As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    However, the maverick oozes awesome. There's something about having a pistol with a rotating 6 shot chamber.
    I may have to load-up with a Maverick and that side-by-side Nerf shotgun setup I saw the other day online, just on principle.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nitefinders definitely fire further. At least, in my experience. I've got a Nitefinder, a Maverick and a Recon, and the Nitefinder fires nearly twice as far as both the Maverick and the Recon. However, the maverick oozes awesome. There's something about having a pistol with a rotating 6 shot chamber. The Nitefinder you have to put a new dart in the barrel and load it each shot. And the gun only hold 2 spare darts, so you'll have to have pockets of them at the ready.

I have a feeling that it's because you have to load it each time which allows the Nitefinder to more directly focus air into the dart and give it the extra range.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just obtained the Target exclusive Alpha Trooper CS-18 and the Toys R Us Barrel Break.

The Alpha Trooper is essentially the Raider as it can slam fire. Range seems pretty good in my not so scientific test. I like it over the Raider, as it's from grip, which is used to load the darts, doesn't have the pistol grip. It will take any attachable stock and has a single rail on the top.

The Barrel Break is pretty awesome and seems to be totally new inside. It has two separate chambers which are primed when the barrel is opened up to insert the darts. Darts can be fired at the same time or individually depending on how hard you pull the trigger.

Still need to go to Walmart to see if their exclusive, the Spectre, is out yet.

Also saw one of those vests that hold all the darts and clips today. The best thing about it is the built in holster for a Maverick. Made me think about making a halloween costume of a grizzled Nerf War veteren. "The stuff I've seen... I saw Billy take one of those big nerf arrows to the eye. Almost gave him a bruise. It was horrible. He's still in therapy. "

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just obtained the Target exclusive Alpha Trooper CS-18 and the Toys R Us Barrel Break.

The Alpha Trooper is essentially the Raider as it can slam fire. Range seems pretty good in my not so scientific test. I like it over the Raider, as it's from grip, which is used to load the darts, doesn't have the pistol grip. It will take any attachable stock and has a single rail on the top.

The Barrel Break is pretty awesome and seems to be totally new inside. It has two separate chambers which are primed when the barrel is opened up to insert the darts. Darts can be fired at the same time or individually depending on how hard you pull the trigger.

Also saw one of those vests that hold all the darts and clips today. The best thing about it is the built in holster for a Maverick. Made me think about making a halloween costume of a grizzled Nerf War veteren. "The stuff I've seen... I saw Billy take one of those big nerf arrows to the eye. Almost gave him a bruise. It was horrible. He's still in therapy. "

This makes me ask if there's any site that has reviews of different nerf guns and how they compare. I've been tempted to get stuff to sit alongside my maverick but they've put out a lot in the past few years.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd recommend the Barrel Break for sheer bad-assery and difference.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Woah woah woah, they're out?

I just got plans for tomorrow. NERF plans.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I was walking by an endcap display at Target and saw it. I then rushed to the Toys R Us to see if they had the other one.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited August 2010

I was walking by an endcap display at Target and saw it. I then rushed to the Toys R Us to see if they had the other one.

Whats strange is that I was near Toys R Us two days ago and decided to pop in and see if they had it yet. I must have just missed it. Or my Toys R Us is slow (yay south Georgia).

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Whats strange is that I was near Toys R Us two days ago and decided to pop in and see if they had it yet. I must have just missed it. Or my Toys R Us is slow (yay south Georgia).

It was on the very top shelf of the nerf shelf. At the two in Omaha, there is a nerf "aisle" and a separate end-cappy kind of shelf with more nerf guns, it was on the latter.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really need someplace to put all my Nerf guns. I tried to mount them on the wall with those little hooks you can stick on, but none were deep/wide enough. Any other ideas on how to display them that wouldn't involve me carpenting something?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Modded/high-durability pegboard?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Perhaps. But I'd still have to attach that to the wall, or lean it against it. Maybe there's some kind of wire rack or like...a pedestal I can just sit on top of a bookshelf?

There's got to be something like this for displaying real guns. I just need to use that, or at least copy it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    crocodilemachinecrocodilemachine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sooo, seeing how nerf makes Nerf Swords and axes now... How long do you think it'll be before they make rubber handles for the guns so you can pistol whip your opponent?

crocodilemachine on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They are not going to make those. Ever.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still want a Nerf Bayonet. Most of the guns have rails underneath the barrel anyway.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Nitefinders definitely fire further. At least, in my experience. I've got a Nitefinder, a Maverick and a Recon, and the Nitefinder fires nearly twice as far as both the Maverick and the Recon. However, the maverick oozes awesome. There's something about having a pistol with a rotating 6 shot chamber. The Nitefinder you have to put a new dart in the barrel and load it each shot. And the gun only hold 2 spare darts, so you'll have to have pockets of them at the ready.

I have a feeling that it's because you have to load it each time which allows the Nitefinder to more directly focus air into the dart and give it the extra range.

Definitely. The Nitefinder is basically a sealed (or mostly sealed) plunger. There's more pressure buildup behind the dart, so it exits with more force, and travels further. The maverick internals aren't like that, there's gaps in it, because it has a rotating barrel. Air pressure is lost when you fire it. I guess the recon internals are similar.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This reminds me of when my friend modded a nerf gun for a science project. We had to invent something.

The problem he was solving with his invention, and I quote, was "not being able to pwn my opponents over long distances".

He got a C.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I finally got around to completing a project I actually started. I took apart a Deploy CS-6. Well, now that I'm done, I can at least say it fires, but it doesn't actually Deploy anymore. Oops.
    nerf1.jpg

nerf2.jpg

But the fun part is this. I took out that old wimpy red LED and beefed it up to a nice Cree XR-E. Bright!
    nerflight1.jpg

nerflight2.jpg

Modified light vs Stock light.
    nerflight3.jpgnerflight4.jpg

The shot of the light in action doesn't really do it justice, I think. But my photography skills suck, so it's what I got.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What kind of paint did you use for that? Is it lasting, chipping, etc?

Because I need my Deploy to look that bad ass.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What kind of paint did you use for that? Is it lasting, chipping, etc?

Because I need my Deploy to look that bad ass.

Just took some ultra flat black spray paint that said it was good for plastics. But if you look at the front of the gun, there is already a huge scratch where the paint rubbed off. And I can't tell if it's the extra paint or I just didn't put the spring back on right, but the magazine side doesn't flop down all the way when you deploy it. Was a learning lesson for me, I suppose.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, storage is getting a bit nuts.

We have a vest that can hold four clips, 12 darts, a handheld blaster, a n-force sword and a mesh pouch for wahtever. There's also the bandolier with room for six clips and 12 darts, and finally there's the ammo pack with 50 darts that can hold six clips instead.

Combined with a longstrike, and that's 19 clips you could be running around with. More if you use flipclips. Even more darts if you use the new 18 dart clips and maybe have a 35 dart drum in your firearm.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have it on good authority that a local Walmart has the new full auto Nerf gun. I'm going to check it out.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I HAD the box in my hands but Walmart refused to sell it to me since there was a "recall" they said. Bull shit. Some moron put it on the shelf to early.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Huh. So today I stopped by Target and they had about fifty boxes of Stampedes and had no trouble selling me one.

In my eagerness I got the wrong batteries. :( I can attest that the shield works on all the other guns. Putting it on a Maverick is ridiculously awesome.

*Edit Update* I got batteries. It fires as fast as the full auto MG and can go single shot fairly easily. It comes with the shield, the front grip/bipod, three 18 round clips, and a single 6 round clip. It works very well with either of the drum mags.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What is the official release date on that?

I also found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2DfcE8yLo

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You guys are making the wait for this that much more unbearable.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since I am trying to take my mind off the stampede as I (im)patiently wait for it's release I am curious if anyone knows of any decent mods for the longstrike? There's 0 on nerfhaven and I wasn't able to find any decent ones via google (spring stretching seems to be the extent of it).

Also for those that open up a lot of nerf weapons, do you just buy big bad bows (BBB) for the springs or is there a comparable spring I can get at home depot/loews/builder's square? I have no idea what to look for in springs and I'd rather not just destroy another $20 gun simply for the spring.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've heard all the new guys with the cylinder internals are nearly impossible to mod. Unless you want to completely redo the insides, like making the Deploy un-transformable to fit an extra spring in the stock.

I know if you check eBay you can find plenty of people selling specific springs for certain guns. I remember one of the forums had suggestions on the sizes, too, and you can definitely get them at a hardware store.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since I am trying to take my mind off the stampede as I (im)patiently wait for it's release I am curious if anyone knows of any decent mods for the longstrike? There's 0 on nerfhaven and I wasn't able to find any decent ones via google (spring stretching seems to be the extent of it).

Also for those that open up a lot of nerf weapons, do you just buy big bad bows (BBB) for the springs or is there a comparable spring I can get at home depot/loews/builder's square? I have no idea what to look for in springs and I'd rather not just destroy another $20 gun simply for the spring.

Just finished taking the air restrictor out of mine: the longstrike internals are the same as the Recon pretty much, so any guides for that will work.

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I saw the Stampede at the store and drooled over it for a while.

Too bad it's ludicrously overpriced.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't see the Stampede at my Wal-Mart or Toys R' Us yesterday and lamented not being able to buy it :(

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Targets seem to have piles of them.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Have to say the stampede makes a hilarious "pew pew" noise as it shoots that makes it more entertaining. Although I am interested in hearing how long the batteries will power it. I am hoping (and would believe) a pretty long time but I am not good at estimating those kinds of things.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone bought the Nerf Wii gun package?

518TYVFXozL.jpg

Just curious. Every now and then I'm tempted to grab it on a whim.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Funny you mention the wii game since I received it as a gift last year (or a similar one, different package and the gun is yellow but it looks to be the same) and just found it as I was reorganizing a room. The blaster isn't bad although the grip is kinda small so it is a little uncomfortable. The reason being is that it's not very long and there's something that looks like they want you to attach the wii lanyard thing so you don't drop/throw it. No idea how the game plays or whether the gun is worth putting work into though. As I said I just rediscovered it.

On an unrelated topic has anyone spray painted their darts? I am thinking of painting them with glow in the dark paint but I don't have a clue as to how this would (or wouldn't) affect the darts or if there is an appropriate paint to use. I am not even sure that it would be worthwhile to do so but it was a random idea as I was looking at other parts for future mods.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I believe they already make glow in the dark darts. I think the Firefly has a light that charges them up and everything.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks in no small part to this thread, I've been slowly building up a Nerf arsenal. Mav and Recon, then picked up the Alpha Trooper, and now I grabbed a Barrel Break (Toys R Us had it for 25% off with 16 free darts). Gotta say, despite the eye-rolling from the Mrs., they're fantastic. The Break seems to be the strongest out of the box, but I'm saddened that all the spare suction darts and slimlines don't really work with it. Looks like I'm going to have to carry 3 types of darts from now on.

Almost tempted to buy a Stampede today, but that's a steep price for something I use to plink around with and terrorize the household with.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was leaning towards a longstrike, but picked up a Stampede. The back end is pretty heavy with the six D batteries. I haven't had a jam yet, but occasionally a dry fire followed by the dart firing. The firing rate is near one round per two seconds. It works great with the 18 round magazines or the 34 round drum magazine.

Picking this up has reignited the nerf battles with the kids.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know what's wrong with yours but my Stampede fires way faster. I'm getting two rounds at slightly less than a second.

Librarian's ghost on