Leader: 10
    M. Unit E: 8
    Z. Heavy: 3

    *Leaders of groups.
    All NPC's before you have Delayed off stack All after you can take action, Quinn.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lothril pondered over this in his mind. It certainly wasn't helping the battle, but it was assisting the Knights, something he had always wanted to do. Lothril walked over to look out at the mob outside the guild hall.

    "I think I see what it is you want me to do Master. I shall help in anyway possible."

    kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Harmattan, Konstogar
    Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
    You're the last on the pad, and as you step there, the operator does something with the controls that you assume is "making it work". Magic just wasn't your thing. As the room and transforms, you feel like you've jumped off a moving truck. The air is much thinner, you're in a Gainsfield.

    "YOU!"

    A voice calls out from behind you.

    In the control room for the Gate on this side, you can see two Konstogar Guardsmen. On the outside, several uniformed individuals, Gainsfield military men of some sort are attempting to enter. You knew that the the Highborne would have refused refuge to your people, but you didn't know that this was how the Captain ensured the civilians would get it.

    The chamber itself is in shambles. It was clear that large crowds of very panicked people made their way through. They wouldn't have stopped for the guards here, or anyone for that manner. There are a few injured people lying on the ground with the broken glass and wares.

    "This invasion is an act of war! What is the meaning of this, Lowborne?" This guy appears to be in charge here. He's backed by two of his subordinates, who point their weapons at you.

    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Explain why the Captain had his men take over their Chamber to transport refugees.
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (WIS), History (INT)

    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    In the cockpit the pilot sits at a chair in front of a nest of levers and foot pedals. He seems tense and focused on his job. The view of the Merkaba in the distance and the other warships in the armada that are around you is rather impressive, though. It's also much quieter inside cockpit.

    A voice comes from a small glowing crystal in what would pass for an instruments panel. You're not quite sure what the dials and readouts mean, but that's why you're not a pilot.

    "...perform maneuver on my mark... Mark."

    The pilot pushes and pulls at the various controls, and as he does so you notice that you're actually turning away from Merkaba, and gaining altitude.

    "Hey, soldier. You need to go back to your seat." A female halfling in the co-pilot's seat snaps at you with her small voice.

    Lothril Issrin
    Acacia Island, Acacia - Mage's Guildhouse
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    As you look out beyond the guildhouse's court and gates into the angry mob you can see people from a number of different islands. These people were mostly refugees. Spies like your former friend were responsible for providing the Sigil Sequences to Highborne Teleportation Gates to the Merkabans. Much like the that wiped out plague the Dragonborn, the Circles and Gates proved once again to a weak spot in the defense. Rumour says that this is why the Merkaban struck Lowborne settlements like Konstogar first.

    When word spread that this was their method of attack, all gates were sealed and obstructed. Traffic between islands became wholly dependant upon airships. With all the refugees, and supplies necessary to maintain them occupying airship's time, everything was in a rut. The Merkabans really did their homework.

    The mob parted briefly as a carriage driven by a Rage Drake pulled up. Domesticated Rage Drake were even half as strong as the wild ones. It wouldn't take long for the mob to remember that. Hopefully the carriage would have reached the port by then.

    "You don't know how important this is... even on 'Retribution Day'."

    Outside, a Knight walks out of view as he makes his way inside.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - The Broken Wing
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    "Guards? Ha. The Caretakers are pushovers, white robed janitors..." You're able to discern that he's not too confident in that assessment. There's a reason he asked for you.

    "I do know that some of the more hurt individuals have been moved to another area. I don't think they'd have moved them too far. That could get you out of this box."

    The smoke takes the shape of the dancer again.

    "Oh, you could also try sneaking around the scrap area. Bunch of airships and warships are never going to fly again. Don't know where that would take you though. Haven't had time to get it scoped out, yet."

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Easy there, Ma'am. There's no call for the attitude. We're all working towards the same goal."
    "Perhaps one of you could be so good as to tell me why we're aborting this mission? I'm sure you have your reasons, I'd just like to know what they are. There are thousands of people depending on us putting an end to the Merkaban threat. I'm sure you understand that." A bit of urgency slips into Ewan's voice as the lights of the Merkaban capital are slowly fading from the viewport.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    "Take a look for yourself" the co-pilot points up and out the domed window of the cockpit.

    The stars were beautiful, as they normally were. But there was something unquestionably different about the night sky tonight.

    "You see those red stars?" The pilot asks. "who knows what the Merkabans are planning. We can't risk the attack now."

    There were hundreds of red stars in the sky... you squint and take a closer look at them. What could it mean?
    [strike]Co-Pilot Diplomacy check makes her friendlier towards you, however, the failed Intimidation attempt would make her less friendly towards you.

    Intimidate Pilot: 10 vs 14 Failure, Pilot is also annoyed at you.
    Intimidate Co-Pilot: 10 vs 14 Failure, Co-Pilot is also rather irritated.[/strike]

    Ok, we'll let that change go =P

    Still, roll for an active Perception and put it in the OOC for me.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

    Ewan strains his eyes to look a bit closer at the red stars above the Merkaban city. His eyes never miss much, and this is too important to simply abandon because of something "odd."

    "Yes, I see them. If I may, how long do we have before we are committed to a retreat? I'd like to know how much time I have to determine what this threat constitutes on my own. Then, perhaps, we can make an educated decision."

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seeing the carriage arrive, Lothril moved away from the window, still thinking things over in his head. This was definitely not going to be something he was used to. The proper approach would not be to move directly through the mob outside the building. Thinking back, he tried to remember if he had taken any back ways to the port in his childhood, hoping to think of a way around the mob.

    kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Listen to me! I am sorry that we had to come to this but the Merkaban have invaded our cities and towns, this was the only way we could save our people. I assure you that this is not an invasion force, look at us! We are women and children, most of our army was decimated by the Merkaban. Now we are refugees, we flee from our homes to escape a greater evil. It is not our choice to be here, we are forced into it." Pulling out the sealed scroll and offering it to the Eladrin, "Here, read this if you do not believe me."

    Lardalish on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Harmattan, Konstogar
    Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Explain why the Captain had his men take over their Chamber to transport refugees.
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (WIS), History (INT)
    Progress: Successes 1 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    * Diplomacy - Success! : You've managed to hand him the letter.

    "Refugees? Hardly. You're invaders. Lowborne invaders." Despite his harsh words, he accepts the scroll, then hands it to one of the guards focused on you. He examines the seal, verifying its authenticy. Whatever position he holds here, he does seem to recognize the seal. "Open it."

    "Sir?"

    "I said, open it!" You could swear his voice raised an octave or two.

    One of the guards takes his eyes off you for a moment, then opens the seal with one hand. As he prepares to read the message, the Eladrin snatches the paper from him.

    "Did I say to read it?" he asks. As he begins to do so.

    "Unbelievable." He looks up at you.

    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    There's easily hundreds of red stars and they actually appear to be spreading out. Just as you blink, you notice a few of them have turned blue.

    The pilot and co-pilot have turned their attention to piloting the ship. The Armada has gained considerable altitude as they prepare to move to the Lands Above. Merkaba's lights have shrunken to a single, small point.

    "We're going to take up a vertical sweep, gain some altitude and see what those things are. It's probably just more of those damn knights... You know, the Merkabans call them Devastators?"

    "Feh. We certainly devastated them." the co-pilot replies. Neither of them never fought the Devastors on the front lines.

    Lothril Issrin
    Acacia Island, Acacia - Mage's Guildhouse
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Get the spy to the CHOPPA.
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (WIS), Insight (INT), Stealth (DEX)
    Progress: Successes 1 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    *Insight - Success: You know about some useful alleyways you can take along the way.

    Wesley slides a piece of paper across the desk, and then looks at the spy.

    "I'm sure you know that the gates were compromised. And have been sealed. There shouldn't be many people in that direction. The Watchsmen will be expecting you. Move swiftly, and discretely."

    Another guildsman of walked in, flanked by two knights in heavy armor. He was about the same size as the Spy. "We're ready."

    "Good. Lothril... I'll see you shortly." Wesley smiles at you and leaves.

    "Looks like it's just me and you, Lothril." The spy smiles.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan thinks as fast as he can, trying to recall any briefing information on Merkaban Devastator tactics. If each one of those points of light was a devastator, there was no way this Armada would make it through this night without heavy losses, if not a total loss of life.

    "Kuyt." Ewan swore as he saw the Lands Above getting ever closer. This was bad. If the armada couldn't clear the zone for the Conqueror, then weeks of planning would go to waste, let alone the fact that another offensive like this wouldn't work again, as the Highborne had now tipped their hand. Something had to be done.

    "Pilot, what do we have for ship-to-ship support behind us? Any hope of engaging these Knights head-on?"

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    You can't recall ever hearing or seeing anything about red stars over the months the Merkaban-Highborne war has been going on.

    The "Devastators" were launched from an unknown location in the Lands Below, or directly through Teleportation Circles and gates. The units came encased in a metallic shell that both protected them as they fell through the sky, and propelled them towards their assorted targets. As they fell, the shell scattered, giving the illusion that there were far more of the "Wonders" than there really were, even though just one of them posed a considerable threat.

    It was also noted that over time the strength of the units weakened. Why this was so is unknown.

    "I'm not sure a Carrier like this could take a hit from their shells, to be honest." The halfling spoke up for the pilot, who tensed up a bit.

    "But if we did. then we'd just have to fight the thing inside, or hope it didn't blow us away. The larger ships would probably fair better though..." At least there was some good news.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Well," Keegan says, "I suppose I'll go take a look around then." He waits for the Maestro to say anything else, then turns and nods to the guards on his way out.

    Outside of Maestro's den, Keegan starts looking for any way out of the refugee area. He scans high and low for windows, crawl spaces, balconies, holes, anything that might provide a way out. He also watches the Caretakers to see who goes in and out of the refugee area and what they're doing, paying special attention to anyone going to the medical area. He's specifically looking for a way to slip through the doors around them, or a way to disguise himself as one, or as a patient.

    Denada on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Check. What's your fuel status, pilot? And can I see a map of the general area we're in?"

    A plan quickly formed in Ewan's mind. A wide circle around the Merkaban capital city. Above a floating land mass in the Lands Above would be ideal, but at this time of day in this time of the year it would be a miracle if the floating island passing overhead was small enough to jump over and come down behind the Devastators. If that didn't work, a wide berth around the periphery of the combat zone would do, especially once the Devastators committed to a trajectory. At the very least, they could hope to outlast their weakening to the point where the threat would be diminished enough to risk the fight long enough to get the scouts on the ground. Ewan found space in his rapidly firing thoughts to say a quick prayer to Erathis. 'Any help at this point would be appreciated,' he pled.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor lays his weapon down slowly and walks towards the gate so that the light falls on his armor better, illuminating all the runes etched into the scales, elegant Dwarven runes spelling out his family name. "My name is Brottor Ungart, I have raided your towns before but not once has my unit or myself harmed a civilian. I give you my word that we are not an invasion force, we need refuge from the Merkaban, and I vow to return my people to their homelands when it is safe to return."

    Lardalish on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Harmattan, Konstogar
    Merkaban Invasion, Day Zero
    Skill Challenge Cleared! (+125 XP)
    Objective: Explain why the Captain had his men take over their Chamber to transport refugees.
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (WIS), History (INT)
    Progress: Successes 4 of 4, Failures 0 of 3
    * Diplomacy - Success! : You've managed to hand him the letter.
    * Letter - Success! (Weight 2) : The letter explains the situation.
    * History - Success! : He acknowledges the benefitial relationship your people have had with each other, and your word.

    You drop your weapon and walk away from it as you complete your gesture of peace. The two guards who've trained their weapons on you stand down, as do the guards who were preoccupied with getting your friends out of their control room. Thanks to your efforts, the situation was resolved without bloodshed. There had been enough of that today already. Hopefully, the guards who were tracking down your people would be just as reasonable as this Highborne.

    "Yes, Brottor Ungart. I understand the situation now. We must war--"

    Boosh! (I like typing sound effects :P) Your weapon is blown towards you as a large plume of dust and debris fills the room. It doesn't take much thought to realize that it came from the other gate. Something came through, maybe it was the Captain, and a few guards. Bits of flaming debris clunk to the ground. A shiver runs down your spine.

    Within the swirling mess, you can make out the matte black coloration of one of the knights. That it was standing there could only mean one thing for your Captain and the others below. It starts to emit a sound something like a cicada. The Guardsmen in the control room yell and scream.

    (Perception, Passive) "Why isn't it working?" The reason was simple. The Sigil Sequence it pointed to didn't really exist anymore. They wouldn't have time to realize that though. The "singing" stops suddenly as a single pulse of light tears across the room from the Black Knight's position. The force of the resultant explosion that consumes them blows the door to the control room off its hinges.

    ("Black Knight" has used its Encounter Ability for cutscene massive damage. End of surprise round).

    [Roll Initiative!]

    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    "Help him already, Lisette." The pilot seems kind of irked that you keep nagging him as he's trying to fly the plane. The co-pilot, Lisette, hops out of her chair and walks over to a rack, motioning for you to follow.

    The Zephyr Armada has now climbed above the lower layers of the Lands Above, and is gaining speed as it comes out of the slow U-turn that it was making.

    "We, are here." She points on the map to a patch of ocean just southeast of Borra. Merkaba was situated in this gulf. "We're going against the spin, so we should reach Foehn to regroup in double-time... I just hope those Devastators don't manage to hit us."

    Just then, you hear the sound of a single explosion. It seemed to have come from somewhere below the ship. There is commotion coming from the back of the Dancing Lightning. Something just happened, and you doubt it was good.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    You reflect on what Maestro said and other rumours you've heard the past few days. You haven't really spent much time walking around the Refugee Area, it's a rather depressing place.

    The description of it being a box was rather spot on. Outside of the large opening that the airships hobbled into from, there wasn't much inside. The air vents were along the top of the chamber, too high to jump up to. There were a few other openings that could probably have been bays just like this. Reaching them from the outside may have been possible, but a single mistake would mean a very long fall.

    Unfortunately, there were no Caretakers around. They would be hard pressed to mix into a crowd like this. Their aloof gestures, kaftans, and slightly silver complexions would be the easiest giveaways. The fingernails like claws on all of them wouldn't help much either, no matter how normal they looked otherwise.

    As you make your way from The Broken Wing, you pass many broken hulls and tents. The people seem demoralized, and rightfully so. In passing, you overhear end of a conversation between two Knights.

    "Alright, this one's junk, even the corestone is shot. We're going to have to move it to the other bay. When that Caretaker guy comes back, tell him. Should only be a few minutes, I think."

    You make a mental note of that. Off to the distance, there's a larger tent. You recognize it to be a medical ward.

    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Escape the box, and make your way to the 'Collection'
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth, Thievery, Streetwise, Perception, Insight
    Progress: Successes 0 of ?, Failures 0 of 3

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Kuyt. What now. Lisette, is it? I trust you have this situation under control. If we're hit, I'll do more good down there than up here. Whatever happens, do not retreat. Evade, feint, dodge, spin, whatever it takes, just get us to Merkaba." Ewan stares straight into Lisette's eyes steadily, making sure his meaning is fully understood. "The Lady may be gone, but we are not alone."

    With these parting words, Ewan dashes back into the passenger deck. He points at the first two armed men he sees. "You, and you, with me." With little more than a glance behind him to make sure they're following, Ewan dashes below deck to investigate the noise.

    He nears an ever-increasing ruckus and makes eye contact with a nearby commander. "SITREP!" He screams above the din. "WHAT HAPPENED?"

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn grins at the enemies approaching from across the courtyard. "Looks like we've got work to do, boys!" He points at the two ranged soldiers near him and shouts, "Pick off as many as you can! Don't let any of them get away or we'll be dealing with more than we can handle!" Turning to the other lightly armored soldiers, he yells, "Go along the flanks and keep those bastards busy! We don't want them surrounding us!" Finally, he motions towards the heavily armored warrior in front of him, pointing straight at the enemy leader. "We'll charge up the center and mow this Merkaban scum down!"

    After a brief moment of eerie silence as both groups size each other up, Quinn charges towards the enemies' center, confident that his friends would follow soon behind. He moves to the center of the courtyard and takes cover behind one of the fallen booths.
    Minor action: Ready morningstar.
    Move action: Advance 5 squares up from (12,18) to (12,13).
    Move action: Advance 5 squares from (12,13) to (9,8).

    Jebu on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seeing his opportunity, Keegan walks over to the two Knights. Eyeing the wreckage as he approaches, he takes care to note any spaces big enough to hide in, just in case.

    "Excuse me, Sir Knights," he says in a friendly but somber tone, "I couldn't help but overhear you as I was walking by. I wonder if I might be able to help you move some of this wreckage when the Caretaker arrives. I've been feeling so useless since we got here, and with all the hard work you Knights have been doing for us, I just want to do something to help. I'm stronger than I look, and besides, the work might get my mind off everything that's happened, if only for a few minutes."

    Denada on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13

    QuinnSoloRound1.gif

    Round 1
    Initiative Order:

    M. Unit (C,D): 14
    *Quinn : 10
    Horace, Jacobs: 18->10(Delayed)
    Smith, Kosch: 12->10(Delayed)
    *M. Leader: 10
    M. Unit (A,B): 23->10(Delayed)
    M. Unit E: 8
    Turk: 3


    M. Unit C: Delay.
    M. Unit D: Delay.
    Quinn: Move (12,18 -> 12,13), Move (12,13 -> 9,8)
    Horace: Move (7,18 -> 6,12), Move (6,12 -> 7,10)
    Jacobs: Move (13,14 -> 13,8)
    Smith: Move (10,17 -> 12,15), Heavy Crossbow [Target: Merk E, 26 vs AC 18: Hit 8 Damage]
    Kosch: Move (14,18 -> 14,15), Heavy Crossbow [Target: Merk D, 14 vs AC 18: Miss]
    M.Lead: Move (10,2 -> 8, 5), ????
    M. Unit A: Move (6,2 -> 4,7), Hand Crossbow [Target: Horace, 17 vs AC 18: Miss]
    M. Unit B: Move (5,4 -> 6,6)
    Turk: Move (10,25 -> 11,10), Move (11,10 -> 11, 7)


    End of Round Info

    Ally Status:
    Quinn - 30/30
    Horace - 41/41
    Jacobs - 41/41
    Smith - 35/35
    Kosch - 35/35
    Turk - 47/47

    Enemy Status (Damage Taken shown):
    Merkaban A - 0
    Merkaban B - 0
    Merkaban C - 0
    Merkaban D - 0
    Merkaban E - 8
    Merkaban Leader - 0

    "HOLD!" you begin to move onto their positions, the leader of this group of Merkaban soldiers tells them to wait. Perhaps he sees something that he could use to his advantage. It could also be that he's leaving his soldiers behind to give himself a head start as he runs away. It's been that kind of day.

    Following your lead, Turk, Jacob and Horace advance, with Horace moving to try and block the flanking attempt. Smith and Kosch move up and form a line, firing bolts at the Merkabans. While Kosch is off the mark, Smith connects the woman screaming in pain as the bolt makes some room for itself inside some muscle and sinew.

    Just before you hid around your side of the stand, you saw the Merkaban that was most likely the leader do the same. What was he plotting?

    "Bah!" One of the Merkabans drew his hand crossbow, and whiffed a shot at Horace.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After seeing the enemy leader keep his forces back and duck behind the booth, Quinn's mind begins to race. If this were simple cowardice, the man would have run away rather than position himself behind cover. Was he trying to signal for help? Regardless, Quinn knew that the Merkabans would not put up much of a fight if their leader was captured or killed.

    "Horace, hold those two off as long as you can, but don't get yourself killed!" Turning, Quinn shouts, "Turk, we need to break through their lines and get the leader! Let's go!"
    Move action: Advance from (9,8) to (11,5).
    Standard action: Use Cleave on Merk C
    Cleave attack roll against Merk C (1d20 8=28)
    Critical Hit! 10+6+Cleave crit bonus damage (1d6=2) = 18 damage on Merk C, 6 damage on Merk E.

    Charging towards two of the Merkabans, Quinn roars while swinging his morningstar back for a wide swing. The weapon makes a loud crunch as he lands a devastating blow on the chest of one of the enemy soldiers. As the Merkaban staggers from the force of the blow, Quinn continues his swing into the leg of the other soldier, who screams in pain.

    Jebu on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    All of the Knights aboard the Dancing Lightning were peering over the the side of the carrier's bay doors. The commander's face is pale. You follow their eyes down below, and you can see why.

    You think back to your briefing. If you remembered correctly, the ball of fire that was hurtling down towards the ocean was the carrier Restless Needle. You didn't see any scouts trying to grapple their way to any of the other ships.

    "What... what happened?" Iam's voice was shaky with fear. The sky lit up again; another carrier going up in a ball of flames. The formation that the Armada held to was beginning to shift and move. The Dancing Lightning shook violently from another explosion, this one even closer. This time it was a light cruiser, the Dawn's Tiding. As the flaming bits of the warship fell to the earth, there were sounds of explosions again, much smaller ones.

    Something wet splashes against your cheek, and the commander lurches forward over the side of the ship. [Insight, Success] The munitions on the cruiser are exploding.

    "Hey! Get to your seats, we've got to scatter, NOW!" A surprisingly large scream comes from Lisette, who was partially down the ladder that led into the cockpit.

    Just then, the Dancing Lightning jerks violently to port (port is left, btw). Several scouts are knocked overboard. The screech of metal, wood and glass snapping and breaking above you drowns out their screams. Somehow, Lisette manages to hang onto the ladder, and makes her way into the cockpit.

    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Avoid falling into the ocean from several miles up.
    Primary Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, Core Grapple*
    Progress: Successes 0 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    *Note: It takes a standard action to fire the grapple at a ship. A free action to remove it. However it takes a standard action to wind it up again. Meaning - you cannot use the Core Grapple in back to back sequence.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Escape the box, and make your way to the 'Collection'
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth, Thievery, Streetwise, Perception, Insight
    Progress: Successes 1 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    * Diplomacy - Success! - Helping the Knights.

    The Knights look tired, and aren't in a particularly positive mood. Given the condition of the fleet of ships in just the immediate area, they had a lot of work ahead of them.

    One of them gives you a good look over. "Alright. Any help we can get would be fine."

    "What! Are you out of your mind? If the Marshal found out about this! What if he ste--" he's cut off by his friend.

    "We've been at this for days, and where the hell would he go if he tried to steal something? Knock yourself out kid. We'll be back in a few minutes."

    "WHAT?"

    The one guard ushers his friend off towards the tents. It was weird how the Knights reacted to the overwhelming defeat they'd suffered. Those two, it seemed... had chosen to ignore it. Hovering in front of you was the husk of a Carrier-type warship, or what was left of one. Wood and twisted metal jutted inwards from the various impacts it had taken. Long scratchings were etched deeply along port side door, a sign of a collision.

    On the starboard side the door was open, but nearly half the carrier's floor was missing. There were a few alcoves inside, for storing weapons. It would be a bit of a tight squeeze, but you might be able to stuff yourself into one.

    You realize how bad a condition the Knights were in. They didn't even tell you what to do.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Core Grapples to the ready!" Ewan shouts above the din as the ship begins to roll. Ewan is tossed to the starboard side of the ship and is immediately followed there by Iam. Ewan looks over at Iam, who looks a bit panicked and dazed from the lurch of the Lightning. He is struggling trying to get the core grapple free from his harness. Ewan draws his shortsword and stabs it directly into the wooden hull of the Lightning and grabs Iam by his arm. "You let go, You die. Understand?" Ewan locks his eyes to Iam's, and says in a calm but firm, even tone. One arm grasping Iam and the other on his blade sunk into the hull, Ewan looks around and assesses his current plight.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thinking better of trying to pilot a broken carrier through a refugee area packed with injured and displaced people, Keegan decides to take this opportunity to hide inside the ship. The Knights would probably assume he gave up or became disinterested, and their attitude told him they wouldn't particularly care. They had mentioned they would be moving it in a few minutes anyway.

    With the Knights at their tent and no one else in the immediate vicinity, Keegan crawls inside the wreckage and finds a small alcove to hide in. It's not perfect, but it should work well enough. The Knights aren't expecting any thievery anyway, so they probably won't look inside the ship.

    Denada on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lothril watches his commander leave the room, then turns his gaze to the spy in the corner of the room. Lothril knows he can't afford to think of the man in the corner of the room as his friend, the person he had shared so much during their time at the academy. He had to think of his former friend as a spy, and nothing more.

    "Don't expect any pity from me. To me, you're nothing but a spy now," Lothril finally address the him with a very apparent disdain in his voice. He leans down to pick the spy up off the floor, being rougher than he normally would. "You will follow me and cause no trouble."

    kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13

    QuinnSoloRound3.gif

    Round 3
    Initiative Order:

    M. Unit (C,D): 14
    *Quinn : 10
    Horace, Jacobs: 18->10(Delayed)
    Smith, Kosch: 12->10(Delayed)
    *M. Leader: 10
    M. Unit (A,B): 23->10(Delayed)
    M. Unit E: 8
    Turk: 3

    Round 2
    M. Unit C: Delay.
    M. Unit D: Delay.
    Quinn: Move (9,8 -> 11,5), Cleave [Target: Merc C (Merc E), *28* vs AC 18: Critical 18 Damage Merc C, 6 Damage Merc E]
    Horace: Move (7,10 -> 5,8), Spear [Target: Merc A, 22 vs AC 18: Hit 6 Damage]
    Jacobs: Move (13,8 -> 13,5), Spear [Target: Merc E, 26 vs AC 18: Hit 8 Damage]
    Smith: (12,15) Heavy Crossbow [Target: Merk E, 11 vs AC 18: Miss]
    Kosch: (14,15) Heavy Crossbow [Target: Merk D, *1* vs AC 18: Fumbled!]
    M.Lead: ????
    M. Unit A: (4,7), Merkaban Spear [Target: Horace, 16 vs AC 18: Miss]
    M. Unit B: Move (6,6 -> 6,7), Merkaban Spear [Target: Horace, 26 vs AC 18: Hit 8 Damage]
    M. Unit E: Shift 1 (12,5 -> 12,4), Total Defense
    Turk: Move (11,10 -> 10,5), Glaive [Target: Merc C, 11 vs AC 18: Miss]

    Round 3
    M. Unit C: (10,4) Spear [Target: Turk, 28 vs AC 14: Hit 9 Damage]
    M. Unit D: (14,3 -> 13,4), Spear [Target: Jacobs, 18 vs AC 18: Hit 10 Damage]

    End Frame Info

    Ally Status:
    Quinn - 30/30
    Horace - 33/41
    Jacobs - 31/41
    Smith - 35/35
    Kosch - 35/35
    Turk - 38/47

    Enemy Status (Damage Taken shown):
    Merkaban A - 6
    Merkaban B - 0
    Merkaban C - 18
    Merkaban D - 0
    Merkaban E - 22 *Flanked, Bloodied*
    Merkaban Leader - 0

    "Must you always be so reckless, sir?" Horace yells out as he acknowledges your command. While you make your way towards the two Merkabans, he manages to spear one rather solidly.

    "Augh!" the male lets out a gasp as you slam your morningstar into his chest. The woman screams as well as you clip her in the leg. Her balance is shifted just enough for Jacobs to spear her as well. Having been hammered so, she steps back and takes up a defensive stance.

    "Sorry lady, but this is war." He says as he pulls the spear back. A bolt flies past your head, and Kosch curses as he fumbles reloading his heavy crossbow. They weren't really made for mobile combat anyway. Horace appears to be holding his own against the two Merkaban rather well. But how long would he last?

    "Highborne scum! Die!" The Merkabans seem to have gained some nerve, and began to fight back. Turk takes a spear jab to the gut, but for a guy like him that's nothing. Jacob's on the other hand is slashed pretty badly by the attack of another Merkaban. Things were getting serious.


    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr Armada, First Fleet - Dancing Lightning
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Avoid falling into the ocean from several miles up.
    Primary Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, Core Grapple*
    Progress: Successes 1 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    *Note: It takes a standard action to fire the grapple at a ship. A free action to remove it. However it takes a standard action to wind it up again. Meaning - you cannot use the Core Grapple in back to back sequence.
    * Perception - Success! - Assessing the situation.

    WHAM! A scout slams into the aft wall of the carrier, before slipping out into the night sky. Another, more fortunate Scout is simply thrown away. The Dancing Lighting has been spinning out of control for some time. You watch from your perch as the Lisette climbs the ladder. Even though they would never fight on the ground, the pilots were trained for situations like this. As her legs slip up into the opening for the cockpit, a dizzying seconds later the Dancing Lightning comes out of the spin. (Insight Passive: Success) Lisette was the co-pilot...

    Iam is actually crying. The stress of all this is simply too much for him. The larger explosions and following successive explosions have increased in intensity. The Merkabans had played their trump card, and from the sound of it, you guys had lost.

    "Are we going to die here?" Iam asks.


    Lothril Issrin
    Acacia Island, Acacia - Mage's Guildhouse
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Get the spy to the CHOPPA.
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (WIS), Insight (INT), Stealth (DEX)
    Progress: Successes 1 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    *Insight - Success: You know about some useful alleyways you can take along the way.
    *Intimidate - Success: You've intimidated the spy successfully.

    "Alright... Alright!" The spy struggles to put the words together as you drag him to his feet. The swelling in his face has gone down, he almost looks like the man you thought you knew before.

    He holds his hands out. "If you get me out of here alive, I guess I'll owe you one."

    Even now, the Spy was still defiant. He never could admit defeat.

    Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - Wrecked Carrier
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    Skill Challenge
    Objective: Escape the box, and make your way to the 'Collection'
    Primary Skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Stealth, Thievery, Streetwise, Perception, Insight
    Progress: Successes 2 of ?, Failures 0 of 3
    * Diplomacy - Success! - Helping the Knights.
    * Stealth - Success! - Hiding in the wreck

    As you get inside the carrier you catch the faint smell of charred flesh. Your gut tells you that people died on this very ship. Yet that wasn't important. What mattered now was the job. Towards the back of the Carrier were the alcoves for weapon storage.

    When you slip yourself into one, you are able to get a closer look at the floor. Blood had seeped deep into the wooden surface, staining it deeply. There was no doubt that this carrier at the front lines during Retribution Day. It was a miracle it made it back intact. Hiding down here like this, the seconds felt like hours. Finally, you could hear voices outside.

    "Where's the kid?"

    "It wasn't a kid, it was a halfling."

    "Look, whatever... here comes the Caretaker. You talk to him. I can't stand those guys."

    A new voice is heard, this one strained. It seemed like whoever it was either didn't speak Common, or had a severe speech impediment. His voice was loud and slow. "Greetings. Knights. Is this the ship?"

    "Greetings. Knights. Is. This. The." He didn't even wait for them to reply before repeating himself.

    "Yes, yes it is damnit." It was the Knight allowed you to help out. "Let's go already." You hear footsteps on the interior of the carrier.

    (Perception Passive: Success) "Caretaker bastards. Talking to me like I'm a Merkaban or something." He mutters, as he makes his way to the cockpit ladder. If you could hear it, no doubt the Caretaker did as well. "Hey, Look. I. Don't need. You. Up here. Why not just. Wait down here. with Weyton." he pauses. "I'm sure the two of you can have a lovely conversation."

    "What?" Weyton whines.

    You can feel the carrier moving, the whole thing shudders like it's going to fall apart. The Knight seems to have been a good pilot, and that's when a thought passes through your mind. Maybe this was his boat? That would help to explain some of the detachment he felt right now. Ever so slowly, it crept towards its destination. Twenty minutes later, it stops moving.

    "I'll. Take you. Back, now. Good. Job." The Caretaker says. They depart the boat.

    (Perception Passive: Success) You don't hear anybody in the immediate vicinity of the wrecked carrier.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan lifts Iam to his feet, and stands up next to him, explosions still echoing all around.

    "We may die here, but not today." Ewan pulls a long coil of rope from his sack and cuts it in half with his dagger. Ewan quickly ties one end through the hilt of his sword, and loops the other around Iam's torso with a slip knot. "Not today, you hear me?"

    Ewan closes his eyes, blocking out the chaos around him, as he runs through everything he knows about the Dancing Lightning from his briefing in his head. They need to get off this ship, and quickly...
    Insight Check (1d20 2=11)

    Ewan further searches his instincts. They don't usually let him down.

    Insight Check (1d20 2=17)

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn gives a worried glance as Jacobs cries out in pain, but keeps his focus on the Merkaban in front of him. Once he goes down, there would be a clear path to the leader.
    Standard Action: Use Reaping Strike on Merk C
    Reaping Strike attack roll vs. Merk C (1d20 8=19)
    Hit! Reaping Strike damage roll vs. Merk C (1d10 6=16)
    Merk C takes 16 damage.
    Action Point!
    Standard Action: Use Reaping Strike on Merk C
    Reaping Strike attack roll vs. Merk C (1d20 8=18)
    Hit! Reaping Strike damage roll vs. Merk C (1d10 6=16)
    Merk C takes another 16 damage.

    I'm going to assume he's dead at this point so I can move to his square.
    Move Action: Shift from (11,5) to (10,4).

    Quinn unleashes two devastating blows against the Merkaban, and the soldier crumples and collapses from his injuries. Quinn steps over the body, ignoring the bloody heap beneath him, and tries to catch a glimpse of the enemy leader while motioning Turk forward.

    Jebu on
«13456787
Sign In or Register to comment.