Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4e] Wake of the Hrannaseth: Check New Thread

Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Critical Failures
Ye olde Backstory
65 years have passed since the time of troubles - the fall of the last great emperor at the hands of an invading Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead. With the empire's armies thrown into the breach between this world and the Shadowfell, nomadic and barbarian tribes from beyond the Great sea to the West invaded and pillaged. Only recently have they left for their icy home beyond the waves.

Mandatory Worship of the Raven Queen now a thing of the past, local dieties and tribal religions are springing up to fill the gaps once held by the pantheon of the Raven Queen, Bahamut, and Corelleon. New territorial gods, bloodstained with faces painted with Woad, sit as graven images above the mantles of houses from Laonland on the North Coast, to the Pragonssen forest in the south.

One small hamlet clings to the old ways, and the old temple, now held together more with ivy than with mortar, still holds services for the three Old Gods of Death, Justice, and the Arcane. It's militia falters, but the people have entrusted their hope to 5 young adventurers, gifted with the spark of destiny, who have recently come of age in this small collection of faithful from every race...

You are the Heroes of Theafast.

Previous Adventures

Episode 1
Our intrepid heroes ventured into a heathen ziggurat in search of a missing little girl missing from Theafast. After many perilous adventures they defeated a demonic cultist and rescued the girl, along with a strange crystal. The elders of Theafast identified the crystal as a soul spark, although it's purpose remained unknown. The party resolved to follow up on a clue they found in the ziggurat, which the elders informed them was the emblem of the Blackrook clan of Dragonborn.

Episode 2 (Ongoing)
As they were readying to set out, the part was called to the gates of Theafast at the approach of a lone elf running from a horde of angry brigands. After the ruffians were handily dealt with the elf identified himself as Garrett, who was seeking to avenge his village, which he claimed had been destroyed by raiding Dragonborn of the Skybolt clan. Dismayed at the thought that his clan may have sunk so low, Zharash departed in order to discover the truth for himself, while the party went to investigate a mysterious ruin Garrett's village had discovered shortly before they were massacred.

The Party
Kuranes Human Wizard - dscrilla
Zharash Dragonborn Fighter - Kayne Red Robe (currently away from party while Kayne DMs)
Kilmihil Eladrin Ranger - Klepto
Kazarath Dragonborn Warlord - fletchsm
Grimrik Dwarven Paladin - Jebu
Gram Dwarven Cleric

The Time

Our usual meeting time is on Tuesdays at around 6:30pm PST, although we do occasionally meet other days if necessary.

Next Session
Friday September 19 at 6:30pm PST?

The Tools

We play with Maptool version 1.2.b32, which is the release candidate. So far no real issues have come up. We have attempted to meet up on Ventrilo, but most of us aren't very talkative, so if you don't have a mic or can't run Vent, you aren't missing a whole lot.

The Recruitment
We've heard nothing from asuma01 in quite a few sessions now, and nothing from enarch3t or Legionnaired in a couple, so we are looking at possibly three open slots here. I do have someone lined up for one of them, but attendance has been pretty shitty for about a month now, and I'd like that to stop. Characters are level 2 currently, will be level 3 shortly, and I'm pretty okay with whatever you decide to play.

Some notes, it would be best if your character worshiped one of the three true gods, but isn't required, also, the Hrannaseth barbarians were Tieflings, so if you want to play one, keep in mind the general populace, and possibly party, isn't going to be super firendly.

Kayne Red Robe on

• FletchsmFletchsm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I would be up for being either a cleric or a Warlord I guess. I am playing a Warlord in IRL and I am liking it so far, so if I can get you a character sheet by tonight or mythweavers or whatever. Would that be ok?

Haven't used maptools yet, but I assume it is pretty straightforward. But I can mess around with that this afternoon too. Any starting equipment I should have if I am starting at level 2 other than the normal stuff?

Just let me know.

[GIR is disguised as a government agent]
    Gir: I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me.
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That would be absolutely okay. Make sure you get the release candidate version of Maptool, the dev version has given people some buggyness. Nothing special other than the regular equipment for starting at higher than level one.

Feel free to hit me up on whatever IM program you are most comfortable with, I'll be online most of today.

edited August 2008
    Alright, no game this week, but I got some good responses from recruitment, so we should have a pretty full roster for next week if the new folks turn out.

(New folks: post your character sheets or pm them to me for addition to the op. Some character background is nice to, you have free reign more or less).

• BandorrBandorr Registered User
    edited August 2008
    What would characters joining start as?

I'm looking at the 4 character sheets and they are completely different. There is a level 3, couple level 2's and they all have different exp.

Also im free on tuesdays up until 10 CST[so 8 PST]

I plan on playing a tiefling warlock once i know how to set them up.
    What level, what exp, starting gold, items, etc.

Also if "tieflings" seem to be the bad guy i could just make it a gnome if you prefer.

• KleptoKlepto Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Good good. Nice to have a full roster again.

• JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got a Dwarven Paladin ready to go once I know what level he starts at and I pick out some magic items for him.

• dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Hi I am back, Welcome to the new folks! Are we playing this week Kayne?

edited September 2008
    Hell yes we are playing on Tuesday (Which I guess is today, stupid getting out of work at midnight). I dunno if the rest of the Tomb is quite long enough for a full session, so I guess I will see what I can do about a short mini-encounter chain after that.

edited September 2008
    Here's the paladin:

Grimrik Drogon

And some background:
    Spoiler:

edited September 2008
    I will be there, Time?

edited September 2008
    6pmish PST, I'll post when server goes up as per usual.

edited September 2008
    Server is up. IP is 72.192.145.119

Not sure about vent, I'll poll people when ya'll show up I guess.

edited September 2008
    Server is up. IP is 72.192.145.119

Not sure about vent, I'll poll people when ya'll show up I guess.

Which port?

edited September 2008
    Heh. What you guys saw in a room:
    Spoiler:
    What I saw in the same room:
    Spoiler:

I really like being able to stack objects and make some of them invisible, so if I need to make it look like the coffins just opened up I can.

Stand by for Arutha's Shield picture and stats, and a log of the conversation with Auruvayn, because it was hilarious.

Arutha's Shield
    aruthascrestcq1.png
    Worn by Prince Arutha at the Battle of White Foal Pass, this shield was designed to protect him from the fiery darts of the enemy.
    Item Slot: Arms
    Power (Daily): Immediate Interrupt. You can use this power
    when you are hit by a ranged attack with the fire descriptor. Reduce the damage
    dealt to you by the attack by 15.

Log:
    Spoiler:

edited September 2008
    So that ghost was a dick :lol: and I am glad we didn't get that first puzzle wrong.

I had a fun time last night, looking foward to next session. Will try to get a lot more maptool macros made now that I know how to do it.

edited September 2008
    Tuesday approaches! Everyone ready?

edited September 2008
    I be. My IRL game fell through this weekend so I am jonesing to play.

edited September 2008
    I'll be ready. I'll update my sheet at some point to reflect the new shield.

edited September 2008
    Game day folks, here's hoping I stop procrastinating at some point in the near future and actually put together the adventure. :D
    (Don't worry, I will).

Server should go up around 6.

edited September 2008
    Server is up, same info as last time.

edited September 2008
    Hey Guys,

I just found out i will be flying this Tuesday eve, I wont be able to make the game. So much for my first DM session. I could reschedule for Friday if that works for others.

• WestWest Registered User
    edited September 2008
    By the by, I think you've already filled up but if you have any more openings im available.

edited September 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I just found out i will be flying this Tuesday eve, I wont be able to make the game. So much for my first DM session. I could reschedule for Friday if that works for others.

I can do Friday, but I can also run a game on Tuesday if necessary (a short one probably, unless we take all session on one combat again).

edited September 2008
    Hey Guys,

I can do Friday, but I can also run a game on Tuesday if necessary (a short one probably, unless we take all session on one combat again).

I was trying to think of what we could have done differently to make the combat go quicker during last session.. and I think a lot of it was bad rolls. But maybe there is something else we can try.

I am also available for a Friday game this week.

edited September 2008
    I actually have a birthday party to go to this Tuesday as well as another one on Friday, so I may not be able to make it to a session this week. You guys could just assume that Grimrik got drunk in the tavern and passed out for a few days. :D

edited September 2008
    argh, could this be... indian summer?

I posted in the IC thread

edited September 2008
    Well I am out for tonight if that is when we were playing. Up in Ohio and we lost power on Sunday, still going strong 1880's style.

edited September 2008
    maybe we can spend some time in the In character thread to setup the story and such? Looks like we are missing this week. The IC thread features spell check, a log, and asynchronous communication. Its great for these situations.

edited September 2008
    We on for today?

edited September 2008
    I had a simple dungeon made but the total lack of updates made me doubt the game was on.
    I could do one this week, but with all the turnover I want to see what we are working with.

Roll Call!
    Who is still in this Game?

Also I would really like to make use of the IC thread for things like hanging in taverns and long discussions, saving Maptools for the action. If we continue I will post new OOC and IC threads for my tenure as DM.

Holla so I know your out there players!

edited September 2008
    I am still a go for tonight.. 10 minutes before hand. I really need to wait to drink the redbull till I know we are playing :rotate:

Edit: Guess no game tonight. Will check back if it is still on at all tomorrow.

edited September 2008
    Yeah just got home, dunno if we are on for later or what

edited September 2008
    eh well ill check back in a bit.

edited September 2008
    I had a simple dungeon made but the total lack of updates made me doubt the game was on.
    I could do one this week, but with all the turnover I want to see what we are working with.

Roll Call!

Also I would really like to make use of the IC thread for things like hanging in taverns and long discussions, saving Maptools for the action. If we continue I will post new OOC and IC threads for my tenure as DM.

I discovered while DMing that you can't really expect people to chat much in between games, there isn't much to talk about. Just stick with a regular schedule and update the day of or day before a game.

Personally, I prefer to do my RP on the fly with Maptool (and most importantly, the other characters around), as I always spend way to much time trying to post and it never really works out.

You are certainly welcome to make your own threads though, it's probably best for the DM to be able to update the thread.

Edit: Obviously I am available for tonight, but I will check back in periodically.

edited September 2008
    Hey Guys,

Lets do a quick encounter with whoever shows up, I will build the tavern and we can RP there and get the plot rolling again.

see you there

I see your point Kayne, we can just RP in maptools if that's what people prefer.

edited September 2008

Roll Call!

I discovered while DMing that you can't really expect people to chat much in between games, there isn't much to talk about. Just stick with a regular schedule and update the day of or day before a game.

Personally, I prefer to do my RP on the fly with Maptool (and most importantly, the other characters around), as I always spend way to much time trying to post and it never really works out.

You are certainly welcome to make your own threads though, it's probably best for the DM to be able to update the thread.

Edit: Obviously I am available for tonight, but I will check back in periodically.

yeah im horrible at RP. I think part of it is being new. but I think part of it is that my char is a taciturn eladrin racist, so im never sure what to say.

edited September 2008
    Looks like we have 3 with us at least. How does Wednesday at 6:30 pm Pac time sound to everyone? I will be on then tomorrow, we can start of in a tavern like proper adventurers.

edited September 2008
    edited September 2008
    Guess I should have logged back on last night. So today at 6:30 pst? I could swing that.

edited September 2008
    We are on for tonight. We are aiming for a 7:00 start time, but i will try to have the server up by 6:30 or so.