Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

1717274767787

Posts

  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ewan cautiously moves out towards what hit him earlier, and looks around.
    Spoiler:

    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Eron decides he's basically fine where he is and launches a mental assault against the marauder. He succeeds, but it still feels flaccid.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With two down and a third missing in action, Keegan rushes over to help his friends put the last nail in the black knights' coffin. With a twist and a short leap, he brings his kukri down in a slashing motion, bringing the marauder to its end.
    Spoiler:

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Round 5
    Spoiler:

    As Ewan breaks off to attempt to seek out the Spectre, the others engage in a massive coordinated attack against the last visible Marauder. It shudders and crumples to the ground, the blow from Keegan being the last nail in the coffin. How these wonders posed such a threat during the war seemed to be even more of a mystery now.

    While tendrils of energy sputter out of the shattered remnants, Ewan feels somewhat relaxed. It seemed that the wonder that only seconds ago nearly tore his back open was nowhere to be found. The ranger knew well the reason. A smart predator backs away when it knows it doesn't have the advantage. But when would it return? As a breeze blows by the mine entrance seems to howl, lending to the tense atmosphere in the area.

    With nothing trying to kill you, you're able to briefly survey the area. Several landing pads lay empty directly ahead of you. Just beside the entrance of the mining compound there was of course a building, and near it was a shelter where a lone lift lay on the ground.

    (Encounter Clear! +XP)

    Spend surges, etc! the updated XP image will be put on here when I get a chance, no tablet atm. To save time too, decide on charging into the mines or checking that building before charging into the mines too! both of these can be done ICly or in the OOC ;p

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ewan cannot find any trace of his attacker, and sheathes his weapons. He slowly walks back to the group, keeping his eyes open.

    "I'd like to check that building out. Something's still around here, and there's no sense turning our backs on it."

    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Never a group to leave a seemingly innocuous abandoned building unentered, you all head inside. The first thing you notice once you enter the building is that there is an old trail of blood on the floor. The trail leads into a corner of the room, vanishing under an overturned bookcase. Also in its wake lie a path of disheveled papers, books and miscellaneous tubes and glasses that at one point were on top of the tables lining the wall. A closer glance at the surfaces shows that the sheen of dust where the materials once were is thinner. This, coupled with the lack of a horrid stench despite the humidity and temperature suggested this building—and its current tenant—had left this way for some time.

    Floorboards creak as you move throughout the structure. It seems likely that anything of value had been removed from the premises already. Although, you do notice a map on the wall opposite the bookcase. The scene felt oddly familiar to you. Shaking off the deja vu, you take the time to review the map, which seems to show the layout of the mine. It looks like there are at least two levels below with a fairly long road leading down to the last level. The first of them is marked "Residential" while the lowest is aptly marked "Secure Zone." An overhead sketch of the mine also indicates that the primary road follows a slight spiral, though it turns hard in some places. Either way, there would be a lot of ground to cover. You also find another journal.

    Entries!
    Spoiler:

    Don't forget to spend surges!

    Game Information
    Spoiler:

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vandel wraps his injuries--minor and largely superficial--before studying the map and room, looking for any other evidence.

    "We should find our ally if possible. Whoever they were, they did an excellent job, and I don't think we should leave them to die. They probably would have sought refuge in the residential section I imagine..."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "These 'Caretakers' sound interesting. A little sinister though, if you ask me," Keegan says as he tends to his own injuries. Thumbing the pommel of one of his daggers, he looks at the overturned bookcase. "Do you think there's something still under there?" he asks no one in particular, already moving toward it.
    Spoiler:

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eron leans against the wall and catches his breath, glad to be able to finally shake off the effects of whatever the Black Knight had hit him with. "Given the state of things up there, I'm not sure we're going to find anything in the residential section. At least not that won't try and kill us."
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    "If it's the same ones, I don't think sinister really fits them at all," Saurin says to Keegan as the halfling moves toward the bookcase. He watches out of the windows, not absolutely certain that the other Black Knight was gone. "Though, something about them does strike me as unusual."

    "What could possibly be sinister about a group of people who can't speak like normal people, dress alike and apparently spend all their time watching over you?" Arlen pings. "That and they talk into your heads.

    "Aren't you doing the same thing now?" You all feel Mari's response. "Anyway, We will be in position to get you very soon. Hopefully before you get done what you need to do. The only thing is once you get inside the mines I think it may be hard to get through to you. So I'll let you know what to do now. Just- Mari's voice suddenly cuts out.

    With the distraction gone, Keegan returns to investigating what's under the bookcase. The deep crimson stain on the floor is a telltale sign that there is a body there, but what's even more telling is the pair of legs sticking out. It was almost like an old children's tale. Although the pants on the legs look to be in poor shape, the Dead Man's Greaves that did little to help its wearer look to be in nearly pristine condition, albeit dusty. Their texture resembled dragon scale, but seemed softer. It was almost like they were made of dragonborn hide.

    "You saw those people back in that village. I think we need to look and be certain," Saurin looks at Eron. "Some of those men could barely move."

    The greaves are as follows:

    Dead Man's Greaves (Dragonborn Greaves)
    Level 12 Uncommon
    Made of thick hide covered in scales, these ornate boots tap into your pain and rage.
    Price: 13,000 gp
    Item Slot: Feet
    Property: While you are bloodied, gain a +2 item bonus to speed and a +1 item bonus to AC and Reflex defense.



    Game Information
    Spoiler:

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Oh, those Caretakers," Keegan says as he stands back from the bookcase so that Saurin can lift it. His hand goes to his kukri, ready for some mutant armored frost zombie to leap out. "I guess 'mysterious' or 'slightly creepy' might be a better fit then."

    Those greaves seem perfect for Ewan, in just about every way.

    If Saurin wouldn't mind lifting the bookcase, I'll stand ready to chop the head off of whatever jumps out at us, provided it has a head and isn't another kitten or something.

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Saurin looks at Keegan, who stands kukri at the ready, then nods in understanding. First setting the "package" aside, Saurin moves into a better position to lift the bookcase. Before he begins, he also mutters a brief prayer to the Raven Queen for disturbing yet another's rest. There is the sound of clothing tearing coming from beneath the bookcase among other sounds as the contents begin to move. With a sharp exhalation he pushes the case upright completely, and the bookcase righting itself with a loud noise. When the dust in finally clears, you see that the weight of the bookcase and has caused the body to become stuck to the shelving. Though heavily stained by blood and whatever liquids were in the bookcase, the man's clothing sort of resembles a Merkaban officer or some other non-fighting staff. Its legs and greaves dangle freely, ripe for the taking. Saurin shakes his head at the sight and moves away.

    "Hurry and grab them and let's be on with it," the fighter says while strapping on the "package" again.

    Let me know in the OOC who takes the greaves, I'm going to assume that you return outside with this post to keep things going.
    * * *

    Back outside, you take a look around. If the map inside was accurate the mines were rather large. There would be much distance to cover even from the entrance to the "residential" sector. (PPerception - Ewan, Keegan or APerception 17) A little bit closer to the entrance of the mine you notice a corestone powered minecart in a carport*. The craft would surely be able to carry all of you a lot faster than walking or running it. The exterior area has also grown much darker. Surely, night was coming.

    *Bleh, this is the closest thing I can think of to describe that area. I HAVE OUT THIS NOTE HERE BECAUSE IT BUGS ME. SO MUCH. TO USE THAT WORD. I don't know why. RUININ YOUR IMMERSHUNS!!@!

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    After standing around for several minutes, you eventually get into the cart. It does not move at first, but Eron eventually opens a control console up and, with the help of the others, is able to solve a complex and tangentially related word problem to make the cart go again. Powered by these words, the group is able to venture into the tunnel on the cart, which seems to be following its own set path.

    The ride is smooth, but dark. Not wanting to telegraph your arrival any more than you already have, you continue in near darkness. (PPerception - Ewan, Keegan -OR- LLV + Active Perception DC 17) The shape of the tunnel itself is round and there is plenty of room for the cart to move. Its height is easily tall enough for you to be able to stand with headroom while riding the cart, which itself hovers at least a foot off the ground. There is also no excess debris on the ground. Every quarter of a mile, you notice there is a hole in the left wall, from which a breeze flows in. The holes don't seem to be wide enough to practically traverse. There are no audible signs of life in the tunnels and other than your breathing and the noise the cart makes as it moves. Finally, in the distance you see light ahead. The cart itself seems to slow down in anticipation of this…

    (The cart has been winding its way down the mines for a few hours).

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A little fatigued but mostly ready, Vandel holds his spear ready.

    "That was ingenious how you solved that word puzzle, Eron. I'm always impressed at the solutions you manage to dream up!"

    He peers ahead, but can't see much in the gloom.

    Perception: 1d20+4 13

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Vandel attempts to peer into the lighted area ahead. It looks to be an opening. If the map in the building was correct, they were already fairly deep into the mountain, and this was residential section they were about to enter. There doesn't seem to be any signs of activity up ahead though. As the warlord stares intently into the distance, he notices something unusual. Every now and then, flashes of bright light flit across his field of vision. (PArcana - Vandel) The realization that he was beginning to show symptoms of deadstone poisoning sets in rather easily for the Warlord.

    (Everyone - Roll Endurance!)

    (Vandel, with his Constitution score of 10, is the canary for the group. ;p)

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Time is becoming a resource," Vandel says to his allies.
    Endurance: 1d20+4 15

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Keegan, seemingly unconcerned with the poisonous environs, is admiring the remarkably clean tunnel when a realization dawns on him. "Hey, remember how clean the sewers were? Didn't they have jigglers down there eating everything? They must have them here too. I wonder if they eat deadstone? A deadstone jiggler sounds dangerous. But then, if they turned you into deadstone, would they still be able to eat you? Of course if they're also made of deadstone, maybe they have to eat deadstone to survive. Like a zombie that only eats other zombies. Though wouldn't you just run out of zombies after a while? Maybe there's just one giant ultra-jiggler down here somewhere that's too big to fit through all the little tunnels and now he's just hungry and wishing there were more jigglers to eat."

    After a few moments of thoughtful silence, Keegan sifts through one of his pouches and starts gnawing on a piece of jerky. "This sure is a long tunnel."

    Endurance. (1d20+5=23)

  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vandel looks at the halfling, perplexed. "I... hope that isn't the case," he says, shaking his head.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eron realizes as quickly as Vandel does that the effects of the deadstone around them are starting to show. Every little flash of light, every twinge in his aching muscle makes him wonder, "Is this battle fatigue? Is it another symptom?" Keegan's incessant patter isn't helping as it just fills his head with more visions of himself turning into a deadstone abomination. In a corner of his mind he knows that thinking about it only makes it worse, butit's as frustrating as trying not to think of pink elephants.
    Parakeet: 1d20+5 11

    steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines (Residential)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    "If a farmer and a mage were both exposed to the same amount of deadstone, who would show symptoms faster?"

    At the front of the class the guildmage paced, waiting for a student to respond. The sun beamed in through the guildhall's vaulted windows and another drift slowly floated by in the distance.

    "Mages. Knowledge, is our enemy…"


    Eron's memories of his earlier years return to him as the cart continues toward the opening. It was hard not to think about what would happen to him. He'd already seen how the "farmers" had turned, and here he was going into the fire.

    "...this corrupting last well beyond initial exposures to the deadstone. A granule just the size of an acorn seed is capable of self-sustaining malignancy. The utmost care must be taken when dealing with this dangerous arcana…"

    It seemed there were Merkabans at that lecture. The crazy bastards had been shipping this stuff out by the cart, if the assorted wrecks the group had observed earlier were any indicator. But that would be fixed soon. The cylinder on the ground by Saurin's feet would bring that conclusion. A few minutes more of silence pass, and the cart finally enters into the light ahead.

    The tunnel opens into a fairly large and open cave. At the far end there is a massive and rugged vault door. Snaking between stalactites a good forty feet above you is a catwalk that leads to structure that hangs from the ceiling. The windows suggest it's some kind of control tower, but the way the catwalk gates look give the the appearance of a prison guard tower. Merkaban banners grace both sides of the wall nearest the vault door. As the cart nears the center of the chamber, you notice a similar vault door is closing behind you.

    Crates of various sizes are haphazardly stacked all around and form a "T" shaped path. The cart stops at a junction with multiple arcane circles etched into the ground: a staging area. At the end of the other path made, there is a smaller but still rather secure looking door. The catwalk above also snakes in that direction, suggesting that the actual residential quarter was that way.

    (Sub-objective Added: Open the vault door to the mines.)

    Game Information
    Spoiler:

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eron, eager for a something to take his mind off his worsening condition approaches the secured door and appraises it, hoping to find a clue as to how to unlock it.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Hmm," Keegan says, looking around. "We should figure out how to open that door."

    Perception and Thievery (1d20+9=11, 1d20+16=20)

  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can Vandel use teleport to get to the catwalk? He can see on the other side of the gate, I imagine?

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines (Residential)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    The cart settles into the center of one of the arcane circles as you disembark and take a look around. The air was surprisingly dry considering how deep underground you were.

    Saurin steps off of the cart and looks back at the vault door you'd entered from. "…And fast," he adds to Keegan's remark. With that both he and Ewan stay by the cart as Eron and Keegan go to investigate the security door. As they walk toward the door their footsteps echo. Orbs of light nestled between the stalactites provide some illumination, though the arrangement of the containers makes it difficult to see much beyond the path.

    While the vault door isn't a Wonder, it has been impressively built. Nightbird's experience with similar smaller structures told him that it was at least a foot thick and heavily reinforced. There were no exposed portions of the locking mechanism within visible. He does however notice curious markings etched into the vault's surface. They almost looked like claw marks. As the curious halfling moves closer to inspect this, Eron reaches out to grab him. (APerception/PArcana - Eron) Although his senses were somewhat overwhelmed by the residual deadstone all around him, Eron notices etchings along the inner frame of the vault. This is all the sorcerer needs to notice the slight visual distortion from a fairly powerful magical barrier that has been put onto the door. It was probably a bad idea to enter the threshold.

    Looking back toward the control tower that hung from the ceiling, you get the succinct feeling that you would have to go there to open the gate.

    Forgot that last sentence.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eron returns to the cart and reports to the others that if they wanted to get through the door, they'd need to get into that control tower. He casts about looking a route, hopefully a quick safe one up there.
    Spoiler:
    I wish all my feelings were that succinct. Normally listening to my gut's about as bad as Keegan. ;)

    steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meanwhile...
    Farsiac, The Ranstead
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    "You know, that kitten was pretty lucky to have survived all that," Mari says as the Ranstead continues to fly toward its destination. It looks up at her her with its cute eyes and button nose and purrs as Ceeteedee looks hungrily at it. Nothing bad ever happens to kittens. "Maybe we should give it a name?"

    "What?" Arlen's voice booms out across the Ranstead's speakers, frightening the kitten. "A name?"

    Mari's lips furl as she tries to settle the poor thing's nerves again. "Yes, a name. It can be our mascot."

    "I thought the goblin was the mascot. It's not like it's done anything useful since they decided to drag it along."

    Ceeteedee lets out a sob in his harness-chair as Mari shakes her head. Petting goblins? Not a chance.

    "Well, there was that one time? Anyway what are you thinking of naming it?

    "That's the thing, there's so many names to choose from. When they finish up maybe we can have them—" Mari stops midsentence and silence fills the cockpit as scenery continues fly by on the ship's screens. The Wonder's enhanced "vision" makes out the details of the tunnel just as clear as if it were day.

    "I see. Don't worry about them. I'm sure they'll pull through just fine," Arlen pings instead of using the vessel as his voice-box. "Imagine getting a consoling pat on the back or something right about now.

    "Thanks…" Mari smiles.

    "You know, that kitten was pretty lucky to have survived all that," Mari says as the Ranstead continues to fly toward its destination. It looks up at her her with its cute eyes and button nose and purrs as Ceeteedee looks hungrily at it. Nothing bad ever happens to kittens. "Maybe we should give it a name?"

    "Wait, Didn't you just say that?"

    "No. Are you pushing yourself too hard? Maybe we should slow down," Mari says.

    "I could have sworn you did. Must have been deja vu," Arlen responds. "Either that or something changed."

    "Changed?"

    "Nevermind," he says. "There's not too much farther to go…"

    ... And back
    Farsiac, Mountain Path
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    "So we need to get into there then?" Saurin says to Eron. Pointing at the path the connecting catwalk takes through the stalactites he adds, "the entrance must be beyond the door over there. I don't like this one bit."

    "Kyut, let's get it over with!" Ewan draws his swords and begins to creep down the path leading to the second door.

    The vault doors that dramatically closed when you passed through them into the cave originally are open as they should not have closed. See OOC.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Mountain Path
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Ewan makes his way down the corridor of containers, stopping just before he gets to the door. A mirrored glass window was to the left of the entrance, likely a security room of some sort. (PArcana - Eron) Though the entire area pulsed with magical energies, there seemed to be no energy focused upon the door way as there was on the larger one.

    "I'm sure if somebody was in there we'd have run into guards or more Knights by now," Saurin whispers.

    Ewan moves closer to the window, attempting to peer inside to no avail. It seemed that there was no light on the other side. Turning his attention back to the door, he notices two plates riveted in place on both sides of the door…

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eron studies the one-way glass, the door, and the two plates with five of his six senses, not daring to touch the door and especially the plates before determining exactly if all the surrounding magic was involved in any kind of protective measures. If he could just see what was on the other side of the glass he might have a better idea of how to get in. If he could light up that room, assuming the window's mirrored state was simply a mundane trick of the light it just might do it.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finally turning his attention from the extremely interesting stack of boxes to his left, Keegan cracks his knuckles and starts working on the door.

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The Party
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines (Residential)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

    Eron peers into the mirrored glass, and sees his own dark reflection. He doesn't sense the energy of form of warding or protective measures in the area. It seemed that to the Merkabans, it was far more important to keep what was in this quarter here, rather than going deeper into the mountain or escaping to the surface. When he thought back to the miners with deadstone poisoning, and the mutated plants it almost made sense. Perhaps even more dangerous creatures had been birthed out of this environment. And here he was heading trying to head deeper into the heart of the mountain. But he couldn't feed into that thought. Only by staying focused on getting the job done and getting out alive would he succeed here.

    To focus on something else Eron e looks over the door frame and window's frame for any clues as to its construction. (ADungeoneering - Eron)Even though this particular section of the cave looked to be of natural origin. The hole for the window has been cut out of the rock. The even lines in the rock are also indicative that what lay beyond the door wasn't a natural section of the cave. With that in mind, Eron was certain that there would be little room (Two squares wide) for them to maneuver around in.

    Meanwhile, the halfling unfurls his tools of the trade and begins to work a plate off one side of the base of the plates. Behind it he saw that they used a Bayneswith torque leverager. Opening the door was as easy as pulling the release cogs. Closing the door, on the other hand would be a little more bothersome from here. Warning the others to be ready for anything, he pulls the releases on both sides.

    At first the door rapidly descends into the ground a few a inches but as other mechanisms inside catch, it slows into a controlled descent. Ahead of you lies a long hallway, with several doors on both sides. Signs hang above each of the doorways, labeling them wings "A" through "F", while others are labelled Mess, Offices. In between the doors Merkaban flags adorn the walls. At the far end an upwards pointing diagonal arrow is painted on the wall. It was likely that was were the stairs that lead to the catwalk were. The restrooms were up there too.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The Party *AUTO PILOT*
    Farsiac, Farsiac Mines (Residential)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22


    "Kyut, let's get moving."

    Ewan slides along the wall toward the door that lead off to the "A" wing. It was a sturdy security door with a thick window set into it. Peering through, he could see nothing but darkness. On the right side of the door was a lever. It doesn't budge at all when he tries to pull it down. "They're probably unlocked from a control room," Ewan says as the others catch up.

    "Kind of reminds me of a prison," Saurin whispers.

    "We don't need to waste any time with this," Eron says. The tingling sensation under skin had grown worse. Or maybe he just thought it did. It was hard to tell. Ewan nodded at Eron, and the others began to move forward once again. While the others move forward Keegan lingers near the levered door opposite the first.

    (PPerception - Ewan) As Ewan moves by one of the doors, he notices a flicker of light out of the corner of his eye. As he jerks his body out sight of the window he uses a few hand signals to let Vandel know that he'd spotted lights moving inside the door he'd just walked by. Instinct causes the Knights and mercenary to crouch alongside the nearest wall, with Eron following a second after.

    "He saw something in there," Vandel quietly informs Eron. Even without training as a Knight, the gestures were pretty self explanatory, but the Wizard thinks.

    "Deadstone poisoning attacks the eyes first. It was probably just that."

    "You feel it too?"

    Eron nodded as Saurin stood again, ready to continue on. Going full alert for every little thing that happened wasn't going to get them in and out any faster.

    Kla-clack! Hissssssss.

    The fighter spins with his tratnyr at hand, the others turning too.

    Behind them they find Keegan standing by an open door. "Like my Uncle Lineswalt used to say, sometimes you just have to open the door to find the way. Or was it keep away from the door…"

    Saurin walks up to the halfling who continued to speak, and has around look inside. This was Wing B, he noted to himself. The interior hallway was dimly lit, but from what he could see it looked almost residential in nature. Simple wooden doors lined both sides of the hallway, with room numbered with brass lettering. The fighter silently watches the halfling pad his way across the carpeted floor, and place his ear against one of the doors. At the far end of the hallway, miscellaneous furniture is stacked and organized.

    "It can't hurt at this point," Vandel says while filing by Saurin. Ewan remains crouched at the other door, unphased by the distraction.

    As Ewan remains posted as a sentry, Keegan lets himself in to one of the apartments. Swiping the touchstone inset in the wall by the door illuminates the room. The thin sheen of dust on the bed and furnishings of an otherwise orderly room suggests to the halfling that nobody's used this room. The empty drawers only confirm this. The halfling continues to search the room for any hidden safes or caches, as Eron moves toward the end of the hallway.

    He feels his heart begin to beat faster the further away from the other he goes but he pushes his anxiety aside. Activating the touchstone for the lights in the last room confirms that the furniture outside belongs to it. The floor is bare but what really catches the wizard's attention is a square tile inset in the center of the room. There are 3 similar tiles along the floor.

    Maybe that's where the armored kruthik jigglers with force dagger eyes hide? He imagines Keegan saying. With practiced ease Eron summons forth magical energies in the shape of a 'hand', and removes the plating. After waiting a few seconds for something to rush out or explode, he enters the room. Behind the tile there looks to be some kind of device. (PArcana - Eron) It looks like an arcane floor heater, but the dank, mild environment hardly warranted its addition. Removing the plate that would house the firestone, Eron notes that it is empty. He drops the plate to the ground immediately after inspecting the inner side. The crystallized irregularities on the back panel were from deadstone warping. But that would mean—

    "Hey!" A voice from behind him causes Eron springs to his feet and nearly pulls his back out as he turns to the door. There he finds Keegan, who continues to speak while ignoring the wizard's rattled nerves and curses. "I found, oh. There's one in here too."

    A few moments Regrouping back at the entrance of the wing, they decide that perhaps they should at least check out the office…

    So this is the first auto-update. Expect another installation soon.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Four days ago
    The Lands Above, Zephyr Knights Flagship Conqueror
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 23


    "Where are my men?" Andrei's voice echoed through the room. If the man was a hurricane, the woman who sat across from him would be his calm center. Her facial expression remained unchanged as the two now sat in silence. Finally, she spoke.

    "The Knights that you sent into this service did not perish. The burden of the task set upon them proved to be too much for their conscience. The Wonders must be thoroughly destroyed," Sveta's voice was even, "in spite of collateral damage."

    "I read the report. That tsunami destroyed three villages! What if the Merkabans retaliate?"

    "Yes. The explosion was larger than intended. But there was no loss of life and the Wonder was previously damaged. The explosion could easily be attributed to that."

    "How do you know this?"

    "You will have to trust us," Sveta replied, then stood. "On this and that the Merkabans are in no position to retaliate. The task set before your people has grown to be greater than just Highborne. We only want one of your number to replace those who have left the task…"

    Three days ago
    Farsiac, Ruins
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 25


    The sounds of distant thunder ring out in the distance and the ocean churns just beneath the Merkaban transport vessel Claymore. Staring into the depths below, Commmodore Parnassus lets out a sigh as he straightened out a map of the region. He then begins to double check the calibrations of his sextant. According to the map, there should have been an entire island where his vessel was now hovering. There should have been an entire miltiary base here. Instead, there was nothing but softly glowing patches of light deep within the depths of the ocean.

    "Sir the mage just passed out, and he's not waking up this time. And the other one's screaming on and on about 'deadstone poisoning' or something." One of his men approached from behind. "What do you think could have done this? The Premier won't be happy at all."

    "He's not," Parnassus answered. "And I think we may just have a problem here. Have the captain plot a course for Nirvana, I need to have a talk with an old friend"

    "Yes Sir," the man turns to walk away, but then stops. "…What's deadstone poisoning?"

    Keegan, Eron (Present Day)
    The Lands Above, Duncan
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 27


    It had been five days since your successful destruction of the Farsiac Mines, and five days since you last saw Sveta. By her order, Arlen took the Ranstead to a neutral drift, Duncan. A high population drift with neutral ties with the Zephyr Coalition, it was home to both former Lowborne and Highborne alike. This influx of refugees made it rather easy for you to blend in, and you've spent the last few days hanging around in a small house whose basement was connected to the ruins.

    Word the of spectacle that was the destruction of Farsiac has spread far and wide, the belief that the Merkabans had the power to destroying even islands on the surface adding to the general atmosphere of fear. There were so many questions, but no answers. The sound of children running and playing around did serve to provide some distraction, among other things. There was a small library, and so Eron begun to research anything he could. Keegan went on assorted 'sightseeing' adventures, though these were mostly for sport, not prize. Mariposa busied herself with aiding some of the sick and injured at the local hospital, while Arlen did nothing but loaf around the house. Some days you would hear tales of a scary man terrorizing children though.

    Introducing the new people sequentially rather than just plopping them down with you suddenly. If you want you can research at the library (lemme know what you're seeking), gather information, etc.

    Endaren Cloudbinder (Two days ago)
    The Lands Above, Wellington
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 25


    It all happened so fast. One minute you were doing guard duty on a drift that had been running into problems with sky pirates, thanks to the crippling of thes Knight's armada on R-day, and then you were ushered to the new headquarters for the Knights, the Conquerer. Built to end Merkaban-Highborne war the vessel almost seemed like a mockery of Highborne hubris now.

    Your meeting with the Admiral was short, but it the job given to you was of the utmost importance. The Caretakers, had decided to offer some assistance in truly ending the Merkaban threat. You were going to be part of the group that would accomplish this task. The rumours you'd heard about an island being destroyed were true; and what happened there was just one part of this endeavor. Success in this mission would truly mean peace.

    The briefing you were given was short and to the point, and from the Conqueror you were sent to the Wellington drift. Not the most well-off place to be, but then again given the situation the people here were getting along quite well. A brisk walk through the town led you to the outside of one of the mansions. The help would guide you through the estate and into the owner's rather exquisite lounge room. Seated at table was a woman dressed in a white clothing; a Caretaker.

    The severity of the warning in Admiral Vaughn's voice seemed to conflict with demure appearance of the woman that you'd just met. But behind her small frame and childlike appearance lay the power of the Caretakers. That power is what staved off the complete destruction of of the Coalition's forces at Foehn and only by working with or through them would you be able to stop the Merkabans. The reports of what happened at Farsiac demonstrated just that power; an entire island destroyed.

    "You are Endaren Cloudbinder?" She asks, the exactness of her enunciation indicating that it wasn't her first language. "I am Voice of the Caretakers. You may call me Sveta."

    Finnian Goswick and Rais will be intro'd soon too. You don't have to talk to her in RP'd form, of course.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • AnialosAnialos RPG MPD patient #1 Registered User regular
    "Cloudbinder is the name given to my family. A family set aside to serve your cause. You may call me by my given name, or by any you choose for me." Kneeling at her side Endaren lays his sword attop his hands and looks up at her. "My sword and my life serve your cause, Sveta. What would you have me do?"

    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

    like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Endaren Cloudbinder (Two days ago)
    The Lands Above, Wellington
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 25


    She smiles politely at you as you perform this gesture. When she speaks again, her tone remains the same.

    "The cause you fight for is not ours. You fight for the survival of your own people. Without the Wonders your enemy will fall. We have merely provided the means." Moving away from you, she continues to speak. "This journey will be difficult and you are not the first Knight sent to us. You will need more than your sword to succeed. I will tell you what the others know,"

    She begins, and then provides you with an overview of the mission's objectives...

    The gist of what she said is described here.

    Leveche Research Facility
    Spoiler:

    Vault Excavation
    Spoiler:

    "So where in your estimation, would you strike next?" She asks.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • AnialosAnialos RPG MPD patient #1 Registered User regular
    "I would do the formality of asking which is closer, or which you deem the greater threat, but that should not be needed. As a man of nominal magical talent, the madman Huxby strikes a particular chord. Surely a legion of beasts at his command would be even more dangerous than these Black Knights." Having listened closely, Endaren speaks carefully, pausing a moment. "If left to me, he will be the next target. However, the decision should hardly be mine alone. I wish to meet the other members of the team, and hear their opinions on the matter."

    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

    like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Eron greatly appreciates the chance to spend a few days not looking over his shoulder wondering what is going to eat him, or burn him, natter in his ear on and and on about the time his uncle caught a huuuge skyshark. He spends the first few days in solitude, meditating and working to purge himself physically and mentally of the lingering effects of deadstone poisoning. Feeling better than he has in days, he sets himself to studying. Small though the library was, it had several interesting volumes, including some that he was quite sure Academy library lacked. Eron sets to with gusto, researching everything he can find on the topics of Wonders, deadstone, and chimeric creations of the type his former colleague Huxby was fond of, in order to try and make some sense of their past mission, and prepare for their remaining tasks. He also finds some quite thorough treatises on efficiency in magical combat. Ding!

    When he isn't engrossed in his studies, he spends some time in the local shops finding useful odds and ends.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    THE WORLD GETS CONFUSED AND EXPLODES!

    Wrong game. Ignore this post.



    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Keegan, Eron (Present Day)
    The Lands Above, Duncan
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 27


    You are able to find a rare copy of Huxby's published thesis on transcendence, entitled "Unlocking True Nature of Man" If ever there was a sign that the magician was clearly out of his mind, it could be found here. The notes here suggest that much of his work in hybridization was built off the theories established in his early study, including that of the "Jigglers." However, what really catches your attention though is the his commentary on the nature of transcendentalism and deadstone:

    …with sufficient exposure to excited energies of the various types of corestone, it is possible for the lifeform and stone to meld into one form. No doubt this is the origin of creatures such as elementals. So then such ascension should be readily possible for all, yes? But it is not, for the mind and soul which is the essence of a living being is conscious of what its body should be, that contention occurs. The question remains: what if one were to be able to willingly accept these changes. Perhaps if exposures occurred in the formative period of a living being, then the end result would thrive?"

    What you had learned of the Caretakers and seen at Farsiac indicated his continued effort to pursue this research. It also made it very clear why and how he was so readily accepted into such a high position within the Premier Vacchana's ranks.

    In your library adventures, you also happen upon a series of surveys taken by Levanche Expeditionary Group. What is interesting about this writing is that it provides information on one of the later, less published trips to the region. It seems that some of the group from Naro's first expedition wound up staying behind on the island. Why anybody would want to stay in such an inhospitable region was a mystery, but there it was.

    You were also able to find a little piece of information on the other thing that Pharun ranted about, his "Kingdom that spanned the heavens." A collection of notes written by an unknown author described the ruins of a Citadel. The author described his journey through these remains, and noted the many similarities between its architecture and that of what was found in certain ruins. His notes posit the possibily of some kind of weapon capable of punching large holes into the ground, and even mentions that a sufficiently powerful or focused application of such weapon could even destroy a drift or island. Knowing that both an island and a drift had been destroyed by Wonders very recently, this information doesn't sit too well. In his writings the author assumes that he had found the remains of the Alabaster Citadel though, and given the presence of the Caretakers and a very functional Wonder, it does give some validity to Premier's statements.

    Assume you have sufficient funds to buy a reasonable amount of rituals.

    Rais Saif, (Three days ago)
    Merkaban Airspace, Nymphaea Alba
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 24


    You had come a long way to get to where you were. Immediately before you stood Bhavak Khzaram, Grand General of the Merkaban armies. As a fellow dragonborn, you were able to make out the hidden signs of stress and fatigue that other races couldn't detect. It was understandable, given the hellish war that the Merkaban forces had fought, both against the Highborne and now the separatist faction lead by Premier Vacchana. The nation was at its weakest, a fact that should have been apparent to the Highborne, yet they did not attack. Behind him sat Katell Merkaba, wife of the Premier and leader in her own right.

    She bestows upon you the honor of directly addressing you.

    "Greetings Knight, I have called you here today because I have a request to make of you. Our nation needs a Hero. Can you do what must be done to save our land?" She asks.

    tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User
    Rais felt very uncomfortable before Katell and Bhavak, he was a simple knight and was rather unaccustomed to receiving the honor of being spoken to by the Premiers wife before the Grand General. His wings twitched slightly but continuously, he was still growing accustomed to controlling them.

    Lowering his head and averting his eyes the dragonborn speaks in what he hopes is a respectful tone, "Yes M'lady, I am willing to do whatever it takes to protect these lands. What is it that you wish of me to do"

    DM in Age of Ascension (IC/OOC)
    Tzeentch in CitOW Game 53
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Endaren Cloudbinder (Two days ago)
    The Lands Above, Wellington
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 25


    As she looks at you the expression on her face seems to suggest that she is having a conversation with someone else. Turning her attention to you she answers.

    "Yes. The others have encountered some of his beasts and they are formidable. But to discount the power of Wonders is foolhardy, Highborne," she steps lightly across the room, stopping somewhere behind you. "What of the Merkabans. How do you feel about them?" she asks.

    Rais Saif, (Three days ago)
    Merkaban Airspace, Nymphaea Alba
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 24


    "Bhavak told me as much, Knight." As she says this, the dragonborn nods in approval. "For us to survive, we must stop Pharun. If only we had seen sooner what he was plotting."

    "Neither you nor your Father could not have known what lay within his heart," Bhavak responds. It was an oft repeated rumour that Pharun Vacchana's sudden and meteoric rise to power lay not in his experience, but through the power of his charisma and presentation of Wonders to the Elder Merkaban. Wonderlust, as some of his many once-vocal detractors called it. His sudden illness shortly after giving Katell to Pharun was one of many warning signs missed.

    "I know," she shakes off the past and looks at you. "If we wage open war against the Separatists, then we will all fall. There are reports that even the Etesians have mobilized in various ways. To put a stop to Pharun, we have. No, I have provided what little information I know of his activities to the Caretakers."

    The Caretakers, keepers of the Alabaster Citadel and its many Wonders had long been isolated from the rest of the world since the day the goddess went away, you knew. It was their intervention when Pharun used his "Red Stars" against Foehn that saved many lives. Perhaps that they didn't use whatever Wondrous weapons they had against Merkaba or sided solely against you was a blesssing? Whatever the case, Katell moves the subject along quickly.

    "They've asked for one of ours to represent us, to put a stop to Pharun's ambitions. So, Rais, are you willing to turn your sword against your fellow countryman, to save our nation?"

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
Sign In or Register to comment.