As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game compatibility with LCD Projection TV

SchideSchide Yeoh!Registered User regular
My question is basically this, are there any issues concerning running a console, let's say a 360, on a Sony Wega 60" LCD Projection TV?

My uncle has lent us his tv for a few months as he is going to be moving (it's complicated so we'll leave it at that), and he has told us he doesn't want any video games to be played on it because "it's not good for the tv". I'm not entirely sure where he got this information, but I considered this to be suspect considering I hadn't seen anything of the like. Of course he could very well be right, which is why I'm asking.

It almost doesn't matter though, even if I tell him that people say it's ok if it is, he won't listen and just continue to believe the "they" or whoever told him about it in the first place.

Schide on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yea, if it's LCD there are no issues. Some older plasma screens had burn-in issues, but even newer plasmas are okay with that now.

Your uncle is probably just paranoid because he spent $texas on his TV and has absolutely no idea at all how they work.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    My question is basically this, are there any issues concerning running a console, let's say a 360, on a Sony Wega 60" LCD Projection TV?

My uncle has lent us his tv for a few months as he is going to be moving (it's complicated so we'll leave it at that), and he has told us he doesn't want any video games to be played on it because "it's not good for the tv". I'm not entirely sure where he got this information, but I considered this to be suspect considering I hadn't seen anything of the like. Of course he could very well be right, which is why I'm asking.

It almost doesn't matter though, even if I tell him that people say it's ok if it is, he won't listen and just continue to believe the "they" or whoever told him about it in the first place.

Unless you plan to leave the game on pause for the entire time you have the TV, it won't do anything. That's a throwback from the days of CRT projection TVs, where you would get image burn-in. You might get some temporary image retention if you play a bunch of 4:3 aspect games on it, but you'll get the same from watching a marathon of 2.35:1 aspect movies.

That said, it's his TV. Probably shouldn't do it, no matter how ignorant he's being about the truth.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. That was pretty much my thought, I knew about the burn-in from old sets and had kinda heard about certain plasma tvs have issues, but nothing about LCD.

But really this was more about my curiosity over the matter because I won't games on it since he asked me not to, though I might try to talk to him about it, sometime. But yeah, thanks.

Schide on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. That was pretty much my thought, I knew about the burn-in from old sets and had kinda heard about certain plasma tvs have issues, but nothing about LCD.

But really this was more about my curiosity over the matter because I won't games on it since he asked me not to, though I might try to talk to him about it, sometime. But yeah, thanks.

Ask him if he watches sports, news, or anything else that has a static scoreboard/ticker/static logo. That's just as likely to cause burn-in.

In a severe case, you can get residual images on LCDs, but again, we're talking "leave it paused on full brightness for several weeks" severe.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.