As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-Geo Awesomeness

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So I sat here today, remembering when I was a kid, playing on the Neo-Geo cabinets in the arcade and now I have the urge to pickup the system here again.

So having no idea how, where and what to acquire, I am looking for suggestions.

What games are good to pickup? Difference between the console and handheld. I definitely will be interested in picking up King of Fighters and probably Baseball stars. Any other recommendations or info?

precisionk on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your best bet will be to get, and modify, an arcade board into something to play on your TV. The console versions of the games are very rare compared to the arcade ones. The handheld is an entirely separate device, with its own library.

Or get ports. There are a lot of awesome ports and compilations.

yalborap on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you're okay with ports, a subscription to GameTap gets you 84 Neo Geo games including the Metal Slugs, Blazing Star, and like 40 fighting games.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gametap.

edit: SON OF A...

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Your best bet will be to get, and modify, an arcade board into something to play on your TV. The console versions of the games are very rare compared to the arcade ones. The handheld is an entirely separate device, with its own library.

Modding an arcade board to work on tv sounds like it would be a bit of an adventure. How is handheld library compared to the arcade? What is a rough amount for a system? Are the handhelds mostly used that I will be looking at or do they still sell them new?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    precisionk wrote: »

Modding an arcade board to work on tv sounds like it would be a bit of an adventure. How is handheld library compared to the arcade? What is a rough amount for a system? Are the handhelds mostly used that I will be looking at or do they still sell them new?

The handheld library's good, but remember, we're talking a 1990s handheld here. You're not getting PSP-level stuff out of this. You'll be looking at almost all used.

I paid 25 bucks for my handheld, an arcade rig will cost you a few hundred.

yalborap on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a bit of a Neo-Geo fanatic, and have one myself. Love it to bits, in fact. But it's not the easiest of platforms to get into.

Unless you have a television that natively accepts RGB signals, you're going to need some sort of conversion hardware to use an arcade board (MVS, Multi Video System) with your TV. For once, Europe has it lucky, in that most TVs with a SCART socket accept RGB. If yours doesn't, you'll need to convert the signal to NTSC or get a monitor of some sort.

Second, you'll need to wire up controllers, power, video, and sound to the board. The arcade boards use a connector which mostly conforms to the JAMMA standard, for which pinouts are available on the web. It is to be assumed that significant amounts of soldering and other wirework will be involved.

That said, MVS is the cheaper way to go. If you can find yourself a cabinet, then most of the work'll be taken care of for you. MVS boards are cheaper than the home AES system, and for the vast majority of the games you'll be likely to want to buy, much cheaper.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a Neo-Geo fanatic, and have one myself. Love it to bits, in fact. But it's not the easiest of platforms to get into.

Unless you have a television that natively accepts RGB signals, you're going to need some sort of conversion hardware to use an arcade board (MVS, Multi Video System) with your TV. For once, Europe has it lucky, in that most TVs with a SCART socket accept RGB. If yours doesn't, you'll need to convert the signal to NTSC or get a monitor of some sort.

Second, you'll need to wire up controllers, power, video, and sound to the board. The arcade boards use a connector which mostly conforms to the JAMMA standard, for which pinouts are available on the web. It is to be assumed that significant amounts of soldering and other wirework will be involved.

That said, MVS is the cheaper way to go. If you can find yourself a cabinet, then most of the work'll be taken care of for you. MVS boards are cheaper than the home AES system, and for the vast majority of the games you'll be likely to want to buy, much cheaper.

Yeah, if you can go MVS. AES is very expensive for games that while 200+ on AES will run you 40 for some on the arcade board. It depends which games you're looking to get, and the Neo Geo Pocket Color is awesome.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The DodgeBall game on Neo-Geo is pretty rad.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The Neo Geo Pocket Color is great fun as long as you're okay with GBC-era technology. If nothing else, it has the best 2 button controller of all time (the thumbstick rocks and its a shame no one has copied it). Plus, the system and most of the games are pretty cheap on eBay.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread makes me wish Neo Rasa was still around.

I recommend:

King of Fighters '98, King of Fighters 2002, King of Fighters 2003

Samurai Shodown II

Garou Mark of the Wolves

Last Blade & Last Blade 2

Magician Lord

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Twinkle Star Sprites

The Real Bout Fatal Furies are awesome as well. The Magical Drop games are quite fun too.

There's a few other things that various people like that I cannot recall. Some people love, some people hate, World Heroes for example

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

I recommend:

Samurai Shodown II

Garou Mark of the Wolves

Magician Lord

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Twinkle Star Sprites

The Real Bout Fatal Furies are awesome as well. The Magical Drop games are quite fun too.

There's a few other things that various people like that I cannot recall. Some people love, some people hate, World Heroes for example

I need to work on my Twinkle Star Sprites skills.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008

I recommend:

Samurai Shodown II

Garou Mark of the Wolves

Magician Lord

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Twinkle Star Sprites

Seeking out a game like Twinkle Star Sprites is what led me to Touhou.

I thought WindJammers was also an extremely awesome Neo Geo game for being basically XTREME PONG.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

I recommend:

Samurai Shodown II

Garou Mark of the Wolves

Magician Lord

Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug X

Twinkle Star Sprites

Seeking out a game like Twinkle Star Sprites is what led me to Touhou.

I thought WindJammers was also an extremely awesome Neo Geo game for being basically XTREME PONG.

Some other fighters for the Neo one should check out;

Breakers Revenge: A capcom like fighting game that is quite fun to play, the combo system is easy to get into as well. A favorite of mine.

Flip Shot is cool too, though good luck finding it, it's one of the rare ones. It's like windjammers except you have to hit the other person's back row of dealios in order to win.

Kabuki Klash is another fighter that is fun to play, it isn't as serious or deep as say Samurai Shodown or Last Blade, but definitely a fun little title to bust out now and then with some friends.

The King of Monster games are fun too, also neither go for very much due to them being quite common. It's a brawling wrestling styled game where you pick a giant monster guy and duke it out in cities.

Last Blade 1 and 2 are definitely worth checking out too, fluid animation, a solid fighting system, and it's basically the more combo oriented faster paced Samurai Shodown. They need to continue that series. They were going to make a 3 back before SNK closed shop originally, but alas....

Neo Turf Masters is awesome fun. An arcade golf game that is easy to play, and quite fun at that. I still need to obtain this for my cabinet ;_;

Pulstar and Blazing Star are awesome shooters, Pulstar being more of an R-Type clone and very hard. While Blazing Star it's sequel is easier to play, but more focused on score and keeping up high combos etc. I personally only own Blazing Star, and it's fun as hell. They both look exceptional too.

Rage of the Dragons is a personal favorite of mine, a tag team game that was going to use the Double Dragon license but they couldn't secure the rights. So it was retitled Rage of the Dragons, and so on. The game isn't the deepest, but it is a fairly fun and flashy fighter.

If you like Rage of the Dragons, you should check out Matrimelee, where the whole plot is absurd. People are fighting in a tournament in order to win the right to marry this princess, whom you fight at the end! The game has a refined system of Rage of the Dragons, along with added things such as your super bar only really fills if you are taking hits, not dishing them out; also when you fill up a bar an aura burst surrounds you, knocking away the opponent if they are close. It also has 4 characters from ROTD as secret ones.

And finally, Waku Waku 7. A hilariously fun fighter, with a punching bag that makes fun of Ryu. The game plays solid, is fast and very fun. Definitely one worth checking out. But really, if you don't like fighters, you're going to be playing a small number of games. The Baseball Star games are supposed to be super fun, but I have yet to play them.

EliteDoomMaster on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Neo's good for puzzle games, too, with the first two Bust-A-Moves (Puzzle Bobble), Twinkle Star Sprites, and Panel de Pon being notable mentions.

Matrimelee and Rage of the Dragons are both notable for being released after SNK died. New games came out right up until 2004, giving the system one of the longest actively supported lifespans of any platform. (I think the Atari 2600 pips it, being 1977-1992 or thereabouts.)

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Waku Waku 7

THANK YOU.

I was very disappointed reading through this thread until your post.

Also, I'd recommend King of Fighters 99 and 2000, the last two KOF games before Playmore took over. 2000 may be horribly unbalanced thanks to it's broken as hell strikers, but it's chock full of Neo Geo nostalgia. Every character in the game, and there are a lot, has two support (striker) modes. One is the character itself, while the other is another character from Neo Geo history or alternate designs of certain characters. As for 99, I refer to it as the Street Fighter Alpha of KOF games. It's hard to explain why, but if you were a long time fan of both series then I think you'll know what I mean.

Oh. Also Bust-A-Move. Can't go wrong with that.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you're into puzzle games, then Money Puzzle Exchanger (aka Money Idol Exchanger) is one of the very best I have every played. It's like a more advanced Magical Drop where you have to line up and combine lower coins to make higher denominations. It was tough as nails hard to pick up and get good at, but after a few hours it starts to click and you start making chains, and then it's kiss your free time goodbye. Multiplayer versus is absolutely intense as well with a couple of good players. I'm pretty proud that I actually beat difficulty 9 on one credit. :)

Shock Troopers 1-2 (isometric beat em up), and Viewpoint (shmup) are also fun titles.

Other Neo Geo favorites have already been mentioned like Waku Waku 7, any of the Samurai Spirits (Shodown) series (I'm partial to II and V Special,) Last Blade 1-2, and Garou.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Garou: Mark of The Wolves is probably my favorite fighting game. Awesome characters, incredible graphics and amazing sound effects. It's a very cool game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is a SNK compilation floating around on PSP, PS2, and Wii right now that has about all the games you guys are going on about. I can't vouch for the quality, but I was this close to buying it today.

Edit: It has Art of Fighting,
    Baseball Stars 2,
    Burning Fight,
    Fatal Fury,
    King of Fighters '94,
    King of the Monsters,
    Last Resort,
    Magician Lord,
    Metal Slug,
    Neo Turf Masters,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Sengoku,
    Shock Troopers,
    Super Sidekicks 3,
    Top Hunter and World Heroes

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know, I didn't care for a lot of those/there are much better versions of them around. Sengoku is a piece of trash, but Sengoku 3 is gold (the first three levels, anyway. The last three are bullshit).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Magical Drop 3, motherfuckers. That's the top played game on my home arcade machine.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Magical Drop 3, motherfuckers. That's the top played game on my home arcade machine.

My brother says MD3 is the most japanese game ever, because I usually rape the CPU in 10 seconds or the CPU rapes me as quickly. Also, it has bouncing tits.

Djiem on
  • Options
    dumbmanexdumbmanex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved pumping money into this one game, I think it was called Cross Swords. I'd compare it to Punch Out, but instead of boxers, it's a few knights versus an ass load of monsters. It get damn hard later on, big time reflexes required to survive, or if you had a deep wallet, just stick more money in and do that frenzied slash attack. Oh, it's got frogs with rapiers, mwahahaa.

dumbmanex on
    Shark it up! Action/Arcade = The Great White Destroyer (August sale, half off! ShaShaShaShaShark Month!)
    Snowballs in peril! Action/Puzzle = Snowball's Chance E1 (it's free now!)
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

My brother says MD3 is the most japanese game ever, because I usually rape the CPU in 10 seconds or the CPU rapes me as quickly. Also, it has bouncing tits.

Your definition of Japanese is strange.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Not mine, my bro's. Basically, he's saying it's japanese because it's not a long drawn-out fight, I just decimate the enemy like you'd see some pro do in a Youtube video of any other game, or the computer beats me so fast it looks like a game with incredibly ramped-up difficulty.

Djiem on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Not mine, my bro's. Basically, he's saying it's japanese because it's not a long drawn-out fight, I just decimate the enemy like you'd see some pro do in a Youtube video of any other game, or the computer beats me so fast it looks like a game with incredibly ramped-up difficulty.

I usually play survival mode. It's more of the arcadey style of play, where you keep going until you lose.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There is a SNK compilation floating around on PSP, PS2, and Wii right now that has about all the games you guys are going on about. I can't vouch for the quality, but I was this close to buying it today.

Baseball Stars 2,
    Burning Fight,
    Fatal Fury,
    King of Fighters '94,
    King of the Monsters,
    Last Resort,
    Magician Lord,
    Metal Slug,
    Neo Turf Masters,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Sengoku,
    Shock Troopers,
    Super Sidekicks 3,

From what I understand there was one released ONLY by SNKPlaymore USA, and it is terrible in terms of control issues, sound problems, and other crap. But if you don't care about all of that, then it probably wouldn't bother you.

EliteDoomMaster on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KoF '98
    Blazing Star
    Garou: Mark of the Wolves (a million times this)

Garou: Mark of the Wolves, just to make sure.

And anything Slash recommends.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I should get a gametap account just for these. Dammit guys. Look what you've done now to me.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just because no one seems to have mentioned them, SNK are in the process of making compilations for all their fighters (except, it seems, Last Blade and Garou). They've already made an Art of Fighting collection, two Fatal Fury ones, and a World Heroes one (though that's technically not SNK). They're all for PS2, while the SNK Arcade Classics and, as far as I can understand, all their upcoming collections, are for the Wii and possibly PSP.

The first King of Fighters collection (Orochi Saga) is out in October and will contain King of Fighters '94, '95, '96, '97 AND '98. So that's 5 games, including '98, which is generally regarded as the finest in the series. Additionally, in January they'll release King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match, which has the boss team from '96 added into the bunch, and a whole slew of gameplay tweaks and extra stuff. It'll retail for $25, I think. The collection will, for some bizarre reason, apparently cost $15 on PS2, $20 on PSP and $30 on Wii.

The second King of Fighters collection (NESTS) will probably come out next year, and will almost certainly contain '99-2k2, and maybe even Neowave or something.

Now, the Samurai Shodown Anthology, which, as far as I know, will also be out this year, will contain every Samurai Shodown game ever made, except Samurai Shodown RPG, the Neo Geo pocket ones, and the NG64 games. So, in one collection, you'll get Samurai Shodown 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5 Special and 6. Which is an INSANE deal, as I doubt it'll cost more than $30.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Erm... the Wii has a bunch of Neo Geo games in its Virtual Console as well...

Strange that nobody has mentioned them yet... are they badly emulated or somesuch?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »

Strange that nobody has mentioned them yet... are they badly emulated or somesuch?

I don't think they're badly emulated, I just think most people think they're overpriced since a single Neo Geo VC game is $9 when instead you can either get a GameTap subscription ($60/year for dozens of Neo Geo games + even more cool non-Neo Geo games) or pick up the SNK Arcade Classic compilation for $30 or less (16 Neo Geo games)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you have the room and are willing to look around, a cabinet might be worth considering. Of course, it basically means dedicating a good portion of a room to one console. But, Neo Geo cabs are often pretty reasonable. You can get one with a 25" screen in the $300-$400 range. I've seen ones with 19" screens for as low as $200 - which is in the same price range as the home console, and often less the consolized-arcade boards.

I'd suggest some games, but all the ones I'd pick have already been named. Oh well.

KMGor on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Baseball Stars 2,
    Burning Fight,
    Fatal Fury,
    King of Fighters '94,
    King of the Monsters,
    Last Resort,
    Magician Lord,
    Metal Slug,
    Neo Turf Masters,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Sengoku,
    Shock Troopers,
    Super Sidekicks 3,

From what I understand there was one released ONLY by SNKPlaymore USA, and it is terrible in terms of control issues, sound problems, and other crap. But if you don't care about all of that, then it probably wouldn't bother you.

This is terribly vague info. What is wrong with the sound and controls and other crap? Do you have a source?

Cobell on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »

I don't think they're badly emulated, I just think most people think they're overpriced since a single Neo Geo VC game is $9 when instead you can either get a GameTap subscription ($60/year for dozens of Neo Geo games + even more cool non-Neo Geo games) or pick up the SNK Arcade Classic compilation for $30 or less (16 Neo Geo games)

Ya, But Given that some neogeo AES games are stupid expensive, even 9$ isn't that bad really. I have a hard time finding MVS neogeo games for that price shipped. Its all in perspective really.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cobell wrote: »

Baseball Stars 2,
    Burning Fight,
    Fatal Fury,
    King of Fighters '94,
    King of the Monsters,
    Last Resort,
    Magician Lord,
    Metal Slug,
    Neo Turf Masters,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Sengoku,
    Shock Troopers,
    Super Sidekicks 3,

This is terribly vague info. What is wrong with the sound and controls and other crap? Do you have a source?

The only source I have is the rants and raves of the fanatics on neo-geo.com I'm just restating what they said. I never played it, so I can't tell you if it's 100% true or not.

EliteDoomMaster on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dumbmanex wrote: »
    I loved pumping money into this one game, I think it was called Cross Swords. I'd compare it to Punch Out, but instead of boxers, it's a few knights versus an ass load of monsters. It get damn hard later on, big time reflexes required to survive, or if you had a deep wallet, just stick more money in and do that frenzied slash attack. Oh, it's got frogs with rapiers, mwahahaa.

Hi Five Good sir. I loved Crossed Swords! I'm really hoping it shows up again in one form or another.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    dumbmanex wrote: »

Hi Five Good sir. I loved Crossed Swords! I'm really hoping it shows up again in one form or another.

Gametap.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cobell wrote: »

Baseball Stars 2,
    Burning Fight,
    Fatal Fury,
    King of Fighters '94,
    King of the Monsters,
    Last Resort,
    Magician Lord,
    Metal Slug,
    Neo Turf Masters,
    Samurai Shodown,
    Sengoku,
    Shock Troopers,
    Super Sidekicks 3,

The only source I have is the rants and raves of the fanatics on neo-geo.com I'm just restating what they said. I never played it, so I can't tell you if it's 100% true or not.

Went and browsed through the neo-geo.com forums. Looks like a hardware thing; they tend to think PS2 < PSP < Wii. They have issues with load times and the emulator not being exactly like the neogeo hardware. Some sound issues in Samurai Shodown. Looks like people generally like the new front-end and menus but not the possible resources it's consuming from the emulator.

Cobell on
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember this frisbee game that was really cool. Wind riders or something? Wind runners? Wind was involved.

Also: B-B-B-B-B-BAAAASEBALL STARRRS TWOOOOO

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    @Lamoid- Windjammers?

@Cobell, EliteDoomMaster, xWonderboyx- i have the SNK PSP collection, and whilst not perfect, it IS a great compilation of Neo Geo games if you aren't a purist- you're carrying around 16 pieces of arcade history IN YOUR FUCKING POCKET, which i really love. Also, unlockable art, music etc. are great additions to the package!

DusT_HounD on