As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AIM clients?

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
so I'm looking for a decent AIM client. I don't need much - just one that isn't bloatware or spyware and has some decent features. one thing that's important to me is buddy alerts - I need a pop-up window to tell me when certain people come online, because I tend to miss these things when I'm in the middle of playing a game. =p also, timestamps are nice - particularly ones that let you know when someone signed on or off. I used to have one that did all this but I don't anymore and I don't remember what it was. I'm using pidgin now and it's kind of meh.

DiscoZombie on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Im still a trillian user, I've tried to switch clients every now and then but I always come back. It has a fairly good amount of features.

Iruka on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trillian does pretty much all you want

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks guys - I thought I tried Trillian before and didn't like it, but I just reinstalled it at your suggestion and it seems to be just what i need :D

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I also will suggest trillian. I've been using it for years and I love it.

Edit: you beat me are installed it again. hopefully it's better for you this time around

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    in case you end up disliking trillian for some reason...umm...i use Pidgin these days and it's pretty radical dewd!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pidgin is > than all!

rfalias on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Web-based IM is sweet.

www.meebo.com

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I didn't like Pidgin because it was too no-frills. didn't have pop-ups for when people IM, nor did it tell me when people sign on or off (though maybe there was an option for it that I never found).

I also don't like tabbed IMs. I love tabbed internet browsing, but keep your tabs out of my IMs! if you get an IM in a non-open tab, it doesn't blink on your taskbar so how do I know who's talking at me?

there are probably options to turn this off too, I haven't bothered looking yet. =p

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Press Ctrl + P

Interface tab turns off tabbed IM's
    Sounds for alerts on sign on/off

rfalias on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tabbed IM'ing is amazing. instead of having 5-6 windows on the taskbar, you have one. if the window is not active, it will blink when you receive any IM, and any un-read IM's from other tabs will appear by showing red text for the contact name in the tab.(in pidgin at least)

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't like Pidgin because it was too no-frills. didn't have pop-ups for when people IM, nor did it tell me when people sign on or off (though maybe there was an option for it that I never found).

I also don't like tabbed IMs. I love tabbed internet browsing, but keep your tabs out of my IMs! if you get an IM in a non-open tab, it doesn't blink on your taskbar so how do I know who's talking at me?

there are probably options to turn this off too, I haven't bothered looking yet. =p
    yeah i'm not sure what you're thinking of because all of these complaints you have are currently doing the opposite of what you say in my default install of pidgin..haha

to each his own though, trillian is a very good client

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I prefer meebo as well.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you tried Digsby? I haven't personally used it, but it got great reviews from people who have. It's got notifications and stuff.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    Have you tried Digsby? I haven't personally used it, but it got great reviews from people who have. It's got notifications and stuff.

Digsby is really great, but it's still lacking a few features like Direct IM. What I like most about it is that the interface can be stripped down quite a bit.

kitch on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

yeah i'm not sure what you're thinking of because all of these complaints you have are currently doing the opposite of what you say in my default install of pidgin..haha

to each his own though, trillian is a very good client

Yeah in pidgin they're called buddy pounces.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »

aha - I assumed those were things that actually automatically IM'd a person when they signed on. I didn't realize they could be configured to just pop up an alert window so I never checked 'em out :o

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »

aha - I assumed those were things that actually automatically IM'd a person when they signed on. I didn't realize they could be configured to just pop up an alert window so I never checked 'em out :o

Yeah you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with it. I fully recommend pidgin.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you don't mind doing a little tinkering, Miranda is an incredibly light-weight client that does everything you'd need it to do.

voodoospork on