As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've named my Barricade 'The Hair Dryer' due to it's power on noise. A stealth gun it isn't.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I've named my Barricade 'The Hair Dryer' due to it's power on noise. A stealth gun it isn't.

You wait to turn it on right at the last second when you sneak up on someone. Let's them know how screwed they are.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »

You wait to turn it on right at the last second when you sneak up on someone. Let's them know how screwed they are.

Mod it to spin up when the trigger is pulled slightly. Also to spin up faster and to a higher final RPM.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I. Wut.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not sure how I feel about this

MrDelish on
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    there is also second video showing the new line of guns

http://www.adultfansofnerf.com/nerf-vortex-video-2/

Octobot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'll have to get my hands on one of the vortex guns before I make a judgement on disc shooters.. I remember ones from my youth that could take your eye out.

color scheme is kinda fugly.. but hey nothing in the N-Strike series is pretty (color wise)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there a good resource for someone starting to paint their guns? I've got zero painting experience for plastics and I assume there is some sort of treatment that should be done before spraying. Totally in the dark here.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    IT makes me happy that I still have my original blue Maverick.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Same question as Muriden. From what I can tell from tutorials, the steps are:
    -Sand until shine is gone
    -Spray black primer
    -Spray primary colors
    -Paint on details

Is this correct? Also, if I wanted to paint on an image, would the best route be to cut a stencil out of wax paper, then spray/paint over it?

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Is this correct? Also, if I wanted to paint on an image, would the best route be to cut a stencil out of wax paper, then spray/paint over it?

If you wanted to go a cheap easy route I would think that you could just purchase some printer sticker paper and just cut to size. Might not look right depending on what you want but it's pretty easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Sticker-Project-Inches-04383/dp/B0009DTDYM

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    The 'traditional' method is vinyl frisk (a relative of sticky tape really) as it holds its shape when cut, doesn't leave ragged edges like some papers do and comes pre-stickied so you don't have to worry about gluing internal edges down.

A decent, and much cheaper, alternative is masking tape; just remember to varnish underneath the mask to protect the base-coat before putting it on and use a medium-tack tape for the shape itself.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They aren't discs like the little O-Rings of yore.

They are like thick little foam frisbees.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Aw man, ANOTHER new type of ammo? Like keeping the twelve types of darts together wasn't a problem, especially when a friend who never played tried to shove the wrong kind in a clip. I wonder why they'd go with disks?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've got a Nerf N-Strike Recon CS-6. I don't even want to mod it, it's so fun to play with. With the various stock and barrel components, you can go from a maverick-sized weapon to an SMG to an assault rifle pretty easily. The only unfortunate thing is that it has to be manually cocked and can't go semi-auto.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Welp, painted my Maverick, and it turned out okay for a first paintjob.
    Then I went out and bought the Longstrike. Dismantling it now.
    What have you done to me, Nerf thread.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Octobot wrote: »
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    ARISE, LORD NERF THREAD

...My three year old and I love shooting NERF guns at the windows and mirrors in the house. What guns are the easiest to cock? He struggles with the Mavericks we have.

the barricade might be good choice, its a semi-auto that uses a fly-wheel to shoot. I picked one up at walmart and it came with a free stock (similar to the one that comes with the raider but in yellow)

Great suggestion, this thing is perfect. The only problem is that my massive collection of suction cupped darts won't work in the Barricade. It needs fancy ass whistle darts (suction cups jam).

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My baby:

2rorqtl.jpg

Chopped down NiteFinder. Brass barrel nestled in PVC. Spring upgraded. Batteries wired to a halved Mag Lite. Switch toggles between trigger pressure and always-on.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anybody run into issues getting darts to fire with the vulcans? For some reason I routinely get 4 or 5 misfires out of an entire belt.

wmelon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    wmelon wrote: »
    Anybody run into issues getting darts to fire with the vulcans? For some reason I routinely get 4 or 5 misfires out of an entire belt.

That's pretty much par for the course for me too.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Anyone have trouble prying open their Longstrike? I've unscrewed all the screws, but the outside won't come apart. I can get flathead screwdrivers in and have a gap around the whole gun, but the case still won't come apart.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out they decided to glue in the barrel anchor things. Not a big fan of that decision.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    More Vortex info from http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com/

Looks like one is a fully battery powered one (fucking Nerf.. they really need to move away from the 6 C cell )

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you thinking you want something rechargable or just a different battery? Also, anyone have any guesses for accurate range on these disc guns? I seem to recall that when I was playing with disc shooters as a kid that they could be pretty impressive but that's not really useful when trying to compare.

On the upside, even though its a new type of ammo, its going to be hard to get them too confused with the dart type, so you'll at least have fewer jams to clear for your friends. You'll also be poorer, but I'm sure you saw that coming.

psuedo edit: Does 20 rounds sound awfully low for an automatic to anyone else? I'm assuming that the battery powered one is automatic anyway, could be wrong easily though.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They need to move away from batteries period. Nerf shouldn't have ever had a battery powered gun. Unless it's a clip on laser sight attachment, it doesn't need batteries.

My lawn is also not an acceptable venue.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    They need to move away from batteries period. Nerf shouldn't have ever had a battery powered gun. Unless it's a clip on laser sight attachment, it doesn't need batteries.

Yea, thats my feelings. Maybe a crank or lever operated gun?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    darkmayo wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yea, thats my feelings. Maybe a crank or lever operated gun?

My friends feared me with this gun. :D

RazorBeast.jpg

And when you ran out of ammo in that, move on to this:

Sawtooth.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    While those guns are fugly, that is pretty much what I am talking about.

I like the mechanisms in the magstrike for example, as well as the hornet.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has anyone seen a stand alone pack of the 18 dart extended clips that come with the Stampede or the drum that comes with the Raider?

Muriden on
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bought the Switch Shot EX-3 Wii bundle, and even though the game itself is rubbish the gun itself is solid. First nerf gun I've ever owned. Think I'm gonna spring for the Recon CS-6 by the end of the month. Looks like the nicest of the mid-range weapons.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm chopping a couple nerf guns together. What's the recommended glue for doing that sorta thing? I'm gonna be attaching the front end off of an EBF to a Maverick and it'd be really embarassing if it just sorta fell off randomly.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for what glue to use for joining Nerf gun plastic to PVC? Once again, I'd like to avoid a "the front fell off" sorta situation and want to do this right.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Superglue should be fine. I'd think that modeling cement (the kind that comes in the red and white tube) would do fine too, since it melts plastics together.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Superglue should be fine. I'd think that modeling cement (the kind that comes in the red and white tube) would do fine too, since it melts plastics together.

I think that modeling cement is gonna be the ticket. There will be some fairly heavy use of this thing and it needs to be able to hold up.

Protomen concerts, after all, are not to be taken lightly 8-)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Good old fashion epoxy should work very well too.

I've seen some modeling cements that either dry brittle themselves, or cause the plastic to become brittle.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

I think that modeling cement is gonna be the ticket. There will be some fairly heavy use of this thing and it needs to be able to hold up.

Protomen concerts, after all, are not to be taken lightly 8-)

Depending on how thick the plastic is where you are gluing, try to shave the plastic on the outside of one end and the inside of the other so it overlaps a bit to get some more strength and surface area for the pieces to bond together, rather than just butting up one end to the other.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Superglue has great tensile strength, but terrible sheer strength. Do not use superglue, a single glancing blow will rip it off. I would vote for epoxy, or even a heat gun to literally melt them together.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So where's the best modding guides located? I'm tempted to mod my Recon but I have a feeling I'll just end up ruining it in the process.

Also the Barricade is freakin' sweet.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So where's the best modding guides located? I'm tempted to mod my Recon but I have a feeling I'll just end up ruining it in the process.

Also the Barricade is freakin' sweet.

http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18985

the modifications forum also has some handy barrel and general materials sticky threads for your viewing pleasure

edit: this may be relevant to your interests as it has suddenly become to mine. Might make the Recon useful

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Superglue has great tensile strength, but terrible sheer strength. Do not use superglue, a single glancing blow will rip it off. I would vote for epoxy, or even a heat gun to literally melt them together.

Heat gun...

How about I split the difference and use a high temp glue gun?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I got invited to a nerf war in a couple weeks. Assuming hypothetically that I want to go and don't want to settle for whatever sort of pitiful weapon is provided to me, what is a good gun that can be obtained easily and without breaking the bank? The event is being held outdoors, apparently at some sort of campground.

I always liked looking at these things when I worked for The Giraffe but I could never justify buying one.

Gaslight on