As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Renter's Insurance?

tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking to get some renter's insurance. Anybody have it, who do you have it with, any suggestions other than answers to those?

steam_sig.png
tsmvengy on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have it. Get it. Mine is through a local insurance that offered better rates and better coverage. Document everything you have and their costs.

You have no idea how much it's worth it until someone breaks in and steals something, or a fire destroys your shit from another apartment. Not to mention the benefits you get with car insurance because of a multi-policy cost reducer type thing most insurance companies get. I think I only pay $80ish a year.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have mine through State Farm who also handles my car insurance. Renter's insurance costs me 6.70 a month, and I get a 6 dollar credit per month for carrying both through my insurance company. For a grand 70 cents per month, I'm covered up to 25 thousand dollars of loss. This included when we lost our power for 3 days after a storm and the insurance paid for us to stay in a hotel and replace all the food that spoiled in our fridge/freezer.

Renter's insurance is awesome and cheap. Get some.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got it through via Geico/Travelers along with my car insurance...I forget the exact coverage limit, but it's more than enough to replace all our stuff if it came to that, and it's about $18 per month atm.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Like everyone else said, it's cheap and VERY worth it if you ever need it. I have mine through AAA, and it's only a few bucks a month. The discount on auto insurance makes up for it easily.

Get it.

Denada on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My apartment REQUIRES you have renter's insurance. Though it's not covering your losses, it's in case I'm the one that causes a fire, the insurance will pay the $millions to help rebuild cuz I know I don't have that.

In Canada, I go through my bank and it's like 5-10 a month. Totally worth it for peace of mind for all your stuff.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    By bundling my auto and renter's insurance through State Farm, the resulting discount means I'm only effectively paying $45 per year for the insurance and sweet sweet peace of mind.

Most insurance companies bundle. Go for it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I also use State Farm, I think I pay $9 a month. Get it!

Rubick on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you have car insurance already, they may offer you a deal on renter's insurance. Most companies do.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suggestions: most renter's insurance policies (well, mine at least) don't cover items over a certain threshold by default, you have to add them on as specific coverage through an endorsement. Example: I pay a few bucks extra (might not even be that much, not sure off the top of my head) to cover my wife's engagement ring.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Though I'm not in the US nor am I a broker, I do have a some experience with the insurance industry.

First off, get insurance - hopefully it will be money well wasted, but it's just too big of a gamble to not get it.

Secondly, you'll need more coverage than you think. Imagine there was a fire in your pad and you lost everything. How many pairs of jeans did you have? CDs? Cutlery? Furniture? Electronics? Books? Now imagine having to buy each item at full price because you have no clothes besides what you're wearing and don't have time to find a sale on each and every item. Think of that when choosing a coverage amount.

Thirdly, some direct writers (you call the company for insurance, not a broker) including some mentioned in this thread have a very low loss ratio, which is to say they spend far less paying claims than the majority of insurance companies. This either means they charge way too much or pull every trick in the world to avoid paying larger claims. It's mainly that the premiums are generally low is why I would suggest avoiding *cough* AIGAllStateFarmProgressive *cough* some direct writers. Go see an insurance broker.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you, a spouse, or a parent are in the military, you can get insurance through USAA. I can't recommend them enough--their customer service is some of the most highly rated in business overall.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My roommate tells me that renter's insurance in Dorchester (poorer area near Boston), MA is too expensive to justify the cost. Is that true?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Thirdly, some direct writers (you call the company for insurance, not a broker) including some mentioned in this thread have a very low loss ratio, which is to say they spend far less paying claims than the majority of insurance companies.

What is the average LR on Renter's? I figured it would be low because so few people file claims on it, not due to any bad faith on the carrier's side.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The bundle I have, (car and renter's insurance) actually made the renter's insurance cost negative five dollars. As in, I save five bucks a year having the renter's insurance, than if I'd just had car insurance.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Thirdly, some direct writers (you call the company for insurance, not a broker) including some mentioned in this thread have a very low loss ratio, which is to say they spend far less paying claims than the majority of insurance companies.

What is the average LR on Renter's? I figured it would be low because so few people file claims on it, not due to any bad faith on the carrier's side.

Not sure off hand. The numbers I see almost always have home, condo, and tenant lumped into "habitational" along with season, secondary, and rental. The last three are generally pretty small compared to the first three.

Many direct writers have similarly low loss and loss expense ratios in auto as well.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    If you, a spouse, or a parent are in the military, you can get insurance through USAA. I can't recommend them enough--their customer service is some of the most highly rated in business overall.

Yup my Renters insurance is effectively free because of the discount I get on my car insurance by bundling.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got mine through my bank (Bank of America). Like everyone's said, it's super cheap and damn worth it just in case something horrible happens to your stuff. YMMV, but I think it also covers liability in case a guest of yours comes to some injury in your place or something.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The LurkerThe Lurker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I can't quote this harder. My homeowners insurance and car insurance are through USAA and I cannot recommend them enough.

The Lurker on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I didn't know renter's insurance was so cheap. Question, which I'm not sure if anyone is going to be able to answer, but if I move in to an extended stay hotel sort of place, could I still get it?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Man, I didn't know renter's insurance was so cheap. Question, which I'm not sure if anyone is going to be able to answer, but if I move in to an extended stay hotel sort of place, could I still get it?

I think so, but it won't cover any of the items that are owned by the hotel. It will cover all of your shit, though.

Renter's insurance is awesome. I pay 70 dollars a year and get 30,000 dollars of coverage and then I put a Personal Article Policy on my 1,800 dollar MSI laptop for another 30 a year (which covers my losing it, it being destroyed, stolen, or if it stops working completely).

You can't go wrong.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.