As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suikoden Tierkreis - out now

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meeeeeh! from what ive heard so far, the way the game sounds it should be called "tales of" suikoden...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Famitsu wrote:
    - Suikoden Tierkreis (9/8/9/8, 34 points): Suikoden has never been the most high-profile of RPG series (it fell a bit under the radar circa the fourth game), but this DS entry might be the comeback that gamers have been waiting for. Everyone found the story "fascinating" and fast-paced, and "from the way the story unfolds to the battle system, there are no obvious flaws to be found." Some reviewers brought up the time required to experience all the gameplay mechanics on offer; others were "a bit dissatisfied with the overwrought enemy animation and auto-battle AI, but those are niggles compared to how polished the game is."

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    yay, im reading some pretty positive things about this one, looking like a winner after all.

edit: for some interesting info, go here: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3171794&p= basically what theyre saying is, screw everything we made up to now, were making a new world... meh.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone who likes 3 and 4 should be hanged, disemboweled and shot, not necessarily on that order!

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thorion wrote: »
    Anyone who likes 3 and 4 should be hanged, disemboweled and shot, not necessarily on that order!

o_O

3 isn't bad, considering it was the first 3D Suikoden.

It has its flaws, but that doesn't make it a bad game altogether.

Can't speak for 4.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    4 was pretty bad, but maybe not quite "anyone who likes it should be killed" bad.

3 was pretty good, and even some peoples' favorite. I didn't like some of the changes they made over 2 but it wasn't bad by any means.

Schide on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    4 was pretty bad, but maybe not quite "anyone who likes it should be killed" bad.

3 was pretty good, and even some peoples' favorite. I didn't like some of the changes they made over 2 but it wasn't bad by any means.

I enjoyed 3 actually. Especially considering it was the first 3d. 4 was a travesty though.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3 was an abomination. Even 4 was better than that.

and I believe I said it before, the only real bad thing about 4 is that it was too fucking short story wise, artificially lengthened by an insane random battle encounter rate.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    well it all doesnt matter, as you can read int he interview they have no plans whatsoever to continue the original series as all they want is attract as many new players a spossible.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

That's your opinion. The opinion of a clearly unhinged lunatic.

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish they wouldn't use those crappy almost PS1 quality 3D graphics. I like my old school 2D sprites. Especially in my Suikoden games.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3 was excellent and anyone that disagrees has no taste.

I understand I'm in the minority in thinking 4 was better than 1 and 5, but I will not be swayed on the above point. Suikoden 3 is the best in the series.

Anyway, looking forward to this.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish they wouldn't use those crappy almost PS1 quality 3D graphics. I like my old school 2D sprites. Especially in my Suikoden games.

I'm fine with the simple 3D graphics, I just wish it weren't super-deformed. Everyone looks like a precious moments figure.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm fine with the simple 3D graphics, I just wish it weren't super-deformed. Everyone looks like a precious moments figure.

well that style worked fine for the FF games in my opinion, but then, up to tierkreis final fantasy games had always been children games in comparison.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thorion wrote: »

That's your opinion. The opinion of a clearly unhinged lunatic.

That's some good name calling there, friend.

Schide on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    carmofin wrote: »
    well it all doesnt matter, as you can read int he interview they have no plans whatsoever to continue the original series as all they want is attract as many new players a spossible.

I really don't understand this type of logic. You want to get new people into a franchise but then you don't offer them anything new afterwords? Does Konami have a huge backstock of games they need to get rid off or something?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    carmofin wrote: »

I really don't understand this type of logic. You want to get new people into a franchise but then you don't offer them anything new afterwords? Does Konami have a huge backstock of games they need to get rid off or something?

well. its no secret, suikoden 5 was a huge flop, sales numbers were desastrous to a point where i was seriously wondering if we were ever going to see another suikoden at all. i mean, suikoden 4 sold BAD, but suikoden 5 really introduced a new level of failure. even here on the board, ask anyone and they'll most likely be in the "oh yea, suikoden 5... i have to play that some day..." category.
    and so their decission seems to have been that they need a new direction. dumb the game down into a typical happyanimeherosetsoutonsomequestsurroundedbyemofriends-theme and watch the sales improve. the typical suikoden fanbase doesn't seem to be able to keep the series alive, so i understand why they dumped it, even if i hate the thought.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It sucks, because I understand that Suikoden 5 was really good.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Have to disagree about 3. It was far from the best of the series, but it wasn't all that bad.

4 on the other hand, was a video game abortion.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It was quite good. I'd rank them: 2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Have to disagree about 3. It was far from the best of the series, but it wasn't all that bad.

Well it's not my favorite, my favorite is 2. I just know that some people in my thread and in other Suikoden discussions have said it's their favorite.

You know, whatever, as long as you're a fan of the series that's good enough for me.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Well it's not my favorite, my favorite is 2. I just know that some people in my thread and in other Suikoden discussions have said it's their favorite.

You know, whatever, as long as you're a fan of the series that's good enough for me.

My replying skills are pretty awful, I actually didn't mean to reply to you, but to Thorion. Sorry sir.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > Having my penis bitten off by a raccoon > 3

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I think 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > Having my penis bitten off by a raccoon > 3

i cant help but stare at your avatarpic and wonder, where does havign your penis bitten off by a dolphin fit in all of that?

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i spent a few hours with the japanese version today and whoa, im so sold on this one...
    this is probably the best looking, best sounding game on the DS period. its just so beautifull, i have no idea how all that fit on one cart, a few hours in theres still anime sequences everywhere, generous voice acting, outstanding soundtrack... i have no idea about the story as i didnt understand a word, but there was lots of dialogue, lots of different characters, basically most suikoden ingredients seemed to be there. graphics and audio were on about the level of final fantasy IX, for a suikoden title thats certainly something new.
    oh and i dont know how it works, but there was an actual world map for some parts. i think the world map on which you select your destination is actually split into several sets of subworldmaps that can freely explored.
    i want this... now...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Screw you all. This is all I need right now is another JRPG. Like Tales of Hearts isn't enough.

At least this one has a US release date and I don't have to stumble through a bunch of demon language forever.

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only played the first one, everything was going well, until you start getting so many characters so quickly that you stop caring about any of them as you never really get to know them. Then I just kind of stopped playing. I really like how this one is looking though. I could throw it on the heap of games I have to get around to.

commathe on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glad to hear that this game is coming along nicely. This will either be a day one purchase for me or an April birthday present. Gotta support Suikoden, hopefully it will sell enough copies to keep the series going.

Rei on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ah yeah, bad news for devoted suikoden fans like me: http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2706
    those sales numbers are pretty bad, suikoden tierkreis is suffering around somewhere at 15, tales of hearts, which was released for the same system, the same week, sold more then twice as many units.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    and now theres some solid news on the online mode, which actually sounds a lot of fun: http://ds.ign.com/articles/953/953103p1.html

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any word on if Suikoden 2 is getting a PSN release? I'm almost done with S1 (still trying to find all the stars) and want to continue playing.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They should revisit having multiple perspectives in the story like they did in Suikoden 3. It's awesome because you get to use more characters instead of just taking the first 6 you get (replacing the annoying ones with the first badass you meet).

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I heard that there would be alternate versions of the charecters online, would that mean that you get to change how your charecter develops as he/she levels? Because that would be awesome.

Also is the change from six to four charecters a hardware issue or more of a design change?

I only got part way through one because the disc was flawed and would freeze whenever I tried but what I did play seemed really neat.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    id say it was a hardware issue, but its okay really. form what i played it didnt feel like four characters were lacking anything, it surely isnt classic suikoden style, but that doesnt mean its not fun.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From what I've played, it's 3>2>1. Blasphemy, probably.

I've been meaning to play 5. I don't plan on touching 4.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The obvious and true answer to the ranking system for Suikodens are

2>1

There were no other Suikos after these. :P

Niqle on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, and it's 2>>>>1.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    Oh, and it's 2>>>>1.

True true. I just didn't want to be an obvious fanboy.l

Niqle on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Niqle wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The obvious and true answer to the ranking system for Suikodens are

2>1

There were no other Suikos after these. :P
    Except for the far better than either of those 3.

And the inbetween the two 4.

Too bad they stopped after 4, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »
    They should revisit having multiple perspectives in the story like they did in Suikoden 3. It's awesome because you get to use more characters instead of just taking the first 6 you get (replacing the annoying ones with the first badass you meet).

Yes, please. I absolutely loved this aspect of 3. Just one of many reasons I didn't enjoy 4.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.