Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
What is it?

Warmachine is a game of steam, blood, and magic.

Steam, you say?

The most noticeable aspect of Warmachine is that while it is most definitely a fantasy game, it incorporates things called Warjacks. Warjacks are steam-powered mechs. They make things die. It's pretty cool. You'll see a few later.

Blood? This intrigues!

Warmachine is set within the world of Caen, on the continent of Immoren. More specifically, it takes place within the Iron Kingdoms, which are four in number. They all hit eachother with swords and shoot eachother and blow eachother up. Hence, blood.

MAGIC!? FIREBALLS! BOOM!

Magic pops up in a variety of ways in Warmachine, but the most noticeable way is the inclusion of Warcasters. These are the leaders of your army, capable of casting mighty spells and pulling off a special game-changing Feat every match. It is these Warcasters which control the mighty and hella-awesome Warjacks I mentioned earlier.

So, yeah. They're pretty important.

CRYX

So, there's this island, right? It's a pretty sweet little island, all happy and stuff. Then Toruk, Unholy Father of All Dragons, lands there. It's less happy now. A haven for abominations, Cryx is ruled by Toruk and his 13 Lich Lords. Two of these, Lich Lord Terminus and Lich Lord Asphyxious (known as the Iron Lich prior to his promotion), are well known in the Iron Kingdom due to their propensity for leading armies to pillage and destroy. They're good at what they do.

cbgroupid7.jpg

CYGNAR

Cygnar are the technological innovators of the Iron Kingdom. Their prowess at developing new weaponry in addition to their highly trained troops have ensured their place as a major power in the world. If words like "gunmage" and "shocklance" make you sexually excited, you might be a Cygnar player in your heart of hearts.

cygnarhv3.jpg

KHADOR

The Russia-er, Khador is a massive and cold land inhabited by a fiercely independent people. They're rather expansionistic which leads them to a great deal of conflict with their neighbors. Mainly, Cygnar. The armies of Khador are bolstered by ponderous warjacks that could punch your head through your ass if they weren't careful while shaking your hand.

khadorad6.jpg

MENOTH

The Protectorate of Menoth was formed due to a religious conflict in the aforementioned kingdom of Cygnar. The devotees of Morrow were the majority, and got to keep their nice cushy kingdom. The disciples of Menoth were given a piece of crappy land to placate them and made into an independent nation. They found oil, built up some military forces which don't technically exist as such, and now they're fond of making their heathen enemies explode and die. Nice people, all around.

menothus8.jpg

MERCENARIES

This is a world where conflict rules and wars are always ready to flare up. What kind of moron could pass up a chance to make a buck? Mercenaries come in all shapes and sizes. Some are exiles from their own land, called traitors by those they once called brother.

magnusqv3.jpg

Others are short bearded fellows who like money.

gortensq4.jpg

It takes all kinds, right?

Warmachine information can be found in three books:

Warmachine: Prime
Warmachine: Escalation
Warmachine: Apotheosis

Another book, Superiority, is forthcoming. The books are completely unnecessary to play. All rules can be had with a battlegroup starter set and unit specific rules are included with the purchase of that unit.

Although,
Echo wrote:
One comment on the Warmachine rules: the full rules are in Prime; the ones that come with the battlegroups are very simplified.

This applies to Hordes rules as well.

Play like you've got a pair.

TheOtherHorseman on

• EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    I'm thinking about getting another WM battlegroup - either Cygnar or Cryx. And I want a Skorne warpack too, since the Skorne are awesomesauce in the RPG.

• GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User
    edited September 2006
    skorne are not awesomesauce though in the wargame (until the rest of their units come out).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting another WM battlegroup - either Cygnar or Cryx. And I want a Skorne warpack too, since the Skorne are awesomesauce in the RPG.
    RPG? Please, elaborate..

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Silpheed wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    RPG? Please, elaborate..
    There is an Iron Kingdoms tabletop RPG. It uses the D20 system I think.

• IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Praise be to Empress Ayn Vanar! Go Khador! Aaaaah motherland!

Seriously, Khador owns everything:

They stick guys in steam-powered armor suits because having Light Warjacks is for girls!

They have sexy female sniper captains with an eyepatch!

Their mages are so manly that they carry axes!

Vladimir, the Dark Champion is pure awesome. I want to sex him repeatedly. <3

edited September 2006
    All fear the Butcher of Khardov

book_butcher.jpg

Or the man in the machine, Karchev the Terrible

karchev.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    The Iron Kingdoms in Pen&Paper Roleplaying

The Iron Kingdoms setting is the same one as Warmachine and Hordes. There are five major books available for it:

Character Guide:
    0970697066.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1121911154_.jpg

World Guide:
    097069704X.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1121911147_.jpg

Those two are more or less staple as they define the setting in everey aspect and detail imagineable, with an enormous amount of information, stats and plot hooks.

There's also the Monsternomicon which is a collection of all possible creatures in the IK:
    1933362006.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122422358_.jpg

Liber Mechanika:
    1933362014.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1123538386_.jpg

And the Witchfire Trilogy, which is an awesome campaign that can be played with a new group:
    1933362049.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1135882851_.jpg

• TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    the circle warpack imo is the hardest one to use out the box. It is not a beginner army. Battlebox games are quite fun and are typically around 350 points. For the $ they are also great starts toward your 750 pt force. If you are new to the game and are looking for some stuff on the cheap, I suggest looking at www.bartertown.org there are always people selling starter stuff on there.
    Well I am sorta on the fence between legion and circle. I read alot that legion is the most played army and that turns me off but I do like the style of the minis(but how can you beat giant werewolfs?) Hopefully 4 of us will be playing so that all the races will be used and we can all figure out who likes what best.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2006
    I have the individual Witchfire Trilogy books, but I might pick up the Collected Edition as well.

• AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TheUnsane1 wrote:
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    the circle warpack imo is the hardest one to use out the box. It is not a beginner army. Battlebox games are quite fun and are typically around 350 points. For the $ they are also great starts toward your 750 pt force. If you are new to the game and are looking for some stuff on the cheap, I suggest looking at www.bartertown.org there are always people selling starter stuff on there.
    Well I am sorta on the fence between legion and circle. I read alot that legion is the most played army and that turns me off but I do like the style of the minis(but how can you beat giant werewolfs?) Hopefully 4 of us will be playing so that all the races will be used and we can all figure out who likes what best.

I like the legion as well and am verrrrrry close to plunking down on some Horde stuff.

But for now I'll stick with confrontation and warhammer.

edited September 2006
    TheUnsane1 wrote:
    GrimDog420 wrote:

Legion is the most played army atm because they have the best models out for their armies atm. Skorne is a synergy army and alot of the pieces to make them work brutally are not out yet. Circle is a delicate army, fuck up once and its GG, not fun to learn with. I am personally selling off my Skorne and Legion army to focus on my Khador force.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    RPG? Please, elaborate..
    There is an Iron Kingdoms tabletop RPG. It uses the D20 system I think.

The tabletop is how I got introduced into Iron Kingdoms; I didn't find out there was a mini game about it until some time later. I need to buy the rest of the books though. All I have is the Monsternomicon, but it's really goddamn good. Between the art and the writing, it's probably one of my favorite RPG monster books ever. It reminds me a bit of the monster manuals of old, giving a fairly in-depth look into the monster and including a knowledge table of commonly and not-so-commonly known things about said creature.

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really need to get back on track with my Menoth battlegroup. I'm very nearly done, having just a bit of shading and some metallic touches to do. Oh, and a base. I forgot to do up a proper base for one of them.

But soon, they will be done...

...and I can begin similar cycles of procrastination for Cryx and Khador.

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2006
    Holy shit those models look amazing. I need to start playing this game, I think I'd go with Hordes though, I'm more of a Magic and Kill everything guy then Steampunk and kill everything guy. Sadly my nearest store that sells Hordes is.....an hour and a half away. Any ways to buy them online yet?
    I needs me some Trollbloods.

SIG.gif
    edited September 2006
    One comment on the Warmachine rules: the full rules are in Prime; the ones that come with the battlegroups are very simplified.

The other books aren't really needed though. All minis come with a stat card with all the info you need, but the books are full of fluff and longer descriptions of units.

edited September 2006
    Holy shit those models look amazing. I need to start playing this game, I think I'd go with Hordes though, I'm more of a Magic and Kill everything guy then Steampunk and kill everything guy. Sadly my nearest store that sells Hordes is.....an hour and a half away. Any ways to buy them online yet?
    I needs me some Trollbloods.

TheWarStore has all that is currently available up for purchase.

Hordes is a very young game, so don't be put off by the small variety in units. It'll change fast.

• WarhedWarhed Registered User
    edited September 2006
    About how much does a 750 point army run? I am trying to get a few buddies and myself into the game, and we are all hoping it costs less than a full 40k army.

edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:

The other books aren't really needed though. All minis come with a stat card with all the info you need, but the books are full of fluff and longer descriptions of units.

full rules are actually in Hordes : Primal, Prime is out of date.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Warhed wrote:
    About how much does a 750 point army run? I am trying to get a few buddies and myself into the game, and we are all hoping it costs less than a full 40k army.

not as much as say a 2000 pt 40k army but will still run you around 200 im guessing.

The thing about privateer press that you have to remember is they price on the "weight" of the model not the point value like GW. So, the new calvary that just came out that are huge and heavy cost 100 for a unit of 5, but the majority of their stuff is actually priced well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    Warhed wrote:

not as much as say a 2000 pt 40k army but will still run you around 200 im guessing.

The thing about privateer press that you have to remember is they price on the "weight" of the model not the point value like GW. So, the new calvary that just came out that are huge and heavy cost 100 for a unit of 5, but the majority of their stuff is actually priced well.

100 US dollars for a unit of 5?

edited September 2006
    yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    yes

I had asked that in the hopes that you would elaborate, perhaps by offering a name, or link, or something. I haven't seen any kind of unit that would cost 100 dollars. Are you sure you haven't seen some big clunky solo and resolved in your heart to put it in groups of five?

edited September 2006
    The actual unit box has three models and comes for about 50 bucks. You can expand that unit to five models, and each new model will cost around say, 15-20 bucks if i'm not mistaken.

The cavalry is beyond awesome, but I'm not buying any until they lower the prices, and neither are many other players.

uhlannews.jpg

vengersnews.jpg

edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Wah? Warmachine rules are in a Hordes book? What are warcasters doing there?

edited September 2006
    Iskander wrote:
    big horseys

Ah, okay. I was looking for a 100 dollar box of five. :P

edited September 2006
    Full unit of 5 Iron Fang Uhlans is retail priced 99.99, obviously you don't have to pay retail but still

http://www.dungeontrader.com/store/item-detail.cfm?ID=PIP33043a&storeid=1

never saw a $100 unit?

Clearly you don't play games workshop games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    Full unit of 5 Iron Fang Uhlans is retail priced 99.99, obviously you don't have to pay retail but still

http://www.dungeontrader.com/store/item-detail.cfm?ID=PIP33043a&storeid=1

never saw a $100 unit?

Clearly you don't play games workshop games

I in fact do not play Games Workshop games, mainly due to the fact that one morning I woke up, looked at my body, and realized it wasn't made out of some kind of self-replicating precious stone. When I said I hadn't seen a 100 dollar unit, I had meant in Warmachines.

This is mainly because the unit pack is sold in a threesome and I didn't know it goes up to five. Heh.

• KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Quick question.

How many points are the units worth, in total, that come in the Warmachine group packs and Hordes warpacks? I just want to get an idea of how many models it would cost to get a 500 point army. I seem to recall that the Warmachine boxes were 350 points, but I could be wrong about that, and I have no idea about the Hordes box.

Thanks in advance!

edited September 2006
    My Khador battlegroup adds up to 302 points.

• -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it possible to play an army without using warjacks? And would it be any fun?

I love all the models except warjacks.

8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
    edited September 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    Is it possible to play an army without using warjacks? And would it be any fun?

I love all the models except warjacks.

yes, most tournament armies are not very jack heavy.

I typically play with 1-2 jack max in a 500 pt game, that number may move to 3 in a 750 game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Some sample army lists I whipped up based on battleboxes and their relevant costs :

This army is a basic sorsha 500 pt list, pretty easy to play. Cost of all the models using warstore.net prices would be

Battlebox $31.99
    Widowmakers : $13.59
    Man-o-War Demo Corps unit box + 2 blisters : $51.97
    Mortar : $9.59
    Eiriss : $6.39
    Total Cost : $113.53

Army: Battlebox 500
    Faction: Khador
    Army Points: 495/500
    Victory Points: 20
      Kommander Sorscha Kratikoff
      [list:62b63834fe]
    • Destroyer
    • Juggernaut
    Man-o-War Demolition Corps (5)
    Widowmakers
    Winter Guard Mortar Crew
    Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
    [/list:u:62b63834fe]

A 500 point Legion of Everblight list I use for steamroller 2.0 tournaments...its cheese, but works.
    Cost :
    Battlebox : 39.99
    Seraph x3 : 43.17
    Archers : 32.77
    Totem Hunter : 11.99
    Total Cost : 127.92

Army: Lylyth Steamroller - Mobile
    Faction: Legion of Everblight
    Army Points: 497/500
    Victory Points: 17
      Lylyth, Herald of Everblight
      Seraph
      Seraph
      Seraph
      Shredder
      Shredder
      Shredder
      Blighted Archers (10)
      Totem Hunter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Wah? Warmachine rules are in a Hordes book? What are warcasters doing there?

Nothing. Of course Primal has no focus manipulation rules as its main mechanik is Fury. Everything else is in there, though.

edited September 2006
    About how viable would a Cryx army be using mostly the Undead Pirate figs and maybe a few warjacks? They tickle me in a way that I like to be tickled.

edited September 2006
    once the new superiority cryx stuff comes out a Skarre Raiding army will be quite nice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    once the new superiority cryx stuff comes out a Skarre Raiding army will be quite nice.

Where would be a good place to see some of the new Cryx stuff? I haven't been able to find any good Warmachine fan sites yet.

edited September 2006
    only place i know that has the stats and stuff are the books, privateer puts the smack down on people having sites with the stats.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wish this was a video game :( Miniature gaming doesn't excite my friends and I dislike the prospect of painting these things (I'll fuck it up, and instead of some kind of super awesome cool mech, I'll have a piece of coated scrap metal :( ), but it looks SOO fun. And I'm in love with the d20 Iron Kingoms. I still need Liber Mechanika and the new version of the TWT if I want to own all of it, but we haven't played in a while so I haven't been buying :(

Good reading material, excellent art, the RPG is awesome and the modules are some of the best I've ever read/ran. Just...awesomeness. I was thinking of making a thread about the RPG itself before I saw this thread. But I'll not deviate off topic any more:

Warmachine: The models are very pretty and the supporting material is very solid and cool.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have for more cryx then a good man should.

I am actually scared by each new book that comes out.

Scared I will never, ever, own a fully painted, complete army for ANY wargame, ever.
    Warhed wrote:
    About how viable would a Cryx army be using mostly the Undead Pirate figs and maybe a few warjacks? They tickle me in a way that I like to be tickled.

The undead pirates are a medium infantry unit. They're pretty tough, and they have good surviability, but there's a serious class difference between infantry and even little warjacks. You should be able to work in one or two big jacks, some of the little pursuit ones, and a few infantry units besides.

"Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
    edited September 2006
    Is there an army building program for Warmachine/Hordes? Sorry if this has been posted, I didn't seem to notice it.

This discussion has been closed.