Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
This is the Wii Shop thread. You might remember it as the Virtual Console thread. There was a time when Virtual Console and WiiWare games were meant to be discussed in separate threads, but that time is now over. This thread is for the discussion of games released on Virtual Console, WiiWare, and DSiWare.

Videos included in spoiler tags when available!

Latest NA releases: (new releases every Monday)

Virtual Console:
Super Star Wars (SNES, 800 Wii points)

WiiWare:
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits (1000 Wii points)
Rock N' Roll Climber (800 Wii points)

DSiWare:
Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters (800 DSi points)

Latest EU releases: (new releases every Monday, to be filled in when I get more info)
Virtual Console:
WiiWare:
DSiWare:


Game Lists:

North American VC Release List
Europe VC Release List
Japanese VC Release List
Australian VC Release List

List of WiiWare games released in North America
List of WiiWare games released in Europe

List of DSiWare games

SteevL on
«13456763

Posts

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys Book I and II was a great game for its time. I deleted Sin & Punishment just now so I could fit Ys on there, and that was a painful decision. Here's to hoping Nintendo gets us a storage solution that lets me have both those games on my Wii at the same time.

    Also, some Ys clips:

    Ys intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEp4Fi9kb_Q

    Yeah, it's kind of hokey now, but it was amazing back then!

    Ys gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bnJYxGfik

    And a video that focuses on the game's music with a little gameplay here and there:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-P4ZRloiY

    Someone else can put up a video of Samurai Shodown 2 because I'm rather unfamiliar with the series.

  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, basically Ys is a prettier version of Hydlide?

    WiiU: da66en Steam: route66
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember playing Hydlide on the NES. I don't remember it being fun. Ys is fun, or at least was fun. It's archaic in a few ways, but I think it's an enjoyable game overall.

  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn it, I only have 700 points in my account. Worthless for anything that I actually want.

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darren66 wrote: »
    So, basically Ys is a prettier version of Hydlide?
    That's an insult and a half to Ys.

  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    darren66 wrote: »
    So, basically Ys is a prettier version of Hydlide?
    That's an insult and a half to Ys.

    I don't remember either Hydlide playing as good as Y's. It's just a nice Action RPG without an action button. Really, the combination of the fantastic music and onscreen action just come together really well.

    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this where I go to complain that we did not get Mario RPG?

    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    Spoiler:
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a feeling we'll probably get Mario RPG in the next few weeks -- perhaps as early as next Monday. I honestly don't feel any sort of attachment to the game myself (blasphemy, I know), but it came out just as I was at the start of my 6-year general disinterest in gaming.

  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

    Xbox Live: Kirin PSN:Kirin70 Steam:Aoi976 NNID:Edison_Carter
    3DS: 3351-4199-8917
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II. Loved it as a kid, jRPG experience was only limited to dragon warrior and final fantasy - this was definitely a step up in every aspect.

    At the time it had fantastic music, and great cinematics, both which have been surpassed years ago. The story has weakened over time too. Game play? You run into the baddies, a little of center to minimize damage to yourself. Oh and you had to be max level to beat the final baddie.

    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

    I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

    It takes up somewhere around 270 blocks.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Re: discussion about SMRPG from the last thread. Yeah, my examples were pretty shittacular (so what else is new?), but it does seem like that there is always somebody who isn't happy about whatever gets released on VC, no matter what.

    On a positive note, once I get paid, Sonic SMS and Ys will finally be mine. I've been looking forward to these, even if no one else has.

  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Is this where I go to complain that we did not get Mario RPG?

    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

    I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

    It takes up somewhere around 270 blocks.

    Since all the CD quality music is still intact, I'd be surprised if the voice acting isn't in there. I didn't wait for the introduction narrator to start his spiel about "Ys....a utopia"but from what I remember, that was actually contained within the original game's CD track. I think you could actually put the game CD into a standard CD player and listen to all the voice acting.

  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

    I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

    It takes up somewhere around 270 blocks.

    Since all the CD quality music is still intact, I'd be surprised if the voice acting isn't in there. I didn't wait for the introduction narrator to start his spiel about "Ys....a utopia"but from what I remember, that was actually contained within the original game's CD track. I think you could actually put the game CD into a standard CD player and listen to all the voice acting.

    The voice acting in the intro is still there, so I'd imagine it's there for the rest of the game.

    I played it for about 10 minutes last night, died after being a little overzealous with killing creatures in the beginning, and went back to other VC games that I'm in the middle of playing. Looks like fun.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So wait.. you just run into people to kill them? How do the enemies of Ys pose any kind of threat when all you have to do is run into em?

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's slightly more complicated than that. If they run into you, you'll get hurt. It's usually better to run into them from the side and not ram them into a wall too.

  • Raybies666Raybies666 I can't believe there were 665 raybies here before meRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

    I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

    It takes up somewhere around 270 blocks.

    Since all the CD quality music is still intact, I'd be surprised if the voice acting isn't in there. I didn't wait for the introduction narrator to start his spiel about "Ys....a utopia"but from what I remember, that was actually contained within the original game's CD track. I think you could actually put the game CD into a standard CD player and listen to all the voice acting.

    This is awesome.

    So is SMRPG. Thanks once again PA - your fanaticism has served me well. Fools. Every day the awesome in my collection grows stronger.

    And soon, it will consume you all.

    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

    I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

    There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

    I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)

    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's slightly more complicated than that. If they run into you, you'll get hurt. It's usually better to run into them from the side and not ram them into a wall too.

    Right, if you run headlong into the enemies, they will do more damage. Coming at them from slightly above or below will reduce your damage, also. They don't just stand around and let you walk into them. They'll move quite a bit.

    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if that alien pinball remake is going to be any good. I like me some good pinball.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this the thread I go to to complain about unnecessary apostrophes?

    Cos blargh people

    Y's? Really? Are you suggesting that the title means Y its/his/hers?

    i8oqDXr.png
    That's my blog, click the sig to go there!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this the thread I go to to complain about unnecessary apostrophes?

    Cos blargh people

    Y's? Really? Are you suggesting that the title means Y its/his/hers?

    Are you one of those people who joins discussion threads on news posts to correct grammer/spelling, as well? Really?

    The game is fun as hell... it's not like gaming isn't full of completely made up words anyway.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Unbelievable! Could you imagine the step? He's genius!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Is this the thread I go to to complain about unnecessary apostrophes?

    Cos blargh people

    Y's? Really? Are you suggesting that the title means Y its/his/hers?

    Are you one of those people who joins discussion threads on news posts to correct grammer/spelling, as well? Really?

    The game is fun as hell... it's not like gaming isn't full of completely made up words anyway.

    Uh, my point was that's not the title and that people apparently adore sticking an apostrophe in any word that ends with an S.

    Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

    i8oqDXr.png
    That's my blog, click the sig to go there!
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Is this where I go to complain that we did not get Mario RPG?

    I haven't been keeping up with these threads, but why the flying fuck did they decide to release it in Europe but not America?

    0WBv0.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Is this where I go to complain that we did not get Mario RPG?

    I haven't been keeping up with these threads, but why the flying fuck did they decide to release it in Europe but not America?

    Because something like that was long, long overdue.

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something else that's long overdue?

    Majora's Mask.

    Especially considering the fact that Nintendo has nothing lined up for the hardcore crowd.

    0WBv0.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Something else that's long overdue?

    Majora's Mask.

    Especially considering the fact that Nintendo has nothing lined up for the hardcore crowd.

    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=225555

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This doesn't solve my Majora problem

    0WBv0.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    shutz wrote: »
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

    There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

    I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)


    Yeah, I've been clamoring for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood since the Virtual Console was announced. It might actually come out over here; it's been put out in Japan, I believe.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    shutz wrote: »
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

    There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

    I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)


    Yeah, I've been clamoring for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood since the Virtual Console was announced. It might actually come out over here; it's been put out in Japan, I believe.

    Lords of Thunder and Ys are available, so I don't even really need a Turbo Duo anymore. I still -want- one, mind you, but I don't need it. ;-)

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So yea, apparently I don't remember this game that well.

    FUCK THE GOD DAMN BAT BOSS IN HIS GOD DAMN FACE.

    That is all. :|

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maaan, I've had Super Metroid on my Wii since it came out, and I've played maybe an hour of it. I am a bad person. :(

    Steam: Zephyrall || XBL: Zephyrall || PS3: Zephyrall_KN || Battle.Net: Zephyrall#398
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Maaan, I've had Super Metroid on my Wii since it came out, and I've played maybe an hour of it. I am a bad person. :(

    Yes you are. Super Metroid is too good not to play.

    I really wish Nintendo would realize how retarded region locking games is. Especially for digital downloads. Apparently they have a rule that WiiWare games has to be not only in English, but also in German and French. Honestly, fuck Germany and France. Those fuckers should just learn to use English like the rest of the world.

    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My major beef with the Shop channel is that it doesn't except a Maestro Card. That kinda annoys me.

    Also, in other news, I bought Super Mario RPG last week and I've played it twice.

    What the hell is wrong with me?

  • ArceusArceus Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »
    Maaan, I've had Super Metroid on my Wii since it came out, and I've played maybe an hour of it. I am a bad person. :(

    Yes you are. Super Metroid is too good not to play.

    I really wish Nintendo would realize how retarded region locking games is. Especially for digital downloads. Apparently they have a rule that WiiWare games has to be not only in English, but also in German and French. Honestly, fuck Germany and France. Those fuckers should just learn to use English like the rest of the world.
    Or we could all just learn Japanese so that nothing would ever have to be localized ever again.

    With Pokemon it's especially excuciating since it usually takes up to a fucking year and a half before it finally gets out of Nippon. Utterly ridiculous.

  • Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rotam wrote: »
    My major beef with the Shop channel is that it doesn't except a Maestro Card. That kinda annoys me.
    This. It's a real pain in the arse that I can only use my (Largely maxed out) credit card as apposed to my Maestro Bank card which I do 99.9% of my other online purchaces with.
    Peewi wrote: »
    I really wish Nintendo would realize how retarded region locking games is. Especially for digital downloads. Apparently they have a rule that WiiWare games has to be not only in English, but also in German and French. Honestly, fuck Germany and France. Those fuckers should just learn to use English like the rest of the world.
    I agree to a point. And it's going to get to a point where someone's going to create a PAL-ENG region and be done with it. I meen there's absolutly no reason why I can't have a UK version of FF4 DS now as apposed to buying a US import (Which, it has to be noted, will probably be cheaper @ £32 than the domestic price), none what so ever.
    Godfather wrote: »
    Something else that's long overdue?

    Majora's Mask.
    I would like to think that Nintendo R&D are working on geting the emulation on the 4mb expantion pak working properly before they bring out MM or any other of the 4mb pak's games. The Gamecube Disk version was a joke.

  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gamecube version is fine. I never had any of those bugs, and the game looks amazing in 480p.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Somehow, my Virtual Console thread got both the [BRACKETS] treatment and managed to keep "Virtual Console" in its own set of brackets. Odd.

    edit: got rid of [BRACKETS] in the title

  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User
    edited August 2008
    shutz wrote: »
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

    There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

    I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)

    Castlevania i'd love to have the orginal. It never made it stateside.

    Vasteel is one i really wanted, a pseudo sequel to military madness, but it had an action component similar to Archon.

    Dungeon Explorer II: I think the orginal was great and had fantastic music, i'd love the super cd version.

    Lords of Thunder: I just need to buy it.

    But other then those, none of the CD games are: OMG GOT TO HAVE.


    It really sucks that nintendo kinda screwed NEC with third parties and NEC picked some of the crappest games to import.....


    On the original audio.

    The TG CDs I think were Red Book audio compliant so the audio tracks would play in a standard CD player. The Working Design games had a one of there game characters give a warning about doing this as the first track - in case the player tried to playing the data.

«13456763
Sign In or Register to comment.