Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

places to live in california, work laws in Ireland.

PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I lost my job. that shakeup has me thinking I might as well shake up my life too. Since my hair won't take another perm, I'm going to move somewhere.

I am very lucky that I do tech work (lan/wan/windows/exchange) so there are positions open anywhere I've looked. now I need to narrow down the specific cities and towns I should give a closer look to.

wish list:
I'd like to live in a big town or city (no one-store towns) because of the happenings and good places to eat, preferably a city with a college or large cultural scene, year round decent weather since I prefer to use a motorcycle, and where the housing market has affordable places that aren't far off in the burbs. I'm so very over 60 minute commutes twice a day. Beach/park access would be nice as well.

So. what areas should I focus the job hunt?


also: IRE. I'm in the processes of getting my dual citizenship with Ireland. Anyone have expertise doing something like this to land a job? Anyone know what the local job markets are like now? Does citizenship in one EU state allow someone to work in others?

PirateJon on
all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes

Posts

  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User
    edited August 2008
    The East Bay welcomes you and your kind, though San Francisco might be more to your liking. Housing isn't cheap, though.

  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll second San Francisco. The Bay Area in general is my absolute favorite place in all of Americaland, and SF itself is crammed with culture. I'm also sure there'd be plenty of tech job openings. It's expensive, though.

    sigxw0.jpg
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    also: IRE. I'm in the processes of getting my dual citizenship with Ireland. Anyone have expertise doing something like this to land a job? Anyone know what the local job markets are like now? Does citizenship in one EU state allow someone to work in others?

    Once you get citizenship with Ireland, you are entitled to work anywhere in the EU. The best places to work in tech jobs would probably be London, Finland, Dublin, Sweden. Dublin has been on a downturn, however, and a lot of stuff in the London area isn't in London, but in the soulless commuter towns that surround it.

    I'd probably go to the Bay Area unless you have a strong preference for working in telecommunications (which Scandinavia are good at). Bay Area is where stuff is really happening, and San Francisco is one of the best cities in the world IMHO.

    I went through the rigamarole of getting a visa to go in less than two weeks now, so I have the courage of my convictions :)

  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    PirateJon wrote: »
    also: IRE. I'm in the processes of getting my dual citizenship with Ireland. Anyone have expertise doing something like this to land a job? Anyone know what the local job markets are like now? Does citizenship in one EU state allow someone to work in others?

    Once you get citizenship with Ireland, you are entitled to work anywhere in the EU. The best places to work in tech jobs would probably be London, Finland, Dublin, Sweden. Dublin has been on a downturn, however, and a lot of stuff in the London area isn't in London, but in the soulless commuter towns that surround it.

    I'd probably go to the Bay Area unless you have a strong preference for working in telecommunications (which Scandinavia are good at). Bay Area is where stuff is really happening, and San Francisco is one of the best cities in the world IMHO.

    I went through the rigamarole of getting a visa to go in less than two weeks now, so I have the courage of my convictions :)

    London is pretty good fun. If you are from an english speaking country it is pretty easy to fit in as well since half the city seems to be foreign born as well. SO far as work goes - yeah, like Lewisham says a lot of easy to get work sits just outside of London. So long commutes can be the order of the day - that being said, I go about 20km each way by public transport to get to work and it takes about 30 door to door. So it isn't all bad

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ireland's kinda in the middle of a recession at the moment. Job's are scarce. I'd seriously recommend having something lined up before coming over here, because at the moment it's slim pickins.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No major population center in California has affordable housing. There are an abundance of tech jobs here, but living ain't cheap.

    With that aside, my suggestions would be San Francisco (area), San Jose (area), LA (area), or San Diego (area). There are lots of other places to live, obviously, but those are the "big cities".

  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    No major population center in California has affordable housing. There are an abundance of tech jobs here, but living ain't cheap.

    With that aside, my suggestions would be San Francisco (area), San Jose (area), LA (area), or San Diego (area). There are lots of other places to live, obviously, but those are the "big cities".

    I heard San Jose has no young girls due to the lack of big university vs. the number of incoming young men for jobs. There's only so much SJSU to go around. This might be an issue.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If it's attractive people he's after, then Southern California is the place to go.

  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If there was somewhere with jobs, short/no commutes, good city life, and affordable housing, everyone would move there. In fact they do, thats why there is no affordable housing in those places! ><

    If you do go to Ireland I'd try for Cork over Doublin. It is nicer. It has everything you like about big cites with far fewer of the things you don't like about big cities. And yeah, I've heard from people I know in Ireland that there is a slight downturn, but my friends there are all still doing well. I would say Ireland's economie, small thought it might be, is doing better then the USA's.

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    The East Bay welcomes you and your kind, though San Francisco might be more to your liking. Housing isn't cheap, though.

    Yeah I was going to suggest San Fran for him, seems like the perfect match.

  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    If there was somewhere with jobs, short/no commutes, good city life, and affordable housing, everyone would move there. In fact they do, thats why there is no affordable housing in those places! ><

    If you do go to Ireland I'd try for Cork over Doublin. It is nicer. It has everything you like about big cites with far fewer of the things you don't like about big cities. And yeah, I've heard from people I know in Ireland that there is a slight downturn, but my friends there are all still doing well. I would say Ireland's economie, small thought it might be, is doing better then the USA's.

    Some of the forecasts about Ireland are really quite dire now. After 15 years of boom a lot of economists and the like think that the long boom is over there. Annecdotal evidence from my trip there a few months sort of backs that up - loads of empty commercial buildings in Dublin (more than usual apparently), a nasty property-mortgage fraud/scam/thingy, collapse in property prices and increased emigration from native born Irish. That being said, Dublin looks pretty nice - clean, good public transport etc, I really liked the place even though things seemed to cost more than London

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the feedback dudes.

    That sucks about ireland. I remember reading a few years back how it was going to be the new tech center of the EU.

    If there was somewhere with jobs, short/no commutes, good city life, and affordable housing, everyone would move there. In fact they do, thats why there is no affordable housing in those places! ><
    very true. and I just finished "Nickled and Dimed" so I'm pretty aware how good I have it.

    Since my field is in demand and the salaries are good. I'd guess that $1300 or so a month qualifies as "affordable" to me.

    bowen wrote: »
    defrag wrote: »
    The East Bay welcomes you and your kind, though San Francisco might be more to your liking. Housing isn't cheap, though.

    Yeah I was going to suggest San Fran for him, seems like the perfect match.
    pinko liberal geek moves to San Fran? How stereotypical lol.


    On San Fran -

    How cheap is 'not cheap'? $1500 a month for a half-decent hole within a 30 minute drive of the town center? $2000?

    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    On San Fran -

    How cheap is 'not cheap'? $1500 a month for a half-decent hole within a 30 minute drive of the town center? $2000?

    http://www.rent-sf.com/avg_rent.html

    Depends on where you are. The good neighborhoods will obviously be on the higher end of the spectrum. Since I think San Francisco smells like pee and I generally avoid going there, I can't be more specific.

  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User
    edited August 2008
    San Francisco is nice and extremely cultural but very expensive and the weather leaves something to be desired.

    If you're ok with somewhat limited culture (at least in comparison to SF), come to San Diego. Nice weather, decent culture, good local colleges and somewhat cheaper than SF (at the moment).

    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When I was looking, right on the bay, the rent was about $2000. Definitely worth it for the convenience and about a 30-40 minute drive to some of the longer distance jobs listed as SF Bay.

    I was thinking about moving there myself, I can't get the capital to afford the costly move though due to pets and because no job where I live pays near enough to get first + last month rent and a pet deposit for any of California. I might as well put a down payment on a house here.

    Thread Hijack!

    Help me move to California on my meager average salary with 3 cats, a rabbit, a bird, and a $600 school loan payment per month.

  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback dudes.

    That sucks about ireland. I remember reading a few years back how it was going to be the new tech center of the EU.

    Yeah, tried and failed. MIT are out, and most of the rest of that stuff left too I think. But it's the only place that pops into my head, after Scandinavia and London, as somewhere where tech stuff goes on in the EU.

  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you get into EU then you can move to whatever member country you like.

    As for a tech I think you should consider Copenhagen (The capital of Denmark). Just as in the rest of Scandinavia pretty much everybody speaks English and getting a job is easy since we have a record low unemployment (1.4% or just about).

    While I'm doing the sales pitch I might as well back up with some facts:

    Happy
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7487143.stm

    Beautiful
    http://my.mmoabc.com/article/GurlWithSkillz/1771/Top-10-Cities-of-the-World-with-the-Most-Beautiful-Women.html?login=no

    And overall nice :-)
    http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/press/latest_news/monocle_ranks_copenhagen_best_city_for_design_and

    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While I have no real data or advice to add to this, I would kill to move to the EU and work there.

    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Jon, if you want some help finding a place in the Bay Area, just let me know. Send me a PM or something.

  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is a very generous offer. thank you. at this point i need to line up a job then I can worry about finding a place.
    bowen wrote: »
    Help me move to California on my meager average salary with 3 cats, a rabbit, a bird, and a $600 school loan payment per month.
    god that's oppressive. Could you defer the loan for a few months?

    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    That is a very generous offer. thank you. at this point i need to line up a job then I can worry about finding a place.
    bowen wrote: »
    Help me move to California on my meager average salary with 3 cats, a rabbit, a bird, and a $600 school loan payment per month.
    god that's oppressive. Could you defer the loan for a few months?

    I already maxed out my deferments because of a health issue unfortunately. I can't find anyone to consolidate my private loans because of the horrible reputation my school has with defaulting. And I'm locked in at a horribly fucking bad interest rate because I had absolutely no credit-history going into college short of a $200 credit card and limit.

Sign In or Register to comment.