As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    my first stab at a new nurgle list. The hellcannon might be a bit much, but I have the model so its in there. I have a chariot too I might swap out the hellcannon for.

1 Chaos Lord @ 325 Pts
    Mark of Nurgle; General; Halberd; Chaos Armour; Barding
    Filth Mace [35]

1 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

1 Chaos Sorcerer @ 145 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; Magic Level 2; Chaos Armour
    Dispel Scroll [25]

4 Chosen Chaos Knights of Nurgle @ 325 Pts
    Mark of Nurgle; Barding; Chosen Unit; Shield; Standard; Musician

1 Champion @ [20] Pts

5 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

4 Chaos Knights of Nurgle @ 265 Pts
    Mark of Nurgle; Barding; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

1 Champion @ [20] Pts

5 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

11 Chosen Chaos Warriors of Nurgle @ 332 Pts
    Mark of Nurgle; Chosen Unit; Shield; Standard; Musician

1 Champion @ [12] Pts

11 Chaos Warriors @ 234 Pts
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; 2ndWeapon; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician

1 Champion @ [12] Pts

14 Marauder Horsemen @ 255 Pts
    Flail; Standard; Musician

1 Chieftain @ [12] Pts

15 Warhorse @ [0] Pts

1 Hellcannon @ 270 Pts

3 Hellcannon Crew @ [0] Pts
    Heavy Armour

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 3

Models in Army: 53

Total Army Cost: 2151

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Hello I'm blankspace an I have a confession....I used to be a devout Lizardman fanatic, and thus have been embroiled in a eternity-spanning duel with the flithy Horned rat worshiper Morskittar. But after reading Skavenslayer I....I god help me have come to like the flithy rat-things. Should I call a priest? an exsorcist? an extermenator?

Oh and Morskittar just so you know, this changes nothing.
    Pistols at Dawn.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hello I'm blankspace an I have a confession....I used to be a devout Lizardman fanatic, and thus have been embroiled in a eternity-spanning duel with the flithy Horned rat worshiper Morskittar. But after reading Skavenslayer I....I god help me have come to like the flithy rat-things. Should I call a priest? an exsorcist? an extermenator?

Pistols at Dawn.

[spoiler:d9b0d6cdb2]NONE CAN RESIST THE WILL OF THE HORNED RAT![/spoiler:d9b0d6cdb2]

Also, I wrote up a big review of both Nurgle army lists... then left it unposted on my work computer. Bastards kept calling me with relevant questions. In any case, the core of both armies looks solid (with a few tweaks like dispel scrolls).

A question, though, Grimdog... 2150 points? Maybe I'm outta the loop; is that a tournament value?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    Anyone here ever play the Warhammer RPG?

It was like MERPS-lite.

Lots of critical hits, only one table.
    I ran a game- first combat we get in, the bounty hunter uses a fate-point to keep his leg from being severed from his body.

I only later thought that it'd be neat for someone to have a peg-leg.

That was the game where we discovered that you could, in fact, use a dead halfling as a missile weapon.

Yeah, our halfling ran out of Fate Points. The first one was lost when he got thrown from his horse.
    I had a DM that managed to buy the whole set of "Enemy Within" books. That was an awesome campaign.

It's one of those situations where we saved an entire city, and then we were chased out of town as murderers and arsonists (We only did one of those, honest!).

The warhammer world is awesome.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

Pistols at Dawn.

[spoiler:90c7b61f8d]NONE CAN RESIST THE WILL OF THE HORNED RAT![/spoiler:90c7b61f8d]

Also, I wrote up a big review of both Nurgle army lists... then left it unposted on my work computer. Bastards kept calling me with relevant questions. In any case, the core of both armies looks solid (with a few tweaks like dispel scrolls).

A question, though, Grimdog... 2150 points? Maybe I'm outta the loop; is that a tournament value?

2150 is the rogue trader tourney value for WHFB around here, 1850 is 40k.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    Anyone here ever play the Warhammer RPG?

It was like MERPS-lite.

Lots of critical hits, only one table.
    I ran a game- first combat we get in, the bounty hunter uses a fate-point to keep his leg from being severed from his body.

I only later thought that it'd be neat for someone to have a peg-leg.

That was the game where we discovered that you could, in fact, use a dead halfling as a missile weapon.

Yeah, our halfling ran out of Fate Points. The first one was lost when he got thrown from his horse.
    I had a DM that managed to buy the whole set of "Enemy Within" books. That was an awesome campaign.

It's one of those situations where we saved an entire city, and then we were chased out of town as murderers and arsonists (We only did one of those, honest!).

The warhammer world is awesome.

Not heretics? I'd call that a glorious victory...

Allon on
    edited September 2006
    Allon wrote:

Not heretics? I'd call that a glorious victory...

Relatively, the Old World is pretty easy on murderers and arsonists.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm actually less familiar with the Warhammer world's society and such than I am with 40k's, so that kind of confuses me. How can you be a heretic when the Empire is polytheistic? Only by being a chaos worshipper?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited September 2006
    I'm actually less familiar with the Warhammer world's society and such than I am with 40k's, so that kind of confuses me. How can you be a heretic when the Empire is polytheistic? Only by being a chaos worshipper?

I think the closest analog in history would be Rome in the late 4th century. So the Sigmarites, who have always existed as part of (prominent, but still part of) the pantheon, but have become increasingly belligerent, insular, and imperious over the years. By the time the Great War rolls around and Magnus reunites the country (again) the Cult really starts picking up steam, and begins to clash with the 2nd most prominent church: Ulric. So you get the "modern" Empire where Sigmarites tend to be at odds with Ulricans, and are dismissive toward other faiths.

Heresy would vary from place to place. Mock Sigmar in front of a priest, you might be branded heretic. Worship or mention Khaine, a Chaos God, or some other proscribed cult (and they're out there... aspects of gods, minor gods) and you're an outright hunted heretic.

Then, there's also the developing schism between Luthor Huss (Martin who?) and Esmer. I'm just waiting for Huss to nail his "900 Theses" to Esmer's head.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, am I the only one who gets the urge to make an entire regiment using this rider? His head is seperate, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Ok, here's the deal.

I have my entire Dark Elf army ordered, and waiting to be assembled and painted. I go back to America in a little over 50 days, and I want to have it painted by then. But to do it, I am going to need you guys to guilt me into making steady progress. This is what I need to assemble and paint.

Lord on Cold One with shield and Gaultlet of Power.
    Sorceress on foot.
    Noble with BSB, one on foot, one in a chariot (need two models so I can place him on the table if the chariot dies)
    Noble with lance and shield, same deal as the other.
    Eighteen Dark Riders with spears and crossbows.
    Ninteen Cold One Knights, one is a champion, one a standard bearer.
    Two Cold One Chariots.
    Two Reaper Bolt Throwers.

I have all the models, though none are assmbled. I have all the neccisary supplies.

Should I make a thread for this so you people can constantly harass me on my progress?

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Don't worry, TDL, I can gladly harass you regardless of which thread you're in.

I'm just that kinda' pal!

Seriously, stop posting, get to painting!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, it's 2:30 in the morning, so I'm going to go to sleep.

I'll wake up at 8 I think, and get an early start. If there is any support for this idea in the morning, I will whip up a thread.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
    edited September 2006
    Go for it, TDL.

There's the thread on the Six Mouths site, but I'm not sure everyone here would check it on a regular basis.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Woah. I've been researching the backstory of Warhammer(Particullarly the Skaven, Dwarves, and the Empire) and wow, just wow. I can't belive how awesome it is. My personal favorites right now are Clan Skyre/Moulder(Now I know where your name comes from Morskittar, soon I shall have all your secrets!), The War of the Beard, and Valten. Any idea where I could snag some more fluff on any of these?

Also I am officially abandoning my Lizardman army. Clan Skyre or Dwarves, guys? Rat-things or Stunties?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rat-things. Stunties are assholes. So are Skaven, but they don't hide it behind euphemisms like "grudges" and "honor".

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Rat-things. Stunties are assholes. So are Skaven, but they don't hide it behind euphemisms like "grudges" and "honor".

Um... yeah. Pretty much. Gotta appreciate that skaven honesty.

Blankspace. You've made the right choice. Obviously, skaven are the way to go with a new army, although I can appreciate the stunty love of beer. But really, any army where you can happily blast away at your own troops pretty much wins.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

I think the closest analog in history would be Rome in the late 4th century. So the Sigmarites, who have always existed as part of (prominent, but still part of) the pantheon, but have become increasingly belligerent, insular, and imperious over the years. By the time the Great War rolls around and Magnus reunites the country (again) the Cult really starts picking up steam, and begins to clash with the 2nd most prominent church: Ulric. So you get the "modern" Empire where Sigmarites tend to be at odds with Ulricans, and are dismissive toward other faiths.

Heresy would vary from place to place. Mock Sigmar in front of a priest, you might be branded heretic. Worship or mention Khaine, a Chaos God, or some other proscribed cult (and they're out there... aspects of gods, minor gods) and you're an outright hunted heretic.

Then, there's also the developing schism between Luthor Huss (Martin who?) and Esmer. I'm just waiting for Huss to nail his "900 Theses" to Esmer's head.
    Reading this makes me want to get a copy of WHFRPG.

Silpheed on
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:

Reading this makes me want to get a copy of WHFRPG.

As well you should! Really, the reason I've always dug Warhammer so much is the inclusive background, especially pseudo-historical stuff. It basically has everything cool about decent fantasy and real world history included.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar: Where's the best place to get all the info on WHFRPG? Or even better, make a new topic about it since you seem quite into the setting :P

Silpheed on
    edited September 2006
    I don't know if a thread would have enough activity, but I'd be happy to do a first post kinda thing.

In the meantime, have you checked out the WFRP site? Not a lot of setting stuff, but if you're looking for an overview of the world and available products it's useful.

It's tough to give an overview of the whole setting, but WFRP basically takes the "bottom-up" view of the Warhammer world. All the titanic weirdness, shining armies, and epic magic of WFB is there... but your characters are too busy running from the authorities (who are actually Chaos cultists) and grubbing in the sewers to get any of it. Your average Unit Champion or Hero is about the cap, in terms of in-game character power level.

It's not about epic heroes, it's about regular people who may be able to do some epically heroic stuff. But probably won't, and will die unsung and forgotten in a forest somewhere.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There's a few notable exceptions, like Knightly Grandmaster, Wizard Lord and Daemonslayer.

And then there's the little asterisk in the Wizard Lord for high elves where it basically says "alright, you've finished the magical equivalent to grade-school, get back to ulthuan for the neat stuff."

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    There's a few notable exceptions, like Knightly Grandmaster, Wizard Lord and Daemonslayer.

And then there's the little asterisk in the Wizard Lord for high elves where it basically says "alright, you've finished the magical equivalent to grade-school, get back to ulthuan for the neat stuff."

Ahh, right. Although, BI stated that the "Wizard Lord" there is still just a College support-type Wizard. A teacher, researcher, or the like, rather than full on Battle Wizard.

I think, that if represented in WFB the Wizard Lord there would be, stat-wise, like a Lord character, but without full access to the battle magic lores. Some of the spells do cross over though, but they don't seem as destructive in WFRP. They could probably be seen as lesser versions.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have a version of WHFB upstairs somewhere (not sure which one exactly) and the "Marienberg: Sold down the River" book to go with it. In light of this I would be -extremely- up for a WHFB game on openRPG or similar software if we could get enough PAers together.

The Marienberg book is a cool read, I'm going to look into similar books for other cities/areas when I have some money behind me.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited September 2006
    I'd be down, although I've never run or played in an online game.

Does your copy of WFRP have a greyish backdrop with a slayer chopping an orc's head off in the front?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    I'd be down, although I've never run or played in an online game.

Does your copy of WFRP have a greyish backdrop with a slayer chopping an orc's head off in the front?

That sounds about right. It's from hoghead publishing and I got it at a Games Day around... 1998 or 1999 I think. It was the year of Mordheim being released.

Now, we can piece together the evidence or I can actually go and look for the book, which I'll go and do now.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited September 2006
    Sounds like you've got the 1st edition. 2nd changes a lot considerably (for the better, too), so it may be worthwhile for you to look into. That old book has some great background stuff, though. The world guide is still somewhat accurate and full of good ideas.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    I managed to borrow the 2nd edition of WHFRPG from my universitys library and I'm busy flipping through it. I have to say that this sure seems a lot more fun than DnD but unfortunatly I'll never get a group or a decent DM together.

At least the book is pretty fun to read so I'm not completely screwed at least. Although I'd be on happy camper if someone would turn this into a singleplayer CRPG (Yes, I know about the upcoming MMORPG :P ).

Silpheed on
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    I managed to borrow the 2nd edition of WHFRPG from my universitys library and I'm busy flipping through it. I have to say that this sure seems a lot more fun than DnD but unfortunatly I'll never get a group or a decent DM together.

At least the book is pretty fun to read so I'm not completely screwed at least. Although I'd be on happy camper if someone would turn this into a singleplayer CRPG (Yes, I know about the upcoming MMORPG :P ).

It's tough to find a group for anyting but d20 where I live. I'm so sick of D&D/d20 though... ugh. I'd even run it if I could get a regular crew.

Also of note:

Kurt Hellborg. Reiksmarshall (I think).

KurtHelborg.jpg

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Any RPG book which has a "stinking drunk" table where it is possible to pass out face-down in a pool of your own vomit, and which states such in as many words, is obviously a glorious thing.

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2006
    Any RPG book which has a "stinking drunk" table where it is possible to pass out face-down in a pool of your own vomit, and which states such in as many words, is obviously a glorious thing.
    You should see the expanded miscast tables in the Realms of Sorcery.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Nurgle sup

PiptheFair on
    edited September 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Nurgle sup
    More like "Everyone within 10km spontaneously soils themselves and curls up into a ball. Oh, and you're eaten by a daemon."

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    Sounds like you've got the 1st edition. 2nd changes a lot considerably (for the better, too), so it may be worthwhile for you to look into. That old book has some great background stuff, though. The world guide is still somewhat accurate and full of good ideas.

I'll look into it. The one issue I had with WHFB is that the percentile system could be somewhat unweildy at times, I'm assuming the second edition still uses it though? I think this is just down to personal preference anyway.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited September 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:

I'll look into it. The one issue I had with WHFB is that the percentile system could be somewhat unweildy at times, I'm assuming the second edition still uses it though? I think this is just down to personal preference anyway.

It does, although it's streamlined quite a bit. The 2nd edition rules feel like a decent hybrid between more characterful older rules and modern RPG streamlining.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I advice you to send me that copy Marienburg: StdR in the mail.
    You might pick up some chaos taint if you hold on to it for too long.

Allon on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

It's tough to find a group for anyting but d20 where I live. I'm so sick of D&D/d20 though... ugh. I'd even run it if I could get a regular crew.

Also of note:

Kurt Hellborg. Reiksmarshall (I think).

KurtHelborg.jpg

That's a pretty damn sick paintjob.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited September 2006
    Allon wrote:
    I advice you to send me that copy Marienburg: StdR in the mail.
    You might pick up some chaos taint if you hold on to it for too long.

Is it particularly hard to find now? I'd not really given it much thought. It's a shame if so, as I'd love to get some similar books for the fluff.

Edit: That Kurt Helborg model looks awesome. Would love to see it from different angles, the paint job looks incredible.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited September 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Edit: That Kurt Helborg model looks awesome. Would love to see it from different angles, the paint job looks incredible.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13593&d=1159178868

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:

attachment.php?attachmentid=13593&d=1159178868

PLEASE tell me the writing on the cloth is a sticker. Otherwise I may never try and paint something again.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
This discussion has been closed.