As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suikoden Tierkreis - out now

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Do you guys have like the attention spans of 4 year olds or something? I don't remember any loading screens of V being that bad.

You know sometimes in life you just hear things you honestly can't reply too from sheer bewilderment.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do you guys have like the attention spans of 4 year olds or something? I don't remember any loading screens of V being that bad.
    You mean other than the fifteen seconds it would take to start EVERY SINGLE BATTLE (7 or 8 for the annoying sunburst, another 6 or 7 for everyone drawing their weapons)?

Although technically not a loading screen, I will give you that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What, like someone replying with a heart when someone says a game has long load screens?

But all right, I'll fully admit I haven't actually played the game since it came out, so I'm willing to believe you in this. When I play it again and it has really long loads then fine, you'll be right. I probably just don't remember it well enough.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What, like someone replying with a heart when someone says a game has long load screens?
    Mostly I was just glad to finally not be the only one that has issues with Suikoden V

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Mostly I was just glad to finally not be the only one that has issues with Suikoden V

Oh, well sure it has issues. It's far from the best in the series. I think the main issue of contention I would have is when someone says IV is better than any of the others, which is just...well, see Dragkonias' most recent post.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There is nothing wrong with 4. It's like a better done 1.

3, 2, 4, 1, 5 is my order.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, I'm an old old old school gamer. Long load screens don't really bother me. Back in the day, I patiently watched early Sierra games slooooowly draw the scenery, then colour it in, every time I changed screens. I vaguely remember getting a impatient sometimes when loading into a battle in Suiko V, but overall it didn't bother me much. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Wow, some people actually liked IV? I thought it was a steaming pile. I really tried to like it, too. Finished the damn thing. Still hated it.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Oh, well then you're just insane.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Oh, well then you're just insane.
    You spelled "right" wrong there. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So difficulty.

I want to get this game, but all the reports i've heard lament that it is terribly easy. Does it get harder as you progress through the campaign?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All the Suikoden games have been pretty easy, haven't they?

The only time I ever had problems was with Luca Blight, and that was just because my characters weren't evenly leveled.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Even Luca wasn't difficult, since only the hero's team matters. (and, really, just stick Oulan and/or Humphrey in there and they'll only be taking 1-3 points from each attack anyway)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All the Suikoden games have been pretty easy, haven't they?

The only time I ever had problems was with Luca Blight, and that was just because my characters weren't evenly leveled.

the problem is its not easy, its ridiculously easy, and its starting to piss me off, because they even mock me about it! theres been three battles now where i felt challenged, i mean in the way a normal RPG would challenge me during a boss battle and all three times the battles were supposed to be unbeatable and as soon as the enemy got to their knees, the battle abruptly ends and a scene starts with my character panting and giving up.... mockery!

however, its a few hours later and a MAJOR event just happened that really is quite exciting, wow, something like that certainly hasnt happened in a suikoden game before. Despite the ridiculous difficulty its really hard to put the game down at this point and after this event i must admit this new story device that replaces the true runes is pretty intriguing. i have no idea where this will go...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm only barely starting now, and I'm already in love. The music during your character naming... <3

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So tell me, Konami. Is her name Shairah or Shailah? Is it Rizwan or Lizlan? Because all the text says the former, while the spoken lines say the latter. How about some consistency?

Artereis on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just got this game this morning. Screw robotics class, I'm playing! :)

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dislike all these fights they put you in that you can't win.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Artereis wrote: »
    I dislike all these fights they put you in that you can't win.

When I was a kid, I'd sometimes hack my RPGs with a Gameshark to give all my characters Infinite HP and the rest. Of course this took the fun out of things, but the worst part was finding yourself in a battle the game won't let you win, but with stats that won't allow you to lose!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goddamnit, protagonist, stop rushing all your lines. It pisses me off.

Every other character takes their time to give a good performance, but not the actual protagonist. They're all better than him. Just take some time to breathe and concentrate. Enunciate.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Every other character takes their time to give a good performance, but not the actual protagonist. They're all better than him. Just take some time to breathe and concentrate. Enunciate.

i think this happened ebcause they needed to save space. he has the most lines, so that may be why only him.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    carmofin wrote: »

i think this happened ebcause they needed to save space. he has the most lines, so that may be why only him.

I guess that makes it understandable. It still pisses me off, though.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Every other character, really? The voice acting I heard from everyone was subpar. Also, I would like to take this time to write an open letter to all game makers.

Dear Gamemakers,

If you're going to have a game with voice acting, don't allow the main character to be named, thus dooming the cast to refer to him as 'him' or 'that guy' for the whole game.

Yours,
    MinionOfCthulhu

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I have to admit that I've found the voice acting to be a little obnoxious. I'm a little sad that there isn't an option to just turn it off.

Also, fights are *really* easy. I mean, I just need to put it on auto and I win every time. I wanted to grind at the beginning to get a few pelts just so I'd have enough money to buy the latest gear for whenever I'd get to a new town and I didn't get hit by a monster until the 20th or so fight. Pretty crazy.

edit: I have to admit that I have to give it credit for making it playable entirely through the stylus. I absolutely love that. Also, the game looks really good.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Melvis or Meruvis? I nope that there aren't too many more that pop up.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    40 hours in, mostly been doing sidequeststuff though and since theres stil no faq out there i have no idea howfar i am into the game.
    so the game just tried to throw a challenge at me, let me explain what that means and why you dont want that to happen. basically it was a long dungeon that could be best described like this
    DSC_0022.jpg
    no, it wasnt actually a labyrinth, it was jsut a mountain you pass. but it was really huge and long. now imagine how fun it is to explore a structure like this when your field of view is like 9 of these panels, theres no map and additionally, every two steps there is a tedious random encounter. i even had to heal in between, but going to the menu every time is a very annoying experience, since the music and menu further distract you from trying to keep the mental image of the place.
    now it was very long and big, that would mean it was an alright challenge no? but nothing of the sort because, do you remember what happens when you level up? thats right, you get a full HP "AND" MP refill, which basically means no matter how long you move through this place, your ressources are never drained at all and the only thing you lose at all if precious lifetime.
    no, sorry, this fighting system they made is horrible, i spent the first half of the game wanting them to challenge me and now im spending the second half hoping exactly that wont happen again. as far as im concerned at this point this is a beautifull graphical novel and thats about it.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Melvis or Meruvis? I nope that there aren't too many more that pop up.

Oh, there are plenty. I just laugh at it. At least the voice acting isn't quite as bad after the characters leave their village. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it. I'm glad I read quickly, I usually just advance the text before I can hear much of the voice; that works better.

I was wary of the "mission" system at first, but I'm happy to report that they didn't lose the Suikoden flavour with the missions. Every one involves some sort of complication or discovery about the world and its people/politics. There are no simple fetch/kill quests. It's awesome.

Edit: Are those of you who were disappointed in the combat system Suikoden vets? The Suikoden combat system has always been sub-par. You don't play Suikoden games for the combat system, or at least I never have.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've played every Suikoden except for the tactics one. I don't agree that they are subpar since they have a lot of good ideas. I mean it's a lot more intricate than the FF/DQ system with all the dual attacks, different formations, having to decide what to equip between medecine or extra armour, and such. I'm not really far into this one yet so I haven't really had a challenging battle yet (honestly, I've been auto-attacking through everything so far).

I am pretty sad that:

- they took away the blacksmithy part of the weapon system. I know it comes down to the same thing but I liked just upgrading my weapons instead of swapping them.
    - you don't see the experience get added to your experience pool so you don't know how far you are from leveling.
    - new party members don't seem to catch up in levels like they did in the old games (though maybe they are still too close apart for it to be obvious)
    - I'm under the impression that a party only consists of four characters. If you can recruit 108 stars of destiny like in the old games than it really sucks that you can only use four!

I hope you guys can tell me that I have it all wrong :D

Sebbie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »
    - I'm under the impression that a party only consists of four characters. If you can recruit 108 stars of destiny like in the old games than it really sucks that you can only use four!

this point actually doenst matter so much sinceyou get to make several parties for fighting constantly in storyevents. theres hardly one where you dont put together 2 or more parties, so at least there is a use for your big party.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, I miss the runes and all the spells that went with them.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've played every Suikoden except for the tactics one. I don't agree that they are subpar since they have a lot of good ideas. I mean it's a lot more intricate than the FF/DQ system with all the dual attacks, different formations, having to decide what to equip between medecine or extra armour, and such. I'm not really far into this one yet so I haven't really had a challenging battle yet (honestly, I've been auto-attacking through everything so far).

I am pretty sad that:

- they took away the blacksmithy part of the weapon system. I know it comes down to the same thing but I liked just upgrading my weapons instead of swapping them.
    - you don't see the experience get added to your experience pool so you don't know how far you are from leveling.
    - new party members don't seem to catch up in levels like they did in the old games (though maybe they are still too close apart for it to be obvious)

I hope you guys can tell me that I have it all wrong :D

I'm far enough into the game that new party members are catching up in levels quickly. I just had a guy go from 15-19 in one battle.

I've also played all the Suiko games but Tactics, and I agree that the battle system isn't uninteresting, it's just rarely challenging. I can only think of a few battles I've fought throughout the series that were actually difficult to win. I do miss the duels and strategy battles that are usually Suikoden mainstays (though I wasn't fond of the real time strategy battles in V ), and I hope they're back in the next main entry to the series.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, I miss the runes and all the spells that went with them.

It's you!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No duels OR epic battles!? :( That's seriously distressing. Why did they call this thing Suikoden if they were going to take out all the elements of the series? I mean that's like making a Final Fantasy game without chocobos, summons, Cid, and airships all in one blow.

Sebbie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No duels OR epic battles!? :( That's seriously distressing. Why did they call this thing Suikoden if they were going to take out all the elements of the series? I mean that's like making a Final Fantasy game without chocobos, summons, Cid, and airships all in one blow.

That happened once. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.
    So Tierkreis:Suikoden fans::FF:MQ:Final Fantasy fans? D:

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't regret buying the game at all, but I really wish they hadn't appended the Suikoden name to it. It just doesn't feel like one, to me.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's what I'm saying. The game is interesting and I'm enjoying it but it doesn't have the features I was expecting. I think a strategic battling system could have worked really well on the DS and same goes for the duels.

Sebbie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, it feels like a Suikoden side story to me. It has the major themes of a typical Suikoden story, it just doesn't have all the game elements of the main series.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That happened once. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.
    So Tierkreis:Suikoden fans::FF:MQ:Final Fantasy fans? D:
    I hope so.

Mystic Quest is seriously underrated.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edit: Are those of you who were disappointed in the combat system Suikoden vets? The Suikoden combat system has always been sub-par. You don't play Suikoden games for the combat system, or at least I never have.

It's worse. The main series kept regular battles extremely quick, and somewhat visually interesting. Six characters and the rune system provided customization options, which helps a ton with the toleration. The menus weren't as clunky.

Except for sailing around in 4, the battle system didn't actively detract from the game.

---

My last hour with the game was spent by going around and trading, and even that's plagued by terribly done menus.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    MikatroMikatro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dear Gamemakers,

If you're going to have a game with voice acting, don't allow the main character to be named, thus dooming the cast to refer to him as 'him' or 'that guy' for the whole game.

Yours,
    MinionOfCthulhu

Yes! I hate this in games with voice overs. It always seems so awkward when they try to talk to the main character.

Mikatro on
    PSN/Xbox LIVE: Mikatro
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe it's just because I play RPGs very rarely... but I love this game. It's been easy so far, but I'm a bit hooked on the (so far predictable) story.

Also, I like Jale a lot. He's a complete smartass, which makes me happy.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter