As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Must Haves?

gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
I just got a PS3 tonight, and I got MGS4 and will be picking up Disgaea 3 on Tuesday...

I already have a Xbox360 and a WII, so my gaming is pretty complete. I got the PS3 for the Blu-Ray and the two games listed, but I'm curious what other games are there out now that are "exclusive must haves"???

Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
PSN Id: gvandale
Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
gvandale on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted is pretty much top of that list. Excellent action adventure game. Amazing visuals, decent length, good gameplay and is really funny and well written with a decent plot.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For me the PS3 must haves are MGS4, Uncharted, and Warhawk. You've got the biggest of those covered, so you should probably get those other two. I also consider Heavenly Sword a must play. You should be able to find it for pretty decently cheap nowadays, and if you can get it for 20-30 bucks or something, then I'd say that's a must have also. Not $60 though, for most (I, personally, loved the game and didn't mind paying in full). Otherwise, just rent it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh...

I heard Resistance was pretty good.

MGS4 was okay.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pixel Junk Eden is a great value for 10 bucks, but it's not for everyone. The demo gives a good idea of the full game though.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have a PS3 (yet), but when I do pick one up, the Siren remake will be the first thing I download. $40 for a remake of one of the best survival horror games of all time. The PSN also has some quality cheap games I'd like to download like the Pixeljunk games & Super Stardust HD.

The remake of the XBox Ninja Gaiden is supposedly rather good and by now, it's probably available for pretty cheap.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heavenly Sword is pretty good, but sometimes feels clunky.

I'm going to second Unchartered it is a solid game, graphically great and very smooth gameplay, but the story feels like a weekender adventure flick.

*shuffles through games library*

Uhm... Ratchet and Clank is also pretty fun.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted Uncharted Uncharted UNCHARTED

also, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Warhawk. Little Big Planet will be coming out soon and it looks awesome so you should at least keep your eye on it.

I second Heavenly Sword. Rent it or pick it up cheap. It's definitely worth a play.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    Warhawk.

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but can't find it anywhere, I must be blind or somthing.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

I'm going to second Unchartered it is a solid game, graphically great and very smooth gameplay, but the story feels like a weekender adventure flick.

*shuffles through games library*

Uhm... Ratchet and Clank is also pretty fun.

the Ratchet and Clank downloadable game just came out, can't wait to get home and finally play it.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Warhawk.

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but can't find it anywhere, I must be blind or somthing.

I'm going to assume since you are posting on an internet forum you have an internet connection.

Grab it from PSN.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Resistance is down to $30. Heavenly Sword is fun, but not $60 fun. Uncharted is a lot of fun.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted as everyone else has said
    Pixel Junk Monsters (Best played coop)
    Warhawk is very good if you like online shooters. (if not skip it)

Not necessarily must haves but fun.
    Folklore is pretty fun and cheap get if you like (action) RPGs
    Pixel Junk Eden is a lot of fun but gets very challenging towards the end. (which is why I moved it to 2nd teir)
    Resistance Get if you like first person shooters. The graphics don't look as nice as some of the newer games, but it has a pretty good story (imo) and fun gameply. (Also can catch you up for Resistance 2)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I am definately getting Little Big Planet, and I forgot about Uncharted. I'll have to "Q" up heavenly sword, i've heard mixed things about it.

thanks!

gvandale on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Everyday shooter is probably one of the best games ever if you are at all a fan of the melding of music and gameplay and awesome electric guitar. Echochrome is a really cool puzzle title. If you regularly have some friends to game with, calling all cars is a blast multiplayer. Flow is, as always a must have. Resistance is a good fps. I woulcn't say it's call of duty good, but I personally enjoyed it more than Halo. Story is decent, and the guns are pretty unique on the whole. I'd say rent it to play through the single player, so you'll be caught up on the story for resistance 2 which is due out soon. Folklore is a pretty meh game, I think. Pretty as all hell, but fairly tedious, and excruciatingly slow at times.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted, MGS4, Warhawk and... that's all.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Warhawk.

I'm going to assume since you are posting on an internet forum you have an internet connection.

Grab it from PSN.

Does it still come new with the ear piece bundled?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ninja Gaiden and Assassin's Creed are now $29.99 and in red boxes showing they are basically PS3 greatest hits games. Both are excellent games and I would vouch for getting Uncharted as well, but it is pretty short if that matters to you. Check out the PSN store too - lots of great PS3 games (like XBL Arcade) along with PSOne and PSP games for sale too. Wipeout HD is also on the horizon and looking pretty good to me from the video they put out. Warhawk should be $29.99 if you see it in a store and is the same price if you download it.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heavenly Sword & Uncharted: Drake's Fortune are amazing games.

They are both beautiful and fun to play, but seem like interactive films.

They are my top 2 games, followed closely by MGS3. (#3)

Honorable mention goes to Condemned 2, if you've played the first game.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Warhawk.

Grab it from PSN.

Does it still come new with the ear piece bundled?

If you can still find one in-store, yes. It's $30 now.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm gonna go ahead and third or fourth Ratchet and Clank. I picked it up recently on a random stop at Best Buy after my D&D session and it's really good.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ratchet and Clank is probably the best game on the system (and one of the best platformers of all time). Uncharted and Resistance are close seconds. MGS4 is kind of underwhelming.

Haven't played Warhawk but it looks fabulous. This Christmas you'll have Little Big Planet and Resistance 2- not a bad time to be a PS3 owner.

zilo on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just get Mercenaries 2.

Just get it.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ditto to Uncharted.

Since you already have a 360 then that takes a lot of PS3 must haves out of the equation.

MGS4 is pretty awesome.

Pixeljunk Eden, Everyday Shooter, etc.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I'm going to have to fifth Ratchet and Clank. I almost passed on it because i thought it was going to be a generic "collect X amount of Y" platformer, but what i got was one of the funniest and most awesome action adventure games I've ever played. I also snapped up and instantly completed Quest for booty, Short but very awesome. In fact I'm going to fifth, sixth and seventh R&C TOD.

Uncharted - Yeah...what everyone else has said.

Heavenly Sword - Good buy for cheap. I went in with an open mind and loved it, i can imagine people who hyped it up and grabbed for full RRP weren't quite as happy.

Since I'm covering games already mentioned I'd love to throw my hat at motorstorm, But its hard to recommend now with the obviously better sequel just around the corner. GRID seems like the winner for driving games on the PS3 nowadays, But i haven't grabbed it yet.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, is a great "arcadey" golf game with some pretty kickass online options (online tournaments, same console play etc)

Warhawk is my favorite PS3 game hands down. If you enjoy Battlefield type games, you'll really like this one ... and they release new content for it all the time. Be warned that the learning curve to fly Warhawks is pretty steep.

Singstar has provided me and my friends many drunken karaoke moments ... be prepared though to spend alot of extra cash on new songs.

Rachet & Clank is the first platformer I've played that really came close to Pixar movie quality. The first level was off the hook. I traded it in (I prefer multiplayer titles) but it's a stellar title if single player games are your thing.

On another note, is Resistance still worth picking up now that it can be had for 30 bones? I have no intention of ever touching the single player campaign I'd be picking it up soley for multiplayer. Waste of money at this point?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - everything they say is true. Though, to be honest it took me until I beat it on Crushing to really appreciate how awesome the combat mechanics are.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - everything they say is true, but if you've ever owned a PS2 you already know that.

Siren: Blood Curse - the first true survival horror title of the high-def age. Effectively combines combat with stealth, and an excellent story - budget priced for $40.00 on PSN.

Lair - don't buy this piece of shit. I don't care what anyone's told you about there being new analog controls and now the PS3 poops kittens. Lair sucks, and if you're sure you want to find out for yourself, check out the demo from the Hong Kong PSN store. It uses the analog controls. Still sucks.

Echochrome & Pixeljunk Eden - very good but not for everyone. I've played Eden (and BC Rearmed, and Quest for Booty, come to think of it) a helluva lot more than Echochrome. But it is cool, mind-bending and very unique. Try the demos.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Time Crisis 4 It's a light gun game. The only next gen light gun game. You can get it for a cheap price at most stores and it's actually pretty awesome, I'm going through it at least once or twice a week.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I kind of like Folklore.

Actually, make that a lot. It's not really that polished, but I like it as the action rpg it is.

I can understand if some people aren't really that cool with it, though: it's a little linear and repetitive.

But it has a nice style and I love its combat.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A lot of the suggestions didn't take into account that I've had a 360 since day one, so most of my gaming is done on that. I really just got the PS3 for the exclusives that I couldn't miss (MGS, Disgaea, GOW, Little Big Planet, etc).

I appreciate all the feedback and have already added uncharted, resistance, and heavenly sword to my game q on gamefly. (i rarely buy games that I haven't tried at some point)

Thanks!

gvandale on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    I kind of like Folklore.

Actually, make that a lot. It's not really that polished, but I like it as the action rpg it is.

I can understand if some people aren't really that cool with it, though: it's a little linear and repetitive.

But it has a nice style and I love its combat.

Folklore has an incredible visual style but little game to back it up.

Get it cheap if you can as that kind of wow game to show off your new TV.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I cannot understand that nobody mentioned Motorstorm or GT5Prolouge :!:

We are talking two very different racing games that both offer a lot of racing fun. Motorstorm is like a Hollywood take on of road racing and GT5Prologue is a sim with mostly hot street cars. The later is criticized by some which calls it a demo but in reality you get a pretty good deal for your money (it's not a full price game).

Anyway there are demo's available of most PS3 games so the #1 tip is to simply download loads of those and see what takes your fancy.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I kinda want to play Final Fantasy 9 again (my favorite) but I no longer have any Sony console. Does it exist for PC like 7 and 8?

Zidane is fucking awesome and so is Vivi for the win.

Cloud, Squall and Tidus are a bunch of emo bitches.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I cannot understand that nobody mentioned Motorstorm or GT5Prolouge :!:

Motorstorm was hilarious racing fun, but with the new one coming out before the end of the year with lots of improvements, there's really no reason to get the old one, except for the price.

I have to 5th or 6th the reccomendation on Uncharted, it's just fun.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    do you like racing games? do you like Ferraris?

If yes to either of the above, Ferrari Challenge is a must have, if yes to both, you should probably buy spare pants 1st

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just the good exclusives besides MGS4 and Disgaea 3? OK:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    - An awesome PS3 platforming/action game that leverages the power of the console. It sets a high bar for not only the series, but for the action-platformer genre. Expands and refines the series' excellent running/gunning/platforming gameplay, with fantastic production value, a great sense of humor, and endearing characters. If you loved the original Ratchet & Clank games on the PS2, you'll love everything that Tools of Destruction has to offer.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    - It's easily one of the best single-player games on PlayStation 3, or any platform, from last year. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune really shines by borrowing elements of other games and making an experience all to its own that can be enjoyed greatly by those that give it a shot. Creative platforming, interesting puzzles, and exciting third person combat, combined with an intriguing story that constantly pulls you further into the game. The final sum is far greater than the individual parts.

Resistance Fall of Man
    - Resistance: Fall of Man draws players into a deep, frightening story that rewrites the 20th century and pits the United States and Britain against a horrific species of unknown origin. In addition to an epic single player campaign, the game features co-op, split screen multiplayer and highly customizable online gameplay.

Warhawk - As an online multiplayer action game, Warhawk is an excellent game with good graphics, great controls that you can change, and one that runs smoothly even with 32 people playing at once. The constant pressure of combat, fuelled by rapid five-second respawns, keeps the action ripping along at a formidable pace.

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
    - Newest edition of the fantastic Hot Shots golf franchise. Finely honed, beautifully crafted and offering a mountainous challenge, World Tour reels you in with stat boosts and loyalty rewards and never lets you go. Highly addicting gameplay, easy to pick up and play, but rewarding to master.

Heavenly Sword
    - a beautiful third person action game in the vein of God of War, Heavenly sword delivers constant beat'em up action and follows a unique and interesting story told through gorgeous, high production value cutscenes and beautiful environments. Hundreds of enemies to be slain God of war style. Be cautioned as the game is rather short at 6 hours long; and the combat system is fun, but not as deep as God of War or Devil May Cry.

Motorstorm
    - a gorgeous off-road racing game. This is one of the better racers on the system with a ton of variety, heart pounding action, unique track design, and variety in vehicles. Online multiplayer.

PSN:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
    - the newest episode of the Ratchet & Clank games, this PSN title is the first of a series of episodic action-platforming content. The game stays true to the roots of the series and builds upon the recent Tools of Destruction. By its nature, this episode is short but appropriately priced - but don't let that fool you, as it's still a true Ratchet game, with great graphics, exciting levels, fun shooting/platforming combat, and of course witty writing and humor. New Light/Dark gameplay: Illuminate dark areas and use your wits to survive encounters with enemies that live in the dark. New Pirate Puzzles: Mix brew, manipulate shadows, and play tunes to find hidden booty

Siren: Blood Curse
    - great survival horror game on the PS3, the story follows a TV crew from America, who has journeyed to research the urban myth of the Vanished Village, a cursed village. In order to survive, they must defend themselves from the vicious Shibito, the living dead, and other terrifying monsters. One of the great surv. horror games to arrive this gen, even those gamers who don't care for the genre may actually get drawn in thanks to the serialized, episodic pacing and well-presented mystery waiting to be solved. The game's focus on story and substance rather than just shooting zombies really makes this one worth picking up if you are getting a little bored with your run-of-the-mill horror shooters.

Super Stardust HD
    - Super Stardust HD for the PS3 is a fully updated version of the classic game Stardust. Your mission is simple: destroy everything in sight.. With five highly detailed 3D planets to save, hordes of enemies and asteroids to destroy, and various game play modes, Super Stardust HD presents super intense action. Its visuals, gameplay and intricacy make it the best downloadable shooter available since "Geometry Wars: Evolved" – end of story.

PixelJunk Monsters
    - Inspired by the popular and addictive "tower defense" genre, PixelJunk Monsters takes the simple real-time strategy concept of building, researching and base defending and presents it in a uniquely attractive style. With meticulously hand-drawn 2D art, PixelJunk Monsters recreates the look of a classic with crisp graphics designed for optimal viewing in Full 1080p HD

PixelJunk Eden
    - a puzzler/platforming with a mesmerizing visual style, you play as a spider spinning webs across falling petals to defeat enemies and collect Orbs in the levels to proceed. Easy to pick up and play, captivating high-score centric puzzle gameplay.

might also consider GT5P, because while it's not exactly a "full game," it still has a decent amount of content for a lower price.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good list Slash, but Everday Shooter isn't an exclusive (it's available on Steam and has low enough requirements that you don't really need a gaming PC to run it). Also the list has a distinct lack of Siren: Blood Curse.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    man, slash can only come up with seven titles outside PSN?

Disgaea 3 alone is almost enough to warrant a purchase for me, but there's nothing else!

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I keep monitoring these PS3 Must Haves threads in an effort to convince myself that there's enough good stuff on the system to make it worth buying. I have a 360 and I *want* a PS3, I just don't know if I can justify it.

Grah!

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Haven't flipped it yet, but I'm around half way through, and what came to mind was: "Matthew McConaughey Treasure flick". Not to say that the story is bad, but the general theme felt like that kind of movie.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I keep hearing great stuff about Uncharted, and definitely plan to pick it up. But come on, it's nearly 1 year old at this point, isn't it due for a price drop? Ditto Ratchet and Clank.

I hate hate hate buying games only to have them drop in price (in this case, potentially by half!) after only a couple weeks/months.

So ... yeah on those games, but it might not be a bad idea to wait until they become greatest hits.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph