As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

GolemGolem of SandSaint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Anyway I noticed Hunter and Druid Threads and decided to get some feedback on the priest class, their new skills and their new talents.

Personaly I Feel that the Protection Tree of Warriors and the Resto Trees of Druids and Shamans, all allow for specing for a specific use.

You can spec Prot to be the ultimate Tank, specing this way doesnt make you dps and going into protection is not an option for DPS builds. (I could be wrong what I've gathered from lurking)

Druids have very few DPS skills in the Resto Tree same with shamans, they allow for the addition of godly heal spells, and shields, and massive healing bonuses.

The priest holy tree lacks this. No new heals besides the AOE renew (which deserved to be a 41 point talent as much as as lightwell is a 31 point, meaning not at all) and mainly a smattering of healing bonuses mixed in with DPS focused talents.

The 2 new heals we got arnt worth the points (ie Shadowmend and Circle of Renewal) to get them. Instead of making the Trees more focused to a specialation the Shadow and Holy Trees have been muddled with talents that have no purpose towards the goal of each tree (DPS and Healing Respectivly)

Please feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

Golem on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    You have better healing than a druid or shaman. They cannot compete unless they spec for healing. Thus, you are open to having some damage talents.

And honestly, the damage talents ain't much to fret over. Several help healing too (reduced cast time, +crit, etc.), and Searing Light is a mere two points.

Druids have no talents in Resto that help both offense and healing at the same time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Pfft, these new talents just make Shadow Priests all the more unstoppable. Instant nuke that needs to kill it's enemy or it dings you? Pfft, SHIP IT IN.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • LejinLejin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My mains not a priest but talking with a shadow priest in our guild he was happy with the new Shadow Heal. He didnt see it as "muddling" down the shadow tree but simply as adding more "utitilty" to the tree.

It should be noted he was speaking from a more PVP perspective.

Lejin on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    You have better healing than a druid or shaman. They cannot compete unless they spec for healing. Thus, you are open to having some damage talents.

And honestly, the damage talents ain't much to fret over. Several help healing too (reduced cast time, +crit, etc.), and Searing Light is a mere two points.

Druids have no talents in Resto that help both offense and healing at the same time.

Rorus Raz: Turning every fucking Wow thread into a discussion about Druids since 2004.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Rorus Raz: Turning every fucking Wow thread into a discussion about Druids since 2004.

Hey, give the rest of us some credit.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • wanaflapwanaflap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Isn't there a priest thread?

Choirboy or something...too lazy to search.

wanaflap on
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lejin wrote:
    My mains not a priest but talking with a shadow priest in our guild he was happy with the new Shadow Heal. He didnt see it as "muddling" down the shadow tree but simply as adding more "utitilty" to the tree.

I too am talknig from a PVP percpective, i can drop shadowform and desperate prayer then pick form bck up if i have to. most of the time druids, pally and etc are there to get your back, and its your responceability to DPS and heal through Shields, and Embrace. Leave the healing to the ppl speced healing

Golem on
  • jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mass Dispel + Unstable Affliction = ROFL

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
    edited September 2006
    Golem wrote:
    Lejin wrote:

I too am talknig from a PVP percpective, i can drop shadowform and desperate prayer then pick form bck up if i have to. most of the time druids, pally and etc are there to get your back, and its your responceability to DPS and heal through Shields, and Embrace. Leave the healing to the ppl speced healing

Yeah, that 30 minute cooldown heal completely solves the problem of keeping your health up.
    :roll:

Don't forget, priests get shadow word: death as well. Having shadow mend to heal back any lost health from that will be a big incentive to use that powerful, 6 second cooldown instant nuke.

Septus on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    30? Isn't Desperate Prayer 10 minutes now?

I mean, not something you can spam, but at least while grinding and raiding, it seems to help do the trick for me.

PvP, yeah, probably going to have to rely on shields/screams to keep out of trouble more often than not, assuming you don't get gang banged by two rogues and a hunter.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2006
    Its also not like you have to get the shadow heal.

Lejin on
  • Vicious FishesVicious Fishes Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lejin wrote:

We don't have to get Lightwell either but at some point we would like top tier talents that are appealing.

Vicious Fishes on
  • apollotreatinguapollotreatingu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Lejin wrote:

We don't have to get Lightwell either but at some point we would like top tier talents that are appealing.

Look at the rogue trees then talk about appealing top tier talents.

Our new combat 41pt talent is actually a dps decrease.

apollotreatingu on
    Hey guys I got an avatar, can I hang out now?
    I'll let you ride my bike!
  • JPSJPS Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    1) Mass dispel will also do some nifty tricks like dispel paladin shields, as said here by a Blizzard rep:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=21022576&pageNo=1&sid=1#8

2) If you only stick to one very specific job in PvP, you're pretty bad and I thank you for the free honor while rolling over you in BGs. Versatility is key.

3) Swapping out of shadowform, healing, then swapping back in is insanely mana intensive, not to mention time-consuming. It is far more time and mana efficient to just throw out that new heal. Global cooldown is 1.5s. You do the math. You want to flash heal yourself or your teammate, just ask the enemy to stop for 4.5s for a single 1.5s cast single heal so you can shift, cast, then shift back. I'm sure they'll understand.

4) All classes in the expansion will be contributing to damage in PvE. Everyone's 5% increased damage talents and 2% crit and junk like that will add up to incredible amounts. If you like spamming flash heal and looking at bars go up and down instead of the entire encounter as a whole, then stay in Azeroth. Everyone speccing for a very specific use and only doing a very specific job makes for some incredibly boring encounters. Think all of MC. Everyone adapting to the situation and doing multiple jobs makes for some awesome encounters. Think C'thun.

JPS on
    edited September 2006
    Lejin wrote:

I concur, that was more directed to people that think they will be required to heal in shadow form. Its not like these talents are final. I am sure some members of all classes want to see changes on the end tier talents.

As for the top end rogue combat talent I currently dont plan on getting it.

Instead I plan on 30/31.

Lejin on
  • Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JPS wrote:
    3) Swapping out of shadowform, healing, then swapping back in is insanely mana intensive, not to mention time-consuming. It is far more time and mana efficient to just throw out that new heal. Global cooldown is 1.5s. You do the math. You want to flash heal yourself or your teammate, just ask the enemy to stop for 4.5s for a single 1.5s cast single heal so you can shift, cast, then shift back. I'm sure they'll understand.

thats why you leave the healing to the healers. the point of shadowform is to forsake one part of being of priest in favour of an other, the second you transform you're a ranged nuker. expecting that person to heal makes just as much sense as asking a mage for a HAEL PLZ.

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
    edited September 2006
    JPS wrote:

thats why you leave the healing to the healers. the point of shadowform is to forsake one part of being of priest in favour of an other, the second you transform you're a ranged nuker. expecting that person to heal makes just as much sense as asking a mage for a HAEL PLZ.

Thanks for the free honor as you expect your teammates to always be there and always be in a position to do their very specific job while I disrupt people attempting to CC and heal.

Being inflexible like that in PvP is a great way to get stomped by experienced groups and/or people who actually think and adapt to situations.

JPS on
  • evilashhevilashh Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Golem wrote:
    I too am talknig from a PVP percpective, i can drop shadowform and desperate prayer then pick form bck up if i have to.

So the 41 point shadow talent is slightly less useful for shadow speced human or dwarf priests, in one rarely seen situation, once every 30 minutes. That's what you are complaining about?

What's the mana cost of desperate prayer, and what's the mana cost to cast Shadowform? Adding together the mana costs of both of those, plus the global cooldowns, and I'll be a shadowmend would still end up being a better option than your current solution. Plus you can use it more than once every half hour, you can use it on other people, and it will take into account your +healing bonus at a similiar rate to a flash heal. (I don't believe desperate prayer has any + healing bonus as it is instant cast correct?)

I'm curious to see if the 5% increased spell damage taken while dots are up is for all damage, or just your damage. That plus the improved shadow vulnerability would make a shaodw priest a huge buff to a raid. The reflective damage shield and 60% damage reducer would be nice additions to PVP, and while the 41 point holy talent has me underwelmed a bit, it would at least put priests back on top as the unquestioned best healing class.

evilashh on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    >60 racial spells plz!!!

Panda4You on
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:

I'm curious to see if the 5% increased spell damage taken while dots are up is for all damage, or just your damage.

Your raid's spell damage, not just your own. Most classes (if not all) will get abilities similar to this. It's an attempt to diversify PvE builds while having synergy between classes instead of the old way of simply replacing a primary spec raider with an off-spec raider.

For instance Warriors have a talent that increases all melee DPS by 5% if the target has rend/deep wounds. Paladins have that 2% crit thing at 41 points. Etc.

JPS on
  • AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    So the 41 point shadow talent is slightly less useful for shadow speced human or dwarf priests, in one rarely seen situation, once every 30 minutes. That's what you are complaining about?

10 minute cooldown on DP, but you're otherwise correct.

Adimax on
  • Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Panda4You wrote:
    >60 racial spells plz!!!

are there any? well, will there

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JPS wrote:

Yes, because being able to heal yourself in pvp with the shadowform mitigation up and your SW:Pain still doing 15% more damage would suck so much. :roll:

As far as soloing goes, you have a heal for yourself without having deal with the high mana cost and time of shifting in and out of shadowform. And for raids you now have 5% more spell damage for all classes, that seems like a great buff that I'm sure every mage and lock would love.

We now have better crit chance on our 2 spells that can crit, which was a problem. We have better mana efficiency on our primary damage spells in mind flay and mind blast (mind control wtf?). Shadow resilience seems pretty awful though, can't imagine why that's so high, but spell warding is so low.

Shadow and disc definitely came out smelling like roses, but some of you are just whiny little babies and the prospect of a heal in shadowform makes you think you have to spec for it. Plus you will have to heal with it in raids.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lejin wrote:

Look at the rogue trees then talk about appealing top tier talents.

Our new combat 41pt talent is actually a dps decrease.

*sigh*

No, it is not a fucking DECREASE. The only reason people are spewing that stupid shit is they assume that when the talent prevents a dodge from Backstab, Sinister Strike, etc. that it will not crit, when that obviously is not the case. They wouldn't make a fucking talent that decreased your DPS.

Mgcw on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Any info on the blood elves' racial abilities?

supertall on
  • SeuSeu Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like what I see in the shadow tree so far, the 15% crit to mind blast and SW: death is awesome, the improved shadow weaving is really cool, shadow resilience is neat too, especially with all those pesky trinket mages running around. Shadow Mend... at first I thought it was pretty lame, thinking it was just as easy to drop shadow form and toss a heal, but if you think about its uses in solo and group pvp, I think it's going to be a really good spell. Being able to Flash Heal with the 15% dmg reduction of shadow form is already pretty good, but if you are healing out of form and your holy school gets locked by a counter spell/spell lock then you have a back up heal to rely on.

I've always hated the Holy tree though, the prospect of speccing in like 2 or 3 talents for the sole purpose of being able to down rank and use a healing spell I learned at like level 20-something has never appealed to me. Obviously you can tell from this that I don't raid anything past MC on my priest. Lightwell is a garbage spell and I simply can't believe that all they did to it was reduce the CD by 2 minutes. I don't want to get into an argument with anyone over this, but there really isn't anything in holy that makes me say to myself, "ooh that's cool!" or whatever, like I do with swiftmend. I've played my buddy's resto druid in MC and ZG and it was a hell of a lot more fun than healing ever was/is on my priest. Nothing added in BC changes this fact for me. The only holy talent I see that is cool is blessid resilience, but even so, it's only 1 talent.

Seu on
    edited September 2006
    So here's a question... If you mind control a priest and shadow word: death shows up as castable on the pet bar, could you then cast it a bunch of times on a non-friendly npc or oppositing faction player and come close to killing both the MC's target and the MC'd priest at the same time?... That would be the ultimate in in /laugh humiliation right there. With it's 6 second cooldown, you could cast it a bunch of times assuming the damage doesn't break the MC.

Also, what happens when that holy talent to ensure no crits can hit you for 6 seconds procs and then a rogue hits you with their 100% guarenteed crit talent? Hmmm.

*editied to clarify the first question and add the second quesiton.

evilashh on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    So here's a question... If you mind control a priest and shadow word: death shows up as castable on the pet bar, could you then cast it a bunch of times on a non-friendly npc or oppositing faction player and come close to killing them both at the same time... That would be the ultimate in in /laugh humiliation right there. With it's 6 second cooldown, you could cast it a bunch of times assuming the damage doesn't break the MC.
    Mind control only allows you to move the player around and auto attack at 20% slower speeds. The gnomish mind control cap automaticly plays the character, usually blowing long cooldowns.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:

He mentioned druids in the first post.

Shit, let me buy your next set of contacts. Your current brand sucks.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    So here's a question... If you mind control a priest and shadow word: death shows up as castable on the pet bar, could you then cast it a bunch of times on a non-friendly npc or oppositing faction player and come close to killing them both at the same time... That would be the ultimate in in /laugh humiliation right there. With it's 6 second cooldown, you could cast it a bunch of times assuming the damage doesn't break the MC.
    Mind control only allows you to move the player around and auto attack at 20% slower speeds. The gnomish mind control cap automaticly plays the character, usually blowing long cooldowns.

So Mind Control works differently when you MC a player versus a NPC?

evilashh on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JPS wrote:
    JPS wrote:

Thanks for the free honor as you expect your teammates to always be there and always be in a position to do their very specific job while I disrupt people attempting to CC and heal.

Being inflexible like that in PvP is a great way to get stomped by experienced groups and/or people who actually think and adapt to situations.

Amen to that. The best PvPers are the ones that know how to use all their skills instead of just the tree they're specced for.

A good friend of mine plays a feral druid, and as a cat he really is a killing machine. He complains that people ignore the utility of druids and look at them only as healers.... But he himself never gets out of cat form. OK, well he's now ignoring the utility of his class. It makes me laugh when other feral druids pop out of cat form and hibernate him...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Emo KidEmo Kid Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I hate to bitch but the priest talents make me cry. Of course, these are far from being finalized but still...

There are too many damage talents and too few options in terms of healing talents in the holy and discipline trees. I obviously would expect differently of our healing tree, and the discipline tree should at least be beneficial to both healing and damage dealing builds, especially for the game's primary healing class. It just feels like we're being given too few options with the current talent trees, and the options we are being given are pretty mediocre.

Also, try as I might I cannot come up with a practical application for Prayer of Mending.

Shadow looks good though. My only issue is Shades of Darkness, which maybe an effective spell, but it seems really uninspired. I don't know why people are so upset over Shadow Mending.
    evilashh wrote:
    Mind Controling an NPC gives you access to all their spells. Mind Controling a player just lets you walk around and melee.

Emo Kid on
  • Vicious FishesVicious Fishes Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    evilashh wrote:

Yes, people bitch about Priest's launching them off high places, but once you play with the spell enough in PvP you realize that's really all it's good for.

Vicious Fishes on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    evilashh wrote:

Yes, people bitch about Priest's launching them off high places, but once you play with the spell enough in PvP you realize that's really all it's good for.

is the game still bugged where if you die while mc'd you can't rez? because you know, that's a pretty goddamn viable thing to bitch about.

Angry on
    edited September 2006
    evilashh wrote:
    evilashh wrote:

Actually, a priest MC'd me in AV and used me to pull Drek. After I died, Drek aggroed on him, who was a safe distance away.

You can't control your pet during MC (put you can Divine Shield, use trinkets, and so on), so I couldn't disrupt him.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I understand people being upset about shadow mending. You'd expect the 41 point shadow talent to be damage. I mean, if you're specced that far into shadow, obviously that is your focus.

I can see it being quite useful in PvP for self healing (if it allows that). But I still wouldn't count on gettting a heal from anyone in shadowform in current BGs. And in raids, eh they'll probably either be healing or shadow (slim chance but some make it).

Really the only thing I see about this spell is increasing shadowpriest survivability. More power to them.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I would just like to say Mind Controling (w/ cap not priest) people on their mounts is awesome. Can you do it with a priest as well?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    EWom wrote:
    I would just like to say Mind Controling (w/ cap not priest) people on their mounts is awesome. Can you do it with a priest as well?
    You can, but it has a range. And it's a channeled spell. You can't run around with them very much. Good for getting someone off the LM quickly though, with a good chance of killing them.

exis on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Derrick wrote:
    I understand people being upset about shadow mending. You'd expect the 41 point shadow talent to be damage. I mean, if you're specced that far into shadow, obviously that is your focus.

I can see it being quite useful in PvP for self healing (if it allows that). But I still wouldn't count on gettting a heal from anyone in shadowform in current BGs. And in raids, eh they'll probably either be healing or shadow (slim chance but some make it).

Really the only thing I see about this spell is increasing shadowpriest survivability. More power to them.
    1) drop shadowform
    2) cast flash heal
    3) recast shadowform

I just saved myself some talent points. Whee!

exis on
    edited September 2006
    exis wrote:
    Derrick wrote:

1) drop shadowform
    2) cast flash heal
    3) recast shadowform

I just saved myself some talent points. Whee!

At the cost of a global cooldown and a bunch of mana. Whee?

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.